SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Unrestricted Free Agent discussion

Should all UFAs hit the open market even if there are talks of resigning them?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 9, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.
Can someone pin the FA spreadsheet so we can keep going into it at later times without having to search for it in the threads. I already forgot where it was.
NateElder12 and Duster liked this.
Aug. 10, 2017 at 11:18 a.m.
Banned
How long are we going to drag out these signings? IMO it's done and all unsigned players should revert back to UFA where they can be bid on in the next round.
Aug. 10, 2017 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Can someone pin the FA spreadsheet so we can keep going into it at later times without having to search for it in the threads. I already forgot where it was.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14h13sdeGtiAGJOgGDqfabbbdsPchoFg3QL1qfClvPV4/edit#gid=515206597
NateElder12 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2017 at 11:27 a.m.
NateElder12
I don't even know how to find the guys that it's my decision on man. Relax.
phillyjabroni liked this.
Aug. 10, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: DirtyDangles
How long are we going to drag out these signings? IMO it's done and all unsigned players should revert back to UFA where they can be bid on in the next round.

Not fair to those in the back of the line waiting on players.
Next time we can have 24 hours in between passes to speed up the process.

I have to look into simplifying how to show information to GM's as well. People seem to have trouble because they can't recall their bids or aren't looking in the right places. I'll hopefully be able to use what I've seen to make the information necessary more concise and easier to find. I was learning as we went along and making additions based on needs as they arose in order to filter the information.
I should be able to make some improvements to the system and we can discuss improvements to the process as well if anyone has constructive feedback or ideas for improvement in how to manage things.
NateElder12 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:57 a.m.
Possible mixup?

I signed Casey Desmith in FA but Toronto traded for him before free agency. (He was already signed apparently)
Aug. 14, 2017 at 10:38 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: F50marco
Possible mixup?

I signed Casey Desmith in FA but Toronto traded for him before free agency. (He was already signed apparently)

Casey Desmith was unsigned by Pittsburgh until July 1st IRL.
Pittsburgh in game did not sign him as a player they owned the rights to ($900,250 contract) or submit him as an RFA signing (that I can find).
Therefore, he was indeed a free agent.

Pittsburgh does not seem to have had the right or ability to trade him, which makes him Florida's.
Toronto/Pittsburgh trade would need to be void/reversed/compensated.
Difficult to do in the middle of BOG elections with no current Penguins owner, so I would advise Toronto to submit this issue to the BOG once the members have been established.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:27 a.m.
Go Habs Go
UFA Wave 2 Discussion/Proposal
I'm seeking a more efficient and manageable method for these players, as the low contract values and unknowns make the tiebreakers impractical and time consuming.
The majority of these players will be bound for the minors, with some leftover NHL free agents included that may fill roster spots. UFA Budget will not be a factor. None of these signings will reach a salary that can't be fully buried. Think of these as tryouts and AHL signings that won't apply to your NHL cap unless they pass their tryouts.
Anyway, this is what I have come up with, and I want to make sure I've covered everything and this can work for our purposes before I set anything up.

1. GM's may submit unsigned and undrafted players from College/Domestic/International leagues. Players who were entered in our draft and appear on that list, are not eligible. (These players will be added to next season's draft class.)
2. GM's may put their name in for 5 players they would like to sign (this number could change depending on how many players make the final list).
3. The order for each selection will begin with the current waiver order (as modified by the 1st wave of free agency).
4. Selections will be made in a draft format by player. You may only select from among players you have listed your name for (targeted).

I will set up a sheet for a better illustration as soon as I get a chance. For now:
Let's say Colorado is at the top of the waiver order (I'm not, just for example).
I put my name in on 3 players.
I select "1st overall".

Player A: Colorado - Vegas - Minnesota
Player B: Colorado - Pittsburgh
Player C: Colorado

I can "draft" (sign), one of the players I am listed for.
I don't need to rush to select Player C, because I'm the only one listed for him.
I can choose from player A or B.
I select Player A.

Player A: Colorado (signed)
Player B: Colorado - Pittsburgh
Player C: Colorado
Player D: Pittsburgh - Montreal - Anaheim

Pittsburgh will be up before me. They might draft player B, or they might save him for later and select player D in the first round.
That would allow me to select player B in the 2nd round.
If Pittsburgh drafts player B, the only player left available for me in the 2nd round is player C.

This list will combine all of the remaining UFA's as well, but we will have set contract amounts for each round rather than bidding. The more desirable players selected early, will have a higher salary than those in later rounds. Most of these are players nobody wanted IRL and nobody wanted in game, or they are players that are desired but have proven nothing. The salaries will reflect that. I don't know how many rounds will be necessary, so I'm guesstimating 5 for now.

Round 1: $920,500
Round 2: $870,500
Round 3: $770,500
Round 4: $720,500
Round 5: $650,500

Players selected in the first 2 rounds may be signed for 1 or 2 years. All other players will be a 1 year contract.
SmallTownHero14 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:45 a.m.
We should follow the ELC rules for those playes. For example, if Spencer Foo were to be *drafted by the highest waiver priority team (Arizona), they must sign him to an ELC that he falls under.

2 years x 925,000 was Foo's ELC because he was 23 years old when he signed, therefore, he must sign to a 2 year deal

*edit
Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:59 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: phillyjabroni
We should follow the ELC rules for those playes. For example, if Spencer Foo were to be *drafted by the highest waiver priority team (Arizona), they must sign him to an ELC that he falls under.

2 years x 925,000 was Foo's ELC because he was 23 years old when he signed, therefore, he must sign to a 2 year deal

*edit

I don't disagree if someone wants to do the legwork to age all the players. Sticking Out Tongue
I thought it would just be simpler to put blanket term restrictions.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii

*edit

I don't disagree if someone wants to do the legwork to age all the players. Sticking Out Tongue
I thought it would just be simpler to put blanket term restrictions.

Teams that tell the BOG the players they want must also supply the age to said player.
The BOG can post the ELC rules with those in NCAA/CHL/INT'L at a later time in the draft.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 3:45 p.m.
I think that we're really over-complicating all this. I feel it could be a lot simpler without all these numbers thrown out there.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 6:37 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
I think that we're really over-complicating all this. I feel it could be a lot simpler without all these numbers thrown out there.

Which numbers?

The limit to how many players you can put your name in for, is to make it simpler and faster. Pick a handful of players your really want. Once those players are gone, you're no longer involved in the process. Once all 31 teams are out, we're done. Rather than have 100 players that nobody really wants holding up the process, one team putting their name in for every player and picking up 50 guys, and it avoids implementing something like an "AHL" salary cap/UFA budget.

The salaries are just arbitrary to avoid the need for actual bidding. As I said, many of these are players that simply nobody wanted and will take the first offer they can get, or are on an ELC, where there are limits to the salary and term anyway.

Age is necessary to determine the length of ELC a player is allowed to sign.

Those are the only numbers involved, but the only number involved in the actual process, is how many players you are allowed to make an attempt at.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.

Which numbers?

The limit to how many players you can put your name in for, is to make it simpler and faster. Pick a handful of players your really want. Once those players are gone, you're no longer involved in the process. Once all 31 teams are out, we're done. Rather than have 100 players that nobody really wants holding up the process, one team putting their name in for every player and picking up 50 guys, and it avoids implementing something like an "AHL" salary cap/UFA budget.

The salaries are just arbitrary to avoid the need for actual bidding. As I said, many of these are players that simply nobody wanted and will take the first offer they can get, or are on an ELC, where there are limits to the salary and term anyway.

Those are the only numbers involved, but the only number involved in the actual process, is how many players you are allowed to make an attempt at.

When you put it like that then its all good haha
ricochetii liked this.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 7:55 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Which numbers?

When you put it like that then its all good haha

Don't hesitate next time just because you're good with it this time. I have to try really hard to keep things simple and it helps to have someone watch my back in that regard. smile
Bo53Horvat liked this.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.
NateElder12

Which numbers?

Not really sure what #1 means. If players were drafted it makes sense they can't be signed by someone else right?

And just to make sure you're only allowed to pick 5 players? And if all 5 are taken over you because of waiver priority what happens?

Also, I agree players should be mandated to age rules and max cap. But you can submit any salary you want as long as the years conform to the IRL rules.

Lastly, I'm still confused how this list works. We submit names to be added to a public list or the submitted names are the only ones were allowed to sign?
Aug. 18, 2017 at 8:19 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: NateElder12

Which numbers?

Not really sure what #1 means. If players were drafted it makes sense they can't be signed by someone else right?

And just to make sure you're only allowed to pick 5 players? And if all 5 are taken over you because of waiver priority what happens?

Also, I agree players should be mandated to age rules and max cap. But you can submit any salary you want as long as the years conform to the IRL rules.

Lastly, I'm still confused how this list works. We submit names to be added to a public list or the submitted names are the only ones were allowed to sign?

Some of this will be made clear once I have the chance to create a setup for viewing.

1. GM's may submit unsigned and undrafted players from College/Domestic/International leagues. Players who were entered in our draft and appear on that list, but were not drafted in the GM game, are not eligible. (These players will be added to next season's draft class.)

Is this what you mean? I added the bolded part. Does that clarify it?

I put 5 players as a placeholder number/estimate. I don't know how many players will be on the list in total.
Waiver priority would become more of a "draft" order. If you happen to be 31st in the order, and all 5 of your preferences are among the first 30 players signed, you'd be out of luck.
I don't know the odds of that occurring, but if you are at the back end of the order and targeting a player who will definitely be selected earlier, that would probably not be wise.
GM's that do the research will have a better idea of who will be picked up earlier and who will be available to them. You can take a risk and try for a guy you have a low probability of getting, or you can be safe and go after someone you have a good chance at. There's some incentive to do your own digging and find your own "gems".
Aug. 18, 2017 at 8:56 p.m.
NateElder12

Some of this will be made clear once I have the chance to create a setup for viewing.

1. GM's may submit unsigned and undrafted players from College/Domestic/International leagues. Players who were entered in our draft and appear on that list, but were not drafted in the GM game, are not eligible. (These players will be added to next season's draft class.)

Is this what you mean? I added the bolded part. Does that clarify it?

I put 5 players as a placeholder number/estimate. I don't know how many players will be on the list in total.
Waiver priority would become more of a "draft" order. If you happen to be 31st in the order, and all 5 of your preferences are among the first 30 players signed, you'd be out of luck.
I don't know the odds of that occurring, but if you are at the back end of the order and targeting a player who will definitely be selected earlier, that would probably not be wise.
GM's that do the research will have a better idea of who will be picked up earlier and who will be available to them. You can take a risk and try for a guy you have a low probability of getting, or you can be safe and go after someone you have a good chance at. There's some incentive to do your own digging and find your own "gems".

Yeah I can see that own research would help but the system seems like it's just a handful of people making a list and then everyone else looking them up and bidding. Idk. We can do whatever you guys want but I'm not a big fan of this setup but oh well - majority rules. Lastly, why are undrafted players ineligible if they weren't drafted in the game. They'd be eligible IRL. And just a quick look we'd be adding like 50-100 players back into the draft class next year - seems like a lot
Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:00 p.m.
The BOG ruled that teams must be bind to the non-NHL player list that they provide to the BOG via offline submission. This insures that GMs who are knowledgeable about NCAA or whatever FAs don't get screwed when a GM just bids on them because they suddenly realized that they are a good commodity to have on their roster.

The only players that are available to be signed in the non-NHL FA period are players that FAs IRL. Players that are UDFAs in the GM Game are not eligible for Free Agency, otherwise pick inflation would happen. Multiple 2nd round picks IRL were not drafted in the GM Game. No team should be able to simply invoke waiver priority to get a "free" second round pick.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:15 p.m.
NateElder12
The BOG ruled that teams must be bind to the non-NHL player list that they provide to the BOG via offline submission. This insures that GMs who are knowledgeable about NCAA or whatever FAs don't get screwed when a GM just bids on them because they suddenly realized that they are a good commodity to have on their roster.

The only players that are available to be signed in the non-NHL FA period are players that FAs IRL. Players that are UDFAs in the GM Game are not eligible for Free Agency, otherwise pick inflation would happen. Multiple 2nd round picks IRL were not drafted in the GM Game. No team should be able to simply invoke waiver priority to get a "free" second round pick.

Yeah but that just pushes pick inflation back a whole year. Then people will get to see one full season of in game udfas and be able to use a pick on a guy that already has professional statistics. That's ridiculous too. The point of signing udfas is to make up for picks lost. The nyr have done this for year from trading away first round picks for playoff runs. Then they sign as many udfas as possible to make up for their loss of picks.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:53 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Yeah I can see that own research would help but the system seems like it's just a handful of people making a list and then everyone else looking them up and bidding. Idk. We can do whatever you guys want but I'm not a big fan of this setup but oh well - majority rules. Lastly, why are undrafted players ineligible if they weren't drafted in the game. They'd be eligible IRL. And just a quick look we'd be adding like 50-100 players back into the draft class next year - seems like a lot

Every GM will be able to add players to the list. Putting a player on the list and having someone else look them up and decide they like them might happen, but I don't see an issue with it. You might not like if you put a name on the list and someone else picks them, but let's not pretend that these are "hidden gems" that only one GM knows about. NHL teams have an entire department devoted to knowing, identifying, researching, and scouting, every hockey player on the face of the planet. Anyone with access to a computer is capable of finding the names of these players online.

We had a few discussions about drafted/undrafted between game/IRL players already. There are two "fair" ways to distribute them. One, teams with players who went undrafted IRL turn them back in and then draft from the players our GM's missed. Two, we put them into the next draft pool where everyone has a fair shot and will have to decide between a 2017 or a 2018 player. The second option seemed to be best and gives teams the opportunity to evaluate and jockey for position if they are interested in those players.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 10:01 p.m.
Rico, we already voted, and you voted in favor, of having teams submit a list of non-NHL players and being bound to only signing players to that list
Aug. 18, 2017 at 10:35 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Rico, we already voted, and you voted in favor, of having teams submit a list of non-NHL players and being bound to only signing players to that list

Bit of a mix-up. I'll have to go over things again.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.
Go Habs Go
List of all remaining unsigned UFA's from the first round. (As usual, if you notice an error, please inform me here. Shouldn't be any.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14h13sdeGtiAGJOgGDqfabbbdsPchoFg3QL1qfClvPV4/edit?usp=sharing

Working on a plan for the rest.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.
List of all remaining unsigned UFA's from the first round. (As usual, if you notice an error, please inform me here. Shouldn't be any.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14h13sdeGtiAGJOgGDqfabbbdsPchoFg3QL1qfClvPV4/edit?usp=sharing

Working on a plan for the rest.

Looks good Rico, thanks a ton, although at the top of the first column, it says 'Unsigned RFA's". Shouldn't it be UFA's?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit