Forums/Armchair-GM

Based on latest rumor Leafs

Created by: ChiHawk
Team: 2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 8, 2022
Published: Mar. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Due to Campbell not playing well since Jan 1st, apparently the Leafs are rumored to be talking to Chicago about Flowers and Hagel. It's going to take a haul to get them both, but I'd imagine this proposal can get Chicago to listen.
Trades
CHI
  1. Mrázek, Petr
  2. Robertson, Nicholas
  3. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Fleury, Marc-André ($3,500,000 retained)
  2. Hagel, Brandon
CHI
  1. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Mrázek, Petr ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
If the Leafs trade were to happen, hopefully Chicago can flip Mrazek at the TDL or in the offseason
CHI
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (STL)
CHI
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Doesn't have to be Carolina but Hawks looking for a 2nd for Kubs
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$81,500,000$56,778,381$452,439$2,565,000$24,721,619
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 1
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833
RW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
If the Canes can get some retention on Kubalik, Canes accept. Mind you, they probably accept regardless. For the Toronto trade, I am pretty sure Flower would block a trade to Toronto with his NTC, and Mrazek might block a trade to Chicago, and absolutely block a trade to Edmonton. Plus, I’m pretty sure Toronto would have to pay a bit more for this trade to go down, and hope like he’ll that neither goalie blocks the trade with their NTC’s.

Why would Flowers block a trade to Toronto, because he's from Montreal? I get it if Montreal was in the playoff race, but outside of that, I doubt Flowers would block a trade.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Quoting: exo2769
He's awful. I've been stating for months now that he's consistently inconsistent. What that truly means though... at some point ... who knows when ... He'll get hot. Maybe the Hawks could move him then? Otherwise taking on cap dumps is what rebuilding teams need to do unfortunately.

Mrazek only sucks behind a shoddy defence, like Detroit and Toronto. He excelled in Carolina because Carolina has one of, if not the best dcore in the league. Plus, Mrazek wouldn’t perform well in Edmonton with the dcore they have.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
I’m just wondering… did this rumor come from the Mario Tirabassi (if that’s incorrect I’m sure you know who I mean) tweet about the podcast? I listened to that part of the podcast and I’m not sure I would call MAF + Hagel a rumor exactly. It was more like engaging a leafs fan on a potential what if… not saying anything concrete was talked about between to two teams outside of the initial Hagel report.

As for this trade, I’m not doing it because I feel like Toronto is not going to pay this price even though it’s debatably in the fair-underpay range.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: Byrr
Where are these rumors coming from? This should be funny.

Frank Servalli mentioned the Flowers rumors given the Leafs goaltending has fallen off a cliff and the Leafs management can not afford to lose in the first series again for a 6th consecutive year.

Given knowing that the Leafs have already talked to Chicago about Hagel, he's speculating a deal with both Flowers and Hagel is on the table.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
I’m just wondering… did this rumor come from the Mario Tirabassi (if that’s incorrect I’m sure you know who I mean) tweet about the podcast? I listened to that part of the podcast and I’m not sure I would call MAF + Hagel a rumor exactly. It was more like engaging a leafs fan on a potential what if… not saying anything concrete was talked about between to two teams outside of the initial Hagel report.

As for this trade, I’m not doing it because I feel like Toronto is not going to pay this price even though it’s debatably in the fair-underpay range.

Frank Seravalli yesterday
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Mrazek only sucks behind a shoddy defence, like Detroit and Toronto. He excelled in Carolina because Carolina has one of, if not the best dcore in the league.

Well to that point, any goalie would have looked a couple steps better behind Carolina's defense which at that time was the best in the league. Toronto is ranked in the top half defensively so around average or slightly above at least to the pressure a goalie is under with the Leafs. Arizona, Chicago, Detroit, etc. are bad defenses and will make a great goalie look average (flowers).
evelutions2 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:20 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Frank Servalli mentioned the Flowers rumors given the Leafs goaltending has fallen off a cliff and the Leafs management can not afford to lose in the first series again for a 6th consecutive year.

Given knowing that the Leafs have already talked to Chicago about Hagel, he's speculating a deal with both Flowers and Hagel is on the table.

So this isn't a rumor of a deal thats been offered like you present it, its speculation.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Why would Flowers block a trade to Toronto, because he's from Montreal? I get it if Montreal was in the playoff race, but outside of that, I doubt Flowers would block a trade.

He could very well end up in Toronto, but the reason I think he would block a trade there would be that he doesn’t think that they can go far. I am pretty sure I saw a report somewhere that Flower wouldn’t want to go to Washington, it that might have just been a rumor, so grain of salt there. But given that Flower is in the latter stages of his career, with this year possibly being his last, I am pretty sure if he gets traded, it will be to a contender that he believes has a really good chance at winning the cup. Teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Florida, and Minnesota are all teams that are missing at least one piece that would make them a true contender. Toronto and Edmonton are missing more pieces than the others, and I would be willing to bet that Flower wouldn’t want to go to teams like those as he probably doesn’t think that they will go that far this year.
ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
exo2769
Where are these rumors coming from? This should be funny.

Frank Seravalli
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
He could very well end up in Toronto, but the reason I think he would block a trade there would be that he doesn’t think that they can go far. I am pretty sure I saw a report somewhere that Flower wouldn’t want to go to Washington, it that might have just been a rumor, so grain of salt there. But given that Flower is in the latter stages of his career, with this year possibly being his last, I am pretty sure if he gets traded, it will be to a contender that he believes has a really good chance at winning the cup. Teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Florida, and Minnesota are all teams that are missing at least one piece that would make them a true contender. Toronto and Edmonton are missing more pieces than the others, and I would be willing to bet that Flower wouldn’t want to go to teams like those as he probably doesn’t think that they will go that far this year.

Yeah, that makes sense although I'd argue Florida will be okay. It will be absolutely funny if the Leafs break their NHL record of 5 consecutive first series postseason losses and make it 6! That is more painful then missing the postseason IMO.
evelutions2 liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Frank Seravalli yesterday

From the podcast? Or somewhere else?
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:27 a.m.
exo2769
Mrazek only sucks behind a shoddy defence, like Detroit and Toronto. He excelled in Carolina because Carolina has one of, if not the best dcore in the league. Plus, Mrazek wouldn’t perform well in Edmonton with the dcore they have.

I watch CAR and I disagree with you VERY much. Do you like Freddie? Thats a real goalie behind a real defense. Best defense in the NHL imo. At the very least top 3. Mrazek behind that outstanding defense was very mediocre. With the Hawks he'll be horrendous. Just like he is with TOR.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
Frank Seravalli

Ya, he was speculating on what a deal could look like not that its been talked about/offered. You guys are completely misrepresenting this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
exo2769
Ya, he was speculating on what a deal could look like not that its been talked about/offered. You guys are completely misrepresenting this.

I never said it was an actual offer. IN FACT, I admitted it's just Frank's churn mill for clicks earlier in this post. Tweet below word for word. The Hagel portion of what it would cost...also Frank (he's doing a lot of talking...kinda what he gets paid to do) is from his podcast.

@frank_seravalli - TOR & CHI could be a trade match for Fleury. Could have a 3rd team in the deal to offset more of Fleury's deal with CHI retaining 50% (3.5M). TOR could send Mrazek to CHI in a trade, plus top prospect(s) & top-end pick(s)

Frank's Podcast
Scoop: If you’re looking for this year’s version of a Blake Coleman or Barclay Goodrow addition, look no further than Hagel, who has generated significant interest in Chicago. Provided that the Blackhawks’ high price is met, he’s a good bet to move (subject, of course, to the opinion of Chicago’s next GM). At least four teams are known to have engaged in conversation on Hagel: Florida, Toronto, New Jersey and Calgary. The Flames likely moved on to Toffoli; the Maple Leafs are focused on defense. But Hagel’s contract and cost certainty is making teams drool. He is in first-round pick plus top prospect territory, which is understandable given the contract, his production and style of play.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
I watch CAR and I disagree with you VERY much. Do you like Freddie? Thats a real goalie behind a real defense. Best defense in the NHL imo. At the very least top 3. Mrazek behind that outstanding defense was very mediocre. With the Hawks he'll be horrendous. Just like he is with TOR.

Mrazek was never a world beater, and I never implied that. Freddie is a whole different beast. But getting back to Mrazek, he was really good when he first brought him in as a reclamation project, but in the later stages in his time in Carolina, he was passed by Ned and Reimer, mainly due to injuries, but also because of his play. Mrazek is a starter, but he needs an elite dcore in front of him, or else his above average play in Carolina, turns into below average play for teams that don’t have a competent dcore. That was the main reason the Canes changed up the entirety of their goaltending.
exo2769 and ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 11:47 a.m.
exo2769
Mrazek was never a world beater, and I never implied that. Freddie is a whole different beast. But getting back to Mrazek, he was really good when he first brought him in as a reclamation project, but in the later stages in his time in Carolina, he was passed by Ned and Reimer, mainly due to injuries, but also because of his play. Mrazek is a starter, but he needs an elite dcore in front of him, or else his above average play in Carolina, turns into below average play for teams that don’t have a competent dcore. That was the main reason the Canes changed up the entirety of their goaltending.

I 100% agree with this. I was in the camp that Waddell should have traded for Lehner at the TDL even if it meant Bean and the 1st. Hindsight is always interesting because the 1st was indeed traded and Bean is gone so it really wasn't that big of an ask, BUT CAR ended up in a better spot for this year because Freddie was willing to take a "bounce back" deal. We'll see how it plays out going forward. I hope CAR see this opportunity to win now and isn't holding back. Other teams are trading away picks/prospect to win it all and it's kinda what it takes to win the cup.
evelutions2 and ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
From the podcast? Or somewhere else?

I saw it on yahoo's NHL coverage but he tweeted some stuff and just a repost in yahoo
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Yeah, Canes probably take that
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.

Mrazek was spectacular when the Canes didn't have Hamilton, didn't have Pesce, didn't have Vatanen, and had a top pairing Haydn Fleury WHO WAS EXPOSED IN THE EXPANSION DRAFT. Your opinion on him is warped. I don't know why you've got these views on Mrazek, but he was very good as a Hurricane. Playing behind top defenses can be difficult.

Also, Carolina's defense gives up the best quality chances in the NHL from an analytical standpoint this year. They're good at suppressing, but there's a lot of issues defensively still.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
Mrazek was spectacular when the Canes didn't have Hamilton, didn't have Pesce, didn't have Vatanen, and had a top pairing Haydn Fleury WHO WAS EXPOSED IN THE EXPANSION DRAFT. Your opinion on him is warped. I don't know why you've got these views on Mrazek, but he was very good as a Hurricane. Playing behind top defenses can be difficult.

Also, Carolina's defense gives up the best quality chances in the NHL from an analytical standpoint this year. They're good at suppressing, but there's a lot of issues defensively still.

My man, We're at the point where I truly think you hunt me down to take the opposite opinion and then just make stuff up, like suggesting CAR's defense gives up the best quality chances in the NHL. CAR is 15th on High Danger chances allowed. They're not last. AND Freddie is still saving them! You're completely missing the point. Freddie is still a .928 SV%. Mrazek couldn't do that if his life depended on it! Of course no defense is perfect. But what you're stating is just proving how bad Mrazek was/is.

It really is this easy. TOR and CAR swapped goalies. How's it working out? That it's. It REALLY is that easy.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2022.html
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Jesus dude. I think I just need to block you somehow. We're at the point where I truly think you hunt me down to take the opposite opinion and then just make stuff up, like suggesting CAR's defense gives up the best quality chances in the NHL. CAR is 15th on High Danger chances allowed. They're not last. AND Freddie is still saving them! You're completely missing the point. Freddie is still a .928 SV%. Mrazek couldn't do that if his life depended on it! Of course no defense is perfect. But what you're stating is just proving how bad Mrazek was/is.

It really is this easy. TOR and CAR swapped goalies. How's it working out? That it's. It REALLY is that easy.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2022.html

Carolina has the worst xGA as a team in hockey. Andersen's just been incredible.

Block me if you want. It doesn't change the fact you have this blind hate for Mrazek which is completely unjustified. Is he as good as Freddie? No... but Freddie is a Vezina candidate right now. Andrei Vasilevskiy isn't as good as Freddie right now. You're comparing Mrazek on a low and Freddie on a high. Mrazek is a capable starter when you have a genuine goalie in front of him.

TOR and CAR swapped BACKUP goalies. Remember, at the end of last year, both of them were backups.... it REALLY isn't that easy.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
exo2769
Carolina has the worst xGA as a team in hockey. Andersen's just been incredible.

Block me if you want. It doesn't change the fact you have this blind hate for Mrazek which is completely unjustified. Is he as good as Freddie? No... but Freddie is a Vezina candidate right now. Andrei Vasilevskiy isn't as good as Freddie right now. You're comparing Mrazek on a low and Freddie on a high. Mrazek is a capable starter when you have a genuine goalie in front of him.

TOR and CAR swapped BACKUP goalies. Remember, at the end of last year, both of them were backups.... it REALLY isn't that easy.

It's not a blind hate and blocking you is a bit much. I edited that. I actually like the conversation. He's a backup worth $2M per year. That's it. Period end of story. If he was signed for $1.5M I'd say yeah, go do it. There could be some potential upside on a bounce back deal for him. That's not what his situation is though. His injury history has gotten worse...his play in net has gotten worse...and his contract got higher. If I say he's overrated that doesn't mean bad, but he's legit bad right now and was overrated with the Canes.

You agree Freddie is really good. He's getting a career year because A.) it's a prove it contract and B.) he has a good defense in front of him. There are other goalies out there that are at least the caliber of Freddie Anderson. Why should any team settle for a VERY CLEAR decrease in caliber when there are guys of Freddie's talents out there?
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
we miss leo k

Just wanted to focus on this point, I think the reason Mrazek's value is being questioned is because he's basically a backup at this point in his career (mayyyybe a 1B on a lottery team) who got a starter's contract. In the Chicago trade here, he doesn't add much value for the Hawks besides being a warm body to share the crease with Lankinen, while Toronto benefits from getting 2 more years @ $3.8M getting off their books. He's also going to be hard to dump on a team like Arizona because his contract is backloaded on actual salary ($2.8/4.2/4.4M is the 3 year breakdown on his actual dollars)
ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
I saw it on yahoo's NHL coverage but he tweeted some stuff and just a repost in yahoo

Okay, thanks for the info.
ChiHawk liked this.
Mar. 8, 2022 at 1:06 p.m.
It's not a blind hate and blocking you is a bit much. I edited that. I actually like the conversation. He's a backup worth $2M per year. That's it. Period end of story. If he was signed for $1.5M I'd say yeah, go do it. There could be some potential upside on a bounce back deal for him. That's not what his situation is though. His injury history has gotten worse...his play in net has gotten worse...and his contract got higher. If I say he's overrated that doesn't mean bad, but he's legit bad right now and was overrated with the Canes.

You agree Freddie is really good. He's getting a career year because A.) it's a prove it contract and B.) he has a good defense in front of him. There are other goalies out there that are at least the caliber of Freddie Anderson. Why should any team settle for a VERY CLEAR decrease in caliber when there are guys of Freddie's talents out there?

I'd argue Mrazek is of Freddie's talents. But it has to be the right situation. Mrazek has to play consistently, and he's not gotten that in Toronto. Be it either through Campbell being hot or injury, he needs that consistency and hasn't had it in Toronto. He's better suited to being a 1A and likely isn't a genuine starter. Fair enough. HOWEVER, that 2018-19 run after December where Mrazek became white hot and the Canes emerged as a team that could beat the brakes off anyone. He was straight up better than Freddie for almost that entire season. The year after (COVID Pause) Mrazek was fantastic until his injury in the Ayres game. Freddie again had his struggles. Last year, Mrazek was a .930 something (yes in a small sample size). Freddie was below .900.

Comparing them right now when Mrazek is in a new situation with a team that spends 50% of it's payroll on 4 forwards is rough. There's no defensive support for Mrazek. Andersen has a point to prove with proving the leafs wrong for letting him go, proving the Canes write for drafting hm, and bringing him back etc etc. They're in very different situations.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll