(TBL/CHI) - 2x 1st, Katchouk, Raddysh for Hagel, 2x 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 18, 2022 at 8:21 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Mar. 18, 2022 at 8:37 p.m.
Quoting: Banks
We do not post trades until the details are officially announced.

I get that, it's just that it's a little frustrating considering that I had to leave and couldn't post my meme straight away.

I just have bad luck with these things, it's the 10th thing I missed in the past week. Not your guy's fault.
Rangsey liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 9:22 p.m.
I make typos
like I said what in the world are so salty about
Rangsey liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Orr28
Edited Mar. 23, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
Kyle "Sakic" Davidson with the steal.

You could say he.. hag(g)eled.. the Lightning.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
yippee
I see the overwhelming number of people that say Chicago won the trade hands-down, and while it certainly looks that way at first glance this is a much fairer trade than what might be assumed. "Two first-round picks?! I thought Brisebois was a smart GM, how could he spend that much on a guy like Hagel?!!??" That's what you all sound like right now. Again, that's completely understandable, but let's address this from top to bottom.

First, let us assume that Katchouk/Raddysh and the two 4ths cancel each other out. While that might not be completely true, it's a good way to simplify a trade like this without changing the value in any significant way. That leaves the trade as two TBL 1sts for Brandon Hagel. This may sound like a lot for a player of his caliber, but let's also look at the factors involved. These two firsts are almost guaranteed to land between 29th-32nd in the draft, and that devalues them a lot compared to other first-rounders. Even if the Lightning somehow fall apart and get a lottery pick in the next two seasons, no sweat. Top 10 protection on both. Nobody is expecting them to pull a 2019-20 SJS, but it's better safe than sorry. Now onto Hagel. The big selling point with Hagel is his contract and age. He's 23, locked up on a steal of a contract until 2024, and still under team control by the end of it. That's an amazing asset for a team to have when a player is producing like Hagel has been, and guess what? He may still have more to give. You play him on either of the Lightning's top 2 lines and he could be a point per game player as soon as next season. There's huge potential here for the Lightning. Even if he holds his current level of production, that's a top 6 forward under a steal of a contract until 2024 that expires as an RFA. Amazing asset, and a shrewd move by JBB to get a guy that can help the team during its cup window. Chicago gets a great return, Tampa gets a great asset. Good deal by both sides.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Quoting: Bdawwwgy1
am i the only one who doesnt like this trade for chicago? Hagel is super young and theres a big difference between giving up 2 firsts, and moving up from the early 4th to the late 1st. plus raddysh and katchouk are likely depth call up guys

Raddysh has been pretty good this year. Solid depth now and looks like hes just getting going. Plus, Chicago is a team that is screwing Fleury with 0 defensive help. Raddysh at 24 is already a pretty defensive forward. On top of that, there are first round picks. Sure, theyre gonna be late, but its another pick in the top 30 or so.

Hagel may only be 22, but thats kinda old for a team that is JUST starting a rebuild. Plus he's good. Truly rebuilding teams should not be trying to win games (look at Buffalo's last 10 years as to why). This is solid for the Hawks in that thinking.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: toque
What everyone said about Goodrow too.

Tampa secures their next Coleman for two late firsts and two 23 year olds. They're in win now mode, and their scouting staff will probably find the best player in the draft int he 6th round anyways lol.

In general guys like this on stupid cheap deals will go for more than bigger names in this flat cap world. As cap space is important

Hagel is 23 and is a cost effective 20 goal scorer for your top 9.
toque liked this.
Mar. 18, 2022 at 11:44 p.m.
Wild Fan
Holy overpay
Mar. 19, 2022 at 12:38 a.m.
Does this trade even happen if Stan is still GM? Idk. But, this is a massive W for the new guy.

As for Tampa. I love this trade. They're better today than they were yesterday. And they have cap certainty going into next season, especially b/c Brayden Point will see a 50% increase in AAV.

A+ trade all around for both teams. Fair Deal.
Mar. 19, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
Hagel's value was similar to Blake Coleman a couple years ago. Hagel had an extra season under contract, hence the extra pick. Very similar. And we all know what a great acquisition Coleman was.
Mar. 19, 2022 at 1:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I mean, it's risky ... but remember how Woodrow and Coleman worked out for TBL?
Mar. 19, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: TheCatKhan
One 20 goal season??

How about two 1st Round picks... not enough?

One 20 goal season where he's shooting an unsustainable 22%.
TheCatKhan liked this.
Mar. 19, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
This trade is probably going to be good for both teams, but I think there’s more chance of it working out well for Tampa Bay. A good young player who’s signed for multiple years on a cheap contract is the most valuable thing in this league. Hagel may not be a star, and it’s possible that he’ll never repeat what he’s done this season, but it seems reasonable to expect him to be a middle-6 contributor for several years. The Lightning won’t miss any of the assets they gave up (Katchouk and Raddysh probably would have ended up on waivers at some point anyway), except maybe from an opportunity cost perspective (clearing the cupboard of things they could have used in future trades). They kept this year’s first-round pick though, which surprises me because Chicago doesn’t have a first-round pick this year. You’d think they’d want one if they’re starting a rebuild. It makes me think Tampa has another move planned that they need that pick for.

I said a few days ago on the Blackhawks forum that I was surprised Chicago would want to trade Hagel with him being young enough to be part of a rebuild, but if they wanted to trade him, this was probably the perfect time to do it. Even if he continues his current rate of production, he’ll never be worth more than he is now, so you have to like their “buy low, sell high” strategy. Whether it was a good move will depend on what becomes of what they got for him. Katchouk and Raddysh are similar in age to Hagel (all born in 1998), so they could take his place in the rebuild if it turns out that they were just victims of Tampa Bay’s depth and can rise to another level in Chicago, but I don’t know how likely that is. I think the Lightning gave them a chance to crack the lineup this season and were not impressed. Late first rounders could go either way, and Chicago fans will have to wait a long time to see if they’ll pay off. They don’t need to hit a home run on both draft picks and both players, but Chicago needs a few things to go right for this to work out.
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 19, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Does this trade even happen if Stan is still GM? Idk. But, this is a massive W for the new guy.

This trade doesn't happen if Bowman didn't sign him to that contract last summer. That's what makes him valuable. Thank Bowman for the "buy low" and Davidson for the "sell high".
Brian2016 liked this.
Mar. 19, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Tampa spent less on Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller.

Sweet Jesus tears of joy

McDonagh or J.T. Miller signed for 3x$1.5m would have cost more than two late 1sts.

Admittedly, I didn't know who Hagel was at first and I saw this return and thought JBB was out of his mind, but looking at the contract, Hagel's age, and the way he plays, I completely understand. He doesn't expect Palat to take like the 80% discount he would need to stay in Tampa, and we don't have a prospect who is primed to replace him immediately, so if we don't want our window to shut a little more, then we just needed to get one and we needed it now. I'm stunned that he couldn't negotiate it further down, but I'm confident that he tried, Chicago wasn't budging because they didn't have to, and then ultimately did what he had to do and it's certainly better than leaving the table. This deal covers until the end of the Stamkos deal and the 2nd last year of the Hedman deal. Both deals end when the players are 34. So I think even though they're both on discounted contracts right now, if they want to stay in Tampa, that number is going down, not up. The cap will also start increasing again by then. So all that gives us the flexibility to re-sign Hagel and maybe get some UFAs to fill our holes and go for a couple of last runs before Point/Kucherov/Vasilevskiy age out too. If we don't do this deal, we would be left with some gaping holes and by the time the draft picks developed to fill those holes—if they did at all—we'd be right around the end of Stamkos/Hedman's deals when we might not be as desperate for the cheap contracts. We got someone we really needed to push us through the flat-cap era and by the time the losses come back to bite, we'll be in a position to fix that, with maybe some more Cups too. It's a win-win.
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
Chicago wins here, hands down, they get amazing value out of a middle six winger, but the way they won is they found 1 trade partner that needed specifically what they had to offer, and by making it clear they didn't need to move him allowed them to extract that price even if there was only one team willing to come close to the ask. Excellent move.

I don't think that makes it bad for Tampa, they basically decided they have limited draft capital for their remaining cup window, and Hagel has a cap hit and skill set that fits in well with the window that they are zeroed in on. They have 2 cups, they would love to 3 peat, but if they have 3 serious contending years left in this core, maximizing the opportunity to win 3 or even 4 cups with this core would solidify them as the most successfully run team in the modern era (I think they already are), so getting someone that can give them a few kicks at the can was worth paying a premium for.
Saskleaf and jr400 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Majors and minors
Either way, whether Hagel wins cup for Tampa or not, Chicago wins. It was Buff's draft pick.
Jan. 28, 2023 at 5:58 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: CoraStorm
Either way, whether Hagel wins cup for Tampa or not, Chicago wins. It was Buff's draft pick.

It always will be a huge win for CHI. Whether Tampa wins or not will be determined by if they win the cup. The value in this trade was way in favour of Chicago.
Jan. 29, 2023 at 12:00 a.m.
I make typos
Quoting: barzalsabeauty
The hurricanes won the Ethan bear for fougle trade by a landslide.

this aged badly
Jan. 29, 2023 at 4:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: oilersguy
this aged badly

I mean not really, Foegele isn't worth that contract. wasn't great for either team.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 12:30 a.m.
I make typos
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I mean not really, Foegele isn't worth that contract. wasn't great for either team.

thats what I mean, they didn't win it by a landslide
Jan. 30, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Kyle Davidson forgot how to GM after this
capsfan2121 and Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 30, 2023 at 8:41 p.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Kyle Davidson forgot how to GM after this

He got less for cost controlled and younger Kirby Dach than Canucks got for UFA Horvat that will demand insane money and probably have an anchor contract.
Feb. 14, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
He got less for cost controlled and younger Kirby Dach than Canucks got for UFA Horvat that will demand insane money and probably have an anchor contract.

Nazar will still end up better then Dach

Mark my words
Feb. 18, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk

Mark my words

Copium
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: IconicHawk

Mark my words

You can hope. He's been injured for his entire 19 YO season which is disastrous for development.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit