SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

May 10, 2022 at 6:07 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cooley a completely different player than Aho? I don't see that comparison at all. But this is Button anyway...
May 10, 2022 at 6:34 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: TZ11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cooley a completely different player than Aho? I don't see that comparison at all. But this is Button anyway...

Cooley sits towards the top of that crop as a talented two-way center who shows poise and intelligence in all three zones. He is a smooth skater with good edges who can stop on a dime and use his change in speed to throw off the opposing defense. His vision and ability to read the play as it is developing is a key trait of his that allows him to be effective offensively, as well as allow him to be successful on the defensive side of the puck. Defensively he gets himself into good positions, he hustles back, and he has a good understanding of where to slot in while defending on the rush. He has great awareness of his surroundings, his hands are quick in tight, and he has the skill to buy himself an extra second or two on the puck before dishing it off. His vision and passing are standout features of his offensive game as he has great playmaking abilities, though he has a heavy and accurate wrist shot as well. He is not afraid to go to the dirty areas and works hard along the boards. He has also been successful in the face-off circle. A well-rounded two-way center with nary a flaw to his game, Logan Cooley has the potential to be an important building block for whoever drafts him. - Dobber Prospects

I believe Aho is well rounded with elite offence but he has defensive flaws - so they sound similar based on what I see from dobber. What’s your counter point?
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 6:40 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Cooley sits towards the top of that crop as a talented two-way center who shows poise and intelligence in all three zones. He is a smooth skater with good edges who can stop on a dime and use his change in speed to throw off the opposing defense. His vision and ability to read the play as it is developing is a key trait of his that allows him to be effective offensively, as well as allow him to be successful on the defensive side of the puck. Defensively he gets himself into good positions, he hustles back, and he has a good understanding of where to slot in while defending on the rush. He has great awareness of his surroundings, his hands are quick in tight, and he has the skill to buy himself an extra second or two on the puck before dishing it off. His vision and passing are standout features of his offensive game as he has great playmaking abilities, though he has a heavy and accurate wrist shot as well. He is not afraid to go to the dirty areas and works hard along the boards. He has also been successful in the face-off circle. A well-rounded two-way center with nary a flaw to his game, Logan Cooley has the potential to be an important building block for whoever drafts him. - Dobber Prospects

I believe Aho is well rounded with elite offence but he has defensive flaws - so they sound similar based on what I see from dobber. What’s your counter point?

That's the main point. Aside from playmaking and skating, Cooley's defensive game is his biggest strength. He's a two-way Forward. And Cooley just doesn't remind me of Aho when watching him.
yikes liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
That's the main point. Aside from playmaking and skating, Cooley's defensive game is his biggest strength. He's a two-way Forward. And Cooley just doesn't remind me of Aho when watching him.

Makes sense - I see Cooley as a similar player to Bergeron (not as elite), I guess a comparable to Wright/ similar selection that you can be happy with.
May 10, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

That and Wright does not seem like the type of guy to become the next Bergeron. I feel prime Tavares is the comparable. Which is still good as Tavares is still a very good center despite what some silly people say.
May 10, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
That and Wright does not seem like the type of guy to become the next Bergeron. I feel prime Tavares is the comparable.

It's about play-style, it's not meant to project their careers. And when going by play style, Bergeron works best for Wright.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 7:24 p.m.
WentWughes

RIP Jack Hughes
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and Devil liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 10:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

RIP Jack Hughes

Jacks mother to her husband after seeing that

"Listen here mr! you draft our son #1OA this instant at that draft"
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2022 at 11:46 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

RIP Jack Hughes

They definitely should consider drafting Hughes first overall
aadoyle liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Scouching's Cooley report just dropped.
Perfect timing for fans of any team drafting in the top 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPw38lBT94
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
With some of these mock drafts coming out now that the draft is set, really hope Dubas trades the Leafs 1st for a 2nd and 3rd. If some of these happen there could be some really nice value picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: MatthewsFan
With some of these mock drafts coming out now that the draft is set, really hope Dubas trades the Leafs 1st for a 2nd and 3rd. If some of these happen there could be some really nice value picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I find it kinda strange that I feel like Dubas is overall a very average GM but at the same time I find him very strong in finding value later on in the draft, probably on par with the Canes front office.

Seems like he’s the polar opposite of Tom Fitzgerald in that regard anyway.
May 11, 2022 at 5:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I feel Dubas should do what he did in 2018

As he turned the 25th OA pick into the 29th OA pick and got a 3rd with it

Based on what I saw last season Dubas should he decide to trade out of the first round he could probs get 2 2nds for that 1st then go from there. Kind of like what Carolina and Nashville did.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
WentWughes

That tends to be a smart move every draft. Trade a late 1st for an early 2nd + Mid 2nd/early 3rd. You get to pick the guys who fell who were projected to go late 1st anyway
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 5:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Tintin
I find it kinda strange that I feel like Dubas is overall a very average GM but at the same time I find him very strong in finding value later on in the draft, probably on par with the Canes front office.

Seems like he’s the polar opposite of Tom Fitzgerald in that regard anyway.

Dubas gets the credit, but at the end of the day his scouting staff is the one who recommends who he picks (or perhaps they pick depending on how he runs things)

I know Bergevin let Timmins run the draft
May 11, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
That tends to be a smart move every draft. Trade a late 1st for an early 2nd + Mid 2nd/early 3rd. You get to pick the guys who fell who were projected to go late 1st anyway

That's what I am hoping for. Especially if a few teams reach in the 1st round for a player they like.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 6:04 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Dubas gets the credit, but at the end of the day his scouting staff is the one who recommends who he picks (or perhaps they pick depending on how he runs things)

I know Bergevin let Timmins run the draft

Yup, Wes Clark, Reid Mitchell, Eric Joyce, Ryan Hardy, Jim Paliafito, Ari Vuori, Scott Bell, Thommie Bergman, Victor Carneiro, Christoffer Hedlund, Radim Jelinek, Olegs Koreskovs, Garth Malarchuk, Tony Martino, Real Paiement, Darren Ritchie, Chris Roque, Grigori Shafigulin, Jim Vesey, Jackson Maxwell, Mike Penny, Richard Pollock, Jim Roque, Tom Watt are the brains behind Dubas.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 11, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
I wonder where Yurov will taken in the draft. Could he drop to the end of the first?
May 11, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
I wonder where Yurov will taken in the draft. Could he drop to the end of the first?

He could, I doubt it though, he's too talented to fall that far
Db1899 liked this.
May 12, 2022 at 8:38 a.m.

My guess is late teens or early 20s. At some point he’ll have been BPA for a few picks too long, and some team with an extra 1st and/or a history of bringing over Russians will take the risk. Columbus’s 2nd pick at 12 is the highest I see him going, although I reckon he could easily slip a little further, maybe Buffalo at 16 or a team like Washington. Him, Lambert, Savoie, and Miroshnichenko are probably the most interesting prospects in this draft. 3 of them are top 10 talents that are near locks to NOT go in the top 10, and Savoie is probably a top 3-5 talent that seems likely to slip due to his size.
A_Habs_fan, Db1899, Tintin and 2 others liked this.
May 12, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
do not Devil my ass

Didn't realize he's had two full-ish seasons in the Finnish 1st tier at 19 years old already.
While it's not like Devils are short on LHD, I'll be interested in seeing how he does in Utica next year.
May 12, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
Rutta 4ever
RIP Jack Hughes

Big Mistake! @CanadiensMTL https://t.co/IYuYDrPDCB

— Jack Hughes (@jackhughes4_) May 11, 2022

https://twitter.com/jackhughes4_/status/1524194435684257797
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 12, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I’ll be interested to see how far Gleb falls. He SHOULD be a 1st round pick but I can totally see him falling.
Db1899 liked this.
May 12, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
I’ll be interested to see how far Gleb falls. He SHOULD be a 1st round pick but I can totally see him falling.

I’d bet on Buffalo taking him with their 2nd round pick.
MatthewsFan liked this.
May 12, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Alfie11
My guess is late teens or early 20s. At some point he’ll have been BPA for a few picks too long, and some team with an extra 1st and/or a history of bringing over Russians will take the risk. Columbus’s 2nd pick at 12 is the highest I see him going, although I reckon he could easily slip a little further, maybe Buffalo at 16 or a team like Washington. Him, Lambert, Savoie, and Miroshnichenko are probably the most interesting prospects in this draft. 3 of them are top 10 talents that are near locks to NOT go in the top 10, and Savoie is probably a top 3-5 talent that seems likely to slip due to his size.

Dreaming Savoie somehow hits 11
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll