Forums/Armchair-GM

All on Keefe

Created by: revaze15
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 6, 2022
Published: Apr. 6, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There is nobody to blame this game on other than Sheldon Keefe. This game was a disasterclass on his end. First, taking Boosh out over Holl was a terrible decision but I understand since Boosh hasn't played as well since the Boston game. But wait, he has to go and put Holl back with Muzzin and make them the 2nd pairing and the 1st PK. Im cutting Muzzin some slack since it was his first game back but my god Holl was horrendous in front of our net today. Keeping Clifford in over Simmonds was a terrible idea as well. Not changing our lines mid game was a mistake.

Also, these wins have really hidden the fact that we are a one line team rn. Hell even Bunting hasnt been very good. Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Boosh, Gio and Lilly have been carrying us to wins. All of the other forwards have moments of individual greatness that leads to a nice play or a goal but they are not consistantly making an impact when they are on the ice. When Florida started the comeback Keefe really should have put the bottom 3 lines in a blender and find something that worked bc what we went with really did not. Im hoping we try these lines next game and give Gio-Lilly top 4 Minutes.

I hope some of you fellow leafs fans agree on some of my points. Leave a comment if you would like to discuss anything.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,388,949$0$400,000$1,111,051
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:21 a.m.
Edited Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:28 a.m.
That Clifford penalty was absolutely terrible, and I would have scratched Holl instead of the Boosh.
I would play Spezza over Abruzzese though, he QB’s the PP2 and is very good at face offs.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:29 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I sure wish folks would watch Leaf games rather than look at scoring points. If worried about defensive play, don't know why Holl gets so much blame. Reilly and Brodie have been poor lately at even strength. But somehow the so many Leaf fans look at the salaries of players and make their contributions based on that.
Bunting has been very good.
So has Engvall and Mikheyev have been good.
The erratic Nylander at times is the one guy that doesn't live up to his contract or his prime minutes.

But I'll agree the Leafs better get balanced scoring five on five because they can't depend on the PP as the difference make in the playoffs.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:29 a.m.
Hockey Expert
Quoting: Tj_gm
That Clifford penalty was absolutely terrible, and I would have scratched Holl instead of the Boosh.
I would play Spezza over Abruzzese though, he QB’s the PP2 and is very good at face offs.

Im fine with Spezza playing as long as he doesn't play every night.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:31 a.m.
Quoting: revaze15
Im fine with Spezza playing as long as he doesn't play every night.

I wouldn’t worry about that. Knies will be signed soon, and make us all wish he was eligible for the playoffs
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:32 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

IMO the Leafs are playing Abruzzese to see if centre ice capable for next season. Right now the Leafs don't have much NHL centre depth. And if they trade Kerfoot, for cap space, they have to be ensure all of Matthews, Tavares, Kampf. and Abruzzese are solid. There are no Marlies NHL ready. So maybe it's Nylander or Engvall that play centre next season in case of injury to their regular centres.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:33 a.m.
Hockey Expert
Quoting: palhal
I sure wish folks would watch Leaf games rather than look at scoring points. If worried about defensive play, don't know why Holl gets so much blame. Reilly and Brodie have been poor lately at even strength. But somehow the so many Leaf fans look at the salaries of players and make their contributions based on that.
Bunting has been very good.
So has Engvall and Mikheyev have been good.
The erratic Nylander at times is the one guy that doesn't live up to his contract or his prime minutes.

But I'll agree the Leafs better get balanced scoring five on five because they can't depend on the PP as the difference make in the playoffs.

I have been watching the games, every minute of them. Holl was on the ice for 4 goals against tonight and on 3 of them he left his man wide open in front of the net. Rielly and Brodie have been poor which is why I didnt list Brodie as a player who has been "carrying". Only listed Rielly bc he has played very well offensively. Yes Engvall and Mikheyev have been good but they are not consistent like I said, they dissapear for half of the game just live everyone else in the bottom 9. Bunting has missed a lot of chances lately, he only looks good bc of Matthews and Marner.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:33 a.m.
IMO the Leafs are playing Abruzzese to see if centre ice capable for next season. Right now the Leafs don't have much NHL centre depth. And if they trade Kerfoot, for cap space, they have to be ensure all of Matthews, Tavares, Kampf. and Abruzzese are solid. There are no Marlies NHL ready. So maybe it's Nylander or Engvall that play centre next season in case of injury to their regular centres.

Curtis Douglas is a beast! He can handle 4C
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:34 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I wouldn’t worry about that. Knies will be signed soon, and make us all wish he was eligible for the playoffs

Please, to depend on 19 year old college kid to be the playoff saviour defies all logic.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
Hockey Expert

I hope I never have to see Nylander play Center that would be terrible.
palhal liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I have been watching the games, every minute of them. Holl was on the ice for 4 goals against tonight and on 3 of them he left his man wide open in front of the net. Rielly and Brodie have been poor which is why I didnt list Brodie as a player who has been "carrying". Only listed Rielly bc he has played very well offensively. Yes Engvall and Mikheyev have been good but they are not consistent like I said, they dissapear for half of the game just live everyone else in the bottom 9. Bunting has missed a lot of chances lately, he only looks good bc of Matthews and Marner.

Strange Holl was plus one last night.
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

You're joking right? Beasts are nice in some parts of the world. But like so many AHL players, he looks no way NHL capable due to his skating.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
Please, to depend on 19 year old college kid to be the playoff saviour defies all logic.

Ummm what? He’s not eligible for the playoffs...
I simply said he will play well
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:38 a.m.
Hockey Expert

Looks like somebody didn't watch the game. 3 of the goals he was on for were shorthanded which means they dont effect +/-. Although we were shorthanded the goal scorer was wide open in front of the net standing beside Holl. If boosh was there he would have easily cleared them from the net. Please dont look at the stat sheet without watching the game.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
You're joking right? Beasts are nice in some parts of the world. But like so many AHL players, he looks no way NHL capable due to his skating.

He’s had a great year with the Marlies. He isn’t my first choice for 4C, but he is a better option than Abruzzese at this point.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
56 years and countin
Once Leafs get these big leads (5-1,6-2) they should just play the trap for the rest of the game. Who cares if it’s boring, I want this team to preserve a lead
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Looks like somebody didn't watch the game. 3 of the goals he was on for were shorthanded which means they dont effect +/-. Although we were shorthanded the goal scorer was wide open in front of the net standing beside Holl. If boosh was there he would have easily cleared them from the net. Please dont look at the stat sheet without watching the game.

I did, sorry you missed it . Now where the other Dman on the PP? I know it's always Holl's fault, and the other five Dman go unscathed for criticism.
Lenny7 and Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He’s had a great year with the Marlies. He isn’t my first choice for 4C, but he is a better option than Abruzzese at this point.

I just think you are incorrect on Douglas's NHL abilities. Throughout the decades we have seen hundreds...maybe thousands of good/great AHLers who amount to nothing in the NHL.
Two reasons....they don't have NHL speed or they can't process the game properly when the game is played high pace.
Hey, I hope you're right. But "great year" in the AHL or college, or junior, or KHL...doesn't mean competency in the NHL.
Lenny7 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:57 a.m.
Hockey Expert
I did, sorry you missed it . Now where the other Dman on the PP? I know it's always Holl's fault, and the other five Dman go unscathed for criticism.

I mean, Gio and Lilly were on the ice for 0 goals against tonight so y should they be scathed? Like I said in the description, Im cutting Muzzin some slack since it was his first game back. There were only 2 dmen on the ice for those 4 goals, Muzzin and Holl. So one of them has to be at fault. Now work this out with me, if Muzzin is covering his guy and then another guy is wide open in front of the net. who messed up?
Apr. 6, 2022 at 1:43 a.m.

Plus/minus is a bit of a garbage stat. I watched the game too and Holl did not have a good game. Tavares didn't have a good game either..well.. not on the defensive side of things anyway.

There were quite a few Leafs having a terrible game but...3rd game in 4 nights. Not an excuse, it is what it is.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 7:03 a.m.
Owly

Leave it to leaf fans to go nuts over an OT loss against the best team in the league who was rested and rolling while we played a hard game the night before and 3 in 4 nights. Holl is fine, Florida's PP sure looked good. Won puck battles and had great movement. I am not sure I would blame anyone for those goals against. Similar to when our PP wrecks teams, when Matthews unloads a laser, is it anyone's fault he scores? This is a game were the Leafs simply ran out of steam. It happens and you wash it off and refocus. Win home ice. Beat everyone else.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 7:04 a.m.
Owly

Anything new and shiny is obviously the saviour
palhal liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 7:06 a.m.
Owly

Easily, just like that. No question. Sure bud. This is just a fan who hates Holl dumping everything on him and not giving an credit to the well rested Florida juggernaut who exploited a tired team playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and 2nd of a back to back. Just calm down.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 7:09 a.m.
Owly
I mean, Gio and Lilly were on the ice for 0 goals against tonight so y should they be scathed? Like I said in the description, Im cutting Muzzin some slack since it was his first game back. There were only 2 dmen on the ice for those 4 goals, Muzzin and Holl. So one of them has to be at fault. Now work this out with me, if Muzzin is covering his guy and then another guy is wide open in front of the net. who messed up?

On a powerplay if you get great movement around the zone eventually someone is open. In all 3 PP goals against that is what happened. Great puck movement and the leafs opened up lanes and they scored. The Leafs literally do this all the time but no other team acts like this. Florida is a great offensive team. I still think TO beats them over 7 games because they give up too many chances but after playing 3 games in 4 nights while Florida is rested, that's a tall task.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 7:10 a.m.
Owly
Quoting: oneX
Plus/minus is a bit of a garbage stat. I watched the game too and Holl did not have a good game. Tavares didn't have a good game either..well.. not on the defensive side of things anyway.

There were quite a few Leafs having a terrible game but...3rd game in 4 nights. Not an excuse, it is what it is.

Right? Like you should win a game you are leading 5-1 but Florida can run up the score and the leafs sure looked tired in the 3rd
oneX liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Right? Like you should win a game you are leading 5-1 but Florida can run up the score and the leafs sure looked tired in the 3rd

Yeah, I'd say the Leafs started looking tired in the second half of the second period actually. But hey!

Beat Boston, beat Tampa and took Florida to overtime, not bad at all.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll