Poll Options

Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
yippee
who just voted St. Louis

cmon, get out here and show yourself
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
Pop Pop
Yzerman gets a 2nd back so it fixes the failed experiment of leddy in detroit. I'm sure walman will get a pretty good look for the rest of the season since our defense is a mess.
Roysboy72 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:53 p.m.
Red wings
Guys…help me understand how wings won this trade?? Sorry haven’t followed closely this year.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Roysboy72
who just voted St. Louis

cmon, get out here and show yourself

Pretty sure it was Doug Armstrong.
rebecca liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
That's how bad the trade is, even us Blues fans can't vote for it.

Oh dear. Someone just voted “St. Louis”. Whomever this is, may we have a word? We have some forms to fill out for you regarding your new “home”.
Chopper02 liked this.
yippee
Quoting: Smitty2022
Guys…help me understand how wings won this trade?? Sorry haven’t followed closely this year.

Leddy was acquired for a 2nd rounder from the Isles before this season, and since then he hasn't really been a great fit with the Wings. He's still decent and the skill is there, but his stock has gone through the floor. Getting a 2nd back for a player that has declined as much as he has is a big win, then adding Walman and Sundqvist on top sweetens the deal to the extreme. Witkowski is pretty much a throw-in.
mokumboi
Pure idiocy by Army. Nothing less.
Roysboy72 and Blueman96 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
I think there are times when the defensive inefficiencies appear to be rooted in a lack of physical, net-front play but could actually be resolved by getting cleaner exits and better transition play. So I don't mind adding Leddy to see if he can provide a boost in that regard.

But it feels like the Blues got Yzerman'd into giving up Sunny instead of Scandella, all things considered. The 2nd rounder on top of two solid players hurts. Almost makes me wonder if the deal was done but then nixed by Scandella's NTC and Army panicked and swapped in Sunny. It wasn't long ago that Sunny was regarded like a Lehkonen or Nichushkin, a two-way guy you can play anywhere in the lineup and get results from his energy/defense. As soon as he's fully recovered from his surgery I'd expect him to return to that level of player.

So overall, I think there are some positives but it's an L for the Blues. Especially if they give any sort of extension to Leddy. The best thing to come from the trade might be some more cap flexibility heading into the offseason. Could be key in keeping Husso or Perron, for example. But for right now, the team addressed the defense and should have some flexibility in the offseason. Just wish they didn't call Stevie Y to make it happen.
Roysboy72 and Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
Red wings
Thanks So much!!!

Leddy was acquired for a 2nd rounder from the Isles before this season, and since then he hasn't really been a great fit with the Wings. He's still decent and the skill is there, but his stock has gone through the floor. Getting a 2nd back for a player that has declined as much as he has is a big win, then adding Walman and Sundqvist on top sweetens the deal to the extreme. Witkowski is pretty much a throw-in.
Roysboy72 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
I do not have the words to express how awful this trade is and how much I hate it.

I wouldn't want Nick Leddy for any of these pieces INDIVIDUALLY much less ALL of them. WTF Army?! What are you doing?! Nick Leddy is NOT good.
Thunderlax35 and mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
sensonfire
Out goes

Pánik
Witkowski
2nd round pick

In comes

Sundqvist
Walman
2nd round pick

STEVIE Y IN THE OFFICE, BABY!!!! rock on
Mar. 21, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
STEVE YZERMAN FLEECES YET AGAIN

I love this man, how does he do it every time?
Wings fans eating well tonight

Sure .... But Yzerman did pay a 2nd round pick to Get Nick Leddy last summer ....

And I doubt he's going to draft someone as good as Aatu Raty looks right now.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
STL definitely lost and I voted Detroit but it's not a fleece IMO considering the cap space they get after this year and all the injury issues with Sunny. Not sure how high Walman's ceiling is also. Leddy isn't exactly the defenseman we needed but he'll help I think. Not ideal tho.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 5:48 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: drewjenkins
Sure .... But Yzerman did pay a 2nd round pick to Get Nick Leddy last summer ....

And I doubt he's going to draft someone as good as Aatu Raty looks right now.

Yeah that's what kills me about the whole Leddy experiment. Raty could end up being an absolute stud
Mar. 21, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: TheBoyDuddus
So Detroit gets paid a 2nd to take Leddy on and then ship him right back out with 50% retained for another 2nd?? Yzerman stays winning.

They actually gave up a 2nd to get him, but this is a nice trade for DET
Mar. 21, 2022 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
They actually gave up a 2nd to get him, but this is a nice trade for DET

Oh good catch, could’ve sworn they got paid for taking the contract on. Still a decent swap but the fact that the pick they sent out originally was Raty and the one that they got back isn’t for another 3 drafts isn’t ideal.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:09 p.m.
Robert Thomas Szn
I...actually don't think this is that bad. It's not great...but Sundqvist has been on a decline since the cup win, and Berube isn't too keen on Walman. Plus, the Blues play a game that Leddy likes to play.

Detroit still wins, but this isn't the absolute fleecing that a lot of people are saying it is.
Drepere liked this.
Mar. 22, 2022 at 1:04 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
This guy's a Clone of Krug.
Leddy should've gotten a 3rd, but then st louis puts a 2nd, adds a useful bottom 6er in sundqvist, and an okay 7th D.
2nd + Walman + Scandella would've, ade wayyy more sense imo
Mar. 22, 2022 at 3:38 a.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
Yeah that's what kills me about the whole Leddy experiment. Raty could end up being an absolute stud

Irrelevant. The wings passed on Raty 3 times. There's nothing to point they would have picked him with that pick anyway.
TheWolfe and Saskleaf liked this.
May 4, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.
Looking back it's not that bad anymore. Leddy has provided a steady puck drive for the Blues. Fits very well surprisingly.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 6, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Shylo_Moxii
Looking back it's not that bad anymore. Leddy has provided a steady puck drive for the Blues. Fits very well surprisingly.

Still more than they should have, but yes, it looks at least decent.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Jun. 8, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
In the end, Leddy ended up looking much better for the Blues than he ever did for the Wings. And with all the injuries they had on the blue line, the depth really helped them. Had Binner not gotten hurt, they had a legitimate shot to at least get the series to 7. And if they somehow managed to beat Colorado, I'm sure they would have rolled Edmonton. Would not be that shocked to see Leddy re-sign in STL this off season.
Saskleaf and Drepere liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit