SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Would anyone else be interested in a common document that would have all the draft rankings that we like/have some value (even if it's a name most people hate like Craig Button)? I'm sure together, we could make a comprehensible list of all reputable sources, even if we disagree with them. There's probably at least 1 of us that has access to some rankings that have paywalls and that could accumulate to have a very expansive list of all opinions

I was working on that earlier this week. I listed all the top prospects, found close NHL comparables and I was on my way to rank them by making an average of all the rankings I value.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: TZ11
Seems like a good idea. A couple of my initial candidates for the document (aside from the mainstream ones like Button, McKenzie, etc.) would be: Smaht scouting, DobberProspects (not really unpopular), FCHockey

The ones I already use to factor in my average that I'd probably put in that would be FCH, Dobber, Draft Prospects Hockey, McKenzie, Button, McKeen ( Top 32, 33-100 behind paywall, don't have it ), EP ( Top 32, there may be more idk, possible paywall. Note: not the consolidated rankings, their own, technically the sheet would be "our" consolidated rankings ), Chris Peters, The 3 different THW's crew rankings, Recruit Scouting ( though not sure how much their's differs from Gavin Chiaisson's rankings who's the site's owner )
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
Ban Price trades
The ones I already use to factor in my average that I'd probably put in that would be FCH, Dobber, Draft Prospects Hockey, McKenzie, Button, McKeen ( Top 32, 33-100 behind paywall, don't have it ), EP ( Top 32, there may be more idk, possible paywall. Note: not the consolidated rankings, their own, technically the sheet would be "our" consolidated rankings ), Chris Peters, The 3 different THW's crew rankings, Recruit Scouting ( though not sure how much their's differs from Gavin Chiaisson's rankings who's the site's owner )

FCH is really good for introducing the "chaos" of a draft because their rankings tend to be rather out to lunch.

I have no problem contributing the rankings from the Athletic (Wheeler is usually spot-on, Pronman is no slouch) as part of any consolidated rankings and EPRinkside (albeit I don't take their rankings very seriously as they're worse than FCH).

I would like to propose that once we've consolidated the rankings and added our own personal feedback to it that it be listed as one of the mock draft rankings offered by CapFriendly. No idea how the CF rankings are generated and I think having a community-contributed resource would be worthwhile to have.
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan, TZ11 and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
Would anyone else be interested in a common document that would have all the draft rankings that we like/have some value (even if it's a name most people hate like Craig Button)? I'm sure together, we could make a comprehensible list of all reputable sources, even if we disagree with them. There's probably at least 1 of us that has access to some rankings that have paywalls and that could accumulate to have a very expansive list of all opinions

Now unlike our experiment with a CF prospect pyramid, the idea still works with limited exposure but it'd probably be better with many users bringing in different rankings than a select group of users so feel free to tag anyone who you think would be interested. We should also discuss the formatting of how it would look
TZ11 and yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 10:55 a.m.
Now unlike our experiment with a CF prospect pyramid, the idea still works with limited exposure but it'd probably be better with many users bringing in different rankings than a select group of users so feel free to tag anyone who you think would be interested. We should also discuss the formatting of how it would look

I'll tag @BruinsFan35 since he's basically the Draft guy on this site.
yikes, A_Habs_fan, BruinsFan35 and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
FCH is really good for introducing the "chaos" of a draft because their rankings tend to be rather out to lunch.

I have no problem contributing the rankings from the Athletic (Wheeler is usually spot-on, Pronman is no slouch) as part of any consolidated rankings and EPRinkside (albeit I don't take their rankings very seriously as they're worse than FCH).

I would like to propose that once we've consolidated the rankings and added our own personal feedback to it that it be listed as one of the mock draft rankings offered by CapFriendly. No idea how the CF rankings are generated and I think having a community-contributed resource would be worthwhile to have.

Big fan of all of this. I also sub to the athletic now, so I can help with that. I do think Wheeler/Pronman are usually pretty good. Pronman can sometimes have some very weird takes though (some I agree with, like Gaucher being top 15, some I don't, like Ostlund not being a 1st round pick).

Button's takes have no value. All that adding his list would do is make the rankings worse.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Big fan of all of this. I also sub to the athletic now, so I can help with that. I do think Wheeler/Pronman are usually pretty good. Pronman can sometimes have some very weird takes though (some I agree with, like Gaucher being top 15, some I don't, like Ostlund not being a 1st round pick).

Button's takes have no value. All that adding his list would do is make the rankings worse.

Button's take do have some value though, even if I disagree with almost everything he says, he's still a scouting expert and TSN's director of scouting, like with CF, everyone's opinions have some value, even if we disagree with it
yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-prospect-amirov-brain-tumor-diagnosis-want-stay-positive/

Hope for a speedy recovery man that sucks

Kid couldnt catch a break this year
EsoYeezus69 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: TZ11
I'll tag BruinsFan35 since he's basically the Draft guy on this site.

Thanks. I finished an update on the draft guide today. Gonna make a 2 round mock draft tomorrow.

In terms of a prospect to bring up here, let me put you guys onto one of my favorite players in this class to watch for fun: Ilya Kvochko. I rank him at 91 atm, and I don’t care what any of the organizations (FCH, Elite Prospects, etc. ) rank them at, because no one really knows outside of the NHL scouts. Kvochko is 5-9, 159 pounds, but plays bigger. He’s a hard working winger with a good 200-foot style of play. Solid skater with good hockey sense and the ability to make some tough plays with the puck. Hard to take the puck away from him and he’s a solid playmaker, although it’s not where his value lies. His true value lies in the defensive zone, as his positioning is normally sound and has an active stick while still being disciplined. Overall, plays a mature game. His downside is his size, which gets him thrown around in the corners and on board plays. His shot is accurate but weaker than average. A bulk up could make him even more explosive and could remedy the shot power issue. Anything lower than a third round selection for him would be a steal, and I’d consider him as high as the late second. I project him as a future LW 3 in the NHL, although he has experience, and has seen some success, at center.
A_Habs_fan, TZ11, MatthewsFan and 3 others liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Quoting: BruinsFan35
Thanks. I finished an update on the draft guide today. Gonna make a 2 round mock draft tomorrow.

In terms of a prospect to bring up here, let me put you guys onto one of my favorite players in this class to watch for fun: Ilya Kvochko. I rank him at 91 atm, and I don’t care what any of the organizations (FCH, Elite Prospects, etc. ) rank them at, because no one really knows outside of the NHL scouts. Kvochko is 5-9, 159 pounds, but plays bigger. He’s a hard working winger with a good 200-foot style of play. Solid skater with good hockey sense and the ability to make some tough plays with the puck. Hard to take the puck away from him and he’s a solid playmaker, although it’s not where his value lies. His true value lies in the defensive zone, as his positioning is normally sound and has an active stick while still being disciplined. Overall, plays a mature game. His downside is his size, which gets him thrown around in the corners and on board plays. His shot is accurate but weaker than average. A bulk up could make him even more explosive and could remedy the shot power issue. Anything lower than a third round selection for him would be a steal, and I’d consider him as high as the late second. I project him as a future LW 3 in the NHL, although he has experience, and has seen some success, at center.

I have no idea how you find the time to scout that many players in that amount of time, last time you made rankings, I was working on mine and I still am! ( though I'm much closer to my goal of scouting everyone on my board with an average under 100 )
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I would add in Dmitri Buchelnikov (MHL) for me. He could be a nice late round find like Dmitri Rashevsky was for WPG.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I would add in Dmitri Buchelnikov (MHL) for me. He could be a nice late round find like Dmitri Rashevsky was for WPG.

I like buchelnikov as well. Can’t remember where I have him ranked off the top of my head but he’s in there.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I like buchelnikov as well. Can’t remember where I have him ranked off the top of my head but he’s in there.

I just posted a 5 round draft, like to hear your takes
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
I have no idea how you find the time to scout that many players in that amount of time, last time you made rankings, I was working on mine and I still am! ( though I'm much closer to my goal of scouting everyone on my board with an average under 100 )

I both work and take classes from home. So I do a days amount of work and school in the normal amount of time I would normally be spending just in school if I was there in-person. The rest of the time pretty much goes to working out or watching hockey.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

San Jose getting Lambert (10 in your ranks) or Juraj Slafkovsky is my dream currently for the draft.

Also Nelson will be a great second round pick for almost any team - I think he’s worth the selection in terms of becoming a player with upside.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.

Making a 5 round mock is tough because predicting how all 32 teams will prioritize players for that long is impossible. In terms of first round, I think that Ohgren and Trikozov are high but definitely could go first round. Guys like Geekie, Howard, and McGroarty prob a little low. As a prospect, I hate Maveric Lamoureux. I feel that he doesn’t provide much actual skill and is just big. And don’t get me wrong, size is important in prospects imo, especially in defenseman. It’s easier to adjust them to the NHL when their big enough to take NHL hits. I just don’t see enough upside to warrant a top round selection. As for the rest of the draft, there will always be a goalie in the second round. Leinonen is probably the guy, maybe Ivanov as well. There’s a good amount of guys there, especially at the end of your draft, that I don’t have completed (or even started in the case of Vadim Fattakhov) profiles, so I’ve got some work to do. But overall, looks good! And you have the Bruins drafting fairly well, so respect
MatthewsFan and yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Making a 5 round mock is tough because predicting how all 32 teams will prioritize players for that long is impossible. In terms of first round, I think that Ohgren and Trikozov are high but definitely could go first round. Guys like Geekie, Howard, and McGroarty prob a little low. As a prospect, I hate Maveric Lamoureux. I feel that he doesn’t provide much actual skill and is just big. And don’t get me wrong, size is important in prospects imo, especially in defenseman. It’s easier to adjust them to the NHL when their big enough to take NHL hits. I just don’t see enough upside to warrant a top round selection. As for the rest of the draft, there will always be a goalie in the second round. Leinonen is probably the guy, maybe Ivanov as well. There’s a good amount of guys there, especially at the end of your draft, that I don’t have completed (or even started in the case of Vadim Fattakhov) profiles, so I’ve got some work to do. But overall, looks good! And you have the Bruins drafting fairly well, so respect

I hear you with Maveric Lamoureux. There is always that on guy who sneaks into the 1st round and we are like, who? IMO Maveric will be that guy this year. Overall very raw skillset but exciting two way potential. For me, he is the type of guy GM takes swings on.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:41 p.m.
I hear you with Maveric Lamoureux. There is always that on guy who sneaks into the 1st round and we are like, who? IMO Maveric will be that guy this year. Overall very raw skillset but exciting two way potential. For me, he is the type of guy GM takes swings on.

Tucker Robertson. Better than Yegor Chinakhov, who was a first round pick from Columbus as a DY+1. 2nd best player in the draft if taken last year. He'd be the current 3C for the Kraken if the OHL played last year, mark my words. He will be drafted in the second round most likely, and will immediately get his ELC and will push to be on the NHL roster a la J.J. Moser for the Coyotes.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Tucker Robertson. Better than Yegor Chinakhov, who was a first round pick from Columbus as a DY+1. 2nd best player in the draft if taken last year. He'd be the current 3C for the Kraken if the OHL played last year, mark my words. He will be drafted in the second round most likely, and will immediately get his ELC and will push to be on the NHL roster a la J.J. Moser for the Coyotes.

Ya, a little surprising no one took a flyer on him last year with a late round pick even with the OHL not playing. I'm sure plenty of GM's are wishing they did. I've seen him listed as late as 109, high of 22 in the rankings.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Ya, a little surprising no one took a flyer on him last year with a late round pick even with the OHL not playing. I'm sure plenty of GM's are wishing they did. I've seen him listed as late as 109, high of 22 in the rankings.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.

If taken anywhere after 40 at the LATEST, he's my steal of the draft. Bonafide stud
Feb. 23, 2022 at 5:46 p.m.

I put my takes in the comments of the mock draft, my own updated "everyone I've done so far list" should come out soon
Feb. 23, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
The best player in hockey is clear, so I ask:
Who is the next Andrei Andreyevich Vasilevskiy?
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
Quoting: McGruff
The best player in hockey is clear, so I ask:
Who is the next Andrei Andreyevich Vasilevskiy?

Next great goalie, hmm, I’d go with Wallstedt
McGruff liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
WentWughes
It's hard to judge because every player is playing their best hockey of the year, but Dauphin should stay on Montreal for the rest of the year and beyond.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll