Forums/Armchair-GM

Hellebucyk Deal

Created by: Hemskyisgoat
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 25, 2022
Published: Feb. 25, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jets should look to unload assets and go all in on a rebuild. The current core cannot get it done, and they are in a limbo state.
Trades
WPG
  1. Bourgault, Xavier [Reserve List]
  2. Broberg, Philip
  3. Kassian, Zack
  4. Skinner, Stuart
  5. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
  6. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2022 6th round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2023 5th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,137,331$669,339$907,500$362,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,108,696$2,108,696
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Jets decline. They don't have a goalie that is ready to take his place.

They will probably reshape the forward group in the offseason, but for now they should deal their pending UFAs.
CD282, Windjammer, Rooney and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
maybe I'm uncultured but this is the first Hellbucyk deal I've seen on this site.

maybe I'm a fool, but you certainly aren't totally undervaluing him. Not sure if this gets the deal done but you certainly offer up a lot to Winnipeg and don't rip them off.

very interesting and original IMO!
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
Jets decline. They don't have a goalie that is ready to take his place.

They will probably reshape the forward group in the offseason, but for now they should deal their pending UFAs.

Skinner has shown he can play in the NHL, maybe not a starters role but a tandem guy right now. I feel as if the Jets have hit their peak, therefore they should go all in on a rebuild. They don’t need a goalie that’s going to win them games in that case.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Other than the firsts and maybe Bourgault there is nothing in that offer that the Jets need or want. Plus there is no compensation for taking Kassian as a dump. Certainly a no from Winnipeg.
Mr_Canoehead, Rooney and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
Quoting: Hemskyisgoat
Skinner has shown he can play in the NHL, maybe not a starters role but a tandem guy right now. I feel as if the Jets have hit their peak, therefore they should go all in on a rebuild. They don’t need a goalie that’s going to win them games in that case.

Good to hear about Skinner so that the Oilers will stick with Skinner and the Jets will keep Hellebuyck.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Good to hear about Skinner so that the Oilers will stick with Skinner and the Jets will keep Hellebuyck.

Why would the Jets keep moving with the same core that hasn’t achieved anything other then winning 1 game in the CF in the past 6 years? They aren’t going to make the playoffs this year, and i just don’t see how you can justify a re-tool over a rebuild at this point in time.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Can't see Winnipeg doing this. I also don't believe they need to go into rebuild mode. Retool the forward group this summer and move our pending UFA's at the deadline.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Bedard23
Why would the Jets keep moving with the same core that hasn’t achieved anything other then winning 1 game in the CF in the past 6 years? They aren’t going to make the playoffs this year, and i just don’t see how you can justify a re-tool over a rebuild at this point in time.

At least they can say that they’ve won more playoff series then the oilers the last 12 years
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.

By that logic, the Oilers should be in a full rebuild. A re-tool is a much better idea for the Jets, take a look at the strides the Flames have made in one offseason. The Jets can hire an NHL coach in the offseason and address the forward group.
vikhodush, Rooney and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
Other than the firsts and maybe Bourgault there is nothing in that offer that the Jets need or want. Plus there is no compensation for taking Kassian as a dump. Certainly a no from Winnipeg.

Broberg is a top D prospect, and would be a close 2nd in the jets pipeline behind Heinola. Skinner is young and projects to be a starter. The oilers can take out Kassian if you really thinks it’s unfair and dump him somewhere else. I don’t know how you could retool the jets forward core with how bad scheif and wheeler are playing at 5v5
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.

You could all the same question about Edmonton. The Oilers have had McDavid for 7 years now and aren't any closer to being a playoff team than they were 7 years ago. Why would the Oilers keep moving forward with that core?

The Oilers haven't even come close to accomplishing what Winnipeg has in less time without McDavid.
Rooney and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
At least they can say that they’ve won more playoff series then the oilers the last 12 years

That’s why the Oilers are trading for a starting goalie in this scenario.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Would have to start with Bouchard.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Broberg is a top D prospect, and would be a close 2nd in the jets pipeline behind Heinola. Skinner is young and projects to be a starter. The oilers can take out Kassian if you really thinks it’s unfair and dump him somewhere else. I don’t know how you could retool the jets forward core with how bad scheif and wheeler are playing at 5v5

Broberg Is an LD prospect and isn't any better than Heinola, Samberg, Stanley, Chisholm or Kovacevic. The Jets don't need any LD. Skinner is okay, but no better than Berdin, so not needed.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
Bedard23
That’s why the Oilers are trading for a starting goalie in this scenario.

And more playoff wins then oilers do playoff appearances in that same span (no the play-in tournament doesn’t count as the playoffs if you think it does then your wrong)
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.
Broberg Is an LD prospect and isn't any better than Heinola, Samberg, Stanley, Chisholm or Kovacevic. The Jets don't need any LD. Skinner is okay, but no better than Berdin, so not needed.

Broberg is 21 and a top 10 pick. He’s going to be better then all those guys you mentioned with the exception to Heinola. Berdin is a good prospect, but Skinner is the same age with better numbers. I don’t think it would hurt the jets to have more then 1 goalie prospect.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
And more playoff wins then oilers do playoff appearances in that same span (no the play-in tournament doesn’t count as the playoffs if you think it does then your wrong)

The oilers need a goalie so they can make it further than in the past with their current group. Yes the jest have been better recently then the oilers, and a large part of that is Helle. If you seriously don’t think that this Jets team has hit their peak i don’t know what to tell you.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
By that logic, the Oilers should be in a full rebuild. A re-tool is a much better idea for the Jets, take a look at the strides the Flames have made in one offseason. The Jets can hire an NHL coach in the offseason and address the forward group.

Good point, but the oilers problems stem from a lack of a goalie. If the oilers get a goalie, they could go on a run. The jets thought it was their D, made move this off-season for some, but they are now worse. Wheeler and Scheifele have been non factors 5v5 this year, and i just don’t see how many more changes they can make to make this team better.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Broberg is 21 and a top 10 pick. He’s going to be better then all those guys you mentioned with the exception to Heinola. Berdin is a good prospect, but Skinner is the same age with better numbers. I don’t think it would hurt the jets to have more then 1 goalie prospect.

It doesn't matter how good you think Broberg is, he isn't needed. At best he might be a marginal improvement on what Winnipeg has if he hits his maximum potential. But with the Oilers draft and "development" record, I'd rather trust the Jets drafting than the Oilers. Just look at how many first overall busts the Oilers have had. They've had more first overall busts than most teams have had 1st overall picks! It's not encouraging trusting the Oilers scouts.

Now, if you want to move Skinner for his actual value the Jets could throw a 3rd or 4th your way.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Good point, but the oilers problems stem from a lack of a goalie. If the oilers get a goalie, they could go on a run. The jets thought it was their D, made move this off-season for some, but they are now worse. Wheeler and Scheifele have been non factors 5v5 this year, and i just don’t see how many more changes they can make to make this team better.

The Jets can move on from the interim coach and get a solid NHL coach. They can re-adjust their forward group using the cap space freed up by Copp and Stastny leaving and use that and maybe deal some defense prospects to address the forward group. If the Scheifele trade talk from Seravalli pans out, then that would also go a long way of rebalancing the forward group. Those are the types of things that are more realistic and what Calgary did in the offseason.
Windjammer and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
It doesn't matter how good you think Broberg is, he isn't needed. At best he might be a marginal improvement on what Winnipeg has if he hits his maximum potential. But with the Oilers draft and "development" record, I'd rather trust the Jets drafting than the Oilers. Just look at how many first overall busts the Oilers have had. They've had more first overall busts than most teams have had 1st overall picks! It's not encouraging trusting the Oilers scouts.

Now, if you want to move Skinner for his actual value the Jets could throw a 3rd or 4th your way.

Most of the Oilers draft busts have been consensus picks by all scouts and teams. Every team would have taken Yakupov at 1 and puljujarvi at 4 if they were in that scenario. Bouchard can take broberg’s place in the deal if that floats your boat. Why do you think the jets can compete in the hardest div in the NHL next year by re-tooling? Do you think that their current core can still get it done?
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:49 p.m.
What in tarnation
Just go and buy Varlamov from NYI. No point selling all of your future for a goalie that's not really available in the market.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
The Jets can move on from the interim coach and get a solid NHL coach. They can re-adjust their forward group using the cap space freed up by Copp and Stastny leaving and use that and maybe deal some defense prospects to address the forward group. If the Scheifele trade talk from Seravalli pans out, then that would also go a long way of rebalancing the forward group. Those are the types of things that are more realistic and what Calgary did in the offseason.

Calgary is in the easiest division in hockey, and they were coming off a year where everyone had a down year. Markstrom, gaudreau, and tkachuk we’re all awful but now they are playing at all star levels. While they had a few key additions, it’s mostly their key guys having bounce back years. While the Jets could have a bounce back year, they are in the Central and it would be very tough to make it out even with a retooled roster IMO.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.
Calgary is in the easiest division in hockey, and they were coming off a year where everyone had a down year. Markstrom, gaudreau, and tkachuk we’re all awful but now they are playing at all star levels. While they had a few key additions, it’s mostly their key guys having bounce back years. While the Jets could have a bounce back year, they are in the Central and it would be very tough to make it out even with a retooled roster IMO.

Cheveldayoff will give himself that chance. If the trades Hellebuyck, he is essentially firing himself.
arafay liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
No way the jets rebuild with the group they have. They head into the offseason and puck up a good coach. Then give him the summer like calgary did with sutter and see where it goes. I truly believe this team’s problem is coaching.

I know people have been going after schiefele, but in my opinion there’s no way you trade a guy like that unless you get exactly what you want with where this team is at.

Going off that, hellebuyck is in the same boat, but there’s nothing you would want for hellebuyck. You want hellebuyck. Trading hellebuyck would mean the jets go into a rebuild, and they are too well built for that.

They probably trade their UFA’s this year, add some young size and scoring to their bottom 6 at the tdl and offseason, and promote some young guys who have proven they are ready on defence (while moving one of the vets). All while getting a good coach.

I honestly think this team’s problem is coaching. You can’t be this good on paper (with a relatively young team) and be so bad. That’s not directly on the gm, he made the team, it’s on coaching
Mr_Canoehead and Windjammer liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll