Forums/Armchair-GM

Stand Pat

Created by: Bruins1054_gmb
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2022
Published: Mar. 17, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With it being an extreme seller's market this year at the deadline, the Bruins should stand pat. Maybe make a depth move, but there's no one on the market worth mortgaging the future for when anyone they get would not make this team significantly better than FLA, TB, CAR, TOR, etc. Look at the recent past with the Nash and Kase trades; multiple young assets that would no doubt be helping this team right now for players that got them nowhere in the playoffs, other than 2nd rd exits. They should keep their 1st and 2nd round picks along with their few young prospects, and believe Bergeron, Marchand, Hall, Pasta, McAvoy, and Swayman are good enough to win in the playoffs, especially if the 3rd line keeps playing the way it has been.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,949,008$1,956,507$1,107,500$550,992
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$769,167$769,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
C’mon, you know you want to trade a 1st, a 4th, and a good prospect for Giordano Winking with Tongue Out
Bruins1054_gmb liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
Banned
One trade and everyone thinks its a sellers market.

Florida was also asking a 2nd for vatrano and got a fourth. Arizona has been asking for a 3rd for kessel and no one will take him. One stupid GM gave up too much for Chiarot, that doesn’t mean the market has been completely reset.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
One trade and everyone thinks its a sellers market.

Florida was also asking a 2nd for vatrano and got a fourth. Arizona has been asking for a 3rd for kessel and no one will take him. One stupid GM gave up too much for Chiarot, that doesn’t mean the market has been completely reset.

The Seattle/Calgary trade was also lopsided. Hertl is off the market.
Either way, no matter what they do, it's not likely to make them better than the teams ahead of them.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bruins1054_gmb
The Seattle/Calgary trade was also lopsided. Hertl is off the market.
Either way, no matter what they do, it's not likely to make them better than the teams ahead of them.

Standing pat would be so silly. This is the last kick at the can with bergeron as a number one center most likely. Pay up for chychrun. Go get copp. The bruins have been one of the hottest teams in the league for 2022
KennyBoi liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
Standing pat would be so silly. This is the last kick at the can with bergeron as a number one center most likely. Pay up for chychrun. Go get copp. The bruins have been one of the hottest teams in the league for 2022

Why Copp? Where would he play, 2C? Would he be better there than Haula? 3rd LW and mess with the chemistry of Fred-Coyle-Smith? No thanks. Chcyrun is too expensive.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Banned
Why Copp? Where would he play, 2C? Would he be better there than Haula? 3rd LW and mess with the chemistry of Fred-Coyle-Smith? No thanks. Chcyrun is too expensive.

Yes. 2C. He’s a very versatile player though. Worlds better than haula. No brainer.

Who says chychrun is too expensive, you?
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
Yes. 2C. He’s a very versatile player though. Worlds better than haula. No brainer.

Who says chychrun is too expensive, you?

Worlds is dramatic. Marginally, at best.

And yes, I say Chychrun is too expensive. That was the purpose of the post.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:46 p.m.
This is a bad mentality to have. If the price for rental Dmen are that, then might as well give up pretty much the same value for Dmen who can play beyond this season (Chychrun, Sanheim, etc.) This is BOS last chance with Bergy’s future in question, might as well give this team the best chance to go for it. As long as Sweeney keeps Lysell, Lohrei and the 2023 1st I’m happy.
bruinsdude77 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Banned
Worlds is dramatic. Marginally, at best.

And yes, I say Chychrun is too expensive. That was the purpose of the post.

No, it’s worlds better.

Oh no! The bruins would lose Fabian Lysell in a chychrun trade. Who cares? He’ll hit his prime in four years when the bruins are stepping into a rebuild.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KennyBoi
This is a bad mentality to have. If the price for rental Dmen are that, then might as well give up pretty much the same value for Dmen who can play beyond this season (Chychrun, Sanheim, etc.) This is BOS last chance with Bergy’s future in question, might as well give this team the best chance to go for it. As long as Sweeney keeps Lysell, Lohrei and the 2023 1st I’m happy.

Oh, so keep everything that teams would want?

Also a very bad mentality to have. That’s the kind of mentality that gets really bad depth. Bruins have plenty of that.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Oh, so keep everything that teams would want?

Also a very bad mentality to have. That’s the kind of mentality that gets really bad depth. Bruins have plenty of that.

At this point in time of where the Bruins are, those 3 pieces need to be untouchables unless the Jacobs are fine with becoming the next Sens or Red Wings for half a decade.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Banned
At this point in time of where the Bruins are, those 3 pieces need to be untouchables unless the Jacobs are fine with becoming the next Sens or Red Wings for half a decade.

The bruins have a 24 year old franchise defensemen, a 25 year old number 2 D locked up for 6 years, a 23 year old goalie that last time i checked led the league in GAA, a 25 year old who has led the league in goals, and a top five player in hte NHL, who while 33, doesn’t really appear to be slowing down.

What on earth are you talking about?
Mar. 17, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
No, it’s worlds better.

Oh no! The bruins would lose Fabian Lysell in a chychrun trade. Who cares? He’ll hit his prime in four years when the bruins are stepping into a rebuild.

Well thinking that Chychrun and Copp put this team over the top is a little wreckless. I'd like the Bruins to be good even after Bergeron leaves. They can do that with the talent they have, but they'll need to manage their assets well, including getting another Top 6 C at some point. Copp isn't that guy.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Banned
Well thinking that Chychrun and Copp put this team over the top is a little wreckless. I'd like the Bruins to be good even after Bergeron leaves. They can do that with the talent they have, but they'll need to manage their assets well, including getting another Top 6 C at some point. Copp isn't that guy.

You’re right. At some point they’ll need a legit top center. It doesn’t have to be a top five guy in the league, and no Copp is not that. However he can likely get you through this season and next as a solid 2C option while the bruins go hunting for a 1C. Make no mistake though, none of the pieces the bruins would be moving have any likelihood of becoming a top six center.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.

The bruins have a 24 year old franchise defensemen, a 25 year old number 2 D locked up for 6 years, a 23 year old goalie that last time i checked led the league in GAA, a 25 year old who has led the league in goals, and a top five player in hte NHL, who while 33, doesn’t really appear to be slowing down.

Both of these things can be true. I don't agree at all that the Bruins are destined for a rebuild but in a salary cap league you also need to draft and develop and Lysell looks like a potential star and Lohrei a lock as a top-four defenseman at a position of need. You don't move either for a rental and I don't think you move Lysell at all. If Lohrei is going, a long-term top-pair LD a la Chychrun needs to be coming back and the rest of the package can't be too extreme. The 2023 first also needs to be reserved for a long-term add.

As for the idea that the B's should stand pat, I completely disagree. The market will settle closer to the deadline and if high prices stick for term players, so be it. There are only so many runs left with Bergeron. Either find some defensive depth and top-six forward to rent for a good price or swing for the fences with a long-term add at LD1, RW1, or C2. Don't be stupid with your most valuable pieces but don't protect them on principal alone. Most importantly, don't do nothing.
KennyBoi liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:32 p.m.
You’re right. At some point they’ll need a legit top center. It doesn’t have to be a top five guy in the league, and no Copp is not that. However he can likely get you through this season and next as a solid 2C option while the bruins go hunting for a 1C. Make no mistake though, none of the pieces the bruins would be moving have any likelihood of becoming a top six center.

What would you be willing to give up for Copp? I agree about the in-house options the Bruins have at center. Beecher, Studnicka, Frederic, and Harrison are most likely not going to make that leap. I would wait until draft day to trade the first to either move up in the draft to take a center, or use that capital to get a legit top 6 guy. Personally, if he's even available, I like Scheifele. Though, he may not be a perfect fit, I could definitely see him playing between Marchand and Lysell, or Hall and Pasta. I don't know what it would take, but the starting point would be DeBrusk and a first.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.

So you're not okay with standing pat, but you're not okay with trading the assets other teams want. Seems like an oxymoron to me.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Quoting: bruinsdude77
Both of these things can be true. I don't agree at all that the Bruins are destined for a rebuild but in a salary cap league you also need to draft and develop and Lysell looks like a potential star and Lohrei a lock as a top-four defenseman at a position of need. You don't move either for a rental and I don't think you move Lysell at all. If Lohrei is going, a long-term top-pair LD a la Chychrun needs to be coming back and the rest of the package can't be too extreme. The 2023 first also needs to be reserved for a long-term add.

As for the idea that the B's should stand pat, I completely disagree. The market will settle closer to the deadline and if high prices stick for term players, so be it. There are only so many runs left with Bergeron. Either find some defensive depth and top-six forward to rent for a good price or swing for the fences with a long-term add at LD1, RW1, or C2. Don't be stupid with your most valuable pieces but don't protect them on principal alone. Most importantly, don't do nothing.

I understand disagreeing with standing pat. What I don't understand is why everyone thinks this team goes into full rebuild once Bergeron is gone. A foundation of Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall, McAvoy, and Swayman is too much to ever be at a point of non-contention. The Bruins will need another top 6 C sooner than later, but that does not mean they have to give up their top and mid-range assets to try to win this year because it's hopeless in the future without Bergeron. The Bruins can continue to be a playoff team for years to come. That's what great franchises do. They are always competitive and seldom have to enter a rebuild, which is never a guarantee. Look at Buffalo.
bruinsdude77 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.
So you're not okay with standing pat, but you're not okay with trading the assets other teams want. Seems like an oxymoron to me.

There is an ocean of possibility between standing pat and making trades that require giving up Lysell, Lohrei, and the 2023 first, my friend. The B's could grab multiple solid assets - rental or term - without touching any of those pieces.
KennyBoi liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.

Perfect analogy, this is right on the money
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Perfect analogy, this is right on the money

That's not an analogy.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 3:59 p.m.

I'm sure every team in the league would love to have Lysell or Lohrei, doesn't mean they should be dealt though. Same can be said for any team, who wouldn't love to have a teams top prospect, but we don't see other teams moving their top prospects very often (I think the last top prospect to be moved was Krebs in the Eichel deal, now that's a scenario that makes sense to move a teams top prospect). Sweeney needs to be smart and think about this teams future but also now. Like I said, Lysell, Lohrei and the 2023 1st need to be untouchables, I'm fine with any other prospect and/or pick being moved and some of them I'm sure have the interests of other teams
Mar. 17, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
I understand disagreeing with standing pat. What I don't understand is why everyone thinks this team goes into full rebuild once Bergeron is gone. A foundation of Pastrnak, Marchand, Hall, McAvoy, and Swayman is too much to ever be at a point of non-contention. The Bruins will need another top 6 C sooner than later, but that does not mean they have to give up their top and mid-range assets to try to win this year because it's hopeless in the future without Bergeron. The Bruins can continue to be a playoff team for years to come. That's what great franchises do. They are always competitive and seldom have to enter a rebuild, which is never a guarantee. Look at Buffalo.

Oh I agree. I don't think they're hopeless at all once Bergeron is gone, especially with the likes of Bo Horvat, J.T. Miller, and Ryan O'Reilly hitting free agency in 2023. I just don't want to stand pat while Bergeron is here. I say keep your best assets but be willing to move anything else to fill in the gaps this year.
Bruins1054_gmb and KennyBoi liked this.
Mar. 17, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.

I'm not saying in the next 5 years the Bruins are going to need to rebuild, I'm talking about 10 years+ in the future where guys like Lysell, Lohrei and the 2023 1st round pick would otherwise be in their prime and keep this team competitive, but you want to move them NOW. If the Bruins keep moving all of their top prospects they're going to be a mediocre team not winning jack all for yearssss
Mar. 17, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
I'm sure every team in the league would love to have Lysell or Lohrei, doesn't mean they should be dealt though. Same can be said for any team, who wouldn't love to have a teams top prospect, but we don't see other teams moving their top prospects very often (I think the last top prospect to be moved was Krebs in the Eichel deal, now that's a scenario that makes sense to move a teams top prospect). Sweeney needs to be smart and think about this teams future but also now. Like I said, Lysell, Lohrei and the 2023 1st need to be untouchables, I'm fine with any other prospect and/or pick being moved and some of them I'm sure have the interests of other teams

Oh I agree. I don't think they're hopeless at all once Bergeron is gone, especially with the likes of Bo Horvat, J.T. Miller, and Ryan O'Reilly hitting free agency in 2023. I just don't want to stand pat while Bergeron is here. I say keep your best assets but be willing to move anything else to fill in the gaps this year.

I do not like the market this year. The biggest positions of need seem to be 1RW and 2C, neither of which will come cheap or have many options available. A LHD grouping of Grzelcyk, Reilly, and Forbort could be upgraded, but if you look at the defensive metrics for all three of those players, they have all been very effective.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll