SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Philadelphia Flyers

My Long Flyers Rant

Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Danny Mr. GM Briere
My problem is not with Risto himself. When I watch him, I see something that I don’t from other flyers defensemen since Pronger left in 2012: constant turnovers. It’s been EVERY defenseman we’ve had since he left. Risto does not struggle with this. It is fair value. But this is where the problem lies.

The Flyers have CONSTANTLY tried to do the thing where they ignore analytics in favor of “big” players. That’s what they got in Lindros, and worked out pretty well until his bad habit of always looking down at the puck hit him. They constantly whiff on drafts. Sam Morin: 6’7, 215+ lbs defenseman that no one had in their top 15 on the draft board in 2013. Flyers reached, and it failed miserably. In 2017, the flyers get GIFTED the 2nd selection despite barely missing the playoffs. THAT SAME YEAR, Nashville taught you that you can NEVER have too many defensemen. Never. You can flip them if you are too stacked there. What do the flyers do? They draft an injury prone, just coming off from a surgery Nolan Patrick 2nd overall. A big “200 foot” centerman. Which the flyers DIDNT NEED. They had Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn (they ended up trading Schenn to St. Louis because they got Patrick). They had a stacked defense pool at the time, but it was clear they could use another big piece. What else did they need? 30+ goal scorers. A 200 foot centerman is not going to be that. The guy that was 2nd in goals on the team in Schenn, they traded on that same day. Then, they signed Kevin Hayes. A 200 foot center blah blah blah, he sucks. He wasn’t even that good when he was “good”. Then they traded for Risto. But I thought it was an investment type deal once we started losing. There’s a reason we paid so much, right? But instead they DOUBLE DOWN. On the logic that has rewarded them with 0 championships in the last 47 years. 6 losses in the finals without a cup since 1976. You’d think something would change, but it hasn’t. What’s worse is that with the passing of Mr Snider in 2016, I don’t even know who’s running the team. He was such a kind man who went out of his way to go above and beyond for his players. To establish a relationship. To help them out during injury. We do not have that anymore. A soleless corporation that understands nothing about hockey is running the team. They think we will compete. We will not. With Ed it was excuseable to go all in every year. He GIFTED us our hockey team. Why can’t an old man just have one more cup? Now, it’s just sad. All the best teams intentionally lose at some point. The flyers are trying to be the flyers of old in an era where it doesn’t work. It’s very sad.

To reiterate: the eye test tells me Risto isn’t as bad as they say he is. My heart tells me that the flyers are a clown organization that will never change their primitive ways. It is absolutely pathetic to watch them walk all over themselves all the time. Did this team ever hear Albert Einstein’s take on insanity? By his logic, they are bat sh*t crazy.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
KFTW
I thought they should tear it down tbh . The roster has flaws and they need high end pieces
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I thought Ristolainen was supposed to be a turnover machine?
Mar. 10, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Danny Mr. GM Briere
Quoting: csick
I thought they should tear it down tbh . The roster has flaws and they need high end pieces

they have to. it was understandable say 5 years ago, but now there is no excuse. They will probably find a steal late in the first round one year, be contenders, and repeat the cycle. its like the Parise/Suter wild on crack
Mar. 10, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
Danny Mr. GM Briere
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I thought Ristolainen was supposed to be a turnover machine?

not that i have noticed... the ignorance surrounding him is palpable. it's really frustrating to see a bunch of people who dont watch someone play formulate an opinion on him based on other people who dont watch him play. I have never seen such a mediocre defenseman be so hated
csick, MisstheWhalers, TheFastAndTheFleuryous and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 28, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Sicksi
not that i have noticed... the ignorance surrounding him is palpable. it's really frustrating to see a bunch of people who dont watch someone play formulate an opinion on him based on other people who dont watch him play. I have never seen such a mediocre defenseman be so hated

As a Leaf fan, I really don't much of a problem with the players. of any team ....I believe 99% are trying to the best of the ability.
But Leaf management (like the Flyers) has really sucked over the past decades with few glimpses of hope. Poor drafting and not recognizing "cap value" in players has been the two flaws that stick out with me about the Leafs (who I know) and from a distance, it's really the same for the Flyers and virtually any poor team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll