Forums/Armchair-GM

Testing Market Value

Created by: McPhee_Moustache
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2022
Published: Apr. 12, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm interested to hear from Kings and Habs fans on what would be a fair trade value for Gabriel Vilardi.
I see he is playing 3rd line wing 2nd PP C and I could see Habs management eyeing him as a possible fit for 2C behind Suzuki.
Given LA has several high skilled C in the pipeline, I think they could entertain a trade for a serviceable winger.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on what Vilardi's worth is on the trade market and what current Hab could fill a roster need for the Kings.

The trade with Armia is just a placeholder. The real question for responses is gauging the market value for Vilardi.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Slafkovsky, Juraj
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Vilardi, Gabriel [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (ANA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$69,188,749$1,132,500$1,570,000$13,311,251
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Slafkovsky, Juraj
$925,000$925,000
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 12, 2022 at 11:45 a.m.
Difficult but as much as I've always liked him, Armia has little value. Hes had a horrendous deal and while "not old": 3.4mil for a few more years is alot for him, after the season hes had. At this point it might take a 3rd (its only about 75th overall) just to move armia alone.

Maybe LA takes out the 2023 3rd. So its armia, a 2nd and a 3rd for Vilardi, but somebody else probably counters with a better offer without an armia.
McPhee_Moustache liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
No longer a Virgin
As a Habs fan, Armia has negative value. Bergy played him for one playoff run and didn't re-sign his linemates. Price, Dvo, Hoffman, Petry and Armia are five brutal contracts that MB left behind as a parting gift.
McPhee_Moustache and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Quoting: stephane_robidas
As a Habs fan, Armia has negative value. Bergy played him for one playoff run and didn't re-sign his linemates. Price, Dvo, Hoffman, Petry and Armia are five brutal contracts that MB left behind as a parting gift.

I Agree that Armia is probably not top on LA list of players. If a deal were to be had, I wonder who LA would target from MTL as a fit on their team??
Apr. 12, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Armia has little to no value to LA. He wouldn't be anyone the Kings would target. In addition, the Kings aren't going to give up Vilardi for anything less than the equivalent of a decent first round pick.

The Kings and Montreal just aren't good trade partners currently because there is very little on the Montreal roster that fits the criteria of 1) Being someone the Kings would want and 2) Being someone Montreal would be willing to move. The Kings key points of need are #1/#2 LD with size or a guaranteed top 6 winger. The players need to fit their rebuild window/age group and would replace one of Iafallo or Moore at wing or slot into the #2LD spot. And they aren't looking for more draft picks/project prospects because they are coming out of the rebuild. It wouldn't make sense to trade Vilardi for someone that won't affect the NHL squad for another two years.

So players like that on Montreal's roster are Caufield, Anderson, Dvorak MAYBE (He's mostly a center I believe, which the Kings don't need more of), Romanov, or Guhle (who I think is close enough that LA would be willing to take a swing there). Strike Anderson out because his contract is terrible and he is injured often. And like I alluded to, most likely cross Dvorak out unless the Kings think he could play a top-6 role as a wing (I don't think the Kings believe that). Gallagher and Hoffman don't even enter the conversation, which is bound to disappoint all the MTL fans who constantly try to send them to LA.

That leaves the pickings for LA at: Caufield, Romanov, or Guhle. None of whom I'm imagining Montreal is willing to give up. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying those players are 1-to-1 value for Vilardi. Just the pieces that a package could be built around, where one of the team adds depending on which player Montreal is willing to move. Obviously LA would have to add for Caufield. Romanov is likely close to 1-to-1 value, and because there's been no impact in the NHL for Guhle yet, I'd imagine Montreal adds there.
SydBarrett, SevenLeg, McPhee_Moustache and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Good points!

Given that. Would you see Vilardi as a player being targeted by MTL to fill in the 2C spot?

If yes and the Kings aren't a match for a trade. What other similar type player would you look to target?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: McPhee_Moustache
Good points!

Given that. Would you see Vilardi as a player being targeted by MTL to fill in the 2C spot?

If yes and the Kings aren't a match for a trade. What other similar type player would you look to target?

I think Vilardi could be a good 2C, with time and the right linemates. I'd be shocked if teams weren't calling Blake about him. LA threw him to the wolves a year ago as their defacto 2C when they had no center depth. He did fine offensively, but his legs and defensive game needed significant work. Since Danault and Byfield have been brought in, the Kings thought it best to move Gabe to the wing, which is where he's been this season. He takes a ton of faceoffs still (whenever Byfield gets kicked out, or the faceoff is on Vilardi's strong side).

As far as Montreal targets, I have no idea. Being a Kings fan I haven't looked into possible center options, as it's the last thing the Kings need more of.
McPhee_Moustache and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
I think Vilardi could be a good 2C, with time and the right linemates. I'd be shocked if teams weren't calling Blake about him. LA threw him to the wolves a year ago as their defacto 2C when they had no center depth. He did fine offensively, but his legs and defensive game needed significant work. Since Danault and Byfield have been brought in, the Kings thought it best to move Gabe to the wing, which is where he's been this season. He takes a ton of faceoffs still (whenever Byfield gets kicked out, or the faceoff is on Vilardi's strong side).

As far as Montreal targets, I have no idea. Being a Kings fan I haven't looked into possible center options, as it's the last thing the Kings need more of.

Your thoughts line up with my assessment of Vilardi. With a large wealth of talent in young prospects, this is a great problem for LA Kings fans to have.

Where do you see Turcotte fitting in long term?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
Armia has little to no value to LA. He wouldn't be anyone the Kings would target. In addition, the Kings aren't going to give up Vilardi for anything less than the equivalent of a decent first round pick.

The Kings and Montreal just aren't good trade partners currently because there is very little on the Montreal roster that fits the criteria of 1) Being someone the Kings would want and 2) Being someone Montreal would be willing to move. The Kings key points of need are #1/#2 LD with size or a guaranteed top 6 winger. The players need to fit their rebuild window/age group and would replace one of Iafallo or Moore at wing or slot into the #2LD spot. And they aren't looking for more draft picks/project prospects because they are coming out of the rebuild. It wouldn't make sense to trade Vilardi for someone that won't affect the NHL squad for another two years.

So players like that on Montreal's roster are Caufield, Anderson, Dvorak MAYBE (He's mostly a center I believe, which the Kings don't need more of), Romanov, or Guhle (who I think is close enough that LA would be willing to take a swing there). Strike Anderson out because his contract is terrible and he is injured often. And like I alluded to, most likely cross Dvorak out unless the Kings think he could play a top-6 role as a wing (I don't think the Kings believe that). Gallagher and Hoffman don't even enter the conversation, which is bound to disappoint all the MTL fans who constantly try to send them to LA.

That leaves the pickings for LA at: Caufield, Romanov, or Guhle. None of whom I'm imagining Montreal is willing to give up. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying those players are 1-to-1 value for Vilardi. Just the pieces that a package could be built around, where one of the team adds depending on which player Montreal is willing to move. Obviously LA would have to add for Caufield. Romanov is likely close to 1-to-1 value, and because there's been no impact in the NHL for Guhle yet, I'd imagine Montreal adds there.

Well, hell . . . that's better than anything I was going to say.
Apr. 12, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: McPhee_Moustache
Your thoughts line up with my assessment of Vilardi. With a large wealth of talent in young prospects, this is a great problem for LA Kings fans to have.

Where do you see Turcotte fitting in long term?

Good question. In his call-up, the Kings had Turcotte playing 3C (in place of Byfield before he got back from his injury). But there were a couple games where they put him on wing.

I have been someone who thinks Turcotte's long-term success with LA will be in the spot that Vilardi is currently playing -- to the left of Byfield. Obviously that's not what is currently happening, but LA is playing the slow-burn development in the AHL with Turcotte as he grows into man-strength and muscles. Currently he's still too injury prone. But the hope is that in 2 years, he's another Danault/Mike Richard's type player.
McPhee_Moustache liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll