SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

Feb. 27, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

🙏🤞fingers crossed for Voit. These are the hits you want out of the game, that was soooo late

God ****ing dammit really

First Ovechkinov may not be able to come to play with the Marlies with the recent ban now this, whats next...
MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.

Imo, with Ukraine, it's a double-edged sword, some may come over as soon as they can while others simply don't come over, it'll be interesting to see which prospects fall into what category
BuFfaLOFaN, TZ11, Saskleaf and 3 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Imo, with Ukraine, it's a double-edged sword, some may come over as soon as they can while others simply don't come over, it'll be interesting to see which prospects fall into what category

Might not be allowed. Michkov going 2/3 seems inevitable now.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
im wondering when the nhl/nba etc step up and ban russian athletes from their sports. yes its not their individual problems they arent the issue. but its a solidarity thing.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:03 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: hanson493
im wondering when the nhl/nba etc step up and ban russian athletes from their sports. yes its not their individual problems they arent the issue. but its a solidarity thing.

They won’t.

And they shouldn’t. Average Russian citizens have nothing to do with what’s going on.
BuFfaLOFaN, yikes, A_Habs_fan and 4 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:04 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
They won’t.

And they shouldn’t. Average Russian citizens have nothing to do with what’s going on.

deglorifies anything to do with russia.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
Go leafs go
deglorifies anything to do with russia.

@A_Habs_fan explained it well, they aren’t representing Russia as nhl players, they are representing their nhl team. Banning them is going a step too far.
A_Habs_fan, Devil, TZ11 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
A_Habs_fan explained it well, they aren’t representing Russia as nhl players, they are representing their nhl team. Banning them is going a step too far.

idk they arent but they are at the same time. we def hear some of the nationality talk from halak to greiss to crosby to draisaitl. Countries are still represented, maybe not actively advertised but if someone like ovechkin comes here hes representing russia first.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
Go leafs go
idk they arent but they are at the same time. we def hear some of the nationality talk from halak to greiss to crosby to draisaitl. Countries are still represented, maybe not actively advertised but if someone like ovechkin comes here hes representing russia first.

Maybe a bit but it would have massive repercussions on the sport. It’s simply not realistic or a good idea.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.

I get the stance completely - but it’s hard to justify punishing all Russian players as some of them have USA citizenship or live in NA.

And for others like Ovi (family is in Russia) it’s hard to force players to lose their contracts or have a justification for suspending them.

The NHLPA wouldn’t allow it and it could cause huge problems within the CBA. It’s too slippery of a slop for a league already financially hit hard by COVID to risk ruining the relationships between the league and the NHLPA/ players. It would cause long term harm that just isn’t worth it from a business stand point - and that’s what sports is at the end of the day.
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf, capsfan2121 and 5 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:20 p.m.

That won't and shouldn't happen, then you're persecuting people for them simply being from a country and not punishing the country itself, whether it's by sanctions, removing them from international events, etc
Saskleaf, capsfan2121, SevenLeg and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:25 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Does anyone know this years draft well
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Does anyone know this years draft well

There's a decent amount of us who scout this draft, whether it's me, BruinFan35, TZ11, MatthewsFan, etc
capsfan2121, TZ11 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
There's a decent amount of us who scout this draft, whether it's me, BruinFan35, TZ11, MatthewsFan, etc

I need to learn the draft for an assignment I’m on. What are good resources and what’s your insight

Also Ivan miro really fell on elite prospect.com
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
I need to learn the draft for an assignment I’m on. What are good resources and what’s your insight

Dobber is super useful for free scouting reports. Not sure what’s behind elite prospects’s paywall but if you buy that I’m sure it’s a lot of good stuff. Corey Pronman and Scott Wheeler have a lot of good articles and fairly good draft boards and analysis for the Athletic (also behind a paywall). Bobby Margarita and Sam Cosentino have decent lists for the first round, usually with a blurb about the player. The hockey writers slowly works up to speed and by draft time they typically have free profiles on hundreds of prospects.

As for Miro, I’ve felt for a long time he’s been overrated. He does have a lot of potential, but I feel like his flaws are more concerning than other raw prospects with huge upside, like Slafkovsky, who has always been one of my personal favourites. With the changing climate in Russia, as well as potential issues with things like his compete level (although to be fair, there is conflicting reports on this, so it might not be an actual issue) and consistency, I wouldn’t be surprised if he slipped to the teens, when I last did a ranking a couple months ago I think I had him somewhere around 12-14, I could see him even slipping a little further with how good guys like Lekkerimaki have been.
capsfan2121, yikes, TZ11 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

My favourite go to is DobberProspects (example: Google search “__prospect name__ Dobber prospects”, like Lapierre Dobber (your caps prospect) or Shane Wright Dobber prospects (upcoming draft).).

They’re just my favourite go too and provide a lot of info for a good portion of the entire leagues prospects and upcoming drafts.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.

Feel honored seeing my name next to @BruinsFan35.
capsfan2121, yikes, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Alfie11
Dobber is super useful for free scouting reports. Not sure what’s behind elite prospects’s paywall but if you buy that I’m sure it’s a lot of good stuff. Corey Pronman and Scott Wheeler have a lot of good articles and fairly good draft boards and analysis for the Athletic (also behind a paywall). Bobby Margarita and Sam Cosentino have decent lists for the first round, usually with a blurb about the player. The hockey writers slowly works up to speed and by draft time they typically have free profiles on hundreds of prospects.

As for Miro, I’ve felt for a long time he’s been overrated. He does have a lot of potential, but I feel like his flaws are more concerning than other raw prospects with huge upside, like Slafkovsky, who has always been one of my personal favourites. With the changing climate in Russia, as well as potential issues with things like his compete level (although to be fair, there is conflicting reports on this, so it might not be an actual issue) and consistency, I wouldn’t be surprised if he slipped to the teens, when I last did a ranking a couple months ago I think I had him somewhere around 12-14, I could see him even slipping a little further with how good guys like Lekkerimaki have been.

Thank you. As for Ivan they had him at 30
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
2022 Mike Richter Award Semifinalists

Gavin Abric, Army West Point (undrafted)
Drew Commesso, Boston University (CHI)
Jakub Dobeš, Ohio State (MTL)
Ryan Fanti, Minnesota Duluth (undrafted)
Devon Levi, Northeastern (BUF)
Dryden McKay, Minnesota State (undrafted)
Yaniv Perets, Quinnipiac (undrafted)
Blake Pietila, Michigan Tech (undrafted)
Erik Portillo, Michigan (BUF)
Owen Savory, UMass Lowell (undrafted)
Jaxson Stauber, Providence (undrafted)
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 5:57 p.m.

Good free resources that have a lot of info are FC Hockey (most of their scouting reports are behind a paywall but they put out many articles on the site with good info), Dobber, Draft Prospects hockey, The Hockey writers ( once they start their prospect profiles ) are all good sources
capsfan2121, MatthewsFan and TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 6:03 p.m.

The already mentioned ones are all really good. For really, really in-depth reports go to Smaht scouting (free).
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I’m going to make a top ten and see what you guys think
Feb. 28, 2022 at 6:07 p.m.
Good free resources that have a lot of info are FC Hockey (most of their scouting reports are behind a paywall but they put out many articles on the site with good info), Dobber, Draft Prospects hockey, The Hockey writers ( once they start their prospect profiles ) are all good sources

I like Draft Prospects hockey, but I strongly disagree with their January ranking (I feel like you do too) in regards to Miroshnichenko at 4.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: TZ11
I like Draft Prospects hockey, but I strongly disagree with their January ranking (I feel like you do too) in regards to Miroshnichenko at 4.

No site's perfect, there's always going to be some rankings you disagree with, in the end, they're all opinions and like for CF, all opinions have some value
capsfan2121 and TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 28, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
No site's perfect, there's always going to be some rankings you disagree with, in the end, they're all opinions and like for CF, all opinions have some value

Except for Craig Button’s
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll