SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

Feb. 19, 2022 at 11:25 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
Could they do that and then send him back to Michigan next year (assuming he's not ready)?

no, they’d have to sign him to his ELC, which makes him ineligible to play NCAA hockey (he’d go to the AHL if he’s not ready)
Feb. 19, 2022 at 11:40 p.m.
Could they do that and then send him back to Michigan next year (assuming he's not ready)?

Good question, I’m not sure. Can’t he play in the AHL if he doesn’t make the devils out of camp?
Feb. 20, 2022 at 12:11 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Alfie11
no, they’d have to sign him to his ELC, which makes him ineligible to play NCAA hockey (he’d go to the AHL if he’s not ready)

Quoting: Db1899
Good question, I’m not sure. Can’t he play in the AHL if he doesn’t make the devils out of camp?

If that's the case I think he should stay in Michigan and dominate.
He would get top line minutes on a good Michigan team which would help his development more in my opinion
Feb. 20, 2022 at 1:26 a.m.
Clearly I’m wrong about Slafkovsky… the results speak for themselves but I just don’t see it from solely the eye test
Feb. 20, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Ummmmm what??? That was awesome 👏
Db1899, EsoYeezus69 and Remus liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
Ban Price trades

Because Luke never played in the CHL he'd be automatically eligible for AHL games should the Devils sign him in the near future. I'd be curious what another year in the NCAA does for his game as a whole assuming that most of Michigan's firepower is going to be AHL or NHL-bound next fall.

Kind of a win-win: you either give him the premier minutes as THE guy in the NCAA or you continue to grow him step-by-step with bottom to mid-pair minutes in the AHL.
SevenLeg, BuFfaLOFaN, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Clearly I’m wrong about Slafkovsky… the results speak for themselves but I just don’t see it from solely the eye test

Sounds an awful lot like Pastrnak during 2014. If memory serves he went into that draft expected to go in the mid-first but slid a bit because he didn't look all that explosive or complete.

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in hockey and it's also the most important. I don't know how Slafkovsky doesn't go in the top-10 this year and I think there's a case to see his name in the top-5.
SevenLeg, EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Sounds an awful lot like Pastrnak during 2014. If memory serves he went into that draft expected to go in the mid-first but slid a bit because he didn't look all that explosive or complete.

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in hockey and it's also the most important. I don't know how Slafkovsky doesn't go in the top-10 this year and I think there's a case to see his name in the top-5.

Would be a great pick for the Sabres, if a Dman isn't available.
BeterChiarelli and yikes liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Would be a great pick for the Sabres, if a Dman isn't available.

Just ran a tankathon sim just to see how that would look:

1. Philadelphia Flyers - (C) Shane Wright
2. Houston Coyotes - (LW) Matt Savoie
3. Montreal Canadiens - (RD) Simon Nemec
4. Seattle Kraken - (C) Logan Cooley
5. New Jersey Devils - (LW) Joakim Kemell
6. Buffalo Sabres - (LW) Juraj Slafkovsky
7. Ottawa Senators - (C) Conor Geekie
8. Columbus Blue Jackets (via CHI) - (C) Brad Lambert
9. New York Islanders - (LW) Danila Yurov
10. Detroit Red Wings - (RD) David Jiricek

It's feasible but I feel like there won't be a consensus going into this draft. I'm personally not thrilled with the first round talent of this draft.
EsoYeezus69, aadoyle, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 12:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 20, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.

It's feasible but I feel like there won't be a consensus going into this draft. I'm personally not thrilled with the first round talent of this draft.

Seems reasonable.

Just imagining Phily getting Wright then still hitting and missing the playoffs lul
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Does anyone have a playing-style comparison for Rutger McGroarty? Am I mistaken if I say Sam Bennett?
Feb. 20, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

San Jose please land in the top 10 for this kid - everyday I’m slowly losing grips on any desire to see the Sharks improve down this stretch. Hertl I’m in different on trading or keeping - just a good deal (6 years) or a good trade either I’m happy with.

But we should consider fleecing someone for Barabanov he’s looking insanely good as a 2nd line option for any team - solid middle 6.

Sell sell sell - we could be so good with the amount of young talent we have.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Because Luke never played in the CHL he'd be automatically eligible for AHL games should the Devils sign him in the near future. I'd be curious what another year in the NCAA does for his game as a whole assuming that most of Michigan's firepower is going to be AHL or NHL-bound next fall.

Kind of a win-win: you either give him the premier minutes as THE guy in the NCAA or you continue to grow him step-by-step with bottom to mid-pair minutes in the AHL.

I think I rather him in the NCAA but it’s a good win win either way
Feb. 20, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I think I rather him in the NCAA but it’s a good win win either way

And maybe he jumps into the lineup after the 22-23 season once Graves contract expires
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
San Jose please land in the top 10 for this kid - everyday I’m slowly losing grips on any desire to see the Sharks improve down this stretch. Hertl I’m in different on trading or keeping - just a good deal (6 years) or a good trade either I’m happy with.

But we should consider fleecing someone for Barabanov he’s looking insanely good as a 2nd line option for any team - solid middle 6.

I feel like the Sharks will pick Lekkerimäki if they're outside the Top 10 and he's available. I think that could work out great.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
Edited Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Does anyone have a playing-style comparison for Rutger McGroarty? Am I mistaken if I say Sam Bennett?

I came up with Jamie Benn as a stylistic comparison. (Not today's Jamie Benn, but the Jamie Benn of a few years ago.)
SevenLeg liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.

I think this makes sense, I just don't see the sabres passing Jiricek at 6 unless he went already before our pick. For Scoring wingers we have, Quinn, Rosen, Thompson/Krebs, Skinner, Tuch, Peterka, Pultapov and Kisakov as top 6 potential dudes if all goes well. Right now Fitzgerald and Jokiharju are the only RD options.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: yikes

Makes sense to sell, I don't see how in the next 3 years the Sharks could grow and become a better team than the Knight, Flames, Colorado, Kings or the Wild without selling and getting assets the next 2 years.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:03 p.m.

Why so low on this 1st round? There might not be that one superstar but I see a lot of guys with Top 6 potential. Could turn out to be an above average 1st round.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Don’t do player comparisons but anyone who shows flashes of high-end skill but has consistency issues and can look invisible at times work
SevenLeg liked this.
Feb. 21, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
664782.jpg Hendrix lappy is on a hot streak right. Looking really really good.
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.
cautious optimism
666g6s.jpg

Can you tell I really like this kid
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, SevenLeg and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: Bobcat205
666g6s.jpg

Can you tell I really like this kid

You'd probably have to be a lot worse or win the lottery to get him but yeah, everybody should want him on their team. He's so good.
Bobcat205 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:40 a.m.
Would anyone else be interested in a common document that would have all the draft rankings that we like/have some value (even if it's a name most people hate like Craig Button)? I'm sure together, we could make a comprehensible list of all reputable sources, even if we disagree with them. There's probably at least 1 of us that has access to some rankings that have paywalls and that could accumulate to have a very expansive list of all opinions
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Would anyone else be interested in a common document that would have all the draft rankings that we like/have some value (even if it's a name most people hate like Craig Button)? I'm sure together, we could make a comprehensible list of all reputable sources, even if we disagree with them. There's probably at least 1 of us that has access to some rankings that have paywalls and that could accumulate to have a very expansive list of all opinions

Seems like a good idea. A couple of my initial candidates for the document (aside from the mainstream ones like Button, McKenzie, etc.) would be: Smaht scouting, DobberProspects (not really unpopular), FCHockey

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll