SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Petry Deal

Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: Roysboy72
Yeah, I don't think Petry would cost this much to get rid of even if he was a cap dump, I see this more as a statement to Habs fans from Wings fans telling them to stop trading Petry to Detroit for unreasonable prices over and over again

Right, because going extreme always makes things better on the internet.

Plus, the worst offenders among Montreal fans spent the last 4 months being told:

-Chiarot will never return a 1st, let alone a Savard return.
-Kulak is only worth a late round pick.
-Lehkonen isn't worth a 1st/1st round prospect plus more.

They're certainly not going to stop now when the consensus from other fanbases on Habs players here was so woefully off the mark.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Look, is Petry worth a lot not really, he's old, not a great contract but he's not a cap dump by a long shot, he's still a useful top 4 D and brings value to our team, he'll probably stay on Montreal until the right offer comes along and that right offer won't please anyone who thinks Petry is a cap dump
Roysboy72 and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
yippee
Quoting: Burnout
Right, because going extreme always makes things better on the internet.

Plus, the worst offenders among Montreal fans spent the last 4 months being told:

-Chiarot will never return a 1st, let alone a Savard return.
-Kulak is only worth a late round pick.
-Lehkonen isn't worth a 1st/1st round prospect plus more.

They're certainly not going to stop now when the consensus from other fanbases on Habs players here was so woefully off the mark.

I still agree with all of those valuations. NHL GMs can buy players for whatever price they want, I'll still say they overpaid if they're paying a 1st for a guy I'd value at a 2nd. Everybody agrees that Hughes pulled off a legendary trade deadline by getting those returns for those players. If they were really worth those high prices, wouldn't it just be a meh deadline where the Habs got decent value for their assets? Props to Hughes for getting those trades done at those prices but it doesn't change the value of the players in my eyes.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: Roysboy72
I still agree with all of those valuations. NHL GMs can buy players for whatever price they want, I'll still say they overpaid if they're paying a 1st for a guy I'd value at a 2nd. Everybody agrees that Hughes pulled off a legendary trade deadline by getting those returns for those players. If they were really worth those high prices, wouldn't it just be a meh deadline where the Habs got decent value for their assets? Props to Hughes for getting those trades done at those prices but it doesn't change the value of the players in my eyes.

As long as you recognize that its a personal opinion and not what actual NHL general managers think.
Roysboy72 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Habs don't have to move him. Teams don't dump their top 4 guys unless they're forced because of the salary cap. Even when he was playing worse under Ducharme (he bounced back significantly) many scouts have said they view Petry as the same player as last year. The contract may remove some of the value that should be attached to Petry, but it's absolutely nowhere near cap-dump level. Just look at what "top 4 RDs" have been traded for recently, from a bad rental Ristolainen to an underperforming Seth Jones.

i agree i think he is still a viable top 4 option. But with his 15 team no trade list, and the fact that he's more than willing to have his desire to be movedaffect his value and play in MTL, we wont have much in the way of Bargaining power. I think IF he goes to the detroit its a last resort for MTL because they will not give the habs a favorable package for him as they have other needs than RD. I view the best option being Dallas loses Klingberg the free agency and they go after Petry as a replacement but even then wouldnt be shocked if its peanuts compared to what we wouldve gotten for him last season.

I dont think the Chiarot return is relevant at all since there term on Petry and its not a deadline deal.

I truly hope I am wrong and Hughes works some more magic and gets back a decent pick or prospect for him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll