SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #17

Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:26 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks
U thinking trading Kerfoot? Imo he’s been pretty good this season. And Boston’s closing in they 2 points behind us but we have a game in hand

Kerfoot should be moved for the fact yes hes having a good season but honestly you put anyone with JT and Nylander and they probs be doing the same. Use his 3.5mill and points and go trade for that Dman we need. Then bring in a cheaper just as good wing and slot him in
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:27 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The Leafs have lost close to 69% of their accrued cap space. IMO I will be very surprised if he is back since they went ahead and maxed out their LTIR space before putting Muzzin on.

Otherwise it’s money in money out in terms of trades or getting retention but with only 3 picks this year can’t see that happening.

Honestly no idea what Dubas will do, there’s just too many glaring holes at major positions to address at 1 deadline.

Remember its 3 picks this season all but one next season. Not every team is gonna just ask for 2022 picks as some may go fine give us the 2023 picks.

And what are these glaring holes as I only see 1

The need for a top 4 2-way Dman lul

Bottom 6 scoring depth will improve once Kase returns and if Robertson can continue this kind of performance we got something interesting brewing for the 2nd line.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:31 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: aadoyle
There is one thing to address.

Getting a top 4 LD to put Brodie back with Rielly

Giordano fits that description. You bring him in and I got a feeling you will see a significant change.

Rielly has been awful since being split from brodie so pair them back together. Holl has been much better so pair him with Gio. Then go with Sandin-Lybushkin as that works nicely

Everything else though has been fine. Once Kase comes back you put him on the third line and take out Engvall. Robertson can stay with JT and Nylander as he really looked good and who knows maybe he was the piece this team was waiting for.

As Top line good, 2nd line need to see more but better, 3rd line when healthy, good, 4th line is also a big ?. I think they need someone to play center and move Spezza back to RW. But thats just me

The Leafs have lost close to 69% of their accrued cap space. IMO I will be very surprised if he is back since they went ahead and maxed out their LTIR space before putting Muzzin on.

Otherwise it’s money in money out in terms of trades or getting retention but with only 3 picks this year can’t see that happening.

Honestly no idea what Dubas will do, there’s just too many glaring holes at major positions to address at 1 deadline.

Easy Solution: PK Subban
If he's too expensive: Ben Chiarot

If I'm Dubas, Im focusing on defense. Goalies are always hot and cold. But a good defense in front of them, less likely going to be cold. Trade for a RD and hope insurance LD.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:34 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Devil

If I'm Dubas, Im focusing on defense. Goalies are always hot and cold. But a good defense in front of them, less likely going to be cold. Trade for a RD and hope insurance LD.

I know Dubas said he doesn't want to trade a 1st or a good prospect for a dman but if the Leafs want to make it past round 1, they have to
Panthers look scary. Lightning always show up in the playoffs. Bruins catching up to Toronto.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Remember its 3 picks this season all but one next season. Not every team is gonna just ask for 2022 picks as some may go fine give us the 2023 picks.

And what are these glaring holes as I only see 1

The need for a top 4 2-way Dman lul

Bottom 6 scoring depth will improve once Kase returns and if Robertson can continue this kind of performance we got something interesting brewing for the 2nd line.

Robertson looked amazing, the whole 2nd line was:
Shots for/against: 9-1
Goals for/against: 1-0
Expected goals: 80 percent

But I’m not ready to say that’s fixed after one game against VAN who have their own issues defensively.

Leafs need:
Top 6 FWD
Top 4 D
Scoring 3C
A new 4th line

If they expect to go anywhere. Only my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

I agree with the part for Defense

I know people go A, B, C

I think Dubas will trade for Giordano. Its that gut feeling and man does he make sense. But hey if he can do it correctly maybe he adds a guy like Mayfield to

All depends on who goes for Giordano
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

Agreed. Ben Chiarot has been amazing under MSL and it is exactly what they need, as much as they don't like the idea. He was bad under Ducharme because his system is one that relies wayyy too much on D. It works with mountains #1D like Weber, but this system is broken if Chiarot is your go-to #1D.
DucharmetheDOMinator, aadoyle, Devil and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:39 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Robertson looked amazing, the whole 2nd line was:
Shots for/against: 9-1
Goals for/against: 1-0
Expected goals: 80 percent

But I’m not ready to say that’s fixed after one game against VAN who have their own issues defensively.

Leafs need:
Top 6 FWD
Top 4 D
Scoring 3C
A new 4th line

If they expect to go anywhere. Only my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.

I would wait to see how Robbie does this week before top 6 Fwd. Cause who knows maybe he goes on a scoring spree.

Top 4 D (Dubas is on that)

Scoring 3c nah. Kampf has honestly been good this year. Once Kase returns Czech magic will be back. Plus SHG generator when he and Marner are together

For me the 4th line needs a center. Last year Simmonds-Brooks-Spezza was solid

And once again Seattle has a guy (Shehan)

Honestly Seattle is just an all-in one store for all our needs lul. Chicago is a close second with De-Haan and Hagel
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:39 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg
Agreed. Ben Chiarot has been amazing under MSL and it is exactly what they need, as much as they don't like the idea. He was bad under Ducharme because his system is one that relies wayyy too much on D. It works with mountains #1D like Weber, but this system is broken if Chiarot is your go-to #1D.

Problem is the asking price

If its Dropped Chiarot probs a leaf tomorrow lul
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
I want this as a Playoff series
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Gmonwy

As someone who just moved to Calgary, I'm excited to see what a deep playoff run looks like in person. Last one I was a part of was 16 years ago.

Flames-Oilers first round is still my preference.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
As someone who just moved to Calgary, I'm excited to see what a deep playoff run looks like in person. Last one I was a part of was 16 years ago.

Flames-Oilers first round is still my preference.

Eh I would love to see Calgary Edmonton round 1 and Calgary Colorado most likely round 3
BeterChiarelli, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Eh I would love to see Calgary Edmonton round 1 and Calgary Colorado most likely round 3

You guys have a deep team
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM

And both have backups in net tonight 👀
Gmonwy liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO

One point secured let's see if we can get 3 out of 4 total points this weekend(I had Friday off so I count Thursday night as the weekend)
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:45 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
And both have backups in net tonight 👀

Kuemper started then got pulled after Gudbranson scored
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: SevenLeg

Agreed he has looked better under Martin St. Louis. But unless that person is named Giroux, Hertl, or Forsberg, no 1st for rentals.

The Leafs are not 1 Ben Chiarot away from contending
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Kuemper started then got pulled after Gudbranson scored

But was only 3-2 . Perplexing decision.
Bold take though: francouz is better than kuemper
Mar. 6, 2022 at 12:48 a.m.

Then a Tampa Calgary finals replay of 04 but Calgary gets it would be dope
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:08 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I hate my fan base

Saskleaf, Remus, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:10 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM

I hate my fan base

I hate your fan base too!
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:19 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

I hate my fan base

People forget since Joining the Leafs Jack has been one of the best goalies seen in a long time. Tied Carey Price's consecutive win record last season. He has a slump last year and nobody batted an eye. This year Im seeing a repeat of what happened with Freddie. He slows down people bash on him gone. And if were not careful Campbell is next.
A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:19 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Agreed he has looked better under Martin St. Louis. But unless that person is named Giroux, Hertl, or Forsberg, no 1st for rentals.

The Leafs are not 1 Ben Chiarot away from contending

Problem is the asking price

If its Dropped Chiarot probs a leaf tomorrow lul

From what I've read, teams aren't making serious offers for UFA defensemen until they know Anaheim's plans regarding Hampus Lindholm. If he's available, teams will have him as their #1 target and if he's dealt it will set the market prices.
aadoyle and capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:25 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

Andrew Raycroft is the perfect example of a former NHLer struggling to stay relevant.
Mar. 6, 2022 at 1:31 a.m.
Farewell

I hate my fan base

I hate your fan base too!

I'm telling you, the only normal, decent Leafs fans that I know of are Matthews fan, Saskleaf, and aadoyle. The rest of their fans are awful. Jack Campbell hasn't been good lately, but he's a terrific guy with an absolute heart of gold-literally one of the nicest, sweetest people in the game. The Maple Leaf fanbase doesn't deserve him, as proven by the above remarks. Garbage, utter morons. It's one of the reasons why everybody loves to see the Leafs lose.
MatthewsFan, EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll