SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Edmonton Oilers

I got my wish welcome aboard woody

Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Nothing against Tippett he’s been the best coach in Edmonton for as long as I can remember but it’s time for a change and woodcroft is exactly who this team needs. Very excited to see this play out.
oilersguy liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Lenny7
That should fix the lack of secondary scoring, pourous defence and questionable goaltending!

Man, Ken Holland really set you guys up for failure. The team *should* be better, but the issues this year are the same as they've been...I'd be pretty frustrated if I were an Oilers fan.

That being said, it's pretty clear that Tippett had lost the room, so change isn't a bad thing.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:27 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
That should fix the lack of secondary scoring, pourous defence and questionable goaltending!

Man, Ken Holland really set you guys up for failure. The team *should* be better, but the issues this year are the same as they've been...I'd be pretty frustrated if I were an Oilers fan.

That being said, it's pretty clear that Tippett had lost the room, so change isn't a bad thing.

I don’t think Holland has done anything wrong can look at not addressing goaltending last offseason but at the same time look at the season mike smith just finished posting. He did do a lot of good such as Hyman getting nuge signed long term for less than he was making. Nurse locked up long term granted think he rushed that signing and coulda gotten a better number on that contract if waited but it’s done. Most of the moves he’s made that haven’t worked are short term cheaper deals for depth. I think it’s a far better roster than we have been seeing pretty much all year. Nice part about woody leading the charge now is he knows the youth better than anyone and has gotten a lot of out them which Tippett for the most part wouldn’t trust leaning on.
Lenny7 and Cbzblaze liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
Unfortunately for you (Edmonton) you had with Smith what TB had with Dwayne Rollison in 10/11 when Smith was TB's backup and had a really good season get another contract then just not be able to carry the load next year.
oilersguy liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
Unfortunately for you (Edmonton) you had with Smith what TB had with Dwayne Rollison in 10/11 when Smith was TB's backup and had a really good season get another contract then just not be able to carry the load next year.

Wouldn’t rule out smith finds his groove again and puts up a solid month or two but it’s not all bad woodcroft is more likely to start leaning more on skinner which so far I’d consider to be the best option. He’s been the best goalie in the ahl under woodcroft.
oilersguy and Cbzblaze liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.
Edited Feb. 10, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
Wouldn’t rule out smith finds his groove again and puts up a solid month or two but it’s not all bad woodcroft is more likely to start leaning more on skinner which so far I’d consider to be the best option. He’s been the best goalie in the ahl under woodcroft.

Problem is father time is undefeated. Rollison just didn't have it anymore and smiths that same 40+
oilersguy liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
LETS GO OILERS
I am honestly really excited the Oilers made this change. I think it might have took a little too long to do tho.
oilersguy liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 4:24 p.m.
Quoting: oilersdude
I am honestly really excited the Oilers made this change. I think it might have took a little too long to do tho.

I agree but at the same time I don’t blame Holland for waiting and giving Tippett every opportunity he could because he really is a fantastic smart quality coach that did do a lot of positives and shouldn’t be seen as a failure. The way today went down promoting woodcroft is truly the only way I would have let Tippett go. Very excited to see what sort of changes take place more so betting this leads to youth being used a bit more which I do think can correct some of the problems. At least give us a truer evaluation where the team is at before deadline which was scaring me personally thought with the direction was going was going to see a really bad mistake made.
oilersguy liked this.
Feb. 10, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
Problem is father time is undefeated. Rollison just didn't have it anymore and smiths that same 40+

Very true it’s tough to say for certain maybe his injuries were a fluke and he does bounce back maybe he doesn’t. Maybe now that there’s a coach in place that I suspect won’t prioritize him as much will lead to him considering retirement in the offseason.
Boltsbeathabs liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll