SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2 Round Mock Draft

2 Round Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: BruinsFan35
Published: Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:43 a.m.
Description
Posting this because I finally finished updating my draft guide! In total, there are currently 366 profiles on the guide. you can find it at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1RzNMz5ZHa26mgLprz-fbn1V5_JOUAc94GrZrpz9suW4/edit?usp=sharing

This will be a MOCK DRAFT, not a prospect ranking. The details on each pick is more to explain why the team picks the player, if you want to see my thoughts about the player, check out the draft guide.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Absolute no-brainer here. Far and away the best player in the draft class. It's all but a given that he goes number one, to whichever team is lucky enough to land him.
2Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-This pick is interesting: The Habs don't really need a future #1 center with Suzuki already on the team. That being said, you can't pass up an opportunity to get a prospect like Logan Cooley. And, who knows? With the new regime in Montreal, they may want a new face of the franchise.
3Logo of the Seattle Kraken-I think that Matt Savoie is the better prospect right now over Nemec, but the Kraken have a forte #21 Center and don't have much of anything on defense in terms of prospects. Nemec can be the face of their blue line very soon.
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Senators have pretty much everything in terms of prospects, they go BPA. Savoie is an obvious pick.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-I think that there are better winger prospects at this spot in the draft, but none of the other guys available or worth taking at this spot provide the Flyer's style of player like Slafkovsky. They will have to wait a couple of years I think, but the potential is definitely worth it.
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-The injury concerns around Jiricek worry me, but not too much to warrant this pick being someone else. The Devils desperately need need right-shot defenders in their prospect pool. Jiricek has the upside to be a future top pair guy. Perfect pair of team and player.
7Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksIt's not that the Blue Jackets necessarily need another winger, but how do you let a top prospect continue to slip past you? You don't. The prospect of having Bjorkstrand, Laine, Chinakhov, Kemell, and Kent Johnson as future wingers on your team should be more than enough food for thought to warrant making this selection.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-The Sabres have no real needs in terms of prospects, so take the guy who can do pretty much everything. It's not really BPA; there are guys who I'd value higher than Nazar at this spot. But his versatility and well-rounded game make him an easy player to slot in to the lineup that will be full of top prospects in a couple of years.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-I was torn here between Yurov and Lambert. Decided on Lambert because I think that the youth on the left wing is weaker than on the right wing in Detroit's system. Lambert fills that hole.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Yurov adds an element of physicality and sandpaper to a forward group of mainly skilled players. This is a pick that's both BPA and fills a need. Perfect match.
11Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Some people will call this pick a reach: I think that Mateychuk is a top 10 player in this class. And besides Ferraro, the Sharks need reinforcements on that left side of defense.
12Logo of the New York Islanders-The Isles are an older team going head-first into a rebuild. They don't really have anybody to be a future top left winger for them. Howard fills that need. I probably would've preferred a left-shot defender at this pick, but there's no one left worth taking this high with Mateychuk off of the board.
13Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-The Blue Jacket's first pick filled a position that was more of a surplus, going with the BPA. This pick fills an actual need. McGroarty and Sillinger as the future 1-2 punch down the middle will be formidable and will be more than enough to help the Blue Jackets back into the playoff picture.
14Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-With rumors swirling around Boeser's future with the Canucks, they won't have a replacement winger on that right side (Podkolzin is better as a left winger). Lekkerimaki will fill that role, and has the ability to play center as well if need be.
15Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Jets need to go defenseman with this pick: their forwards are good enough, but their pipeline on the blue line is weak. Nelson will provide them with a great prospect to groom into a future top 4 role.
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsThe Sabres can go BPA with this pick, they double up at forward with this pick. Geekie adds some size and physicality to their future forward group.
17Logo of the Dallas Stars-This pick would be considered a reach to most, including myself. But, the Stars only really need right-shot defenders in their pipeline, and Chesley is the best one of the remaining group.
18Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers need defensemen, Bichsel is the best one left available. Easy pick. The future left side of Bribers and Bichsel on their top 4 is enticing for the Oilers to consider.
19Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-I had the Kings go best non-center available. To me, that's Persson. No real explanation for the pick, that's it.
20Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Mintyukov fills the Blues' need for defensemen in their system, and will provide a nice 1-2 punch on that left side with Perunovich.
21Logo of the Nashville Predators-Predators need a future top six center to pair with Svechkov. Del Bel Belluz, despite a more recent run of poor offensive form, is still the best center available in my opinion, making this pick rather easy to make.
22Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Capitals need pretty much everything in their system, as they've been competitive for so long, they don't have much talent in their prospect pool. I think that is especially true on the defensive side of their prospects. Forsmark projects as a future middle pair defenseman. You can ask for much better than that at this stage of the first round.
23Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild don't really need much of anything in their prospect pool. So, BPA. That's Kasper in my opinion.
24Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsWasn't sure what to do with this pick, opted for another gritty, sansdpaper-type winger that will add another element to Anaheim's forward group. He could go even higher than this if he closes out the season as well as he's been playing for the past month or so.
25Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary FlamesDumais may be considered a reach to some at this spot, but not to me. He's lit up the QMJHL this year, and despite his size, I think he will be an effective top six NHL winger. And Right wing is currently the weakest position group the Habs have in terms of youth (No one of note outside of Caufield). I don't think that Martin St. Louis will mind picking up an undersized but extremely skilled winger.
26Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Personally, I have Pickering as more of a second-round talent, not because of the upside but because he is extremely raw. But the Leafs need defenders in their prospect pool, especially left-shot ones. There may be guys who will be NHL ready sooner (Duda, Kyrou, Koromyslov, etc.) but Pickering's size makes him enticing at this spot.
27Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-The Penguins need pretty much everything, as they've been near or at the top of the league for the past decade plus. Ostlund is a step in the right direction for their youth, he can replace Malkin as the future 2C.
28Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-The Lightning don't have much of anything in terms of prospects, so they go BPA. That's Ohgren if you ask me.
29Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers don't need any particular prospect to fill a need, so they go BPA. Trikozov is the guy.
30Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Carolina HurricanesThe Yotes go ballsy with this pick, going with the overaged Robertson. His game shows no weaknesses that make me believe that he isn't NHL ready right now. The Coyotes need players to get excited about, Robertson could come in and be one of those guys on day one.
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida PanthersWith the Sabres third and final pick of the first round, they go best defender available. That's Duda.
32Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Colorado AvalancheWith back to back picks. the Yotes go with two very high upside, but raw talent Russian wingers in Dolzhenkov and Miroshnichenko. The plan should be to get both of these guys over to North America asap and develop them in the smaller rinks.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
Heyhowareya37 liked this.
Z0ra and Zinger liked this.
Playersoverpayed liked this.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:45 a.m.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:47 a.m.
KadenM_R liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
Quoting: BruinsFan35
MatthewsFan GeneralLandro Playersoverpayed

Coincidence, you were 2 or 3 minutes faster. My list is also there.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
Coincidence, you were 2 or 3 minutes faster. My list is also there.

Ha! Beat you to it lol
Playersoverpayed liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:06 a.m.
Ha! Beat you to it lol

Quality is the point, not speed lol
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
I think the only sabres need is RD. So I'd take Chesley over Geekie at 16 and maybe a RD with our second or final first.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:23 a.m.
Lenny7
Hot takes/random thoughts:
-Savoie falls...I think Kemell and Slafkovsky jump ahead of him, based purely around size. I think he still ends up having a solid NHL career, but there's just something in my head telling me that he slides.
-Lambert is going to be the steal of the draft. I get the same "Raty" vibes, and wouldn't be surprised if he slid to the second half of the first round, but I really think it's a situation where he's just not in a spot that allows him much opportunity to contribute offensively. Really think he takes off next year.
-From a Ducks-fan standpoint, Yurov is probably the right pick at that spot, but I could realistically see us falling all the way to 6th/7thish OA, which *hopefully* gets us to Jiricek. If that happens, I could see them trading down with the Boston pick (or, given that they've been linked to Chychrun a bunch, including that pick in a move for him...).
-Kinda surprised to see Gaucher falling as much as he has over the past couple of months, but he also kind of reminds me of Nick Ritchie.
-Going to be interesting to see where the trio of Nelson, Chesley and Luneau fall...pretty similar offensive RD's...I could see teams waiting it out to choose these guys, knowing that you can get one in the late 30's.
TZ11 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I think the only sabres need is RD. So I'd take Chesley over Geekie at 16 and maybe a RD with our second or final first.

I'd wait it out, tbh. If you don't get a shot at Nemec or Jiricek, I'd be taking the BPA until you start see the Chesley/Nelson/Luneau trio come off the board. Maybe Luneau with that last 1st is a bit of a reach, but (IMO) none of those 3 are going to be NHL ready for 2-3-4 years, at which point the RD hole *should* be filled by someone else, unless Adams continues the trend of Sabres management incompetence (Which he doesn't seem to be doing currently, so high five for Sabres fans!)
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
Go leafs go
Do the leafs really need left shot d? I feel like a goalie would be the top positional need, followed by centre.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
TZ11 A_Habs_fan NHLfan10506

This comment will address your rankings more than the mock draft, mock drafts are much more subjective because you have to look at team need + what player you like, etc.

Why is Mesar at 43 and Casey at 40, I like both of them and they both to me look like good prospects, Mesar has that positional versatility and has looked good this year, I'd expect him to be a 1st, Casey seems like a well-rounded defenseman and imo is part of that batch of RD's after Nemec/Jiricek. I'd move Lane Hutson up but I can understand how his size will cost him a lot of spots on draft day. I really like Korchinski, he's definitely more of a project but the high-end skill and potential is there so I'd have him a bit higher too. Nice rankings as always though
TZ11 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
good post! i doubt habs draft dumais to be honest. i feel in most draft mock, they expect the habs to take the local guy with someone from quebec but it happened once in 20 years... and it did not work so great. if they go for a winger they will probably go with someone qho has more size. most of our top winger prospect are below 5.10. (but great work dor the thing! just had to give my habs 2 cent).
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:44 a.m.
I think MTL at no.2 should go RD. I am higher on Jiricek, but I understand the safer pick is Nemec.
D-men need more time than Fs for development. MTL should be also bad at least in 2022/23 and therefore they could select high-end prospects in F-loaded (C-loaded) class.
If you need to choose between F and D-man of similar quality, select D-man. They are harder to get.
I think Slafkovsky is great prospect, but he is ideal pick for a team just coming out of a slump, that cherry on top. MTL is not in that position.
So my guess is:
1. ARI... Wright
2. MTL... Nemec
3. SEA... Jiricek (their D-men picks in 2021 were both overagers. They should be mediocre for a couple more seasons, so they should select several 17-18 yo D-men)
4. OTT... Cooley (they like NTDP players. I would select Slafkovsky, but they are one of rare teams with enough physicality and might prefer C)
5. PHI... Slafkovsky
6. NJD... Kemell (they would prefer RD, but another scoring RW beside Holtz is also fine)
7. CBJ... Savoie (Savoie might be NHL ready, just like Sillinger a year before)
8. BUF... Gauthier (big F from NTDP. They like Americans and he could play C. With other probable 1st round selections they should also get RW and RD)
9. DET... Nazar (they like local kids)
10. ANA... Howard (BPA? Another LD would be appreciated, but with Zellweger in club they wouldn't select Mateychuk at no. 10. They don't draft Russians (Mintyukov, Yurov))
Apr. 1, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
Banned
instead of McGroarty i would take Bichsel or Geekie
Apr. 1, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Awesome job dude, love the explanations.

Going to stick with the Leafs pick and my hopes:

- trade back to gain another pick (I don't feel like where we are positioned the quality of player will be any different than moving back into the 2nd around and possibly picking up a 3rd or 4th rounder to do so) there will be some nice value picks with high upside in the 2nd round.

Guys I hope they target would be
- if they keep the pick (Gaucher, Firkus, Korchinski, Odelius)
- if they trade back into the 2nd (Rinzel, Lamoureux, Warren, Hughes, McConnell-Barker)

Leafs needs heading into this draft are getting dynamic C, a scoring RW, and a rugged two way dman imo
Apr. 1, 2022 at 6:25 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Love almost all of it

Curious, why do you have Casey so low? I think he's at least a top 15 talent
Apr. 2, 2022 at 10:40 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Hot takes/random thoughts:
-Savoie falls...I think Kemell and Slafkovsky jump ahead of him, based purely around size. I think he still ends up having a solid NHL career, but there's just something in my head telling me that he slides.
-Lambert is going to be the steal of the draft. I get the same "Raty" vibes, and wouldn't be surprised if he slid to the second half of the first round, but I really think it's a situation where he's just not in a spot that allows him much opportunity to contribute offensively. Really think he takes off next year.
-From a Ducks-fan standpoint, Yurov is probably the right pick at that spot, but I could realistically see us falling all the way to 6th/7thish OA, which *hopefully* gets us to Jiricek. If that happens, I could see them trading down with the Boston pick (or, given that they've been linked to Chychrun a bunch, including that pick in a move for him...).
-Kinda surprised to see Gaucher falling as much as he has over the past couple of months, but he also kind of reminds me of Nick Ritchie.
-Going to be interesting to see where the trio of Nelson, Chesley and Luneau fall...pretty similar offensive RD's...I could see teams waiting it out to choose these guys, knowing that you can get one in the late 30's.

I agree with almost everything, but I, and most others, don't see Chesley as an offensive Defenseman at all. An argument can be made for two-way D-man, but defensive Defenseman is probably the optimal description (if you want to stick to those 3 categories).
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 2, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
Good rankings, as always. Obviously, I don't agree with everything, but your explanations for the placements make sense to a point that I can always understand why you placed them there. Some things I find noteworthy:
- Pickering, Dolzhenkov and Persson seem very high to me.
- Snuggerud, Casey, Hughes and Mesar very low

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll