Forums/Armchair-GM

2022-23 Sens

Created by: Alfie11
Team: 2022-23 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 7, 2022
Published: Apr. 10, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Don’t win the draft lottery, take Slafkovsky. Fiala would slide over to RW once Slafkovsky makes it (Joseph bumps down). Could also offer Giroux 7.5-8mil to take a 2 year deal, which would be better tbh. Screw over Toronto by picking up a solid young RD that they won't be able to match if they want to keep Sandin and still have a starting goalie next year. Hamonic's only got one year left which is good, and whichever one of Zub, Liljegren, Thomson, and JBD is the odd man out can be used as a trade chip down the line. Giroux should be an excellent mentor to Pinto and Stutzle, I'd like to experiment with him on either line. It'll also be nice to have some GOOD veteran presence in the room (Watson's fine but he was never a superstar so presumably it can be difficult for Stutzle and co. to relate to his experiences). I haven't heard anything about Kuzmenko recently but maybe we don't even need to trade for Fiala with the breakout of Joseph if we sign Kuzmenko. I feel like the only real hole on this team long term is in net, as presumably 2 of Zub/Liljegren/JBD/Thomson round out a good top 4 because I have faith in Sanderson, top 9 looks real good and there are still guys like Greig and Sokolov on the way, plus a 2nd tier of depth guys consisting of Guenette, Kleven, Crookshank, and Boucher. In net hopefully Forsberg can hold down the fort until Gustavsson or Sogaard are ready to take over (or Merilainen or Mandalese but I feel like they'll take longer if they ever make it).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
3$2,750,000
3$2,750,000
8$7,875,000
8$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Liljegren, Timothy$3,500,000
2023 2nd round pick
Trades
OTT
ARI
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (TBL)
OTT
  1. Légaré, Nathan
  2. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Brown, Connor ($1,800,000 retained)
Additional Details:
To any playoff team for 1st + prospect
OTT
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
MIN
  1. Brännström, Erik [RFA Rights]
  2. Järventie, Roby
  3. 2023 1st round pick (PIT)
OTT
ANA
  1. Gambrell, Dylan [RFA Rights]
  2. Gaudette, Adam [RFA Rights]
  3. Mete, Victor [RFA Rights]
  4. White, Colin
Additional Details:
Anywhere for anything
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$77,409,880$0$4,465,000$5,090,120
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 6
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
RFA
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 3
$821,667$821,667
C, RW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$818,333$818,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 10, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
Banned
Minnesota has no need for Brannstrom. They aren't trading fiala for what is essentially a 2nd round pick and winger prospect
Apr. 10, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: Carson
Minnesota has no need for Brannstrom. They aren't trading fiala for what is essentially a 2nd round pick and winger prospect

That you need him or not, the player is a currency. Let's say for this hypothetical scenario that the Wild flip him right away for a 2nd round pick

And will Pittsburgh make the ECF next year? When will they start declining?!
Apr. 10, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Love everything about this.

You might have gotten a bit ambitious on Giroux's salary, and the Liljegren offersheet, but I love the idea
Alfie11 liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Xspyrit
That you need him or not, the player is a currency. Let's say for this hypothetical scenario that the Wild flip him right away for a 2nd round pick

And will Pittsburgh make the ECF next year? When will they start declining?!

Ottowa can trade him elsewhere then. It's nit incumbent on Minnesota to do so when Even on d, Minnesota is already stacked with 8 good d under contract and numerous top d prospects
Apr. 10, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
It's a maybe for Pittsburgh. The next couple drafts are going to be pretty deep, and the Penguins prospect pool is more like a shallow puddle. They'd be giving up a 1st and a solid prospect for only a year of Brown, because they probably won't be able to resign him. However, Brown's on a 50 point pace this season and received Selke votes last year. He'd likely have a career year next to either Crosby or Malkin if he plays in the top 6. Not denying his talents, but I think the price is a little steep unless the Sens can take back some cap, probably either Zucker or Pettersson.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Ottowa can trade him elsewhere then. It's nit incumbent on Minnesota to do so when Even on d, Minnesota is already stacked with 8 good d under contract and numerous top d prospects

Always keep in mind we're talking HYPOTHETICALLY

So let's say that Minnesota decided to trade Fiala and they really want that Ottawa's 1st round pick (let's say they think Sens are going to miss the playoffs) and Jarventie is a prospect they are high on, do you think they would turn down the trade because Brannstrom (3rd best piece in the deal) is not "needed"?

Like I said, it would be a CURRENCY in that situation.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: Xspyrit
Always keep in mind we're talking HYPOTHETICALLY

So let's say that Minnesota decided to trade Fiala and they really want that Ottawa's 1st round pick (let's say they think Sens are going to miss the playoffs) and Jarventie is a prospect they are high on, do you think they would turn down the trade because Brannstrom (3rd best piece in the deal) is not "needed"?

Like I said, it would be a CURRENCY in that situation.

Ottawa has more than enough pieces/assets to swap out Brännström for something that is actually of need or interest, that forcing him into the trade is asinine.

Furthermore, it's the Pittsburgh 1st being flipped to Minnesota here. Not Ottawa's. Which isn't particularly enticing on multiple fronts. Two B-level prospects and a likely low 1st don't get it done. Something needs to get upgraded here. And that's Brännström to something better.
Xspyrit liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
Hii
Quoting: RazWild
Ottawa has more than enough pieces/assets to swap out Brännström for something that is actually of need or interest, that forcing him into the trade is asinine.

Furthermore, it's the Pittsburgh 1st being flipped to Minnesota here. Not Ottawa's. Which isn't particularly enticing on multiple fronts. Two B-level prospects and a likely low 1st don't get it done. Something needs to get upgraded here. And that's Brännström to something better.

I think that you guys forgot what very similar players got when they were traded. Reinhart got what they knew was essentially a second and a great goalie prospect but he was way more valuable for multiple reasons so it's not unheard of that Fiala gets a close to NHL ready winger prospect and a late first. In fact it could be less based on that Reinhart trade.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
Edited Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.

Oh true, forgot it wasn't Ottawa 1st

In that case, I'd agree you might as well upgrade Brannstrom.
RazWild liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Hii
I think that you guys forgot what very similar players got when they were traded. Reinhart got what they knew was essentially a second and a great goalie prospect but he was way more valuable for multiple reasons so it's not unheard of that Fiala gets a close to NHL ready winger prospect and a late first. In fact it could be less based on that Reinhart trade.

Reinhart was at a .76 PPG pace when traded. Fiala is currently at a .89 PPG and has routinely been around the .90 mark this year. That's a massive enough difference that begets a marked higher return in value in any potential trade.

Simply put, Fiala will get more back in any potential trade. Reinhart is a fair comp, but people refuse to take current standards into focus. It's the value Reinhart would go for now... which would be higher then last year, that people need to consider. That is Fiala's current value.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 5:39 p.m.
Hii
Reinhart was at a .76 PPG pace when traded. Fiala is currently at a .89 PPG and has routinely been around the .90 mark this year. That's a massive enough difference that begets a marked higher return in value in any potential trade.

Simply put, Fiala will get more back in any potential trade. Reinhart is a fair comp, but people refuse to take current standards into focus. It's the value Reinhart would go for now... which would be higher then last year, that people need to consider. That is Fiala's current value.

It's a 13 point difference while big is partly made up by his linemates. Fiala gets to play with Kaprizov, Zuccerelo and Boldy while also not having the play against the other teams best shutdown line while Reinhart was used in all situations for Buffalo is a center which automaticly augments his value cause centers are more valued while playing great in all three zones. Reinhart was partly gotten because of his defensive relability whereas Fiala is not a player I would have out on the powerplay. Reinhart was also putting them in the net a whole lot more than Fiala in the year he was traded and didn't have anybody to set up cause there was no one else. If I was a GM then the Reinhart trade is what I would strickly follow cause they were very similar in the years that there where traded and if Minnisota wants more there loss. His value might even be worth less to start free agency cause of the wealth of top end wingers in this years market.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
Quoting: Hii
It's a 13 point difference while big is partly made up by his linemates. Fiala gets to play with Kaprizov, Zuccerelo and Boldy while also not having the play against the other teams best shutdown line while Reinhart was used in all situations for Buffalo is a center which automaticly augments his value cause centers are more valued while playing great in all three zones. Reinhart was partly gotten because of his defensive relability whereas Fiala is not a player I would have out on the powerplay. Reinhart was also putting them in the net a whole lot more than Fiala in the year he was traded and didn't have anybody to set up cause there was no one else. If I was a GM then the Reinhart trade is what I would strickly follow cause they were very similar in the years that there where traded and if Minnisota wants more there loss. His value might even be worth less to start free agency cause of the wealth of top end wingers in this years market.

1) Fiala is utilized on the PK. He's become a much better two-way player over the last two seasons. He's not the defensive liability he used to be, even though he'll never be a Selke candidate. He may not ever be great, but he's a solid two-way player now. To think he's not defensively sound is incredibly misguided and to not know the player.

2) Fiala only plays with Kaprizov and Zuccarello on the PP. With Boldy's inclusion on the roster he's seen more PP2 time then not to spread out our offense. Boldy has more or less taken his spot on the PP1 unit.

3) Fiala has been on a 70 point pace on his own without linemates of note for the last three years. Same as Reinhart. Yet he's still been a top 5 possession player and playdriver in the league in that same timespan, in spite of that. Reinhart has not. More important position or not. Fiala is a 80+ point player with actual help on his line, and would slot onto Stutzle's wing in Ottawa which means he's a guaranteed 90+ point player there.

Even as a RFA, that kind of production will cost a team in acquisition. Fiala is also one of only 3 players in that high-end talent market that will be under the age of 27 which provides longevity and no drop off will be expected. Whoever gets him, will be getting him during his prime years. The same can not be said of the bulk of those that will be available or on the open market. Which further increases his value. Interest around the league for Fiala will be extremely high.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
Quoting: PLDGEY
Love everything about this.

You might have gotten a bit ambitious on Giroux's salary, and the Liljegren offersheet, but I love the idea

Honestly I’m not too fussed about the Giroux contract, as long as he wants to sign here I think a deal will get done, and as long as it’s not longer than 3 years, I won’t really care what the AAV is because we can make it work. I am curious when we start moving from long term deals (like Chabot, Tkachuk, and Batherson) to bridge deals to help with the cap situation. My guess is Stutzle and Pinto get bridged, I think they’ll try to lock up Norris long term though.

As for the Liljegren offer sheet, that’s mostly just for fun, I don’t think it’ll happen because the NHL is boring though. I feel like we probably won’t move on from Zaitsev and it’ll be him with Holden on the 3rd pair next year. I do think our 2nds are expendable at this point though, and it’s fun to screw over Toronto. Picking up a 23yo RD with top 4 upside for a 2nd is a good deal, and they’ll really struggle to make the money work/justify that price tag even if they can make it work, whereas there’s really no downside for us.

This would be a great offseason, so naturally it’s not gonna happen lol
PLDGEY liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll