SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Boston Bruins Prospect Discussion

May 17, 2017 at 12:32 p.m.
Joona Koppanen is someone that really peaks interest from me also. Has anyone been able to watch any video of him or read up? i looked at his stats briefly in U20 Jr.A SIM-Liiga which were really good but the league i don't believe is highly talented.

Also would anyone mind the Bruins drafting Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen at 53rd overall? I would like the move. Finland has a good track record when it comes to goalies.
May 18, 2017 at 7:34 a.m.
BreKel
Quoting: bonanca32
Joona Koppanen is someone that really peaks interest from me also. Has anyone been able to watch any video of him or read up? i looked at his stats briefly in U20 Jr.A SIM-Liiga which were really good but the league i don't believe is highly talented.

Also would anyone mind the Bruins drafting Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen at 53rd overall? I would like the move. Finland has a good track record when it comes to goalies.

That league That Koppanen plays in is supposedly the equivalent to playing high school hockey. At least that is what I've read on that. His stats are definitely intriguing and you hope he finds some success going pro. I believe he's going to potentially play for Illves. We'll see how he does against men. He has potential with his size but I can't read too much into his stats yet.

On UPL, as long as they don't draft a goalie in the 1st I won't complain when they decide to (if they do). I like this goalie class and it is very deep according to reports. I prefer some of the goalies over here but Luukonen seems like he has potential to be a good one.
May 18, 2017 at 7:58 a.m.

I've always been a fan of drafting a goalie every year just because you never know how they'll pan out. I'm biased when it comes to goalies as I like 6'3+ guys, unless your 6'2 but super athletic. This year I like the following in order:

1. Dayton Rasmussen - 4th
2. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - 2nd
3. Jake Ottinger - 2nd
4. Maxim Zhukov - 5th
5. Kirill Ustimenko - 6th

I still have high hopes for DV, but its always nice to have a good pipeline of goalies flowing through a system.
May 18, 2017 at 8:08 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N

I've always been a fan of drafting a goalie every year just because you never know how they'll pan out. I'm biased when it comes to goalies as I like 6'3+ guys, unless your 6'2 but super athletic. This year I like the following in order:

3. Jake Ottinger - 2nd
4. Maxim Zhukov - 5th

I still have high hopes for DV, but its always nice to have a good pipeline of goalies flowing through a system.

Yeah I love me some DV myself but as you said finding a goalie isn't like finding a top 6 forward.There are no sure things, it's definitely a tougher position to judge for potential.

P.s your outlook on goalies is exactly the same as mine lol. It's one of the reasons i love DV
May 18, 2017 at 8:11 a.m.
Quoting: BreKel

That league That Koppanen plays in is supposedly the equivalent to playing high school hockey. At least that is what I've read on that. His stats are definitely intriguing and you hope he finds some success going pro. I believe he's going to potentially play for Illves. We'll see how he does against men. He has potential with his size but I can't read too much into his stats yet.

On UPL, as long as they don't draft a goalie in the 1st I won't complain when they decide to (if they do). I like this goalie class and it is very deep according to reports. I prefer some of the goalies over here but Luukonen seems like he has potential to be a good one.

Koppanen is Krejci's typical big-puck protecting LW that he loves. So if he does perform with the big boys then it would be nice to see them give him a shot.
May 18, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.

Koppanen is Krejci's typical big-puck protecting LW that he loves. So if he does perform with the big boys then it would be nice to see them give him a shot.

Koppanen is probably more of a bottom 6 forward. He's big and sound defensively, but the offense isn't really there.
May 18, 2017 at 6:47 p.m.
BreKel

3. Jake Ottinger - 2nd
4. Maxim Zhukov - 5th

I like your list but would add a couple more to it. I really like Keith Petruzzelli and Kaden Fulcher. Fulcher's numbers at the OHL level aren't great, but from scouting reports, he sounds like he has solid potential. As a later round pick, he'd be a guy to stash and hope finds that next level. Here's a scouting report from Dom Tiano:

Quote:
Fulcher has the size NHL scouts covet in a goaltender. He is also quick with excellent reflexes. His post-to-post movement is elite level. Like most goaltenders at this level, continued coaching is required to continue to work on his skill set.

Fulcher has been prone to let in the odd soft goal, but he doesn’t appear to let it faze him. He can make spectacular saves and recovers quickly. His rebound control is just good, but at times he sends the puck right back out to scoring areas. He’s also good at absorbing pucks and holding on to force a faceoff. If you could see behind the mask, you’d see a guy who remains focused no matter what happens.

Fulcher is good at recovering and getting set for second chance opportunities. He’s very good at challenging shooters and gets out to the top of the paint quickly. He tracks the puck well through traffic and makes positional saves look easy.

The key for Fulcher is to put all those things together on a consistent basis, which at times has haunted him this season. Fine tuning his technique and continued coaching on areas he needs to be stronger will certainly help him at the next level. The tools are there and he’s willing to put in the effort required of him.
May 18, 2017 at 8:29 p.m.
I'm a big fan of oettinger and I'm not from the Boston area so I'm not biased to the area. Luukonnen is a guy I would take in the second if he's still there at the EDM pick Boston has but I wouldn't stretch for him.

DV I think will be a solid backup but not starter quality. Alot of his saves are positional rather than reflexive and though thats the way the league is trending, I don't see him becoming a Rinne, I see him being more of a Lindback which is not what fans should want. I hope I'm wrong and he's a decent goalie but I also tend to be a pessimist with prospects.
May 19, 2017 at 6:30 a.m.
Quoting: DirtyRebound
I'm a big fan of oettinger and I'm not from the Boston area so I'm not biased to the area. Luukonnen is a guy I would take in the second if he's still there at the EDM pick Boston has but I wouldn't stretch for him.

DV I think will be a solid backup but not starter quality. Alot of his saves are positional rather than reflexive and though thats the way the league is trending, I don't see him becoming a Rinne, I see him being more of a Lindback which is not what fans should want. I hope I'm wrong and he's a decent goalie but I also tend to be a pessimist with prospects.

When you're 6'5 you take up most of the net when you go down, so I'm not shocked that a lot of his saves are positional. It interesting that his numbers with Providence were pretty good for a 19yr old getting his first pro experience. On the flip side his numbers in the ECHL and International play are very sub-par. I know many scouts how him 3-5 years out when he was drafted and I'd imagine we wont see him even be a consideration for Boston another 2-3 years .
May 19, 2017 at 4:07 p.m.

When you're 6'5 you take up most of the net when you go down, so I'm not shocked that a lot of his saves are positional. It interesting that his numbers with Providence were pretty good for a 19yr old getting his first pro experience. On the flip side his numbers in the ECHL and International play are very sub-par. I know many scouts how him 3-5 years out when he was drafted and I'd imagine we wont see him even be a consideration for Boston another 2-3 years .

I kind of followed the scores of the Gladiators this year and alot of the scores were much higher than NHL or even AHL games. So I haven't really been judging him based on those games. In international he was supposed to be the Czech starting goalie at the WJC but lost the job in the first couple games. I watched these games and though he didnt have much help on the backend, the opposing players were just picking the corners on him and his reactions were pretty late. Doesn't help that he as a big guy wears Bauer supreme OD1N's which are a slimmer pad. Thats just what I observed from his play this year.
May 19, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
I'm watching the P-Bruins game right now and holy, Senyshyn's speed even at the AHL level is great. Watched him in the OHL and wondered if it would translate to pro and it definitely does. He'll be a Carl Hagelin at worst.

Also watching Zboril in the Mem Cup and I'm going to make a bold prediction that he's a bust. Seems to have peaked in his draft year, cant see him getting that much better. Hopefully I'm wrong but all I see is a less strong Radko Gudas.
May 20, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.
BreKel
I'm watching the P-Bruins game right now and holy, Senyshyn's speed even at the AHL level is great. Watched him in the OHL and wondered if it would translate to pro and it definitely does. He'll be a Carl Hagelin at worst.

Also watching Zboril in the Mem Cup and I'm going to make a bold prediction that he's a bust. Seems to have peaked in his draft year, cant see him getting that much better. Hopefully I'm wrong but all I see is a less strong Radko Gudas.

Yeah, I don't think you can really call a player a bust that hasn't even played a game at the AHL level yet. Zboril is doing more than fine at the CHL level. The problem with Zboril is that he plays on the same team as Chabot and this has fans doing the 20/20 hindsight game now. Zboril has some issues. He needs better game-to-game consistency. But he's a better defender than Chabot is. Chabot may put up points, but he has serious flaws in his defensive game. Offense for every position will trump. Bruins "passed" on Chabot and took Zboril so now this is under the microscope; having a down year right after being drafted didn't help either. He followed it up this season by having a great year statistically. Everything I've read on him is that he's been very good. He won't get the hype of Chabot because he's not putting up stud point as a defenseman but this prospect is very good and has a legitimate chance to be a solid top 2-4 defenseman. Is there bust potential? Of course, but no more than any of the other prospects in the NHL.

I'll be blunt, I hate "hot takes" like that. Let the kid play some pro games first. I question how much you're watching of him if you really think he's a "less strong" Gudas. The only similar thing in their games is they both have a nasty streak.
Jul. 8, 2017 at 12:31 p.m.
HockeySen
Assuming Bjork doesn't have an awful training camp, what line do you think he would play on? My guess is he would take the left side with Krejci and Backes. I have heard other people say that he might be put on the right side with Bergy and Marchand, and Pasta would play the off wing with Krejci and Backes. Any thoughts?
Jul. 8, 2017 at 12:34 p.m.
HockeySen

I am from the Boston area and I don't see what everyone else does in Oettinger. Based on what I've seen from his games at BU, he was pretty average. I guess since Bishop has six years left on his contract, it gives Oettinger at least 5 years to grow...
Jul. 9, 2017 at 4:38 a.m.
Edited Jul. 9, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: HockeySen
Assuming Bjork doesn't have an awful training camp, what line do you think he would play on? My guess is he would take the left side with Krejci and Backes. I have heard other people say that he might be put on the right side with Bergy and Marchand, and Pasta would play the off wing with Krejci and Backes. Any thoughts?

If Bjork was to move up and play with Bergy and Marchand, Cassidy wouldnt make Pasta play on his off wing. he would force Backes to play on his off wing or just put him on the third line right wing and get someone else for the second line left wing. I think Bjork is just going to play with Krejci and Pasta
Jul. 11, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: HockeySen

Barring any signs/trades for players, I think Bjork plays with Bergeron/Marchand or Krejci/Pastrnak. I don't see them moving anyone like Backes/Pastrnak to their off wing. I'd like to think Backes will be on the 3rd line, which would add nice depth to the lineup.
Jul. 11, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.
where would you rank Bjork out of overall forward prospects in the NHL?
Jul. 11, 2017 at 7:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I'm not a Bruins fan, but I really think that you guys have one of the more underrated prospect pools in the NHL. I might've made selections a little different than the ones made in the 2015 Draft, but overall the prospect pool is looking good. McAvoy is arguably the best prospect in the NHL right now, but I don't think JFK gets talked about enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a second line center for the Bruins, I think he's that good. His 200 foot game improved so much at BU this season, he fits the style for the Bruins pretty well, and he's definitely a guy that could put up 50-60 points in the NHL consistently
Jul. 11, 2017 at 10:08 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: phillyjabroni

He may be #1
Jul. 12, 2017 at 4:39 a.m.
Edited Jul. 12, 2017 at 6:17 a.m.

Thats a good question. Off the top of my head, id say top 10 for forward rookies going into next season
To give you an idea, Id say hes better than Kunin and Jost and potentially better than Boeser
Jul. 12, 2017 at 7:42 a.m.

I think you need to define prospect. different people have different considerations.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:22 p.m.
Banned

He may be #1

Over Keller? Boeser? Hischier?
Jul. 12, 2017 at 1:53 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: MatthewsMarnerNylander

He may be #1

Over Keller? Boeser? Hischier?

I read his post as where he would rank in the for Bruins prospects for some reason. Mistake.
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

Thats a good question. Off the top of my head, id say top 10 for forward rookies going into next season
To give you an idea, Id say hes better than Kunin and Jost and potentially better than Boeser

No way he's better than Jost or Boeser...
Jul. 12, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.
BreKel
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

No way he's better than Jost or Boeser...

What's your reasoning to say he's not better than Jost? Boeser, I can't say it right now, though who knows..Won't know until they play for a while. But it's not crazy to say that Bjork could be better than Jost.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll