SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #17

Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:01 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: CoopsTroops
We needed Goodrow and Coleman though, Savard was a luxury.

I’m all for trading for guys with term for an overpayment but I will never understand GM’s throwing away picks and prospects for rentals
capsfan2121, zk97, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: Devil

Big news from the CHL

Now that's crossing a line, if those kids want to escape Russia, the CHL is a great option, banning them from international comp sure, removing most connections to Russia, go for it but this is too much
MitchMarner_16, Devil, Brian2016 and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.

Big news from the CHL

Don't agree. These kids, along with a large portion of the russian population, dont want war, and it's not their fault.

What gain will it be to ban teens from a draft? Some of the best players in hockey are russian!

I can see banning a nation from international competition, but stunting individual careers becuase of a power-hungry leader, makes little sense
Devil, A_Habs_fan, Brian2016 and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Now that's crossing a line, if those kids want to escape Russia, the CHL is a great option, banning them from international comp sure, removing most connections to Russia, go for it but this is too much

Ya and I bet Russia is hardly upset with keeping their own talent home 🤷‍♂️

capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, Brian2016 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.

Big news from the CHL

Just one more thought on this decision: During the height of the Cold War, including the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, The US and Canada worked hard to unify the hockey world through tournaments like the Canada Cup. We welcomed Russian born players who defected b/c we realized that the world isn't a simple place. It was less than 4 years ago when Washington D.C. - the epicenter of freedom and liberty - celebrated a Stanley Cup with a Russian-born superstar. We're supposed to take the high ground. We're not supposed to judge people for things they have zero control over.
MitchMarner_16, zk97, EsoYeezus69 and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m all for trading for guys with term for an overpayment but I will never understand GM’s throwing away picks and prospects for rentals

It rarely works and more often than not you end up with no young talent and no Cup. But, the TBL hit the jackpot when they gave away the store for their 3rd line.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Don't agree. These kids, along with a large portion of the russian population, dont want war, and it's not their fault.

What gain will it be to ban teens from a draft? Some of the best players in hockey are russian!

I can see banning a nation from international competition, but stunting individual careers becuase of a power-hungry leader, makes little sense

It's going scorched earth, it makes some sense from a political perspective ( if no one except the military and the rich 1% supports Putin, eventually he'll crumble ) but this is going a bit too far, now you're persecuting people for being Russian, not just taking the right stance and trying to separate themselves from and punish Russia. The thing is, this actually hurts us as fewer players will come over to NA and so fewer players may sign in the NHL

Edit: and the measure is incredibly short-sighted as it will only hurt in the long run
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Db1899
Big fan of the isles new beat writer

I didn’t realize how much of a glaring hole Kurz would leave behind when transitioning over from the Sharks.

Corey Massiak has been fine, but Kurz definitely is missed from the Sharks coverage. Guy got too much flack far too often.
Db1899 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: hanson493
Just a note to everyone on here, lysell isnt being moved. k thanks! dont care if thats your "hypothetical costs" bruins arent sending lysell, lohrei, or harrison anywhere.

Dw if the Bruins do trade Lysell; they’re idiots.

He should be untouchable with Charlie, Berg, Marchand, and Pasta.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
I didn’t realize how much of a glaring hole Kurz would leave behind when transitioning over from the Sharks.

Corey Massiak has been fine, but Kurz definitely is missed from the Sharks coverage. Guy got too much flack far too often.

What was he criticized for?

I like Kurz because he calls it how he sees it - he’ll criticize anyone on the team + call out Lou/Trotz when it’s necessary. Some fans hate that, they believe certain players/management deserve benefit of the doubt

For example, he posted that Josh Bailey has the worst possession numbers on the isles and some fans hated it. They take it personal because they love Bailey for some odd reason. Arthur staple never criticized Bailey, he wrote about the team like Lou/Trotz read all of his articles
AndrewLadd and yikes liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Farewell

Quoting: Brian2016
Just one more thought on this decision: During the height of the Cold War, including the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, The US and Canada worked hard to unify the hockey world through tournaments like the Canada Cup. We welcomed Russian born players who defected b/c we realized that the world isn't a simple place. It was less than 4 years ago when Washington D.C. - the epicenter of freedom and liberty - celebrated a Stanley Cup with a Russian-born superstar. We're supposed to take the high ground. We're not supposed to judge people for things they have zero control over.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Like I said earlier, I'm more than fine with banning TEAM RUSSIA from tournaments (such as the WJC) because that's the actual COUNTRY, the players their are literally representing the country of Russia. But banning individual players who just happen to come from Russia even though they're not representing the country in any way?! That's stupid and nonsensical. This is going too far.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
What was he criticized for?

I like Kurz because he calls it how he sees it - he’ll criticize anyone on the team + call out Lou/Trotz when it’s necessary. Some fans hate that, they believe certain players/management deserve benefit of the doubt

For example, he posted that Josh Bailey has the worst possession numbers on the isles and some fans hated it. They take it personal because they love Bailey for some odd reason. Arthur staple never criticized Bailey, he wrote about the team like Lou/Trotz read all of his articles

About the same thing - but I guess all fanbases are similar.

Maybe more from the Sharks cause any time he praised Karlsson - he’d get slammed. And then anytime he hated on Karlsson; he’d get mocked and get called negative.

And people thought he wasn’t critical enough with Doug Wilson Sr - but I think he’s always done a great job on voicing his opinion, and most of his opinions are quite fair/ realistic. And I miss how blunt his coverage is; as you said, he says it how it is.
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

I agree

And in my opinion, this helps Russia more than it hurts them. Russia would want their best prospects to stay in Russia opposed to go to NA
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
I make typos

Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
I make typos

this is interesting calendar/wallpaper
zk97 and DucharmetheDOMinator liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
About the same thing - but I guess all fanbases are similar.

Maybe more from the Sharks cause any time he praised Karlsson - he’d get slammed. And then anytime he hated on Karlsson; he’d get mocked and get called negative.

And people thought he wasn’t critical enough with Doug Wilson Sr - but I think he’s always done a great job on voicing his opinion, and most of his opinions are quite fair/ realistic. And I miss how blunt his coverage is; as you said, he says it how it is.

I like writers like him - I might not agree with everything he says but I know he’s doing his best to be objective. All he said last night was that Devon Toews led the way in the Avs win and isles fans jumped down his throat because they take it as trolling. Toews had 3 pts last night, of course that’s going to be a part of the article.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
I make typos

Mar. 2, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I like writers like him - I might not agree with everything he says but I know he’s doing his best to be objective. All he said last night was that Devon Toews led the way in the Avs win and isles fans jumped down his throat because they take it as trolling. Toews had 3 pts last night, of course that’s going to be a part of the article.

Anything to protect precious Lou and Trotz egos and their “Stan’s”.
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

To bad he doesnt PK...KEEFE MAKE IT HAPPEN
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 4:46 p.m.
Farewell
Holy smokes-am I the only one seeing this Barrett Hayton goal for the first time 5 DAYS after it happened? WOW. That's a MCDAVID-LEVEL goal.

Saskleaf, MitchMarner_16, BuFfaLOFaN and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

To bad he doesnt PK...KEEFE MAKE IT HAPPEN

Not a good idea to have your best player blocking shots though. If he’s PK it should be last 15-20 seconds
DirtyDangle and Devil liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Dw if the Bruins do trade Lysell; they’re idiots.

He should be untouchable with Charlie, Berg, Marchand, and Pasta.

just tired of seeing unoriginal moves. we have one of the worst rated farms, we finally hit on a couple picks that will likely be NHL bound soon. why are we just giving those away again? JT Miller will not net you lysell.

Not directed at you yikes, directed at others.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: hanson493
just tired of seeing unoriginal moves. we have one of the worst rated farms, we finally hit on a couple picks that will likely be NHL bound soon. why are we just giving those away again? JT Miller will not net you lysell.

Not directed at you yikes, directed at others.

Mhm.

The Bruins really can’t afford to move for more win now assets as well. Yes they are in a “win now” mode - but some of their well rated prospects of the past haven’t went so smooth (like Studnicka, nothing against him or saying he’s bad, he just had a lot of excitement and it’s dwindled down a little. Not anyones fault). Lysell is more than just a good prospect too, he’s a great one to have with a great style of hockey the Bruins could use if he projects well and continues a upward swing. JT Miller in Boston would be awesome but the Bruins are “broke” in terms of expendable assets; as they’ll damage their future if they trade more assets, to a flat out stupid point that isn’t worth it.

Only way you move Lysell is for pieces of value and youth - which at the end of day; don’t exactly match the Bruins win now mode so it’s better to bet on Fabian then to trade him and have him on a ELC in a couple years helping with cap.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/status/1499143237109370881?t=4h7-b52UCl4lz7p2AvM9pQ&s=19

#Flames have acquired goaltender Michael McNiven from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for future considerations.

24 years old. 4-4-1 with AHL Laval with an 0.869 SV% this season. From Pat steinberg
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 2, 2022 at 5:14 p.m.
Farewell
Another terrific goal nobody is talking about-Mack gets it from Makar, one-touches it through the legs of Anders Lee, then wrists it past Sorokin. Beautiful goal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll