Forums/Armchair-GM

Risto Saves Christmas

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 10, 2022
Published: Mar. 10, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pen to paper pushes Sanheim closer to being a more immediate trade asset for the Flyers and by Christ, Edmonton cannot afford to miss out if he actually hits the block.

Smith LTIRetires and Russell is probably back for the playoffs.

Address goaltending and Barrie in the summer, probably at the same time in a direct one-for-one swap (Driedger / Ullmark).
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Sanheim, Travis ($675,000 retained)
  2. 2022 4th round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
Buffalo Sabres to retain $675k of Sanheim's deal.
EDM
    For retention in the Sanheim trade
    BUF
    1. 2023 4th round pick (EDM)
    EDM
    1. 2022 6th round pick (COL)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$80,873,164$669,339$1,390,000$626,836

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $2,108,696$2,108,696
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $1,175,000$1,175,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $5,538,462$5,538,462
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:42 p.m.
    EuroTrash Hockey Vet
    would be hilarious if Risto was a sign and trade to EDM
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: YoungPattyKane
    would be hilarious if Risto was a sign and trade to EDM

Get that bad juju outta here. Sounds exactly like a Ken Holland move.
    YoungPattyKane liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.
    I dont think you need to include Yamo in this. I could see a player like Lavoie, or Tullio instead being included
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: Eberles_Backcheck
    I dont think you need to include Yamo in this. I could see a player like Lavoie, or Tullio instead being included

It's almost necessary for the cap to work which is a massive bummer.

Not sure the value is entirely there without Yamamoto either but it's close. I'll let some Flyers fans weigh in and edit accordingly!
    Eberles_Backcheck liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
    Tintin over 1122
    Seems fair. Nice job
    oilersguy liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    There's two issues I see here for the parties involved.

1) PHI doesn't get assets of need in exchange to Sanheim, which basically means RHD prospects. They're severely lacking in that department. Yes they're lacking in other parts as well but for example a team like Kings could easily outbid this offer by throwing in prospects like Spence or Grans alongside their first. What EDM throws in alongside that 1st is just fluff, holding no real purpose or need for the Flyers. Nothing that would evoke certain interest.

2) ARI has only one retention spot left after retaining Ekman-Larsson's and Kuemper's contracts, and I think that is reserved for any potential Kessel deal there is to come. This is easily fixed by picking some other team for that retention like Buffalo, but a problem to note regardless. I'd question the value of Lagesson or Marody as compensations as neither doesn't seem like assets with actual NHL future - I think the team would rather have picks as compensation as those at least in theory have potential to manifest into something more interesting - I mean say that EDM throws in a 4th for a team to retain that salary and that 4th turns out to be the next Carter Savoie - that's the kind of potential dub we're talking about.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: justaBoss
    There's two issues I see here for the parties involved.

1) PHI doesn't get assets of need in exchange to Sanheim, which basically means RHD prospects. They're severely lacking in that department. Yes they're lacking in other parts as well but for example a team like Kings could easily outbid this offer by throwing in prospects like Spence or Grans alongside their first. What EDM throws in alongside that 1st is just fluff, holding no real purpose or need for the Flyers. Nothing that would evoke certain interest.

2) ARI has only one retention spot left after retaining Ekman-Larsson's and Kuemper's contracts, and I think that is reserved for any potential Kessel deal there is to come. This is easily fixed by picking some other team for that retention like Buffalo, but a problem to note regardless. I'd question the value of Lagesson or Marody as compensations as neither doesn't seem like assets with actual NHL future - I think the team would rather have picks as compensation as those at least in theory have potential to manifest into something more interesting - I mean say that EDM throws in a 4th for a team to retain that salary and that 4th turns out to be the next Carter Savoie - that's the kind of potential dub we're talking about.

I think these are phenomenal points, specifically the Arizona one. I'll adjust that accordingly.

I would hesitate to think the Kings would outbid an offer for Sanheim when Chychrun probably remains their primary target: more term, probably a higher ceiling, relatively similar age to their core, and Sanheim is a UFA once his deal is up. I don't disagree that they have more of the specific pieces that the Flyers have both a want and a need for, but I don't think Sanheim would be their priority. I'm convinced it's Chychrun at the 2022 draft or Sergachev at the 2023 draft.

I think in any Sanheim deal the Flyers are going to have to tolerate a 2022 first round pick followed by fluff. Nemec or Jiricek are going to have to be their lottery/non-lottery targets if they aren't getting Wright if they're that down bad for some RHD.
    justaBoss and capsfan2121 liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    I think these are phenomenal points, specifically the Arizona one. I'll adjust that accordingly.

I would hesitate to think the Kings would outbid an offer for Sanheim when Chychrun probably remains their primary target: more term, probably a higher ceiling, relatively similar age to their core, and Sanheim is a UFA once his deal is up. I don't disagree that they have more of the specific pieces that the Flyers have both a want and a need for, but I don't think Sanheim would be their priority. I'm convinced it's Chychrun at the 2022 draft or Sergachev at the 2023 draft.

I think in any Sanheim deal the Flyers are going to have to tolerate a 2022 first round pick followed by fluff. Nemec or Jiricek are going to have to be their lottery/non-lottery targets if they aren't getting Wright if they're that down bad for some RHD.

Perhaps. Ultimately it boils down to how much LA (or any team looking for a relatively young Top4 D-man) is willing to spend. I think Sanheim, particularly due to his contract situation, is due to get the most affordable package.

As for how much it'll be, I don't think PHI is moving him unless they get at least the same kind of haul for him they spent for Risto. Similar contract situation with one year remaining, with Sanheim actually being good to boot lol. That offer would include a roster player, a first round pick and a second round pick - which is value wise probably more than 1st+Spence I initally thought would be the offer from Kings, if they were interested.

Chychrun is probably the number one target, but his cost is also immense. As for Sergachev...I can't see him becoming available. I really think TB is planning for Sergachev to take Hedman's role one day.
    capsfan2121 liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Perhaps. Ultimately it boils down to how much LA (or any team looking for a relatively young Top4 D-man) is willing to spend. I think Sanheim, particularly due to his contract situation, is due to get the most affordable package.

As for how much it'll be, I don't think PHI is moving him unless they get at least the same kind of haul for him they spent for Risto. Similar contract situation with one year remaining, with Sanheim actually being good to boot lol. That offer would include a roster player, a first round pick and a second round pick - which is value wise probably more than 1st+Spence I initally thought would be the offer from Kings, if they were interested.

Chychrun is probably the number one target, but his cost is also immense. As for Sergachev...I can't see him becoming available. I really think TB is planning for Sergachev to take Hedman's role one day.

I don't take issue with having to go straight to matching the framework of the Ristolainen deal with the 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Yamamoto and the last scraps of Turris' deal to accommodate this deal. I really only included Samorukov on the notion that a defence prospect would be preferred in a deal for a defender. Probably a piece I don't need to add if we're going one-to-one with that prior trade. You can essentially equate Yamamoto being better than Hagg as enough to offset any difference in pick numbers.

I don't think the cost for Chychrun is going to be that monumental to the Kings specifically. Grans, Turcotte, Walker, and their 2022 first are a big package that most teams couldn't afford but ultimately tallies up to nothing that was helping them win and get to second place in the Pacific division today.

I think Cirelli and Sergachev will prove to be too expensive on their next deals for the Lightning to keep both and they've ran out of draft capital and prospects to dump McDonagh. They might be able to use a buyout on Ryan in 2023 but that third year cap hit is going to be very, very restrictive for a club that's already going to be seeing a lot of its older talent drop off. They have one year left of Stamkos at that point and two of Hedman. To me, that's writing on the wall for a retool.
    capsfan2121 liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    I don't take issue with having to go straight to matching the framework of the Ristolainen deal with the 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Yamamoto and the last scraps of Turris' deal to accommodate this deal. I really only included Samorukov on the notion that a defence prospect would be preferred in a deal for a defender. Probably a piece I don't need to add if we're going one-to-one with that prior trade. You can essentially equate Yamamoto being better than Hagg as enough to offset any difference in pick numbers.

I don't think the cost for Chychrun is going to be that monumental to the Kings specifically. Grans, Turcotte, Walker, and their 2022 first are a big package that most teams couldn't afford but ultimately tallies up to nothing that was helping them win and get to second place in the Pacific division today.

I think Cirelli and Sergachev will prove to be too expensive on their next deals for the Lightning to keep both and they've ran out of draft capital and prospects to dump McDonagh. They might be able to use a buyout on Ryan in 2023 but that third year cap hit is going to be very, very restrictive for a club that's already going to be seeing a lot of its older talent drop off. They have one year left of Stamkos at that point and two of Hedman. To me, that's writing on the wall for a retool.

I think it depends on whether they keep Palat or not. Palat and Killorn leaving would probably free up enough cap space for keeping them both, and I don't think moving McDonagh is going to be massive issue as long as he continues to perform. If he's willing to waive that NTC, I could see him getting moved similar to Fleury - but only if he keeps up being a top-4 level player.

I think there's a plenty of teams to take McDonagh in basically for free provided they have the cap space to do so.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
    Bedard23
    Get that bad juju outta here. Sounds exactly like a Ken Holland move.

Knowing Ken Holland he probably gives Philly a first to trade for him
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    I think it depends on whether they keep Palat or not. Palat and Killorn leaving would probably free up enough cap space for keeping them both, and I don't think moving McDonagh is going to be massive issue as long as he continues to perform. If he's willing to waive that NTC, I could see him getting moved similar to Fleury - but only if he keeps up being a top-4 level player.

I think there's a plenty of teams to take McDonagh in basically for free provided they have the cap space to do so.

The problem with penciling in the cap from Killorn and Palat over a year in advance is who are the Lightning replacing them with in the interim? If it's through UFA signings then that money cannot be accounted for as a pair of top-six wingers, even with all of the tax advantages that come from playing in Tampa, will sum up to at least three-quarters of their $9M. Is Tampa still as strong of a club in their impending twilight if they try to replace those two internally?

I'm probably assuming worst-case scenario with McDonagh but I've been taught to quit trusting players north of 32 years. I think inevitably they'll keep Sergachev over Cirelli, they almost have to, but I do think he'd be privy to an offer sheet.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    The problem with penciling in the cap from Killorn and Palat over a year in advance is who are the Lightning replacing them with in the interim? If it's through UFA signings then that money cannot be accounted for as a pair of top-six wingers, even with all of the tax advantages that come from playing in Tampa, will sum up to at least three-quarters of their $9M. Is Tampa still as strong of a club in their impending twilight if they try to replace those two internally?

I'm probably assuming worst-case scenario with McDonagh but I've been taught to quit trusting players north of 32 years. I think inevitably they'll keep Sergachev over Cirelli, they almost have to, but I do think he'd be privy to an offer sheet.

That's the big question.

Perhaps they'll bring in some veteran with a one year contract to fill the hole Palat leaves, and then in 2023-24 when both that veteran and Killorn are gone they'll fill their place with assets like ABB, Katchouk or Joseph? Maybe prospects like Finley and Fortier are bringing bigger impact at that time. What if some random 7th rounder suddenly just appears from nowhere and takes the role? Huuhtanen is showing good promise. Perhaps Bennett MacArthur is the next Tyler Johnson, albeit a bigger version of him?

Honestly it's very hard to say. Predicting future is that hard. But if I had to guess, those spots will be filled with younger assets in the team already.
    BeterChiarelli liked this.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    That's the big question.

Perhaps they'll bring in some veteran with a one year contract to fill the hole Palat leaves, and then in 2023-24 when both that veteran and Killorn are gone they'll fill their place with assets like ABB, Katchouk or Joseph? Maybe prospects like Finley and Fortier are bringing bigger impact at that time. What if some random 7th rounder suddenly just appears from nowhere and takes the role? Huuhtanen is showing good promise. Perhaps Bennett MacArthur is the next Tyler Johnson, albeit a bigger version of him?

Honestly it's very hard to say. Predicting future is that hard. But if I had to guess, those spots will be filled with younger assets in the team already.

I'd personally keep an eye on Max Cajkovic: I was really high on him in his draft year and still am, he's just had to unlearn years of undue torture from that god-awful Sea Dogs team that he got stuck on. I think he gets another year with the Crunch before breaking into the NHL. It's not going to be obvious, he'll maybe post a 0.75ppg in Syracuse and just magically click with one of Point or Cirelli. Life tends to be unfair that way. Cole Koepke is probably going to be far better than anyone anticipated too. Damn the Lightning.
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 7:08 p.m.
    That seems a bit much for Sanheim, not sure how he’s doing this year but not sure a 1st, Yamamoto and Samorukov is what’s needed to get Philly to part ways with Sanheim
    Mar. 10, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: A_Habs_fan
    That seems a bit much for Sanheim, not sure how he’s doing this year but not sure a 1st, Yamamoto and Samorukov is what’s needed to get Philly to part ways with Sanheim

The back-and-forth between @JustaBoss and I pretty much highlighted that the ask should more or less mirror what they paid for Ristolainen. He's a far better defenceman and they don't necessarily need to move him.

I think JFresh's chart has him as a rather underappreciated defenceman that can survive top-pair TOI and QoC.
    justaBoss liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll