SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Ylonen nationality

Apr. 14, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
What in tarnation
So I just noticed that the site shows MTL forward Jesse Ylönen's nationality to be only US.

Doesn't the guy have dual citizenship of Finland and US though? I mean he's played for Finland in juniors and his father Juha is also a former Finnish hockey player.

If anyone knows better, do tell, but I think he's got two nationalities, similar to many other players.
Apr. 14, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: justaBoss
So I just noticed that the site shows MTL forward Jesse Ylönen's nationality to be only US.

Doesn't the guy have dual citizenship of Finland and US though? I mean he's played for Finland in juniors and his father Juha is also a former Finnish hockey player.

If anyone knows better, do tell, but I think he's got two nationalities, similar to many other players.

Born in Arizona
Apr. 14, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Born in Arizona

Probably the only reason he's got US nationality too

He's played his whole junior career in Finland and represented them in WJCs.
Apr. 14, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Probably the only reason he's got US nationality too

I thunk they moved vack to finland when ylonen was older so he could play hockey in Liga
Apr. 15, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Don't confuse a person's nationality and what team he is eligible to play for. The play can pick what national team he plays for, if certain criteria are met (parent birth_
Apr. 15, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: palhal
Don't confuse a person's nationality and what team he is eligible to play for. The play can pick what national team he plays for, if certain criteria are met (parent birth_

Regardless I'm sure you'd need a cizitenship of that nation in order to play for them. So that'd be a case of dual nationality, wouldn't it?

Plenty of other sites such as Eliteprospects and even Wikipedia lists the man as Finnish-American player.
Apr. 15, 2022 at 7:43 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Regardless I'm sure you'd need a cizitenship of that nation in order to play for them. So that'd be a case of dual nationality, wouldn't it?

Plenty of other sites such as Eliteprospects and even Wikipedia lists the man as Finnish-American player.

Not all the time There has been plenty of players/contestants in the the Olympics where players got to pick their "country team" just because their parents or one of their parents was native to that country.
Players can't switch back and forth. Once they start competing for one country....they can't switch to another.
Now did all those players get citizenship of this new country?,
Apr. 15, 2022 at 7:56 p.m.
What in tarnation
Not all the time There has been plenty of players/contestants in the the Olympics where players got to pick their "country team" just because their parents or one of their parents was native to that country.
Players can't switch back and forth. Once they start competing for one country....they can't switch to another.
Now did all those players get citizenship of this new country?,

I think so yes. I think there's three ways of gaining a citizenship of a nation. You can become a citizen of a nation if:
- you're a descendant of nation's citizen, or
- if you reside in a country long enough to apply for the citizenship, or
- if you are born in there.

Obviously it's not this black and white all the time and there's bound to be different ways of interpreting this in different countries, but I digress.

For example in the most recent Olympics in team China there were a plenty of Canadian players who had been playing long enough in China's KHL team to apply for the citizenship.
Apr. 15, 2022 at 7:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think so yes. I think there's three ways of gaining a citizenship of a nation. You can become a citizen of a nation if:
- you're a descendant of nation's citizen, or
- if you reside in a country long enough to apply for the citizenship, or
- if you are born in there.

Obviously it's not this black and white all the time and there's bound to be different ways of interpreting this in different countries, but I digress.

For example in the most recent Olympics in team China there were a plenty of Canadian players who had been playing long enough in China's KHL team to apply for the citizenship.

I could have been easily a citizen of China. When I visited there for a month, I could have married dozens of times if I had taken up some of the offers from womenHeart Eyes
justaBoss, A_Habs_fan, TheFastAndTheFleuryous and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 15, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
What in tarnation
I could have been easily a citizen of China. When I visited there for a month, I could have married dozens of times if I had taken up some of the offers from womenHeart Eyes

Lmao I think it would've had to been a bit longer than a month.

But say if you had a child with a native woman during that trip I think they would've become a dual citizen of China and Canada...maybe. I'm not completely sure of how Canada interprets this.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

But say if you had a child with a native woman during that trip I think they would've become a dual citizen of China and Canada...maybe. I'm not completely sure of how Canada interprets this.

Unfortunately I was with my wife at there time....LOL. I widowed now, maybe I should go back. Nordic women are very nice and smart....maybe you can introduce to a Finnish woman.
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 15, 2022 at 9:09 p.m.
What in tarnation
Unfortunately I was with my wife at there time....LOL. I widowed now, maybe I should go back. Nordic women are very nice and smart....maybe you can introduce to a Finnish woman.

Lmao laugh
Apr. 16, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Not sure how the Canadian government interrupts it, but I know how my wife would have. Kinda funny, we had a tour of 24 tourists....almost all Canadians, and would go back and tell them of my "near marriage" experience. In Canada at the time, I would have been just a 60 year old retired white guy, but a in China, a rich stud.
A_Habs_fan and justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 17, 2022 at 8:28 p.m.
WentWughes
Capfriendly has no interest in being correct when it comes to this. He's American-Finnish, but represents Finland at the international level. Somehow they think that showing the USA flag should be correct... there's many people like that on this website, but I no longer look at Capfriendly for the correct Nationality, rather EliteProspects is better when it comes to this.
Apr. 18, 2022 at 8:38 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Capfriendly has no interest in being correct when it comes to this. He's American-Finnish, but represents Finland at the international level. Somehow they think that showing the USA flag should be correct... there's many people like that on this website, but I no longer look at Capfriendly for the correct Nationality, rather EliteProspects is better when it comes to this.

This is not true, we are simply human and make mistakes.

Ylonen is corrected. If you find other mistakes, let us know so we can correct it.
A_Habs_fan, justaBoss, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 18, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Banks
This is not true, we are simply human and make mistakes.

Ylonen is corrected. If you find other mistakes, let us know so we can correct it.

Rem Pitlick is American
Cole Sillinger is Canadian
Josh Manson is Canadian
Brendan Lemieux is Canadian

Sorry if I came off strong. I mentioned one of those guys and a mod came off rather strong so I figured you guys just didn't care.
Banks and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Apr. 18, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Rem Pitlick is American
Cole Sillinger is Canadian
Josh Manson is Canadian
Brendan Lemieux is Canadian

Sorry if I came off strong. I mentioned one of those guys and a mod came off rather strong so I figured you guys just didn't care.

All corrected thank you
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Banks
All corrected thank you

MARK KASTELIC is American
Apr. 25, 2022 at 7:45 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
MARK KASTELIC is American

Corrected thank you