Forums/Armchair-GM

could be a cool move

Created by: Rangers13232
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2022
Published: Feb. 14, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
idrk values for these teams but i do know that min could use some more pieces and the isles would like to get younger. so lmk values
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,016,921$0$682,500$4,483,079
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Islanders
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 8
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$825,833$825,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
Not a fit, IMO. Nelson at $6M just doesn’t have a spot on the Wild with our buyouts. We’d rather move Fiala for futures if he gets traded.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
As a base for a trade, it could be a somewhat cool idea. I don't have enough knowledge on Nelson to know what needs to be added from the Isles / if it is even realistic, though.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
Rangers
Quoting: drmantalban
Not a fit, IMO. Nelson at $6M just doesn’t have a spot on the Wild with our buyouts. We’d rather move Fiala for futures if he gets traded.

that's fair. those parise/surer buyouts were atrocious for ur cap situation
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Rangers
Quoting: EccE
As a base for a trade, it could be a somewhat cool idea. I don't have enough knowledge on Nelson to know what needs to be added from the Isles / if it is even realistic, though.

def not realistic lol. i think he'd def waive for minnesota (he's from there) and he's amazing in the playoffs. has a great shot and is capable of 30-40 goals (stats don't show bc isles offensive systems suck so bad)
Yeah.....

That's a no.

Fiala's not moving in season.
Quoting: EccE

Nelson's impact this season is that of an average 1C. Isles would probably have to add a pick but that's about it.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: Rangers13232
that's fair. those parise/surer buyouts were atrocious for ur cap situation

Yeah gonna be a tight few years. In another world where those weren’t quite as hefty, Nelson could be someone of interest. I like his game a lot, but the math just doesn’t work.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
we miss leo k
there's definitely a start of something here, if Minnesota doesn't think they're going to be able to give Fiala what he wants I see this as a trade that makes sense from both sides. Islanders need scoring on the wings so Fiala would fit that mold, while center is one place the Islanders have some depth to work with. the buyout dead cap stuff makes it hard to add more pieces in - Minnesota doesn't have any really egregious contracts on their books that would be movable - maaaaybe Dumba's $6M gets moved to free up some room for 2022-23? Maybe work out a deal that's Fiala/Dumba for Nelson/Mayfield++? That would see around $12M next year moving out (assuming Fiala signs around $6M AAV) with about $7.5 coming in, giving the Wild a little more flexibility. Dumba->Mayfield is a definite step down but I'd argue that Mayfield with his $1.45M hit is better than anything the Wild would get to replace him with for that price in UFA.

Again, it would probably take too many moving parts to make it work but it's an interesting idea to toy with.
Rangers13232 and MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Rangers
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
there's definitely a start of something here, if Minnesota doesn't think they're going to be able to give Fiala what he wants I see this as a trade that makes sense from both sides. Islanders need scoring on the wings so Fiala would fit that mold, while center is one place the Islanders have some depth to work with. the buyout dead cap stuff makes it hard to add more pieces in - Minnesota doesn't have any really egregious contracts on their books that would be movable - maaaaybe Dumba's $6M gets moved to free up some room for 2022-23? Maybe work out a deal that's Fiala/Dumba for Nelson/Mayfield++? That would see around $12M next year moving out (assuming Fiala signs around $6M AAV) with about $7.5 coming in, giving the Wild a little more flexibility. Dumba->Mayfield is a definite step down but I'd argue that Mayfield with his $1.45M hit is better than anything the Wild would get to replace him with for that price in UFA.

Again, it would probably take too many moving parts to make it work but it's an interesting idea to toy with.

rlly like that analysis. i happen to love mayfield so id jump all over that if i was minnesota. he was awesome in the playoffs for them last year. dumba is def better but it's an economical move and not a downgrade that'll cost u games or playoff series.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
Rangers
Quoting: RazWild
Yeah.....

That's a no.

Fiala's not moving in season.

probably true considering he's an rfa at the end of the year. but i'll bet the house he's wearing a new jersey next year. a trade like this is more reasonable for the off-season tho.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
def not realistic lol. i think he'd def waive for minnesota (he's from there) and he's amazing in the playoffs. has a great shot and is capable of 30-40 goals (stats don't show bc isles offensive systems suck so bad)

Yeah, I was thinking that it wasn't that realistic...
Feb. 14, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Banned
rlly like that analysis. i happen to love mayfield so id jump all over that if i was minnesota. he was awesome in the playoffs for them last year. dumba is def better but it's an economical move and not a downgrade that'll cost u games or playoff series.

Minnesota isn't moving either of dumba or fiala during the season! Our gm isn't ruining team chemistry or making it worse
Feb. 14, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
Not a cool move for Minnesota unless the Isles add significantly. Especially if it's an in season move
Rangers13232 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 6:28 p.m.
Rangers
Quoting: C21
Not a cool move for Minnesota unless the Isles add significantly. Especially if it's an in season move

as an isles fan mentioned above would u do fiala+dumba for nelson+mayfield++ this off-season to help the cap situation in minny
Feb. 14, 2022 at 7:05 p.m.
as an isles fan mentioned above would u do fiala+dumba for nelson+mayfield++ this off-season to help the cap situation in minny

honestly? Absolutely not. I don't think there's a single piece that the Isles would be willing to part with that I, personally, would be interested in enough to do that.

I think the added cap and age isn't worth it. Mayfield is a significant downgrade, and his contract expires next year as well.

And call me biased but I also think Fiala is the better player than Nelson with significantly more value. The team saves about 6M for a next year with that deal imo but that means you'll be able just add another peice to get the team back to a similar talent level as before

I could maybe get behind Mayfield++ for Dumba (Addison would have to be ready to take Dumba's spot) but I don't really have any interest in Nelson, regardless of whether it's Fiala going the other way or not. He's in his 30's and I think the need for a center will already be fixed next year with Rossi coming in.
Rangers13232 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
Rangers
honestly? Absolutely not. I don't think there's a single piece that the Isles would be willing to part with that I, personally, would be interested in enough to do that.

I think the added cap and age isn't worth it. Mayfield is a significant downgrade, and his contract expires next year as well.

And call me biased but I also think Fiala is the better player than Nelson with significantly more value. The team saves about 6M for a next year with that deal imo but that means you'll be able just add another peice to get the team back to a similar talent level as before

I could maybe get behind Mayfield++ for Dumba (Addison would have to be ready to take Dumba's spot) but I don't really have any interest in Nelson, regardless of whether it's Fiala going the other way or not. He's in his 30's and I think the need for a center will already be fixed next year with Rossi coming in.

i def see where ur coming from. i don't think mayfield is much of a downgrade. i rlly like mayfield (i'm a rangers fan too so there's def no bias in that) and he was tremendous in the playoffs last year. ug aren't rlly in a win now situation even tho u could make some noise in the playoffs so def good to let rossi grow into the 1/2c spot. however that's projection and who knows how quickly he develops (i give it a 99% chance he gets there eventually tho). fiala most definitely won't be on the team next year so moving him for a 2c now under contract i think would benefit ug. guerin rlly did a number on ur cap w those buyouts tho.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 7:55 p.m.
i def see where ur coming from. i don't think mayfield is much of a downgrade. i rlly like mayfield (i'm a rangers fan too so there's def no bias in that) and he was tremendous in the playoffs last year. ug aren't rlly in a win now situation even tho u could make some noise in the playoffs so def good to let rossi grow into the 1/2c spot. however that's projection and who knows how quickly he develops (i give it a 99% chance he gets there eventually tho). fiala most definitely won't be on the team next year so moving him for a 2c now under contract i think would benefit ug. guerin rlly did a number on ur cap w those buyouts tho.

EDIT: Sorry for the essays today

Maybe I have yet to be enlightened but I'm not as impressed with Mayfield as what seems like many others. I think he's a very solid bottom pairing/low end 4th Dman type.

I also think writing Fiala off as a member of the team next year is jumping to conclusions. He's a great player, his production with actual competent offensive help proves that.

I still firmly believe that Greenway should be the odd man out, even with his excellent play compared to the start of the season. It won't happen but that was my hope and still is. So that leaves Fiala and Dumba as the obvious options; however, I think there is a world where they are able to fit everyone we're talking about, at least for next season.

Also, I don't think trading Fiala for a 6M caphit as you have here makes much sense, especially with Rossi almost guaranteed that missing 2C spot. Fiala probably doesn't more than a million more there. If he does truly desire that payday and won't bridge and/or sign for 7M or under, I agree that he should/will be gone.

Guerin saved cap with the buyouts. And with how upset Parise and Suter were, I think it would've been a legit possibility that they retired early and screwed the Wild with cap recapture. So saving the assets it would've taken to get rid of them and cap space (minimal as it will be the next couple years) was 100% worth it. He also opened up roster spots to improve the team by buying them out. It was the least bad move, every other option was either too risky or complacent imo. Because you're either crossing your fingers that they don't retire or are stuck with their mediocrity.
MNBassman liked this.
Feb. 14, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
Rangers
EDIT: Sorry for the essays today

Maybe I have yet to be enlightened but I'm not as impressed with Mayfield as what seems like many others. I think he's a very solid bottom pairing/low end 4th Dman type.

I also think writing Fiala off as a member of the team next year is jumping to conclusions. He's a great player, his production with actual competent offensive help proves that.

I still firmly believe that Greenway should be the odd man out, even with his excellent play compared to the start of the season. It won't happen but that was my hope and still is. So that leaves Fiala and Dumba as the obvious options; however, I think there is a world where they are able to fit everyone we're talking about, at least for next season.

Also, I don't think trading Fiala for a 6M caphit as you have here makes much sense, especially with Rossi almost guaranteed that missing 2C spot. Fiala probably doesn't more than a million more there. If he does truly desire that payday and won't bridge and/or sign for 7M or under, I agree that he should/will be gone.

Guerin saved cap with the buyouts. And with how upset Parise and Suter were, I think it would've been a legit possibility that they retired early and screwed the Wild with cap recapture. So saving the assets it would've taken to get rid of them and cap space (minimal as it will be the next couple years) was 100% worth it. He also opened up roster spots to improve the team by buying them out. It was the least bad move, every other option was either too risky or complacent imo. Because you're either crossing your fingers that they don't retire or are stuck with their mediocrity.

greenway just got an extension so he's going to stay but i agree he should've been the odd man out. from what i've seen he's not anything special and fiala is light years better. i didn't like that extension. i rlly don't see anyway in which fiala stays already making 5.1 this year and he's due for a 6.5-7 upgrade in that contract.

nelson is at 6 which will be cheaper than fiala it's more of a replacement than a cap save. the save here would be dumba for mayfield++. minnesota won't need much breathing room in the cap w no extensions in the top 6 due for 2 years (boldy who they can bridge). nelson will easily pot 30+ goals on minnesota. so ur getting rlly rlly good value on that 6M too.
Feb. 15, 2022 at 12:33 a.m.
greenway just got an extension so he's going to stay but i agree he should've been the odd man out. from what i've seen he's not anything special and fiala is light years better. i didn't like that extension. i rlly don't see anyway in which fiala stays already making 5.1 this year and he's due for a 6.5-7 upgrade in that contract.

nelson is at 6 which will be cheaper than fiala it's more of a replacement than a cap save. the save here would be dumba for mayfield++. minnesota won't need much breathing room in the cap w no extensions in the top 6 due for 2 years (boldy who they can bridge). nelson will easily pot 30+ goals on minnesota. so ur getting rlly rlly good value on that 6M too.

Greenway has been really good for the last 25 games or so but at times can just be nonexistent out there

I don't think Nelson is bad but I also believe adding a 30 year old with 4 years left on a contract that you Amy not be able to fit in another year or so is wise. Sure, he could pot 30, but so could Fiala and I think he'd more likely as well. Fiala, despite only shooting at a 3.4% clip for the first 27 games (over 60%) of the season and having next to no offensive help until Boldy got called up, is still on pace for 26 goals over 82 games

The main reason to make a deal with a trade base of Fiala-Nelson should be to get better defensively. Forget the mediocre cap savings. But, Minnesota really doesn't need to get better defensively as a team at all. They need Fiala's speed and skill a lot more because before Boldy came up, there wasn't much behind the 1st line for consistent, high potential offense outside of Kevin.

So, with all of that said, and Rossi basically guaranteed that missing center spot in the top 9, I think the 1M or so savings against the cap doesn't make the idea worth it at all. Getting older, slower, minimal cap savings and the Rossi situation all make it a firm "No" from myself and probably Guerin as well. If Nelson was a rental, I'd be much more interested in trading for him.

I genuinely believe that next year's team needs a winger more than a center. Because if Fiala is gone, who takes his spot? We know that Rossi gets Guadreau's current spot, but who gets Fiala's? Adam Beckman? Do we really want to sacrifice line chemistry or have a line of 21 and unders? 2 of which would be rookies? Because those are the options if Fiala is moved.
RazWild and Rangers13232 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll