SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #18

Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
I don't think we can call this a peak. It could very well be a one year outburst that can deflate in a year.

Huh. Reminds me of Campbell a bit.

also tough because hes only got 40 games in the nhl. i dont think he will command a massive salary long term. maybe something like what jarry got? little over 3m maybe 3.5 for a couple years.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: hanson493
theres a literal war going on. they are discriminating themselves by attacking ukraine. eye for an eye. oh well russian players...

This makes sense ONLY when talking about tournaments such as the WJC or the Olympics, where the players are LITERALLY REPRESENTING THE COUNTRY OF RUSSIA.

But when the players just happen to be Russian, it's completely unfair to suspend them based on their nationality-Kucherov, Ovi, Kaprizov, Vasi, and many others aren't representing Russia when they play hockey, they're representing the Lightning, Caps, Wild, etc. I'm fine with banning TEAM RUSSIA from tournaments and the like, but don't ban the players just because they're Russian. That's actual discrimination.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
What in tarnation
also tough because hes only got 40 games in the nhl. i dont think he will command a massive salary long term. maybe something like what jarry got? little over 3m maybe 3.5 for a couple years.

We'll it's very dependent on whether he hits the free agency. But if he does there's going to be a plenty of interested teams.
capsfan2121 liked this.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This makes sense ONLY when talking about tournaments such as the WJC or the Olympics, where the players are LITERALLY REPRESENTING THE COUNTRY OF RUSSIA.

But when the players just happen to be Russian, it's completely unfair to suspend them based on their nationality-Kucherov, Ovi, Kaprizov, Vasi, and many others aren't representing Russia when they play hockey, they're representing the Lightning, Caps, Wild, etc. I'm fine with banning TEAM RUSSIA from tournaments and the like, but don't ban the players just because they're Russian. That's actual discrimination.

Yep, exactly, Russian players don't represent Russia in the NHL and banning them from the NHL doesn't do much to affect Russia in any way

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Yep, exactly, Russian players don't represent Russia in the NHL and banning them from the NHL doesn't do much to affect Russia in any way

I think the whole point of banning people is to hurt russia's ego.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
@ArizonaFan is Chychrun a good RD?
capsfan2121 liked this.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I think the whole point of banning people is to hurt russia's ego.

Doing that when they represent Russia makes sense but you're not really hurting Russian morale when you're banning them from the NHL
capsfan2121 liked this.
What in tarnation
ArizonaFan is Chychrun a good RD?

Lmao there's no such a thing as Arizona fan

Even the site didn't recognize one.
DucharmetheDOMinator, capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
SHL NJD GM
ArizonaFan is Chychrun a good RD?

? Chychrun's a LD, also don't think there's any AZ fans on here lol
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.

I can see the United States as a governing body, if this war gets any worse, banning entrance to the U.S. for Russian citizens. Which means unless kuch/ovi/kaprizov/vasi have dual citizenship they cant come either.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
ConservativeLightningFan91 What a name. Rip
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I think Mrazek will be moved next offseason, either to NJ or ARI. Both of these teams have cap space and need goalies.

Leafs are probably bringing in a completely new tandem for next year, most likely consisting of UFA goalies.

Watch them rocking a Holtby-Lankinen tandem next year lol.

Could not agree more, IMO they will have a completely different goalie duo next year. Have to think Mrazek has both BUF/ARI on his NTC (moving could be hard).

Like it’s ridiculous because they're 5th in pts%, 3rd in regulation wins, 6th in goal differential, 1st in PP%, 5th in PK%, 4th in CF%, 3rd in SCF%, and it still feels like they're doomed because the goalies have cratered.

How they are winning getting this type of goaltending and apparently having a brutal Dcore boggles the mind.

FNiA63fWUB0-Tf-?format=png&name=900x900
capsfan2121, justaBoss, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:32 p.m.
We'll it's very dependent on whether he hits the free agency. But if he does there's going to be a plenty of interested teams.

i dont think st louis can afford letting that happen unless they find a stop gap guy and hope binner returns to form a little more. i like colten ellis in their system.
What in tarnation
Doing that when they represent Russia makes sense but you're not really hurting Russian morale when you're banning them from the NHL

I think it's a double edged sword.

Let's say NHL just banned Russian players outright.

On one hand, the level in KHL would have a massive uprising.

On the other hand, Russia would lose its biggest "ambassadors" and representatives around the world.

If Putin truly wants to close out that nation from the rest of the world, he'd probably benefit from having all them banned. But I don't think that's realistic.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Could not agree more, IMO they will have a completely different goalie duo next year. Have to think Mrazek has both BUF/ARI on his NTC (moving could be hard).

Like it’s ridiculous because they're 5th in pts%, 3rd in regulation wins, 6th in goal differential, 1st in PP%, 5th in PK%, 4th in CF%, 3rd in SCF%, and it still feels like they're doomed because the goalies have cratered.

How they are winning getting this type of goaltending and apparently having a brutal Dcore boggles the mind.

this is what happens when you allocate too much to the forward group.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

Dos the leafs goaltending have to do with the goalie coach. Also yes I’m liking everything from the first page of this season
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
Lmao there's no such a thing as Arizona fan

Even the site didn't recognize one.

? Chychrun's a LD, also don't think there's any AZ fans on here lol

The @ArizonaFan was supposed to be a joke.

The Chychrun playing RD was not. He is listed as a LD/RD on CapFriendly and if he's available the sabres should splurge. Him and Dahlin top pair would be amazing if he actually can play RD.
justaBoss and capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
What in tarnation

Because they fundamentally play a hockey where it doesn't matter how many goals you let past, but how many goals you scored. It works during regular season, and it could be entertaining to watch (until you melt completely against scrubs). But that pretty much never works in playoffs.

I fully expect TB to clean sweep them should they face in the first round.
capsfan2121 and hanson493 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
The ArizonaFan was supposed to be a joke.

The Chychrun playing RD was not. He is listed as a LD/RD on CapFriendly and if he's available the sabres should splurge. Him and Dahlin top pair would be amazing if he actually can play RD.

I noticed that CF recently gave a bunch of players dual defense position
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
I think it's a double edged sword.

Let's say NHL just banned Russian players outright.

On one hand, the level in KHL would have a massive uprising.

On the other hand, Russia would lose its biggest "ambassadors" and representatives around the world.

If Putin truly wants to close out that nation from the rest of the world, he'd probably benefit from having all them banned. But I don't think that's realistic.

KHL might have a solid uprising for a few but they cant pay anything... it would cost any russian team 931M rubles to equate to a 7m usd contract right now...

CSKA Moscow:12.8 million dollars
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl:12.8 million dollars
SKA St. Petersburg: 12.6 million dollars
Dynamo Moscow: 11 million dollars
Jokerit Helsinki: 10.2 million dollars
Spartak Moscow: 8 million dollars
Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod: 6.8 million dollars
Dinamo Minsk: 6 million dollars
Vitjaz Podolsk: 5.8 million dollars
Severstal Cherepovets: 4.5 million dollars
HK Sochi: 4.5 million dollars
Dinamo Riga: 4 million dollars

as of october 2021 where i got these numbers the league salary cap was 900m rubles. which they said was about 12.8m dollars. that amount is now almost worth HALF of what it was 6 months ago.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I can't find where the conversation started but re: banning Russian players from playing:

The entire point of doing so isn't to dunk on Putin or damage Russian pride. It's to keep US dollars from circulating in Russia now that the Ruble isn't worth the five letters its spelt with. Vladimir Putin is so deeply entrenched in the Russian financial system that the bank accounts of those NHL players of Russian descent may be or outright are accessible via the Kremlin.

I wholly believe that it's a very inappropriate way of doing business but there's no real workaround to the problem. If the goal of the global congress is to force Russia into submission via a financial stranglehold, there is no other solution. Perhaps team owners can set aside "emergency accounts" in which the players could still collect and access their money owed from whatever date in the season but I tend to find billionaires untrustworthy and the option of directly wiring funds back home to families still remains a potential issue. Nothing about this premise is fun.
capsfan2121, justaBoss, hanson493 and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
KHL might have a solid uprising for a few but they cant pay anything... it would cost any russian team 931M rubles to equate to a 7m usd contract right now...

CSKA Moscow:12.8 million dollars
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl:12.8 million dollars
SKA St. Petersburg: 12.6 million dollars
Dynamo Moscow: 11 million dollars
Jokerit Helsinki: 10.2 million dollars
Spartak Moscow: 8 million dollars
Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod: 6.8 million dollars
Dinamo Minsk: 6 million dollars
Vitjaz Podolsk: 5.8 million dollars
Severstal Cherepovets: 4.5 million dollars
HK Sochi: 4.5 million dollars
Dinamo Riga: 4 million dollars

as of october 2021 where i got these numbers the league salary cap was 900m rubles. which they said was about 12.8m dollars. that amount is now almost worth HALF of what it was 6 months ago.

Well to be fair it wouldn't be about money, per se. But the fact they wouldn't be allowed to play anywhere else. That's why this scenario is only happening if they actually got banned

Also a sad fact from a Finnish person: Jokerit Helsinki is done. They won't be playing anywhere for a while.
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
ConservativeLightningFan91 What a name. Rip

He’s a republican, likes the lighting, and Steven stamkos.

whywaste-time-say-lot-word-when-few-word-do-trick-39162922.png
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Well to be fair it wouldn't be about money, per se. But the fact they wouldn't be allowed to play anywhere else. That's why this scenario is only happening if they actually got banned

i mean it wouldnt but it would be at the same time dont you think? do you know how fast guys that are just getting their paychecks in the league would try and put a stop to the war or denounce their russian citizenship in order to continue playing here? kaprizov gunna make pennies there compared to over here if he was banned.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Because they fundamentally play a hockey where it doesn't matter how many goals you let past, but how many goals you scored. It works during regular season, and it could be entertaining to watch (until you melt completely against scrubs). But that pretty much never works in playoffs.

I fully expect TB to clean sweep them should they face in the first round.

That's why I still feel like they should just double down and get another impact forward. Just own who you are, a run a gun team. Fukc it, out score teams, make 6-5.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll