SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Bruins Prospect Update Part 10

Mar. 14, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
These are in the same order that I wrote them last time, with new updates at the end.

Fabian Lysell: Last update, Lysell had put up 41 points in 35 games. Since then, the offense has continued to be consistent and plentiful for the kid, now with 47 points (20 goals) in 40 games. Did anyone else watch his most recent game against the Portland Winterhawks? If you did, you were able to see Lysell's full offensive toolkit on display, and it was impressive. He's able to make difficult plays with consistency and with little effort. He makes himself nearly all the time, and he's able to use his skating and vision to extend plays and create chances for himself. I'd compare him to Artemi Panarin in terms of style, and compared to how the Vancouver Giants GM Barclay Parneta views him, that comparable may be too light potential-wise. Parneta, according to The Athletic, compared Lysell's skating ability to Pavel Bure and Connor McDavid. Lofty expectations, but he's showed us no reason to doubt that he can hit them.

Brett Harrison: Last Update, Harrison had put up 45 points in 46 games. Since then, he's remained consistent, now with 49 points (23 goals) in 51 games. While not the greatest numbers, the cast around him isn't great, outside of Tyler Tullio. And Harrison isn't exactly an offense-first type of player. He's a hard working, three-zone player that cares as much about keeping the puck out of his own net than putting it in the opponent's. Still, it's a little disappointing that he hasn't continued to strong offensive output that he started the season with, but it's not for lack of effort. He just hasn't been as lucky.

Ty Gallagher: Last update, Gallagher had put up 15 points in 31 games. Since then, the offense has been mediocre, now with 16 points (5 goals) in 34 games. Not fantastic numbers, but considering that he's a two-way defenseman and a freshman playing for one of the better NCAA teams, I'm certainly happy with how this season has gone for the former 7th round pick. And the NCAA seems to be happy about it as well, as Gallagher was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team a few days ago. Congrats to him.

Mason Lohrei: Last update, Lohrei had put up 29 points in 31 games. Since then, Ohio State hasn't played, but Lohrei did receive a nomination for Big Ten Defenseman of the Year. That's high praise considering that he's a freshman, albeit an overaged one. In my opinion, Lohrei was far and away the best player for the Buckeyes this season, and the numbers kind of back that up, with Lohrei finishing 2nd on the team in points despite missing 5 games. He makes a strong case to be the Bruins top prospect, and should (hopefully) be looking at an ELC signing after next season.

John Beecher: Last update, Beecher had put up 10 points in 27 games. Since then, The offense has actually ramped up a little bit, now with 13 points (6 goals) in 30 games. Not game-breaking numbers, but it's his best point pace since the start of the year. Beecher has been getting a lot of ice time, especially against Michigan State a week ago, where he played his best game of the season. Each game I watch, I seem to like Beecher more and more. It's the little things that he does so well that makes me think that he's a candidate for the AHL next year, and I think it'll be a smooth transition.

Ryan Mast: Last update, Mast had put up 18 points in 36 games. Since then, Mast has been decent offensively, now with 21 points (7 goals) in 42 games. Not great numbers, but considering that Mast is a stay-at-home defender by trade, they really aren't bad numbers at all. He's shown tremendous growth from 2 season ago, where his offensive potential seemed limited to pretty much nothing. While I still don't see him as a big offensive threat in the future, Mast could be a Carlo-type of player in the o-zone; you don't expect much, but he can surprise you with his abilities every once in a while.

Riley Duran: Last update, Duran had put up 18 points in 36 games. Since then, he's only played 2 games, now with 19 points (10 goals) in 38 games. He was snubbed from Hockey East All-Rookie team imo. I really liked what Duran was able to produce given the limited ice time and opportunities. This will be the last update with Duran in it, as there really isn't much else to say. He had a good first year, and I hope he builds on it with more chances next year.

Michael Callahan: Last update, Callahan had just been traded to the Bruins. Now, he's signed his ELC. He should transition smoothly to the AHL, and hopefully he sees some ice fairly soon on an AHL tryout or something (I don't think his deal kicks in until next season). I think that Callahan is a sneaky-good prospect that has lost hype over the years form an anomaly of a season for him based on how he plays. He's a good shutdown defender that has moderately-good offensive ability, but it's definitely not the basis of his talent.

Matias Mantykivi: I've been waiting to make a report on this kid until I saw a few games, and I'm now satisfied in my viewings to report. Matykivi has enjoyed his best season with Ilves of the Finnish Liiga this season, with 30 points (12 goals) in 47 games as a 20 year old center. Mantykivi is an undersized center with really nice hands and a good offensive toolkit. He's able to create plays with his vision and playmaking ability, and displays good effort on all sides of the puck. He needs to work on his overall speed as he's both small and slow, which won't fly in the smaller North American rinks. He is however, extremely agile, ablate make defenders miss with edge work and his excellent puck skills. I'd like to see him come to the AHL sooner rather than later, as he shows some untapped potential that I just don't think the Bruins can exploit overseas anymore.

Dropped Out (but still notable players, just nothing new to say about them): Jake Schmaltz, Oskar Jellvik, Trevor Kuntar, Quinn Olson

As I did in my 5th update, I've decided to make a U26 Bruins squad so that you guys can see how I value these players in comparison to each other, based on potential and not current ability. Taxi Squad is honorable mentions
CoopsTroops liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 11:50 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Jake Schmaltz has an impressive skill set for a 7th rounder. Put up some pretty nice numbers in the USHL and good first season with North Dakota.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
I think next year we’ll see a good number of Bruin prospects at the WJC-20 tourney, they’ll be fun to watch
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Jake Schmaltz has an impressive skill set for a 7th rounder. Put up some pretty nice numbers in the USHL and good first season with North Dakota.

I agree. Solid season for him. A little inconsistent in terms of output but solid for a freshman on a really good team. I feel like the Bruins struggle with first round drafting, but are one of the better teams at finding late round gems like Mantykivi, Mast, Gallagher, Schmaltz, Jellvik, Duran, etc. They do well with NCAA signees too.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: KennyBoi
I think next year we’ll see a good number of Bruin prospects at the WJC-20 tourney, they’ll be fun to watch

I could see Lysell, Jellvik, Harrison, and Gallagher in the WJC next year. Not to mention whoever we get in the first round this year will prob have a shot too, if we don't trade the pick.
Mar. 14, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: BruinsFan35
I could see Lysell, Jellvik, Harrison, and Gallagher in the WJC next year. Not to mention whoever we get in the first round this year will prob have a shot too, if we don't trade the pick.

Ya those 4 guys were exactly who I was thinking
BruinsFan35 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll