SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Colorado Avalanche

Soooooo where do the Avalanche go from here?

Apr. 15, 2017 at 8:16 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Personally, I don't think they should trade away any of MacKinnon, Duchene, or Landeskog. Sakic shouldn't really be dumping any of his most competent players. Trading them away may get you picks and prospects, but a) they're only probabilities, and b) those prospects, should they play in the NHL next year, need an actual support structure of competent veteran players to do well. Look at the Oilers over the last decade. If the Avalanche don't want to go through the pain and misery that the OIlers did, they won't trade away MacKinnon, Duchene, or Landeskog.

In addition to those three, there are some other good pieces to build around. Rantanen, Jost, Compher, and Johnson, Barrie, and Zadorov on the back end. (Although, dear god, if they lose Pickard in the expansion draft because Sakic's insistent on protecting Varlamov...) I think they need to knock this upcoming draft out of the park and maybe stay away from overpaying veterans in free agency, considering their salary situation.
Apr. 16, 2017 at 1:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think they should trade Duchene, but i don't think they'll get what they want for him. They apparently asked for Mikhail Sergachev, Alexander Galchenyuk, and a 1st round pick, when the Canadiens didn't even want to do Sergachev straight up for Duchene. So yeah, i think they could maybe get Soshnikov, Leivo, and a 2nd from Toronto, and that's good enough if you ask me. I wouldn't call him a superstar player. I think he's had a really bad year and has struggled in the last few years, and i don't see them getting Hamonic, Pulock, and a 1st. I see the Isles maybe giving up Mayfield, Pelech, and a 2nd or something like that, maybe a bit more than that. But really, i think they should go with Soshnikov, Leivo, and a 2nd from the Leafs.
Apr. 30, 2017 at 5:06 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
So, now that the draft lottery has come and gone, I would say that trading Duchene is less of a good idea than it used to be, especially since they're *not* getting either Patrick or Hischier to replace Duchene.

Now, a trade with the Canadiens that involves Galchenyuk could work out, I think. But trading Duchene away would definitely require somebody in Galchenyuk's position (center, ready to contribute in the NHL now, younger than Duchene).
Apr. 30, 2017 at 11:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
So, now that the draft lottery has come and gone, I would say that trading Duchene is less of a good idea than it used to be, especially since they're *not* getting either Patrick or Hischier to replace Duchene.

Now, a trade with the Canadiens that involves Galchenyuk could work out, I think. But trading Duchene away would definitely require somebody in Galchenyuk's position (center, ready to contribute in the NHL now, younger than Duchene).

I think MTL could likely get Duchene for Scherbak maybe ...
May 1, 2017 at 11:29 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid

I think MTL could likely get Duchene for Scherbak maybe ...
Who the Avalanche would eye in a prospective trade would depend on where Jost and Compher (and maybe A. J. Greer) slot in next year. I presume, at the very least, that Jost does start in the NHL, given that he jumped ship from the NCAA after his first year to do so. I don't know if any of the aforementioned players are being looked at as centers long-term in the NHL, though, which is why I mentioned Galchenyuk as a player that's a) nominally a center; b) a young-er player with a high ceiling; and c) sort of maybe on the outs in Montréal.
If Jost and/or Compher can play center, then, sure, the Avalanche don't have great options at RW, so Scherbak would help, but he doesn't seem the centerpiece of a Duchene trade.
May 2, 2017 at 10:14 a.m.
What's the goal/direction of Colorado? Are they looking to be a playoff team in 1 year, 3 years, 5 years. Are they looking to be a cup contender in 5 years? I mean this are the major questions when trying to figure out the right direction. Ultimately I think you need to move Duchene at minimum for the best package you can get. By the time Colorado is competitive again he'll be gone anyways, so you might as well start playing/building without him. 1st+prospect+young NHL player isn't a crazy asking price. Just keep in mind that you're either getting a really good prospect and good/average young NHL player or vice versa.

I wouldn't put to much in offense vs defense as COL needs both. The obvious trade that makes sense to me (as a B's fan) is Duchene for Hanifin.
May 2, 2017 at 5:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ON3M4N
What's the goal/direction of Colorado? Are they looking to be a playoff team in 1 year, 3 years, 5 years. Are they looking to be a cup contender in 5 years? I mean this are the major questions when trying to figure out the right direction. Ultimately I think you need to move Duchene at minimum for the best package you can get. By the time Colorado is competitive again he'll be gone anyways, so you might as well start playing/building without him. 1st+prospect+young NHL player isn't a crazy asking price. Just keep in mind that you're either getting a really good prospect and good/average young NHL player or vice versa.

I wouldn't put to much in offense vs defense as COL needs both. The obvious trade that makes sense to me (as a B's fan) is Duchene for Hanifin.

They're looking to never make the playoffs again, lol.
May 2, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think Colorado should sign Alzner. I think Colorado is actually the most likely place for Karl Alzner to end up.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll