SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread #28 - Oilers are a Wagon

Apr. 13, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Juiceman
I can probably only talk for the Canucks trade but I really don’t see what the Habs have to offer for Boeser. Barron is somebody the Canucks would push for but the Habs would definitely not move him. I think Boeser likely goes to New Jersey, Pittsburgh, or LA

yeah someone in the comments said that too, i doubt barron moves. pittsburgh would be a nice fit for boeser too, he could try doing better alongside crosby or malkin or JEFF CART- yeah having guentzel on the other wing would help too
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

This is absolutely wild to me. This kid is in my grade. I have friends that know him personally. I have classes with his girlfriend.

To think a kid my age is playing in the OHL next year blows my mind. I've been to OHL games, it's a whole nother level. I am super interested in how he does and will follow him religiously
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: Saskleaf
There's definetly an argument that he isn't top 10, just because they think Crosby isn't top 10 doesn't make them an idiot.

And what would that argument be?
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This is the only normal site for hockey talk, because it's not social media dedicated to other purposes, just hockey and hockey alone (save for The Box), and therefore there are (for the most part) actually intelligent hockey people, especially on this thread.

Just don't check out the ACGM's.

I love the ACGM’s and all the debate there! Even at it’s worst it doesn’t touch other cesspools
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Remus
This is absolutely wild to me. This kid is in my grade. I have friends that know him personally. I have classes with his girlfriend.

To think a kid my age is playing in the OHL next year blows my mind. I've been to OHL games, it's a whole nother level. I am super interested in how he does and will follow him religiously

Ask for an autograph lol.

Someday that could be worth quite a lot.
Remus, zk97, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: Juiceman
I’m pretty sure most be here are between 15 and 25. At least Capfriendly is strictly moderated so not too much funky stuff goes down

Wow I always think I’m talking to adults but I guess that’s because I’m nearly 38 and just assume people are closer to my age. Reddit makes me feel like a grandpa. I guess when you’ve been online for years and it started out that most people were around your age, you forget how much time passed
zk97, Juiceman, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:27 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I HATED that blue jersey. Stick to your color scheme.

The Bruins should go with their all yellow reverse retro from Lake Tahoe last year.

I think blue was one of there og colors
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: edeangel84
Wow I always think I’m talking to adults but I guess that’s because I’m nearly 38 and just assume people are closer to my age. Reddit makes me feel like a grandpa. I guess when you’ve been online for years and it started out that most people were around your age, you forget how much time passed

Consensus opinion of this forum = social media sucks. Especially twitter.

Sadly though most of hockey news breaks in there so you pretty much gotta use it lol, especially during deadline.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, zk97, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Farewell

Crosby's 22nd (essentially tied for 21st with Ovi) all time in points. Obviously, he still has a lot left in the tank (and is 7th all-time in points per game played), but I wouldn't say he's top 10-YET.

Right now I'd go (not in order except for the first three) Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Jagr, Orr, Messier, Yzerman, Dionne, Coffey, Hasek. (And even after that-Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Phil Esposito would all be ahead in my mind. Crosby would be 14th at best right now, IMO.)
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:35 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Crosby's 22nd (essentially tied for 21st with Ovi) all time in points. Obviously, he still has a lot left in the tank (and is 7th all-time in points per game played), but I wouldn't say he's top 10-YET.

Right now I'd go (not in order except for the first three) Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Jagr, Orr, Messier, Yzerman, Dionne, Coffey, Hasek. (And even after that-Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Phil Esposito would all be ahead in my mind. Crosby would be 14th at best right now, IMO.)

Personally I'd definitely have Crosby over Yzerman, Coffey, Sakic and Messier.
edeangel84 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:37 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SevenLeg

Same.

This man is the face of modern day hockey.
EsoYeezus69 and edeangel84 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

The only one of those I'm hesitant about is Sakic, could definitely hear an argument for Crosby. Otherwise, I'd have to put Yzerman, Messier, and Coffey over Sid-but that could easily (and quite possibly will) change if he keeps this up into his high 30's.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: justaBoss
Same.

This man is the face of modern day hockey.

Right now I'd say McDavid, but before he came along, there's no doubt about who was the face of the league for almost a decade (sorry Ovi)
zk97, justaBoss and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
Jinx god
Since some of you are debating on top players of all time, I’ll give you my somewhat controversial opinion.

Richard>Howe
SevenLeg liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Since some of you are debating on top players of all time, I’ll give you my somewhat controversial opinion.

Richard>Howe

WOAH BOY

I've heard worse takes, but still, that's pretty bold. Howe leads him in points, goals, assists, and points per game (which is crucial, because Howe played longer than anybody save for Jagr, yet still has a higher PPG average than Richard)
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Farewell
I don't know if I've ever seen a worse D than the Flyers this year. First a few nights ago there was Sheary parked by the net alone for 10 seconds, now it's Panarin, and Trouba was able to get it to him from about 50 feet away on a cross-ice pass from the blue line, the ice was that clear. Seriously, their goalies are lambs being fed to wolves.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Gretzky>Comeau

Thats a horrendous take
zk97, EsoYeezus69, AndrewLadd and 4 others liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Vlad Guerrero Jr is destroying the Yankees unsure
MatthewsFan, aadoyle, oilersguy and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:53 p.m.
What in tarnation
Right now I'd say McDavid, but before he came along, there's no doubt about who was the face of the league for almost a decade (sorry Ovi)

Well true.

He was the face of the sport until 2018.
Jinx god
WOAH BOY

I've heard worse takes, but still, that's pretty bold. Howe leads him in points, goals, assists, and points per game (which is crucial, because Howe played longer than anybody save for Jagr, yet still has a higher PPG average than Richard)

Richard was up against the league when he played and he was also removed quite a large amount of assists.

My main reason is because he’s better in the playoffs, probably one of the most clutch playoff performers of all time, and in terms of team quality Howe’s team was way better, and Richard won 2 times more cups than Howe. Richard was just considerably more clutch.

This situation is similar to my stance on the Heiskanen-Makar debate. Switch players if scenarios and you’d see a massive difference.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Devil

Having Vladdy, Matthews, and Barnes in Toronto is a lot of fun for T.O fans
zk97, Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 9:58 p.m.
Farewell
Richard was up against the league when he played and he was also removed quite a large amount of assists.

My main reason is because he’s better in the playoffs, probably one of the most clutch playoff performers of all time, and in terms of team quality Howe’s team was way better. Richard was just considerably more clutch.

This situation is similar to my stance on the Heiskanen-Makar debate. Switch players if scenarios and you’d see a massive difference.

True, but Howe was so good for so long, even as the team around him changed. Agreed that Richard was the better playoff performer (if not the greatest ever).

As for the latter point-I'm going to assume for your sanity's sake that you're not calling Heiskanen better than Makar, because that would be blasphemy. Obviously Makar has a WAY better team around him, but just watch him play. He's the best in the league, and it's really not that close (and I say this while rooting for the Lightning, who have a guy named Victor Hedman on the blue line)
Apr. 13, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Devil

I know right, My buddy from Texas who is a Yankees fan is getting so annoyed, it is so funny
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 10:03 p.m.
Go leafs go

I mean he’s not top 10 in points all time, or even close to it. I doubt he’s top 10 in Art Ross or Hart trophies. Is t top 20 in cup, etc…

I think he is top 10, to be clear. Not top 5, if probably rank him 6-7 all time. I’m just saying there’s a legit argument that he isn’t top 10.
Apr. 13, 2022 at 10:12 p.m.
Jinx god
True, but Howe was so good for so long, even as the team around him changed. Agreed that Richard was the better playoff performer (if not the greatest ever).

As for the latter point-I'm going to assume for your sanity's sake that you're not calling Heiskanen better than Makar, because that would be blasphemy. Obviously Makar has a WAY better team around him, but just watch him play. He's the best in the league, and it's really not that close (and I say this while rooting for the Lightning, who have a guy named Victor Hedman on the blue line)

Like I said, if you would switch them on draft day I’m not sure it’d look like how it does today. As of right now Makar is clearly the best dman in the league, but his development was incredibly well put by the likes of Sakic and Bednar.

Started playing him a year close to two after he was drafted (at 20 years old), played glued to the Mackinnon line and was played with good d partners. They couldn’t of done a better job developing him.

Meanwhile Heiskanen was glued to Comeau, Faksa and Cogliano (3 ECHL’ers) from 19 to last year (last year he pretty much only played with bums), and his d partner has never been good except this year where Lindell is decent. And played for arguably the worst coach in the league (who probably had a major impact on him).

Put Makar with those bums and Heiskanen with those titans at 18-20 years old and it very well could’ve been different. If you would switch them of scenarios now it wouldn’t matter since they’re developed (Makar>Heiskanen), but when they’re brand new in the big leagues it could very well of been different.

Only thing Heiskanen is better at than Makar currently is in the playoffs.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll