SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(PHI/FLA) - Giroux, Bunnaman, Rubtsov, 5th for Tippett, 1st, 3rd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 20, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
I honestly don't mind this for the Flyers considering the circumstances.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 1:54 a.m.
Great value for both teams since he would only go there. Giroux doesn't own PHI anything, he deserves the choice of course.
I can't understand why players don't want to go to Colorado though. Great city (for being a NA city) close to nature and the team with objectively the best chance to win. Most places have them around 25% and the second best team around 11%.
Fair deal.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 6:17 a.m.
Watches no games
Well, Florida is a problem
SoFlaSooner liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 6:43 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: OrganizedConfusion55
The reason the flyers have to wait until 2024, is for the fact you already pointed out, Montreal bas their 2023 1st, and the sabs have their 2022 1st. Pretty dumb question man.

I was making a point.

Maybe Chuck Fletcher should have picked up a phone and called Florida's front office about Giroux before the Habs did about Chiarot??

Maybe Fletcher should have not waited until two days before the deadline and maybe instead, engage in trade talks when the Flyers started tanking??

Why does there need to be no lottery protection on the 2023 first in the trade for Chiarot, but top 10 protection on the 2024 first in the trade for Giroux??

Why should the Habs get more value out of a trade for Chiarot while the Flyers get less value out of a trade for Giroux??

Claude Giroux is the greatest Philadelphia Flyer of all time, aside from Bobby Clarke.

Ben Chiarot is nothing more than a pylon that will play on Florida's bottom pair with Brandon Montour.

What excuses could you possibly come up with if you're Chuck Fletcher??
Mar. 20, 2022 at 7:55 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: sensonfire
I was making a point.

Maybe Chuck Fletcher should have picked up a phone and called Florida's front office about Giroux before the Habs did about Chiarot??

Maybe Fletcher should have not waited until two days before the deadline and maybe instead, engage in trade talks when the Flyers started tanking??

Why does there need to be no lottery protection on the 2023 first in the trade for Chiarot, but top 10 protection on the 2024 first in the trade for Giroux??

Why should the Habs get more value out of a trade for Chiarot while the Flyers get less value out of a trade for Giroux??

Claude Giroux is the greatest Philadelphia Flyer of all time, aside from Bobby Clarke.

Ben Chiarot is nothing more than a pylon that will play on Florida's bottom pair with Brandon Montour.

Giroux wanted to play his 1000th game as a Flyer and held complete control of where he was willing to go. Montreal was able to get a deal done before Giroux was willing to leave so not much Fletcher could do to get a better deal out of Florida. Considering the circumstances, the return isn't bad.
sensonfire and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 8:13 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Giroux was ultimately the decider in the trade. Can't really do anything but ask for Mackie. If Florida doesn't want to include him (and they didn't), his best option is to take the next best available. I'm not really holding my breath on Owen Tippett, but he's still relatively young and maybe the change of scenery will be beneficial. He also has red hair so that is a plus. The 1st rounder won't be here for a while but the Flyers aren't going to be contending anytime soon.

End of the day the Flyers got a 1st rounder for three months of Giroux. Still decent enough to make the move.

I'd actually argue that CF did a good job having so much smoke coming from Colorado even leading up to the initial announcement of Florida being the destination.

I agree. This was more about the Flyers thanking Giroux for his 15 years of dedication to the city and the team by granting his wish to go to a contender than what they could get for him. If he really did announce publically that he would only agree to a trade to Florida (I missed that), then they were lucky they got as much as they did. Their only options were to keep him and get nothing, or take whatever Florida offered, and I don’t think they would have kept him because that’s not what he wanted.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 8:19 a.m.

Because Chiarot didn't have a no-move clause that he was only willing to waive for one team. Montreal was able to drive up the price with a bidding war. Philadelphia was not.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 8:26 a.m.
Why do the Flyers need to wait until 2024 for Florida's 1st in the Giroux trade ...

but the Habs only need to wait until 2023 for Florida's 1st in the Chiarot trade??

Probably for no other reason than Montreal got there first. If the Giroux deal came first then Philadelphia probably would have got the earlier pick.

The consolation is that the farther out the pick is, the greater chance Florida will no longer be a contender and the pick will be earlier in the round (but hopefully not in the top 10, or they'll have to wait another year).
Mar. 20, 2022 at 9:51 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: jr400
Because Chiarot didn't have a no-move clause that he was only willing to waive for one team. Montreal was able to drive up the price with a bidding war. Philadelphia was not.

In that case, Florida should have known this and put Philly into a "Taylor Hall-like situation" like in the last trade deadline.

That means instead of Philly getting Tippett, a first and a third ...

Philly would only get Tippett and a second for Giroux et al.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
sen krak fan
This is actually an underpayment.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 10:02 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: jr400
Probably for no other reason than Montreal got there first. If the Giroux deal came first then Philadelphia probably would have got the earlier pick.

The consolation is that the farther out the pick is, the greater chance Florida will no longer be a contender and the pick will be earlier in the round (but hopefully not in the top 10, or they'll have to wait another year).

Like you said, the kicker is that Philly might have to wait until 2025 if Florida's 2024 1st is in the top 10.

That's a 3 year wait after trading the 2nd best player in the team's history.

Whereas there is no lottery protection on Florida's 2023 1st whatsoever.

Which now belongs to the Habs.

Also, if a team requires consolation after a trade, that usually means they got fleeced.

Bigly.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
Fletcher made one food deal for Ellis (who unfortunately got injured), and has been really, really bad otherwise. Like really bad
Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:03 a.m.
I was making a point.

Whoa that's a little much re Giroux for the Flyers. He may mean that much to his team, but he's nowhere near the player Lindros was
sensonfire liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:53 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Florida is serious good
SoFlaSooner and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i read he was only willing to waive for florida so i voted philly. still getting a 1st and tippett is a good haul all things considered.

Well me and you are 2 out of the 12 smart people that voted W for Phi.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
Edited Mar. 20, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
I was making a point.

Mar. 20, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Felicenapoli93
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Not even close to being the worst GM in the Nhl, is this your first day here ?

Who's closer? This season only he turned Giroux, Gostisbehere, Voracek, Rubstov, Hagg, Bunnaman, a 1st, two 2nds and a 5th into Owen Tippett, Ristolainen, Atkinson a 1st and a 3rd. He is awful
Mar. 20, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
The fact that Florida possibly has the most overvalued rental of the deadline, and now likely the most undervalued (relative to his ability to contribute), is just peak NHL silliness. Good times.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 4:08 p.m.
I was making a point.

Point is pointless. Florida didn't have one sooner. And giroux wanted to go to Florida.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
sensonfire
Point is pointless. Florida didn't have one sooner. And giroux wanted to go to Florida.

Your commentary doesn't change the fact Florida won the trade convincingly.

I understand you're upset and appear to be lashing out at a total stranger because Buffalo got fleeced by Florida in the Sam Reinhart trade.

I think you need to get over it.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.
Log off the internet
Quoting: LeafsForLife
It would cool to see that in the first round (if that happened, the Leafs would win the Atlantic, and if would probably play Boston, again). It would also be ironic if the Battle of Florida never happened this year because Toronto eliminates the Panthers or Lightning and finally breaks through the first round.

i mean it's always good to shoot for the stars ig
Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
Edited Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:33 p.m.
Your commentary doesn't change the fact Florida won the trade convincingly.

I understand you're upset and appear to be lashing out at a total stranger because Buffalo got fleeced by Florida in the Sam Reinhart trade.

I think you need to get over it.

LMAO, your takes are clueless, and your points are pointless, I dont envy the misses.

Where are the sens? Oh yeah below the sabres.

Fun fact: The Senators are the 3rd most popular hockey team in Ottawa.
Mar. 20, 2022 at 11:56 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
LMAO, your takes are clueless, and your points are pointless, I dont envy the misses.

Where are the sens? Oh yeah below the sabres.

Fun fact: The Senators are the 3rd most popular hockey team in Ottawa.

* Don't envy the misses like that apostrophe.

Also, make sure to circle your calendar for the day when your playoff drought turns 11 years old.

I hear it's a milestone in Sabres history.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:34 a.m.
* Don't envy the misses like that apostrophe.

Also, make sure to circle your calendar for the day when your playoff drought turns 11 year old.

I hear it's a milestone in Sabres history.

What, where are the sens again? Oh, that's right, they're still doing worse than the sabres.
Jul. 25, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: capsfan2121
Well you see here.

Lehky is about to get two first and will be insane in the playoffs and ruin what is called realistic value. We are in for a a pricey deadline,

I find it kinda funny that you were 100% on the money with that comment.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit