Created by: Keegan
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 1, 2022
Published: Apr. 1, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Other options if players cost more or don't want to come here:
Lyubushkin - Stecher:
Not as strong defensively, but also not as weak offensively, and almost certainly a good bit cheaper

Kukan - Kulak:
Likely quite a bit more expensive, but has thrived with an offensive partner which is very helpful when there is an injury in the top 4. Would be the preferred option, but I think some team will be able to pay him more than the avs.

Motte - Larsson:
Larsson has a longer history of being a strong defensive player, but based on their deadline returns is likely more expensive. Both have had similar seasons, and getting one would be nice, but should not overpay to get one.

Sturm - Rodrigues:
Going to cost a lot more and would likely require moving Johnson or buying him out. Keeping Sturm is the much preferred option as he will be significantly cheaper and has already proven to fit in, but if Sturm wants too much and Rodrigues can be had for a reasonable price and they see him as a better fit than Compher, it's not a bad move. They can also just keep Compher if they don't see anything they like, or have Maltsev there if they believe in him in that role.

Kuemper - Campbell/Husso:
Definetly not a goalie guy, but unless there is some trade out there these are the only two I would take a risk on. Fleury is a maybe, but he hasn't had a strong season and is at a very risky age. The ideal scenario I believe is to retain Kuemper but keep his term down, although it likely takes more based on the amount of teams who need a starter for next season (Edmonton, Toronto, New Jersey)

Trade:
Moving Compher is purely cap related and trying to avoid buying out EJ. He's still a good player, and if you can move EJ instead for a reasonable price you do it, even if you have to retain 2mil, just because it saves you an extra 2mil next season from the buyout. Compher is a solid piece that a team that wants to compete like San Jose could use, and costing only a 3rd is good value for the sharks. Compher puts up strong defensive numbers, is used on the pk, and has put up a 30 point pace the last 4 seasons.

Lineup:
Forward:
I wanted to get Maltsev in, but I do have concerns over his fit in the bottom 6. I love Motte and O'Connor as the 4th line wingers, so much forechecking and speed, but not much skill which I think hurts the fit with Maltsev, so there is the option to move up O'Connor and play either Kaut or Aube-Kubel on the 4th line, although not sold that's an improvement. Ranta has really struggled in the NHL, but he could be another option if he has improved. I love Lehkonen and Sturm on the 3rd line, and I wouldn't have minded Compher as the RW, but elected to move him, which does create a large hole on the 3rd line. I'm hoping Kaut can take a step and fit with those two because I think it could be a great shutdown line, but if not I also like O'Connor there, although his skill has disappeared recently, so if he can't find it and Kaut doesn't take a step, maybe they try Maltsev on the wing, or ideally, find a value signing/trade that is similar to Nichushkin/Toews moves, but obviously I don't expect as insanely good value as the two. Top 6 is pretty self explanatory, I would be pretty surprised if this isn't what it looks like, but maybe Nichushkin or Burakovsky want more than the avs can afford. In that case, maybe you can sign Marchment if you believe in him as fit and can keep up his play here, or play Lehkonen there.

Defence:
The defence is very easy at the top end, just keep your young top 4 and play them however you chose (I personally prefer Toews - Girard and Byram - Makar, especially come playoffs against a team like Edmonton or Florida with two stars who are on separate lines, But I can't argue too hard against the Toews - Makar pairing). The bottom pair I wouldn't mind bringing back Murray and Manson, but Murray still has injury concerns, and Manson I think will cost too much. There are quite a few defencemen who I think would provide strong value on the avs bottom pairing, and I went with Kukan and Lyubushkin(Although they don't have strong pk numbers which is a big concern), but there are plenty of options, Johnson and Kulak, Murray and Stecher, Nutivaara and Miller, or De Haan and Rutta, some dmen are going to be available for less than they should be and they should be the ones the avs target.

Goalie:
Kuemper had a very slow start, but is now 3rd in GSAx, only behind Shesterkin and Andersen, and is 3rd over the last 3 seasons, only behind Hellebuyck and Shesterkin. Francouz on the other hand is just perfectly solid, he's not going to lose or win you many games, but is a perfectly competent backup.

Concerns:
I believe in Newhook taking a step, but if he doesn't who plays 2C? Rantanen has proven to be able to do it and I believe Landeskog could do it, but then you can't put together your top line, although Nichushkin has been strong up there recently, and Burakovsky has previously had success up there. The bottom 6 a much bigger concern, I love Lehkonen, Sturm and O'Connor, but not sure if O'Connor can succeed above the 4th line, and I am putting a lot of stock in Sturm's 7 games with the avs, but I believe he can b a strong 3C. Sturm is very strong defensively, although there is concern he will be more of 20 point player than the 30 points you would want from a 3rd liner. A Motte or Larsson would be perfect for the 4th line, but if you can't get one you likely need to bring in a vet who might decline or hope one of your young players take a step, and you are already hoping Maltsev and Kaut are taking a step, which is the biggest concern in the bottom 6.

The other concern is your bottom pair on the pk. Toews is going to be on there, and Makar has started to play some pk, but unless you get Byram to pk, which I don't mind, you will need both dmen on your bottom pair to pk, and none of the players available who I think could be valuable pickups have a long history of pk success.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
2$950,000
1$950,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
4$5,000,000
2$1,500,000
3$5,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
1$950,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
COL
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (SJS)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,790,833$25,000$3,775,000$709,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
$908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
G
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 1, 2022 at 7:18 p.m.
You forgot the Stinger trade with Columbus
Keegan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 7:24 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: nintendofan721
You forgot the Stinger trade with Columbus

Nah, they're gonna let him walk and resign Bernie in the offseason, the move was a big mistake.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 8:29 p.m.
Representing the 505
Nuke is worth more than Bura but I hope he signs for a little less money but more years.
Keegan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 8:37 p.m.
Sharks have very little interest in that sorry
glarson17 liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 8:46 p.m.
Compher for a 5th, sure. Not a 3rd
Apr. 1, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
I am one that wonders if Newhook is ready to take on 2C minutes. Maybe he can, but I would suggest he needs another year to percolate before assuming that roll seamlessly.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 8:59 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: NMAvsFan
Nuke is worth more than Bura but I hope he signs for a little less money but more years.

I agree that he is more valuable, but I think it will cost more to bring back Burakovsky, but he's still worth it
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: FunMustBeAlways
Sharks have very little interest in that sorry

Why do you think they wouldn't be interested? I agree that they shouldn't be because I think they should rebuild, but they seem to want to compete and he is definitely an upgrade for them
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:02 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: glarson17
Compher for a 5th, sure. Not a 3rd

Why do you think for so little value? He's a solid player
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: swinny
I am one that wonders if Newhook is ready to take on 2C minutes. Maybe he can, but I would suggest he needs another year to percolate before assuming that roll seamlessly.

It's definitely a risk, but he's looked good whenever he's played with more skilled players which gives me hope, but if he can't like I mentioned in the description you can move one of the top line wingers to 2C and hopefully Newhook is able to move into the role later, but yes definitely a risk, but it's not worth keeping Kadri over one of the 2nd line wingers.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:17 p.m.
Quoting: Keegan
It's definitely a risk, but he's looked good whenever he's played with more skilled players which gives me hope, but if he can't like I mentioned in the description you can move one of the top line wingers to 2C and hopefully Newhook is able to move into the role later, but yes definitely a risk, but it's not worth keeping Kadri over one of the 2nd line wingers.

Oh no. Kadri will be gone. He will be signing for aggregious money that won't age well.

Having said that, finding a 2C with one or two year left in a deal maybe a rabbit hole worth going down. Pr at least a 3C that can play up the line up a little..... say a Sean Monohan at 50% retained? Imagine that gets done on the cheap.
Keegan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Oh no. Kadri will be gone. He will be signing for aggregious money that won't age well.

Having said that, finding a 2C with one or two year left in a deal maybe a rabbit hole worth going down. Pr at least a 3C that can play up the line up a little..... say a Sean Monohan at 50% retained? Imagine that gets done on the cheap.

Sean Monahan is a no, he's not great anymore(tbh honest was never that good), injuries took away best attribute his shot, so I wouldn't want to take a chance on him, but I don't mind the idea of someone who can let you give Newhook some easier matchups. but I would be a bit worried about not giving Newhook any skilled linemates, so I would want them to add a skilled player to play with Newhook and Lehkonen in this case
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:27 p.m.
Sean Monahan is a no, he's not great anymore(tbh honest was never that good), injuries took away best attribute his shot, so I wouldn't want to take a chance on him, but I don't mind the idea of someone who can let you give Newhook some easier matchups. but I would be a bit worried about not giving Newhook any skilled linemates, so I would want them to add a skilled player to play with Newhook and Lehkonen in this case

Get where you are going. But the overall centre depth here concerns me. Vegas had this issue for 2 years. You can have all the wing deoth in the world, but when you lack C depth, it's a problem.

Newhook will be a gamer, no doubt. But this line up is risky in what is a tough west.
Keegan liked this.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Get where you are going. But the overall centre depth here concerns me. Vegas had this issue for 2 years. You can have all the wing deoth in the world, but when you lack C depth, it's a problem.

Newhook will be a gamer, no doubt. But this line up is risky in what is a tough west.

I would agree because if Newhook or Mackinnon are injured it loos bad, but I really haven't had a problem when Rantanen moves over to center, so while looking at the 4 centers it might look weak with an injury, I trust other players to move over
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:34 p.m.
I would agree because if Newhook or Mackinnon are injured it loos bad, but I really haven't had a problem when Rantanen moves over to center, so while looking at the 4 centers it might look weak with an injury, I trust other players to move over

This Leafs fan will tell you that doesn't work well lol.

Been there, tried that🤣🤣
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
NHL Assessment
This Leafs fan will tell you that doesn't work well lol.

Been there, tried that🤣🤣

I don't think it not working for one team means it won't work for others, especially because it has worked when they've done it
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:37 p.m.
I don't think it not working for one team means it won't work for others, especially because it has worked when they've done it

Last year's playoff suggests otherwise. Hence my concern.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Last year's playoff suggests otherwise. Hence my concern.

What part suggests otherwise?
Apr. 1, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
What part suggests otherwise?

Speaking about the Leafs and the JT injury. Kerfoot filled in well, but the 3rd line was not the same.

This Avs construct looks eerily similar. Let's say Newhook goes down, Rantanen slides over. Issue here is you have weakened the top line with that move.

I don't know. I am a strong proponent on centre depth......
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Speaking about the Leafs and the JT injury. Kerfoot filled in well, but the 3rd line was not the same.

This Avs construct looks eerily similar. Let's say Newhook goes down, Rantanen slides over. Issue here is you have weakened the top line with that move.

I don't know. I am a strong proponent on centre depth......

Why do you say it didn't work? If I'm not mistaken, Kerfoot and Nylander were the leafs best forwards that series, and yes the top line will be weakened, but that's what happens when there are injuries, and it could be Landeskog moving down, and moving either Nichushkin or Burakovsky up with Mackinnon and Rantanen has worked, so I don't see it as that much of a downgrade.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:06 p.m.
Representing the 505
I agree that he is more valuable, but I think it will cost more to bring back Burakovsky, but he's still worth it

I disagree with that. He is far too inconsistent and streaky and doesn't play a 200 ft game. It sucks to see him go but there are better places to spend money. Plus, his contract puts the team behind the 8-ball when Mac, Newhook and Byram all come up for new deals the following year.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:06 p.m.
Why do you think for so little value? He's a solid player

He doesn’t produce much, the sharks have guys who produce at the same rate if not more already on the team that don’t add over $3 mil or cost a pick that they shouldn’t be moving anyway. Barabanov, Balcers, labanc are a few
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:17 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: glarson17
He doesn’t produce much, the sharks have guys who produce at the same rate if not more already on the team that don’t add over $3 mil or cost a pick that they shouldn’t be moving anyway. Barabanov, Balcers, labanc are a few

Why would they have to move any of those players? I guess it depends how much Barabanov costs, but he consistently puts up 30 points with strong defensive numbers, not sure how that's not at least fair value if not better value for whatever team acquires him
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:22 p.m.
Why would they have to move any of those players? I guess it depends how much Barabanov costs, but he consistently puts up 30 points with strong defensive numbers, not sure how that's not at least fair value if not better value for whatever team acquires him

The sharks just don’t need that type of player. They need more scoring in their lineup, goal scorers really, and I don’t think compher brings enough of that for the cap hit he has and the limited cap the sharks have.
Apr. 1, 2022 at 10:26 p.m.
NHL Assessment
Quoting: NMAvsFan
I disagree with that. He is far too inconsistent and streaky and doesn't play a 200 ft game. It sucks to see him go but there are better places to spend money. Plus, his contract puts the team behind the 8-ball when Mac, Newhook and Byram all come up for new deals the following year.

I think you are underrating Burakovsky a bit, this is the first season as an Av he hasn't been on pace for over 60 points (He's on pace for 59.6), and yes he's inconsistent, but when he's on he can create goals from nothing (He had 17 points in 15 playoff games in the 19-20 playoffs). Also, I don't have much worry with the new deals, Mackinnon's already said he'll take a discount, so just give him all of Johnsons money, and while I'm not the biggest fan of bridges, I think it makes a lot of sense for both Newhook and Byram. There is also a real possibility that all the players I resigned cost less, I leaned on the high side, but I could easily see one or two taking less than they're worth (Also he's 21st in even strength points per 60 over the past 3 seasons)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll