Poll Options

Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
1. Shesterkin
2, Josi
3. Matthews
4. McDavid
5. Gaudreau

i feel im the only one who feels kaprizov should be a top 3 pick. the wild would be rebuilding without him.
CD282 and justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:42 p.m.
Look at it this way: if McDavid was on the Rangers, who would be the Rangers most valuable player? If McDavid was on the Leafs, who would be the Leafs most valuable player? If McDavid was on the Predators, who would be Nashville's MVP? For me it's McDavid every time.

If Josi, Matthews and Shesterkin were all traded to Edmonton, McDavid would still be the team MVP.
oilersguy liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
Sheshterkin has come back down to earth over the last month or so. Not winning the hart.

He's actually been really bad the past month. Like, worse than Georgiev. Yet he still posted a 4-4-1 record in his past 9 starts, that tells me his team was doing the carrying.
leafs101 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
i feel im the only one who feels kaprizov should be a top 3 pick. the wild would be rebuilding without him.

I agree. Top-3, but not 1st.
drambui liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
Quoting: CD282
Look at it this way: if McDavid was on the Rangers, who would be the Rangers most valuable player? If McDavid was on the Leafs, who would be the Leafs most valuable player? If McDavid was on the Predators, who would be Nashville's MVP? For me it's McDavid every time.

If Josi, Matthews and Shesterkin were all traded to Edmonton, McDavid would still be the team MVP.

to be fair i dont thinks its a good argument. the point your trying to make is for another trophy, the ted lyndsay. being the most valuable to your teams is something different.
BeterChiarelli and Devil liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.

I wouldn’t have him far behind. Hartman, Zucs, Fiala also good years (Boldy too).

If it’s a question of which team suffers the most without that one guy, Shesterkin wins, in my view.
Logan_Ollivier and ricochetii liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Owly

Who is he doing better than though?
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Owly
I wouldn’t have him far behind. Hartman, Zucs, Fiala also good years (Boldy too).

If it’s a question of which team suffers the most without that one guy, Shesterkin wins, in my view.

Yup my thought as well
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
Owly
He's actually been really bad the past month. Like, worse than Georgiev. Yet he still posted a 4-4-1 record in his past 9 starts, that tells me his team was doing the carrying.

The Rangers defensively are terrible. Bottom 3rd in the league. They wouldn't be a playoff team without Shesterkin. I think only McDavid has the same impact on his team, the only difference is McDavid takes the Oilers from being a lottery team to a bubble team. Shesterkin has taken the Rangers from being a lottery team to possibly home ice in the way tougher eastern Conference.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
Owly

I hear what you are saying and it's not untrue, however he does have some warts, he's not great defensively and even his all world talent isn't enough to make the Oilers anything beyond a bubble team. If he won, I wouldn't for a second think it was unjust but other guys are having big years as well. I think McDavid is 3rd on the list for me behind Shesterkin and Josi.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.

i like the way you put it. but hartman had a career high of 31 points before being put with a line with kaprizov. unlike other people on this list (mathews, macdavid, shesterkin,) he is not surrounded by all star. i feel he is the one with the biggest gap of skill on his team, a bit like josi.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: mondo
1. Matthews
2. Shesterkin
3. McDavid
4. Josi
5. Draisaitl

That's my ballot.

This is probably mine as well, possibly with Gaudreau at 5 instead of Drais though.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Who is he doing better than though?

to me the top 5 are mathews, macdavid, josi, shesterking and kaprizov, not in any particular order. i feel i have a different take on the hart than my most people. if macdavid wins it, i'll understand and wont be mad, but with a guy like Draisaitl on his team, its hard for me tu justify the trophy when you compare it to a guy like kaprizov and what he does. he is carrying that team on his back this year and has been so clutch this season, he always seem to be the one tying up the game late. but anyway, my point is not to diss other players, i just feel his name should be.more up there in the conversation!
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.
to be fair i dont thinks its a good argument. the point your trying to make is for another trophy, the ted lyndsay. being the most valuable to your teams is something different.

McDavid is dragging the Oilers into a home-ice spot in the playoffs. He's currently on a 14 game point streak which has seen him score 12 goals and 27 points, including 3 OT goals and 6 game-winning goals. Not included in those numbers is a game-winning shootout goal, too. Edmonton has an 11-2-1 record in these 14 games, their .828 winning percentage is #1 in the league. That's MVP.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
i like the way you put it. but hartman had a career high of 31 points before being put with a line with kaprizov. unlike other people on this list (mathews, macdavid, shesterkin,) he is not surrounded by all star. i feel he is the one with the biggest gap of skill on his team, a bit like josi.

I agree, but will just tweak that a little - McDavid's most common linemates this year have been Puljujarvi and Hyman - good players but not Marner-level guys.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Owly
to me the top 5 are mathews, macdavid, josi, shesterking and kaprizov, not in any particular order. i feel i have a different take on the hart than my most people. if macdavid wins it, i'll understand and wont be mad, but with a guy like Draisaitl on his team, its hard for me tu justify the trophy when you compare it to a guy like kaprizov and what he does. he is carrying that team on his back this year and has been so clutch this season, he always seem to be the one tying up the game late. but anyway, my point is not to diss other players, i just feel his name should be.more up there in the conversation!

I think Draisaitl is only considered as good as he is because he plays with McDavid. Take McDavid out of Edmonton for a whole season and I bet they are a lottery team. Draisaitl finishes with less than 40 goals and 80 points and Nurse becomes the most overpaid player in hockey. No one goes into Edmonton and thinks how do we stop Draisaitl, they focus on McDavid and the PP. Shut them down and the Oilers are nothing. I haven't seen enough of Minnesota and while sure Kaprisov is the guy who focus on, I just don't think he has the same impact as some other guys.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Owly
I agree, but will just tweak that a little - McDavid's most common linemates this year have been Puljujarvi and Hyman - good players but not Marner-level guys.

He does still get a lot of time with Draisaitl whenever they need goals and no one else is producing. But yeah McDavid does it all no question. Imagine what him and Matthews would do together. You just couldn't stop them
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
I hear what you are saying and it's not untrue, however he does have some warts, he's not great defensively and even his all world talent isn't enough to make the Oilers anything beyond a bubble team. If he won, I wouldn't for a second think it was unjust but other guys are having big years as well. I think McDavid is 3rd on the list for me behind Shesterkin and Josi.

They aren't a bubble team though, they're 2nd in their division.

McDavid is dragging the Oilers into a home-ice spot in the playoffs. He's currently on a 14 game point streak which has seen him score 12 goals and 27 points, including 3 OT goals and 6 game-winning goals. Not included in those numbers is a game-winning shootout goal, too. Edmonton has an 11-2-1 record in these 14 games, their .828 winning percentage is #1 in the league. That's MVP.

Regarding your comments about McDavid's defensive game, I'll note that he's been better defensively than Matthews this year.

McDavid: 2.31 GA/60
Matthews: 3.33 GA/60
oilersguy liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
I think Draisaitl is only considered as good as he is because he plays with McDavid. Take McDavid out of Edmonton for a whole season and I bet they are a lottery team. Draisaitl finishes with less than 40 goals and 80 points and Nurse becomes the most overpaid player in hockey. No one goes into Edmonton and thinks how do we stop Draisaitl, they focus on McDavid and the PP. Shut them down and the Oilers are nothing. I haven't seen enough of Minnesota and while sure Kaprisov is the guy who focus on, I just don't think he has the same impact as some other guys.

Draisaitl doesn't play with McDavid though, except on the power play. He's a BEAST, I'd rather have him than Matthews.
oilersguy liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.

i mean, the mvp is for the whole season, not 14 games, they all matter. and no that not mvp. its the most valuable player to his team, not the best player in the league. you can keep telling me how great mcdavid is and you are right. he is the best player hy far. but there is a different award for that, the ted lyndsay.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
torontos finest

Regarding your comments about McDavid's defensive game, I'll note that he's been better defensively than Matthews this year.

Goals Against is such a dumb way to determine defensive ability.

Like, analytically dumb.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:25 p.m.

i mean i get you point but its a lot of IF. in the few span that mcdavid was injured, draisatl showed he can put the team on his back. its a bit the whole malkin/crosby dilemma that we've seen in the past, when top 5/ top 3 center play on the same team, its hard to know what they would be without.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
Owly

Like I said, McDavid could win it every year. He is that good. However, the Oilers being 2nd in their division is irrelevant. Being in the Pacific is why they are fighting for 2nd. Washington is 3 points back of them with 3 games in hand and are the last wild card in the Eastern conference. Every playoff team in East would be 1st in the Pacific apart from Washington. It's not like McDavid is taking the Oilers to the top of the Conference or even top 10 overall. They can get home ice and be 5 points out of being a bottom 10 team. But that is all besides the point. Matthews has scored 47 goals in his last 48 games. If he was healthy the whole year, who knows how good his season would have been, and I don't think he deserves the Hart. He could get it and it wouldn't be undeserving but I think what Shesterkin has done is unreal. The Rangers get crushed at 5v5 every game and he still wins.
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Owly
Draisaitl doesn't play with McDavid though, except on the power play. He's a BEAST, I'd rather have him than Matthews.

Only because you are an Oiler fan. He absolutely still plays a lot with McDavid, whenever the secondary offence dries up, (which happens way too often for the team) they are on the ice together. I would be shocked if they aren't 4th on each other's lists of most time playing with someone. On top of that, take our McDavid and your PP drops big time, and then everyone keys on Draisaitl which they don't because of McDavid. So without McDavid just how good is Draisaitl? I think he's still a good player but far from a top 5 player. I am not sure if he's even top 10 centre but it's hard to say without seeing him on his own
Apr. 6, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Owly
i mean i get you point but its a lot of IF. in the few span that mcdavid was injured, draisatl showed he can put the team on his back. its a bit the whole malkin/crosby dilemma that we've seen in the past, when top 5/ top 3 center play on the same team, its hard to know what they would be without.

There was 1 span where he was on a rip for a bit and over his entire career he's around a point a game when McDavid is out of the lineup and that is only because of that one short stretch where he scores a pile of points. Small sample sizes never give the true answer

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit