SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Why Toronto has a hard time getting out of the 1st round

Mar. 23, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
RANKERS
#1 ISSUE:
Tampa's defenseman. I know that it is a narrative to suggest that size matters in hockey now but it does when it comes to defence in the playoffs. We have seen this for 2 years now. Tampa's defencemen are not only big, but are mobile and good puck movers. All 6 starting tampa defence are above 6'0 with 4/6 being 215 pounds and up. Hedman is around 240 pounds, Sergachev is around 215, McDonough is around 220. This is hard to play against when forchecking is crucial in playoffs.

This team doesn't make mistakes very often but when they do, the BIG CAT is in net and will save them. Finally, Tampa as acquired Paul and Hagel who are gritty and somewhat fast. I'm not sure Toronto's 4th and 3rd line match Tampa's skill.

#2 ISSUE:
In my opinion with the addition of Muzzin and Giordano, I believe Toronto can handle nearly any team defensively however, outside of the Mathews - Bunting - Marner line... Toronto cant handle the depth of Florida. They most likely have the best 3rd line in the league and the Tavares line on the second line won't be able to handle the speed of Duclair, the physicality of Bennet, or the skill of Huberdeau.

#3 ISSUE:
Toronto will most likely be in the #2-#4 range of the Atlantic division meaning either Tampa or Florida is likely as well as Boston. Boston isn't a big concern, out of the 3 of them as a Toronto fan I would rather play Boston. Toronto will have to deal with either Tampa or Floria to make conference finals. Either way Toronto will have to control a situation I believe they can't handle by playing against the big bad 6 of Tampa's back end or taking on the top 12 forwards against Florida.

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN FOR TORONTO TO WIN THE ATLANTIC DIVISION TITLE IN PLAYOFFS:
- MATHEWS NEEDS TO STEP UP AND CONTINUE HIS DOMINATION.
- CAMPBELL NEEDS TO RETURN TO VEZINA FORM AS HE WAS FROM SEPTEMBER TO DECEMBER.
- MITCH MARNER NEEDS TO SHOW UP IN THE PLAYOFFS.
- GIORDANO, HOLL, MUZZIN NEED TO STEP UP AS THE DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN AND PHYSICAL PLAYERS IN THE PLAYOFFS.

BEST OF LUCK MAPLE LEAFS! - RANKERS
Mar. 23, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
Go leafs go
Carolina is a potential matchup too.

In terms of which team I'd like to play the most, my rankings would be:

1. Boston
2. Carolina
3. Florida
4. Tampa
Mar. 23, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
CHI NYI
It's gonna be really interesting to see if this is finally the year for the Leafs. It's arguably the best team they've had in the Matthews Era, but they're also gonna be going up against the most loaded version of the Atlantic division in that time too. Their first round series will be must watch TV for sure
Mar. 23, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
Leafs can't even beat habs tears of joy
Mar. 23, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Taz
Leafs can't even beat habs tears of joy

habs also tried to compete this year and are 32nd, an unintentional tank
Rankers liked this.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Saskleaf
Carolina is a potential matchup too.

In terms of which team I'd like to play the most, my rankings would be:

1. Boston
2. Carolina
3. Florida
4. Tampa

the gap between wanting to play tampa and florida is huge lol
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: vr1995
habs also tried to compete this year and are 32nd, an unintentional tank

Wanna talk about how much you tanked to get Matthews/Marner? :P
Yeah we're dead last, but we've won a few playoffs in the last 10-15 years
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Banned
Wanna talk about how much you tanked to get Matthews/Marner? :P
Yeah we're dead last, but we've won a few playoffs in the last 10-15 years

we intentionally tanked, you guys went into this year with intention of competing and are dead last lmao
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
Go leafs go
the gap between wanting to play tampa and florida is huge lol

Yes, I'd rather play Florida personally.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:15 p.m.
Banned
Yes, I'd rather play Florida personally.

Vasa is the guy who scares me the most
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:19 p.m.
we intentionally tanked, you guys went into this year with intention of competing and are dead last lmao

Yeah sure. Saying it was intentionnal is the best excuse.
Anyways, that tank didn't allow you some playoffs success (which montreal had without tanking)

And yeah having 3 guys of our top 4 being injured + our goaltender gave us a rough season.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.
Go leafs go
Vasa is the guy who scares me the most

I agree. Florida's goaltending is honestly not much better, if at all better than Toronto's. It doesn't get talked about enough. Meanwhile Tampa has a literal brick wall in net.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Banned
Yeah sure. Saying it was intentionnal is the best excuse.
Anyways, that tank didn't allow you some playoffs success (which montreal had without tanking)

And yeah having 3 guys of our top 4 being injured + our goaltender gave us a rough season.

it was lol, we didnt trade a 1st round pick for a guy like you guys did, when you do that, youre trying to compete. this was even after shea and carey were expected out so they were still trying to compete and are dead last, so now the injuries are an excuse although they knew they were going to be injured
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Banned
I agree. Florida's goaltending is honestly not much better, if at all better than Toronto's. It doesn't get talked about enough. Meanwhile Tampa has a literal brick wall in net.

better than mrazek thats for sure lmao, but jacks numbers the past 2 years have been similar if not better than bobs
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
better than mrazek thats for sure lmao, but jacks numbers the past 2 years have been similar if not better than bobs

Yup lol.
Mar. 23, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 23, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
The main issue and Shanny was right on the ball is killer instinct. They get a lead in a series then either dont play like they did in the games to get that lead or make a stupid descision (Chucky and Dermott in OT gm 5 and 6) and cost them. We saw it against Boston, CBJ, and MTL, had a series lead and then in the game that could have got them over the edge either didnt show up till it was to late or didnt even show up period.

Muzzin also had alot to do with it as notice he kept getting hurt, nobody could fill in and we were ****ed.

This year if the big boyz show up and if goaltending and defense can hold up were set. And with Gio as Muzzin insurance got a feeling we will be better than in previous years. Wont be easy but if everything comes together got a feeling we will be just fine

Also if what people are saying is true Gio may give us the Spezza treatment and sign a cheap extension to stay. Man that will be awesome if he does that.
Trickster and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 25, 2022 at 10:07 p.m.
Yes, there are some concerns, and the odds may be against them with the juggernauts in their division (dropping into a wild-card spot and crossing over to the Metro wouldn’t be a cakewalk either), but if Gio fits in well and they get healthy and hot at the right time, they can beat anybody.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll