Forums/Armchair-GM

Two Big Trades. May or May Not be realistic. You Decide

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2017-18 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2017
Published: Apr. 19, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
You have to give talent in order to get talent and the Hawks aren't just 1 player away. They need to support their top end talent like Toews a little better than they have so far. Keep in mind that Kane's biggest beef years ago was a lack of #2C. We still have Anisimov and Duch can also play C in needed. Oh by the way, Anisimov is a LWer too. Trial and error for the best fit.

I'm not a huge Calgary fan and admittedly don't follow them game by game, but it HAS to be frustrating to see a 3 goal lead disappear in a must win game. Crow had 1 bad game so far in these playoffs, but the other two were good and oh he's won 2 cups so he knows what playoff hockey is like.

I've followed enough of the Aves/Duchene issues to know that Sakic would probably prefer to trade Duchene for the right price. A 2x Top 10 scorer...I'm not sure it gets much better. Hawks are cap strapped so part of that trade required taking on salary. I don't want to over bias my own team in CHI so I just put in a 3rd rounder. Please comment on too much or too little, but provide support...please.

OK, so now the Hawks have $5M to spend. Even with the bonuses applied. There are a lot of options for $5M. Heck, could you see Joe Thornton coming to Chicago to be Kane's #2C for a year? Maybe Alzner on the back end?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
bonuses, bonuses
1$3,750,000
4$3,000,000
2$1,000,000
Trades
CHI
    Expansion Draft
    CHI
    1. 2018 1st round pick (CGY)
    Additional Details:
    Sure, I've heard Palhal make the arguement that a player won't want to waive their NMC/NTC only to hurt their future team. Valid point, but I don't think they take picks into consideration nearly as much as actual NHL players. There's not guarantee that pick even plays in the NHL let alone while Crawford is in Calgary.
    CHI
    1. Duchene, Matt ($1,500,000 retained)
    2. 2018 3rd round pick (COL)
    Additional Details:
    This one hurts a little here, but Duchene is a talented player despite the drama between him and Sakic. Toews needs some talent around him. AND if needed he can swap with Anisimov because Duch can actually win a face off.
    COL
    1. Panarin, Artemi
    Additional Details:
    2x Top 10 scorer in the NHL
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$75,000,000$65,528,128$3,558,000$940,000$9,471,872
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$650,000$650K)
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $5,275,000$5,275,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $717,500$717,500 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $872,500$872,500
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    bonuses, bonuses
    $3,750,000$3,750,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.
    I like your reference in the details section of the Colorado trade concerning Anisimov. Spot on! According to none other than Connor McDavid, Alex DeBrincat is the real deal. How that might translate in becoming a regular on Joel Quenneville's Chicago Blackhawks as a teenager is another story. If he indeed is considered ready for the NHL next season, Panarin would be the most logical one to be moved. "Big" skates to fill for sure but ADB seems to be more than capable. I would even consider slotting him at 2LW across from Kaner. Perhaps highly unlikely Jumbo Joe moves to the Windy City for a year but ala Brad Richards at a reduced rate, maybe it is worth pursuing! That would be a heck of a line. The defensemen might be their Achilles heel, tho. Not sure who might be available within Chicago's tight cap situation but they could use a big, crease clearing guy who also fits within the team structure. As far as Crawford goes, he was the netminder who let a 2-0 3rd period lead disappear in a must win OT loss last game. While he was very good and can't be blamed for that defeat, at $6M/ is he the money goaltender other teams will covet? And from the Hawks perspective, is the Darling actually ready to be the number 1? Another off season filled with drama and tough decisions is in store!
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 12:08 p.m.
    I like this. This gives the Hawks 5+ million to sign a top 4-5 UFA defenseman and a GOOD top 9 forward. I'd probably resign Moose and Jurco and have Moose as #4C.

Everyone questions Darling's readiness to be a number 1 which is a very valid question. But take a look at Darling's numbers since he got off the bottle. He has gotten better and better each year even while moving up leagues. If there is any backup in the league that is ready to take a shot at being a #1 its him. I'd personally love to see him in Chicago but that takes trading Crow.
    graderman liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 12:51 p.m.
    exo2769
    Grader, understood about Crow being in net for Chicago, but I was referencing Elliot for Calgary and as you state, Crow played great in that loss. Off the glass and coincidentally falls between him and the net? Not his fault at all.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 1:04 p.m.
    Here's my take on the expansion draft. If I was Vegas, I would take TVR over Kruger, just to screw the Hawks, salary cap-wise. Which.. is why I believe the Hawks will deal TVR, to pretty much force Vegas to take Kruger. But.. if they want to keep Jurco's RFA status, they need to tender him, which would make him available for the draft..which Vegas could take him then; it's complicated lol...

How about this one - Panarin for Saad? Each makes 6 million. Columbus could use a skill player, and the Hawks need some more hard-nose players (hugely evident in this series).. Panik would likely get a tad more than that, given his 20+ goals, but not too much more. I think Seabrook would be the best option to deal (but there wont be many takers / wouldn't get as much back). He's getting slower, as the leagues getting faster.

If all else fails, I hate to say it, but trade Toews. It's seeming impossible to have great depth with two players making almost 30% of the salary cap. Their 8.4 combined in raises took away 2 depth players. Toews for Duchene? Toews could teach Jost how to be the leader he'll be in a few years.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 1:26 p.m.
    exo2769
    Well a few things. Vegas probably wants to create the best team that they can. They can find a bottom pair Dman on just about any team which is what TVR is. I'm not saying he's bad, but he is a bottom pair Dman. LVK needs to find an entire team. Players that play special teams like the PK are included. I'm clearly not McPhee, but it just seems like a no brainer to me because he can get 30 TVRs.

Panarin for Saad simply isn't going to happen for exactly the 2nd sentence. They make the same money. Sure Saad would help the Toews line, but it hurts the Kane line. One for the other. Both teams would just keep the players they have.

I'm not even going to address the last one.
    Hockeyplayer1 liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 2:04 p.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    Not enough for Panarin in my opinion.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 2:07 p.m.
    Quoting: exo2769
    Grader, understood about Crow being in net for Chicago, but I was referehncing Elliot for Calgary and as you state, Crow played great in that loss. Off the glass and coincidentally falls between him and the net? Not his fault at all.
    The tying score had some interference but Crow was out of his crease so good goal. I did get what you were originally saying tho. Gonna be interesting how it all pans out...
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 2:16 p.m.
    Quoting: rangersandislesfan
    Every team knows Chicago HAS to make trades, especially when it comes to their big cap hits. Panarin has been great -- in the NHL, KHL, Worlds. Yes, he's played with some top notch players which can only enhance his production and value. Duchene seems to be more versatile than Breadman but maybe that is what Chicago needs more of. Same cap hits, different types of players yet both have tremendous upside. Chicago would benefit but really may need DeBrincat to fill Panarin's role, IMO for it to truly work and be sold to their base.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 4:44 p.m.
    exo2769
    Quoting: rangersandislesfan

I would love to get more, but I'm not sure it's realistic. Ask Coga how he feels about the trade. $1.5M in Cap Savings shouldn't be underestimated either. Help offset those bonuses Panarin received.
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.
    Quoting: exo2769

I would love to get more, but I'm not sure it's realistic. Ask Coga how he feels about the trade. $1.5M in Cap Savings shouldn't be underestimated either. Help offset those bonuses Panarin received.

Its all what Chicago values more. The cap savings and the positional depth that Duchene would bring. Ive they value that retained salary and face-off ability of duchene then its probably a good hockey trade for both teams since Avs have the cap space to absorb all that next season.

rangersandislesfan only sees black and white....this player has this many points at this time so he is either bad or good. Doesn't put any value in anything else. Clearly Kane can play with anyone and make them a superstar if they have an ounce of talent. Toews is struggling hard and he was apparently vocal about Hawks to go after Dutchy at the deadline since they are friends from Team Canada. If that helps toews get going as well then there is added value in all of that
    Apr. 19, 2017 at 6:07 p.m.
    hawksfan88
    Panarin, Crawford, Anisimov
    for
    Duchene, Thornton, Alzner

You mentioned signing Thornton and Alzner, two guys I would love to see in Chicago. Imagine being able to sign both, assuming another guy would have to go to make room, probably Anisimov. But swapping these three players in my mind creates a much deeper back end with Alzner and adding more grit to the forwards while retaining a whole bunch of offensive skill. And of course, we're hoping Darling can be a solid goaltender.

All I'm saying is this would be a solid team.

Duchene-Toews-Panik
    Debrincat-Thornton-Kane
    Hartman-Schmaltz-Hossa
    Hayden-Kero-Motte
    Rasmussen/Jurco/Tootoo

Keith-Hjalmarsson
    Alzner-Seabrook
    Forsling-TVR

Darling
    backup

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question: