SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vegas Golden Knights

Where will Vegas land in the standings after their first year?

Standings
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 12, 2017 at 10:49 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Where do you think they will land after their first year with their expansion team?
Apr. 12, 2017 at 1:38 p.m.
NBABound
They're gonna have some better players to compete with. My guess would be 11th in the conference.
Apr. 12, 2017 at 5:58 p.m.
Joel Mann
Quoting: Banks
Where do you think they will land after their first year with their expansion team?

Depends which way they go in the expansion draft. If they mainly pick the more experienced players to try to be successful early or pick players for the future.
Apr. 13, 2017 at 6:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think maybe 27th or 28th.
Apr. 15, 2017 at 8:18 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
I think it's not easy to definitively say, at this point. On the one hand, expansion franchises have always started off terribly. On the other, the NHL is trying their darndest to help the (Las) Vegas Golden Knights succeed. We'll see how McPhee does the expansion (and regular) draft and wheels and deals, but I'll be optimistic and say... somewhere in the 18 - 22 range.
Apr. 19, 2017 at 6:54 p.m.
Don't think they will perform overly well. They should be able to pick up a decent goaltender but they will not likely have a top 2 D or a proper 1st line excluding the draft.
Apr. 23, 2017 at 3:08 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
They'll be dead last. Think about how bad this year's Avalanche are. I know that their coaching was horrible, but this is a team that has Nathan Mackinnon, Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog, and Tyson Barrie. Vegas won't have a player of this caliber, unless they swing some sort of deal to leave a decent player exposed.

It seems that the catalysts of their team next year are going to be players like Jakob Silfverberg, Alex Killorn and Jack Johnson, with Marc-Andre Fleury being the best case scenario in net. GMGM said that he wants to compete right away, but there's no way that it's possible without trading their entire future. They would be smart to draft a team that barely meets the cap floor, then trade their cap space for high picks and top prospects.
May 6, 2017 at 11:29 p.m.
Banned
I Think Maybe 6-10
Jun. 20, 2017 at 1:38 a.m.
Vegas will make Post Season within first 3 seasons in NHL... This poll would have been better if it picked where they would land in their Conference instead of entire NHL... I figure they will be in the 6 to 10 range within the Western Conference hence I voted for 11-15 since that was closer to a fringe Post Season... Looking at history of Expansion teams its within reason they make it in first few years if not initial. I could draft a team from those unprotected that would make the Post Season. Many teams in the West like the Kings don't have a clue protecting somebody like Forbort a 1st round Bust... Where his entire career wont equal a decent season for Tarasenko smile. This is the same franchise that passed up King Karl in the Drew/Voynov draft smile. Maybe they can take 3rd in Pacific since Oilers over achieved last year, Sharks faded down stretch. Remember even the Atlanta Thrashers have as many Division titles as the LA 2 time Stanley Cup Kings do smile. Losing in OT instead of regulation would really increase the chances of Knights making Post Season this year which I give 50/50 chances of happening. I'm surprised how many quality right shooting D-men are there to be taken besides signed like Shattenkirk and others. I'll guess they have 85 to 99 points depending on injuries and luck smile.
Jun. 22, 2017 at 12:07 a.m.
that draft was rough 3 absolutely horrid picks/trades/non-trades winnapeg ripped them off thorburn and a 5th and move up from 24th to 13th big time rip!!!!! calgary lost nothing didnt give anything away wow lost a useless ufa 6-7 dman cause he lives in vegas he a alberta native tho what a waste can u say LAZAR pathetic.!!!! and carolina ufa connor bickley for a 5th held by boston so it not even carolinas pick bad bad bad. 2-3 years down the road with all the draft picks maybe. still at least 10 trades need to happen prob 6 at the draft dmen mostly and then other 4 at the trade deadline so im guess 2018 2019 lots of picks coming. ill say 58-64 points this coming year. 28th in the standings
Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:10 a.m.
Quoting: hockey_GoDz
that draft was rough 3 absolutely horrid picks/trades/non-trades winnapeg ripped them off thorburn and a 5th and move up from 24th to 13th big time rip!!!!! calgary lost nothing didnt give anything away wow lost a useless ufa 6-7 dman cause he lives in vegas he a alberta native tho what a waste can u say LAZAR pathetic.!!!! and carolina ufa connor bickley for a 5th held by boston so it not even carolinas pick bad bad bad. 2-3 years down the road with all the draft picks maybe. still at least 10 trades need to happen prob 6 at the draft dmen mostly and then other 4 at the trade deadline so im guess 2018 2019 lots of picks coming. ill say 58-64 points this coming year. 28th in the standings

While they made mistakes they are on pace for like 94 points with 28th place not seemingly likely smile. Maybe Montreal or Buffalo can fight it out for 28th place since it looks like Coyotes got last locked up tight wink. My pick of 11-15 as only person currently is looking pretty good along with my 85-99 points total smile. Still only about 25% done with season, lots can happen in other 75%. I was one of the few who seemed to think they would compete for a Playoff spot even after they botched the expansion draft along with having all the goalies issues/overload of left shooting D-men smile.

I do agree Flames didn't lost anything since he would have probably been easy to sign for no compensation if lives in Vegas anyways. There were a few teams who got off really easy, even picking Methot... When they could have got some draft pick for him then taken Wideman who can chip in 3-5 goals or more from right shooting D-man with some upside perhaps. Garrison when should have taken Kristers the goalie to give them a bit of depth even if its in the minors. Sure Tampa would have shipped them Garrison in that deal if they wanted him just to shed his 4.6M smile. I really think its like that movie Major League sometime only the GM tried to make sure the team didn't win only to have a coach/manager overachieve despite the lack of certain players or talent smile.
Jan. 2, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
Well... I don't think anyone expected them to be #2...
Jan. 3, 2018 at 12:35 p.m.
Quoting: boltscharge17
Don't think they will perform overly well. They should be able to pick up a decent goaltender but they will not likely have a top 2 D or a proper 1st line excluding the draft.

Well, ****
Jan. 4, 2018 at 8:57 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I really need to stop being surprised when they win games against top teams
Banks liked this.
Oct. 22, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
This Is an old forum WOW
oilersguy liked this.
Oct. 22, 2020 at 11:33 a.m.
While they made mistakes they are on pace for like 94 points with 28th place not seemingly likely smile. Maybe Montreal or Buffalo can fight it out for 28th place since it looks like Coyotes got last locked up tight wink. My pick of 11-15 as only person currently is looking pretty good along with my 85-99 points total smile. Still only about 25% done with season, lots can happen in other 75%. I was one of the few who seemed to think they would compete for a Playoff spot even after they botched the expansion draft along with having all the goalies issues/overload of left shooting D-men smile.

I do agree Flames didn't lost anything since he would have probably been easy to sign for no compensation if lives in Vegas anyways. There were a few teams who got off really easy, even picking Methot... When they could have got some draft pick for him then taken Wideman who can chip in 3-5 goals or more from right shooting D-man with some upside perhaps. Garrison when should have taken Kristers the goalie to give them a bit of depth even if its in the minors. Sure Tampa would have shipped them Garrison in that deal if they wanted him just to shed his 4.6M smile. I really think its like that movie Major League sometime only the GM tried to make sure the team didn't win only to have a coach/manager overachieve despite the lack of certain players or talent smile.
oilersguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit