Forums/Armchair-GM

Youth movement

Created by: Icedragon4405
Team: 2022-23 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 29, 2022
Published: Mar. 29, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Why did we trade Sprong for an old guy who can barely play anymore. WHY DIDN’T WE TRADE FOR AN ESTABLISHED GOALIE!!!

Also this thread is assuming Alexeyev isn’t ready next year or he is injured or whatever. It is just assuming he doesn’t start the year in the NHL

I like McMichael but he hasn’t done much and looks like he needs more seasoning so next year give him another year in the A then when Sheary’s deal is up bring up McMichael
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$835,000
3$875,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$3,000,000
4$3,500,000
1$775,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Eller, Lars
  2. Vanecek, Vitek [RFA Rights]
  3. 2022 5th round pick (WSH)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$67,397,501$100,000$82,500$15,102,499

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$791,667$791,667
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 29, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
A_Caps18
No way you put sheary at center, signed subban, signed holtby, and took mcmichael out of the lineup completely
TM11 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
LifeLongOilFan
Lifelong Oilers fan as well as Capitals fan for reference, Konovalov is having a bit of a difficult time adjusting to North America and is still a couple years away from being good to go. Carter Savoie is almost just very slowly turning into kind of a bust? He for sure is not developing the way we had anticipated. Oilers would do this ALL DAY LONG.
Icedragon4405 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: YEGBRAD
Lifelong Oilers fan as well as Capitals fan for reference, Konovalov is having a bit of a difficult time adjusting to North America and is still a couple years away from being good to go. Carter Savoie is almost just very slowly turning into kind of a bust? He for sure is not developing the way we had anticipated. Oilers would do this ALL DAY LONG.

Uh, what? This could not be farther from the truth.
Ausbear17 and Timmah007 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
LifeLongOilFan
Quoting: CD282
Uh, what? This could not be farther from the truth.

Konovalov has an .893 and a 2.78 in the AHL so far. I literally listen to hockey podcasts and tsn 1260 in edmonton all day long. yes, Broberg and Holloway are the next big 2 names Oilers are banking on. Also yes Savoie is a PPG player but in the U of Denver. NCHA not in the NCAA.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
Konovalov has an .893 and a 2.78 in the AHL so far. I literally listen to hockey podcasts and tsn 1260 in edmonton all day long. yes, Broberg and Holloway are the next big 2 names Oilers are banking on. Also yes Savoie is a PPG player but in the U of Denver. NCHA not in the NCAA.

What more should be expecting of Savoie? Think it’s FAR too soon to use the term bust. Can’t even really evaluate him until gets 50-60 games under his belt in Bakersfield.
Ausbear17 and Icedragon4405 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Denver is playing in the Frozen Four and Savoie was just named to the NCAA West All-Tournament team... Far from a bust.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.

NCHC is one of the NCAA divisions - the best one, in fact. Savoie's NHLe's the past 2 years are similar to Cole Caufield's at the same age - that's WELL above expectations for a 4th round pick. He's literally a Hobey Baker nominee right now, which is reasonable considering he's 4th in all NCAA in goals as a 2002 birthday. The 3 guys ahead of him are 1997 and 1999 birthdays, and only one plays in NCHC, the other 2 are in easier divisions.

NHLe Draft+1
Savoie: 19-11-30
Caufield: 14-13-27

NHLe Draft+2
Savoie: 22-21-43
Caufield: 26-20-46

Turning into a kind of bust? Not developing as anticipated? Nothing could be further from the truth. Carter Savoie is far exceeding expectations and quickly becoming one of the Oilers top prospects.
Ausbear17 and Gary_The_Bettman liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
For sure Edmonton isn't interested in Lars Eller. They have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as their 3C and they don't have any extra cap space, so they aren't taking that contract. Vanecek for Savoie? That's probably something they'd consider.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.

Wait. So Savoie who is a 4th round pick who is a Sop. in NCAA, who has the same PPG as Kent Johnson and Matty Beniers is a bust?
Ausbear17 and CD282 liked this.
Mar. 29, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
twentyeighteen
I think the answer to your first half of your first sentence under 'Team Explanation' is on your roster here in Joe Snively. Bmac likes his two way game and he's opportunistic and is not afraid to be net front either. His game is more complete than Sprong's already although not the sniper...
Mar. 30, 2022 at 8:45 a.m.
Icedragon4405
For sure Edmonton isn't interested in Lars Eller. They have Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as their 3C and they don't have any extra cap space, so they aren't taking that contract. Vanecek for Savoie? That's probably something they'd consider.

Thanks for the feedback. You suggest it be a 1 for 1 kind of deal. Vanecek for Savoie?
Mar. 30, 2022 at 9:09 a.m.
Quoting: Icedragon4405
Thanks for the feedback. You suggest it be a 1 for 1 kind of deal. Vanecek for Savoie?

It depends on how highly Holland thinks of Vanecek. I'm not sure I'd trade a Caufield-level prospect for Vanecek, but they may feel that the immediate help in net is worth it.

Personally I don't think Vanecek moves the needle enough to give up a high quality prospect, but Holland might.
Mar. 30, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Almost none of this actually improves the Capitals.

1. Washington should not be trading Vanecek (or Samsonov for that matter). Vanecek is a far better goalie than Holtby at this stage. All Holtby does is cater to nostalgia and fitting buzzwords like being “established”, while his stats are worse than Vanecek’s.

2. Eller leaving should allow McMichael to play full time, not be sent to Hershey. He’s been pretty decent this year, and though he struggles with defense at times, that’s a problem that will be fixed as he gets more NHL time. Sheary at center is not a viable option.

3. Hell no to that Mikheyev contract, you know we have 4 expiring NHL contracts on defense alone the year after this? Giving a 4 x 3.5 to a 3rd liner when you already have a far cheaper and better solution by going Snively-McMichael-Sheary would be a massive mistake.

4. Sprong needed to be traded, he lost his goal scoring touch even before being scratched and was god awful on defense. The Capitals should have gotten more for him, but let’s not pretend he was going to be an integral part of the next 5 years in DC.

5. There is no reason to sign Subban, he’s an aging defenseman that plays a game that doesn’t fit on the third pairing, and again there is a cheaper option that is just as good, by going Johansen/Alexeyev-TvR.

6. I can’t see Hagelin being on LTIR to start next season, at least not on the Caps LTIR. Laviolette loves Snively and seems to really like AJF, which would likely be the final nail in the Hagelin coffin.

Washington needs to be looking at playing more quality youth and not spending out the ass this off-season so they have enough money to bring back Orlov, Jensen, Fehervary, and the other expiring UFAs in just over a year’s time.
Mar. 30, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
Icedragon4405
It depends on how highly Holland thinks of Vanecek. I'm not sure I'd trade a Caufield-level prospect for Vanecek, but they may feel that the immediate help in net is worth it.

Personally I don't think Vanecek moves the needle enough to give up a high quality prospect, but Holland might.

I agree. While I wouldn’t put Savoie on the same level as Caufield he is still a a high quality prospect. I feel like the oilers would entertain the deal because they need a young goalie who can start and win games
Mar. 30, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
I agree. While I wouldn’t put Savoie on the same level as Caufield he is still a a high quality prospect. I feel like the oilers would entertain the deal because they need a young goalie who can start and win games

Personally I feel like they've already found that guy in 23-year-old Stuart Skinner, whose numbers are already as good as the 26-year-old Vanecek's.

SS: 2.62 GAA, .913 sv%, +0.074 GSAx/60
VV: 2.56 GAA, .914 sv%, +0.016 GSAx/60

Not sure why they'd need to spend a high-end asset on Vanecek when there are competent veteran free agents available for nothing to act as mentor and backup to Skinner.
Ausbear17 liked this.
Mar. 30, 2022 at 10:46 a.m.
Icedragon4405
Quoting: NoVaSpartan

1. Washington should not be trading Vanecek (or Samsonov for that matter). Vanecek is a far better goalie than Holtby at this stage. All Holtby does is cater to nostalgia and fitting buzzwords like being “established”, while his stats are worse than Vanecek’s.

2. Eller leaving should allow McMichael to play full time, not be sent to Hershey. He’s been pretty decent this year, and though he struggles with defense at times, that’s a problem that will be fixed as he gets more NHL time. Sheary at center is not a viable option.

3. Hell no to that Mikheyev contract, you know we have 4 expiring NHL contracts on defense alone the year after this? Giving a 4 x 3.5 to a 3rd liner when you already have a far cheaper and better solution by going Snively-McMichael-Sheary would be a massive mistake.

4. Sprong needed to be traded, he lost his goal scoring touch even before being scratched and was god awful on defense. The Capitals should have gotten more for him, but let’s not pretend he was going to be an integral part of the next 5 years in DC.

5. There is no reason to sign Subban, he’s an aging defenseman that plays a game that doesn’t fit on the third pairing, and again there is a cheaper option that is just as good, by going Johansen/Alexeyev-TvR.

6. I can’t see Hagelin being on LTIR to start next season, at least not on the Caps LTIR. Laviolette loves Snively and seems to really like AJF, which would likely be the final nail in the Hagelin coffin.

Washington needs to be looking at playing more quality youth and not spending out the ass this off-season so they have enough money to bring back Orlov, Jensen, Fehervary, and the other expiring UFAs in just over a year’s time.

To me the big problem is goaltending, Samsonov may meet his potential but he hasn’t yet and they have a closing window. vV is good and his numbers are ok but he still isn’t a consistent solid goaltending. He doesn’t seem to be the goalie who will consistently play well. He also doesn’t seem to be the goalie who will win big games. I feel like he is at his ceiling and he would be a solid back-up. But they aren’t going anywhere with this goaltending unless SamSonov finds his potential. I do agree we needed to trade Sprong so he could use his skill in a system that suits him better. But it should have been for something important. Mojo has not done anything and he is just taking up ice time.
Mar. 30, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan

To me the big problem is goaltending, Samsonov may meet his potential but he hasn’t yet and they have a closing window. vV is good and his numbers are ok but he still isn’t a consistent solid goaltending. He doesn’t seem to be the goalie who will consistently play well. He also doesn’t seem to be the goalie who will win big games. I feel like he is at his ceiling and he would be a solid back-up. But they aren’t going anywhere with this goaltending unless SamSonov finds his potential. I do agree we needed to trade Sprong so he could use his skill in a system that suits him better. But it should have been for something important. Mojo has not done anything and he is just taking up ice time.

Yeah this team / take is pretty overall awful...What NoVA Spartan said is pretty spot on. I wasn't going to comment, because my thoughts would be just reiterating that post...
But your sentence on Mojo...He literally just arrived ~4 games ago...
Oh and Sheary playing center - he doesn't. I assume that is just a mistake. And McMichael, although I do agree with you that he has lacked finish, won't be sent down to AHL after playing a full year in the bigs...
Mar. 30, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Icedragon4405
Quoting: All_Knowing
Yeah this team / take is pretty overall awful...What NoVA Spartan said is pretty spot on. I wasn't going to comment, because my thoughts would be just reiterating that post...
But your sentence on Mojo...He literally just arrived ~4 games ago...
Oh and Sheary playing center - he doesn't. I assume that is just a mistake. And McMichael, although I do agree with you that he has lacked finish, won't be sent down to AHL after playing a full year in the bigs...

I just feel like McMichael has as he said struggled defensively but has also not reallly produced offensively.
All_Knowing liked this.
Mar. 30, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
I just feel like McMichael has as he said struggled defensively but has also not reallly produced offensively.

I do agree with you on that. Maybe it is just a rookie / not playing center thing...? Not sure
Mar. 30, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Do it now!
"Youth Movement" ... signs Subban and Holtby?
Mar. 31, 2022 at 7:42 a.m.
Icedragon4405
Quoting: All_Knowing
I do agree with you on that. Maybe it is just a rookie / not playing center thing...? Not sure

Yeah, I like him, I think he has a lot of skill and potential I just feel like it hasn’t worked out this year yet
All_Knowing liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll