SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Corey Andonovski (2 Years / $925,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Corey Andonovski has signed a new contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Entry-Level Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Ron Hextall
Length: 2 years
Value: $1,850,000
Expiry Status: RFA (Arb)
Cap % Tooltip: 1.14
Signing Team: Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsPittsburgh Penguins
Signing Date: Mar. 10, 2022
Source: CapFriendly

Corey Andonovski signed a 2 year, $1,850,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Mar. 10, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $925,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2022-23$925,000$925,000$0$92,500$832,500$925,000$80,000
2023-24$925,000$925,000$0$92,500$832,500$925,000$80,000
TOTAL$1,850,000$1,850,000$0$185,000$1,665,000$1,850,000$160,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:32 p.m.
the great one
who da heck is dis
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
Nah.
The *Second* Best signing in Pennsylvania today.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
Do it now!
Quoting: dopplsan
The *Second* Best signing in Pennsylvania today.

That's... excessive...

But sometimes when you find free money it is a $20 bill, other times it is a quarter.
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:25 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I recognize that the Penguins have a puddle for a prospect pool but signing a 2/3 ppg senior off of a very mediocre Princeton team doesn't seem like the way to actually fix that problem.

I'm voting no: I don't even think Andonovski is going to be a factor in the AHL.
pinslack, A_Habs_fan, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Hii
He was one of the most highly rated college free agents, yes, win for Pitsburgh.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I recognize that the Penguins have a puddle for a prospect pool but signing a 2/3 ppg senior off of a very mediocre Princeton team doesn't seem like the way to actually fix that problem.

I'm voting no: I don't even think Andonovski is going to be a factor in the AHL.

So you think that’s why they give 925k
Mar. 11, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Gally_11
So you think that’s why they give 925k

925k is just a max ELC. They can't offer more. If you're a team with virtually ZERO prospects then yeah you may need to pony up a top offer chock full of bonuses to entice a guy to prioritize your system over playing close to home.
Remus liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 10:51 a.m.
Hii
925k is just a max ELC. They can't offer more. If you're a team with virtually ZERO prospects then yeah you may need to pony up a top offer chock full of bonuses to entice a guy to prioritize your system over playing close to home.

He was one of the top college prospects available, he was also having a really good year at Princeton. He might end up being a bottom six NHLer.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Hii
He was one of the top college prospects available, he was also having a really good year at Princeton. He might end up being a bottom six NHLer.

If he's considered one of the top college prospects this year then this must be a miserable year for NCAA free agent signings. Nothing about his year over year development is terribly exciting: his NHLe for the season he just posted is approximately 7 points over 82 games.

He might be able to carve out a career as a bottom-sixer in Wilkes-Barre. He has a massive uphill journey ahead of him if he's to make the NHL.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
Hii
If he's considered one of the top college prospects this year then this must be a miserable year for NCAA free agent signings. Nothing about his year over year development is terribly exciting: his NHLe for the season he just posted is approximately 7 points over 82 games.

He might be able to carve out a career as a bottom-sixer in Wilkes-Barre. He has a massive uphill journey ahead of him if he's to make the NHL.

He's got 22 points in 31 college games, that's not bad, it's better than some seventh rounders have, he was also insanely popular on the TSN broadcasts as they were saying that he was one of the best college free agents available and was well liked, I think if you're optimistic he could be a bottom six NHLer.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 11:41 a.m.
Ban Price trades
He's got 22 points in 31 college games, that's not bad, it's better than some seventh rounders have, he was also insanely popular on the TSN broadcasts as they were saying that he was one of the best college free agents available and was well liked, I think if you're optimistic he could be a bottom six NHLer.

For context, when Drake Caggiula signed with the Edmonton Oilers he posted a 1.307ppg in his senior season. He was clear of Andonovski's 0.7097ppg when he was still a junior at UND (0.8571ppg). Caggiula peaked as a poor man's bottom six forward.

The conversation factor I've used for NCAA players when calculating their NHLe is 0.1711. It's a number MannyElk had public before he was hired by the Mariners. It's tracked phenomenally well (ever notice how no NCAA FA has prolifically outperformed these projections?) and is more likely to continue doing so. If Andonovski has hopes of being an everyday bottom six forward he would need double his ppg production just to get within the 20 point mark at the NHL level. Given how development curves work, this is almost guaranteed to not happen at his age.

It's a poor commitment to the 50-man list. The Penguins were better off signing a kid in the CHL or someone from Europe over Andonovski.
Hii, A_Habs_fan and PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
Do it now!
It warms the hears watching someone fight tooth and nail to blast a player when he has never seen a single second of the player play and is just looking at a g-a-p stat line.

LOL
Mar. 13, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.

You can't compare a 7th round pick that has an unknown NCAA transition to that of a 22 yr-old senior. Being the best of a bad lot and being 'well liked'??
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 11:58 a.m.
Hii
Quoting: PrisonBull
You can't compare a 7th round pick that has an unknown NCAA transition to that of a 22 yr-old senior. Being the best of a bad lot and being 'well liked'??

I'm talking about seventh rounders that go to college plus the lot was average this year.
Mar. 13, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: WhyWait
It warms the hears watching someone fight tooth and nail to blast a player when he has never seen a single second of the player play and is just looking at a g-a-p stat line.

LOL

Buy his jersey then and let's see who gets a better return on their investment.

Quite literally only the most prolific players make the NHL. It's the best of the best, and a ho-hum NCAA senior doesn't meet either criteria. Not sure why you care about me thinking that this signing was poor and being able to justify the point?
Mar. 15, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Buy his jersey then and let's see who gets a better return on their investment.

Quite literally only the most prolific players make the NHL. It's the best of the best, and a ho-hum NCAA senior doesn't meet either criteria. Not sure why you care about me thinking that this signing was poor and being able to justify the point?

Dan Boyle was an unknown, ignored "ho-hum" NCAA defenseman who was never drafted and was basically heading nowhere until ...

1093Gp 163G 442A 605P
Mar. 15, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: gary_bettman
Dan Boyle was an unknown, ignored "ho-hum" NCAA defenseman who was never drafted and was basically heading nowhere until ...

1093Gp 163G 442A 605P

Are defencemen forwards?
Mar. 15, 2022 at 8:41 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Are defencemen forwards?

That's not the point. Regardless, ever hear of 7th round pick Joe Pavelski. Way to try and sneak out of that one haha
Mar. 15, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: gary_bettman
That's not the point. Regardless, ever hear of 7th round pick Joe Pavelski. Way to try and sneak out of that one haha

There's a vast difference between drafting a player at 20 years old or younger and signing a 26 year old that was never good enough to get drafted in the first place.

Way to try and get out of being wrong again.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 12:28 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

I dunno, I think everybody said the same thing about Drew O'Connor when he signed, and O'Connor's at least an NHL contributor (and he will be more so once Zach Aston-Reese likely leaves in FA).

Bit dramatic to say he won't even cut it in the AHL, methinks. This is the reality of what contending teams that have spent all of their draft capital on NHL players have to do: go bargain-bin hunting in the free agent pool for market inefficiencies to exploit. And they didn't expend much of any assets outside of an SPC slot to get him, so, if he is a bum, the Penguins will shrug, say, "ah, well," and move on. It's generally a fine bet to make, imo.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
I dunno, I think everybody said the same thing about Drew O'Connor when he signed, and O'Connor's at least an NHL contributor (and he will be more so once Zach Aston-Reese likely leaves in FA).

Bit dramatic to say he won't even cut it in the AHL, methinks. This is the reality of what contending teams that have spent all of their draft capital on NHL players have to do: go bargain-bin hunting in the free agent pool for market inefficiencies to exploit. And they didn't expend much of any assets outside of an SPC slot to get him, so, if he is a bum, the Penguins will shrug, say, "ah, well," and move on. It's generally a fine bet to make, imo.

If we're looking explicitly at the "gamble" rationale, then why not burn that contract slot on a CHL player with an NHLe that's at least in the double digits? If it's a matter of take time and see what he does, why not offer him an AHL deal as opposed to an NHL contract?

Unless absolutely nobody wants to go to Pittsburgh any more, it's a bad contract no matter how you look at it. There were better-producing kids coming out of junior and other ways to get him into the organizational fold without consuming a name on the 50-man list.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
If we're looking explicitly at the "gamble" rationale, then why not burn that contract slot on a CHL player with an NHLe that's at least in the double digits? If it's a matter of take time and see what he does, why not offer him an AHL deal as opposed to an NHL contract?

Unless absolutely nobody wants to go to Pittsburgh any more, it's a bad contract no matter how you look at it. There were better-producing kids coming out of junior and other ways to get him into the organizational fold without consuming a name on the 50-man list.
eh. NHLe's not the end-all be-all statistic that definitely determines how a player will transition to the NHL. it's a model, and, as they say, "all models are wrong, but some are more useful than others." it's an educated guess, but it's still a guess.

there's only so much we, as internet schmucks, can say about how good a player is just from boxcar stats, and actually watching them play and evaluating their on-ice performance is also important. but none of us really have the ability to just casually watch tape of NCAA players online. with how low-risk this signing generally appears to me, i'm mostly defaulting to trust in the Penguins' scouting staff that they've seen something worthwhile in Andonovski's game. i really don't think this signing is going to backfire that badly for the Penguins.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit