SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Bruce Cassidy Discussion

Apr. 13, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
BreKel
Since he took over for Claude Julien, the Bruins went 18-8-1, making the playoffs for the first time in 2 years. My personal opinion is that since the team played so well down the stretch and made the playoffs, the Bruins are going to remove the interim tag and go with him as the coach next season. What does everyone else think?
Apr. 13, 2017 at 3:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think he's been a good coach.
Apr. 13, 2017 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: BreKel
Since he took over for Claude Julien, the Bruins went 18-8-1, making the playoffs for the first time in 2 years. My personal opinion is that since the team played so well down the stretch and made the playoffs, the Bruins are going to remove the interim tag and go with him as the coach next season. What does everyone else think?

I think they might, but we can't have the team getting manhandled for a full period like they did against Ottawa. That simply can't happen and you saying it's on the team is ridiculous. Everything comes back to coaching and the coach and his energy and how he commands himself over the full team. He simply didn't focus during the 2nd period and the results speak for themselves. Saying it's on the team is like saying Dan Bylsma coached the Penguins well a couple years ago and it was just on the team not playing well, then his replacement brought them to a Cup and Bylsma is pooping his pants in Buffalo, but it's not the coach, it's on the players. Buffalo has enough talent to be a playoff team. The leafs freakin leapfrogged them and I put it on coaching. Cassidy isn't proving he's good by winning like that. I'm glad he didn't crack or turtle, but theres only so many times he can get completely spanked like that in a period before he crumbles.

No man can withstand such soul crushing dominance repeatedly and come out on top. We're not talking about Jesus here, or whatever person you hold with the highest respect and think he was basically a human miracle that happened long ago. Cassidy is not the reincarnation of such a prominent person, he's basically slightly above average and that's because Claude laid down such a great foundation. A foundation that won a Stanley Cup, but then Claude got crushed so now it's Cassidy's turn. The bottom line is that he will not be able to coach games where the other team partakes in pure domination over us and still find a way to win and keep his job. He was extremely fortunate that Vatrano ripped a snipe job past Anderson and the momentum changed. If that play doesn't happen and we didn't turn the tables and end up winning, it would have been one of the most embarrassing losses I've ever witnessed by the Bruins and I've watched an extremely long time. That's the bottom line. One somewhat lucky play that leads to a great shooter rippling the twine randomly changed that game from being one of the worst in history to being a mildly uplifting win. I know it's not always worth the time to look at things the opposite way, but come on if we didn't get extremely fortunate and if the couple of players we have with particular skills that contributed to the win didn't step up, which loss in the history of the Bruins do you think would be more embarrassing? I simply can't remember losing a period that bad in all the time I've watched.

At the end of the day he won so he should be commended for getting the job done. The simple fact is that I'm not sure if he got the team in the right mindset in the 3rd period or if it was just that he was such a fool that he didn't know he got literally spanked in the second period. I mean he was a poor to average player and has a huge gap in his coaching career in the NHL. I mean are we sure this guy was just such an Alpha male that he let Ottawa dominate us in the 2nd because it would be a more crushing blow to them when we overcame them in the third? I'm not positive of that and I don't think theres anything you could suggest to sway my opinion on that. I'll give him full credit for the win, but that might be unjustified and it could pump him up enough to make him collapse. Not sure this guy has the wherewithal to recognize his surroundings and dissect the game as it's playing and find the solution to the problems that are occurring. I don't have complete faith that he's simply like Ilya Bryzgalov and he's the master of the universe. He can't manipulate time and space or change the weather with the blink of an eye. I am not impressed for if he was simply to be held in such high praise he should surely be able to perform miracles.

My conclusion is: he's simply in the ballpark of an average coach and we need more from him to be great. I truly hope he gives more and we respond better and win a Cup. I would be his biggest fan, but I'm not sure he's got it in himself. He has to earn it and it all starts next game.
Apr. 13, 2017 at 7:06 p.m.
BreKel
I was going to go through your post and break it down, but I have no desire to do it after reading it. A lot of rambling and a lot of stuff that is just all over the place. I'll hit on the main points. You make it sound like the Bruins getting dominated like that is a re-occurring thing. It's not, so why do you keep hammering the point like it is? He, like any coach, can only do so much for the team. You make a lot of assumptions that he's not doing his job behind the bench. You complain he somehow didn't work his magic behind the bench on the team for the 2nd, but give him very little credit for the job he did for every other part of the game. You do realize that he was without his #2 center to start. That, on top of, already missing TWO top 4 defenseman. He lost a defenseman mid-game.... The job he did last night was great. That's not easy things to overcome. I'm getting pretty annoyed reading over your post, to be honest.

You're hammering the guy for the Bruins play in the 2nd period, but belittle him for their 3rd period play. "The simple fact is that I'm not sure if he got the team in the right mindset in the 3rd period or if it was just that he was such a fool that he didn't know he got literally spanked in the second period...." Like what in the actual ****? So no credit where it's due? So you speak from a sure-thing that he's not doing his job behind the bench and that's why they played the way they did for the whole 2nd period, but 3rd period roles around, and you're questioning if he even did anything/said anything that led to them winning the period, and the game. That's bullshit, man...

His playing career has absolutely zero to do with his coaching. Why bring it up? That's a crap point. I can find you tons of coaches who were poor-to-average players and turned into good coaches. Claude Julien as prime example #1. You want more? I can provide them. You referenced Mike Sullivan above? He went 7 years before he became a head coach again, and that turned out fine.

Yeah... You have me completely befuddled on your Cassidy opinion. I can't agree with it at all.... I don't really respect it either. Lots of crap to whisked in with your points. Over-the-top, dramatic things said..... If you want to make a point, fine. But I think you're out to lunch on this one.
Apr. 18, 2017 at 11:16 a.m.
I was going to go through your post and break it down, but I have no desire to do it after reading it. A lot of rambling and a lot of stuff that is just all over the place. I'll hit on the main points. You make it sound like the Bruins getting dominated like that is a re-occurring thing. It's not, so why do you keep hammering the point like it is? He, like any coach, can only do so much for the team. You make a lot of assumptions that he's not doing his job behind the bench. You complain he somehow didn't work his magic behind the bench on the team for the 2nd, but give him very little credit for the job he did for every other part of the game. You do realize that he was without his #2 center to start. That, on top of, already missing TWO top 4 defenseman. He lost a defenseman mid-game.... The job he did last night was great. That's not easy things to overcome. I'm getting pretty annoyed reading over your post, to be honest.

You're hammering the guy for the Bruins play in the 2nd period, but belittle him for their 3rd period play. "The simple fact is that I'm not sure if he got the team in the right mindset in the 3rd period or if it was just that he was such a fool that he didn't know he got literally spanked in the second period...." Like what in the actual ****? So no credit where it's due? So you speak from a sure-thing that he's not doing his job behind the bench and that's why they played the way they did for the whole 2nd period, but 3rd period roles around, and you're questioning if he even did anything/said anything that led to them winning the period, and the game. That's bullshit, man...

His playing career has absolutely zero to do with his coaching. Why bring it up? That's a crap point. I can find you tons of coaches who were poor-to-average players and turned into good coaches. Claude Julien as prime example #1. You want more? I can provide them. You referenced Mike Sullivan above? He went 7 years before he became a head coach again, and that turned out fine.

Yeah... You have me completely befuddled on your Cassidy opinion. I can't agree with it at all.... I don't really respect it either. Lots of crap to whisked in with your points. Over-the-top, dramatic things said..... If you want to make a point, fine. But I think you're out to lunch on this one.

I think we have the better team. I think if we got to pick out who we played in round one of the playoffs, we would have selected Ottawa. I think if we lose to Ottawa it's basically poor coaching. We were better than them in basically every major category this year including Goals for, Goals Against, PP%, PK%, Corsi..... and you can keep going on and on because their team is fraudulent and was luckier than us to make the playoffs. They finished with a higher GAA 2.6 than Goals for Average 2.5. I don't know how you think we can lose to Ottawa and Bruce still did a good job coaching. I think if he's equal to Guy, we win easily. The only way Ottawa wins this is if we're out coached and out played. We can't afford these crappy periods BreKel and you said it's not a trend, but 2nd period game #1 and 1st period of game #3 were trash. We're mailing it in for full periods at a time, you can't even do that in beer league hockey if you want a victory. Maybe you're not seeing the game close enough, but it's easy to spot stuff like that for me. Really what we need is just better coaching, we're going to get screwed by the Refs every year. It always happens. We're going to get bad luck, it always happens. We need to outplay and out effort the opposition to win, but we're not even competing for a full 60.

We'll talk about this at the end of the series, but I think Cassidy's done an inadequate job so far. If he doesn't dig himself out of the hole he's created, he may not be best suited as a head coach.
Apr. 18, 2017 at 2:08 p.m.
BreKel
Yeah...Bruins don't need actual NHL caliber defenseman or anything. You're still out to lunch. I watch every game, and I don't need to "look closer". Cassidy has been very good. He didn't dig any holes. I can't stand your opinion on this. It makes no sense.
Apr. 18, 2017 at 2:53 p.m.
Yeah...Bruins don't need actual NHL caliber defenseman or anything. You're still out to lunch. I watch every game, and I don't need to "look closer". Cassidy has been very good. He didn't dig any holes. I can't stand your opinion on this. It makes no sense.

Read my post on the other page, then see the light. I was incorrect calling it the dark side, for it must be the light because it is more informed / intelligent. Bruce looks like one of those coaches who tries to be a friend to the players, the problem is he's just not cool, clever, smart enough to pull it off. When he says the wrong thing or pushes the wrong button our team noticeably and needlessly nosedives. Alliteration? Immaculate, please hold yourself to a higher standard and our coach to one too. Our defenseman are not the problem. They are doing well so far and we were the team best suited to lose a bunch. We've gotten through the battles fine with the guys we've had. It's scoring letting us down. Craig Anderson is marginal, the area behind him looks like a freakin coal bin in warmups for a reason. He's not even good and we have 2 guys who basically amounted to a PPG pace this season. Great move putting them both on the same line the majority of the time. The funny thing is we got schooled the majority of that time, then he switched the lines to how I said they should be and we got back in the game in game 3. We have no depth scoring, putting our only 3 guys who bring it nightly on the same line is what I would assume a child would believe is good. The sad truth is you're going to lose 3 out of every 4 shifts managing your team that way. Once it starts to snowball you're stuck losing over and over again until the period ends. How are you not seeing it? How are you not knowing that he's the culprit of why its happening?

No-ones going to argue you about Bruce being a good coach down the stretch of the season, but he's dropped the ball big time when the lights got brighter. He's been sub par so far and needs to get far smarter in a hurry. Even in his interviews he tries to look unfazed by the negatives that happened in the game but it makes him seem unattached and unconcerned with what happened, which lets the players get away with underperforming. I wonder how many crappy periods you will tolerate until you figure out that even just one period of such underperforming is too many to have on your resume.
Apr. 18, 2017 at 5:17 p.m.
BreKel
He's dropped the ball? The team is in shambles. I don't know why this is such a difficult thing for you to comprehend. But lets do what you said...Agree to disagree.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll