Forums/Armchair-GM

Just for kicks Out of the box idea

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 22, 2022
Published: Apr. 22, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
TOR has more money than any other NHL team, but they can't have a higher cap ceiling than any other team. To TOR's credit, they're pretty gosh darn good at being able to sign young college kids like Steeves and Ellis from Notre Dame without using any draft capital at all. And even prying away Curtis Douglas from Dallas. They've even been able to find quality players in the 2nd/3rd rounds like Knies, Robertson, Topi, etc... They can't however, make the cap go any higher for them vs other teams. So spend the assets it takes to make the cap higher.

Murphy can add a lot when it comes to defensive play and physicality. Those are two things that TOR needs to be looking for. But I'd also mention that you're not going to find a RHD with those qualities for a contract of 4 years $2.2M. You won't even get remotely close to that.

As a side note...can you imagine paying Mrazek $6M a year?!?!?! That's what the Hawks are doing for the next two years.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,250,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Borgström, Henrik
  2. Murphy, Connor ($2,200,000 retained)
CHI
  1. Knies, Matthew [Reserve List]
  2. Mrázek, Petr
  3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,552,283$212,500$0-$52,283
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
UFA - 5
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:37 a.m.
Not worth it. The whole cap structure is that eventually guys like Knies and those first rounders will come and be very effective right away with good drafting and development, giving us solid players on ELC deals. Thats our best chance at gaining cap space, through great ELC (ex. Liljegren and Sandin) and bargain (ex. Bunting) players.
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Owly
Murphy isn't a 4+ million dollar defender
Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier

I simply disagree. He's been really good. The team as a whole isn't good and when you have 70% Dzone starts on a sub par team...and you ignore the eye test...you might think he's not a $4M+ defender, but that would be wrong.
Garak, Ajp_18 and ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: leafs101
Not worth it. The whole cap structure is that eventually guys like Knies and those first rounders will come and be very effective right away with good drafting and development, giving us solid players on ELC deals. Thats our best chance at gaining cap space, through great ELC (ex. Liljegren and Sandin) and bargain (ex. Bunting) players.

Hypothetically speaking here. If TOR loses in the 1st round again and they get beat up in the playoffs. Why wouldn't they go after a power defensive Dman? I can understand the butout of Mrazek and it's only approx $1M a year. The trade above not only takes that $1M away, but also provides a TRUE shutdown power defender for $2.2M for 4 years. That's $3.2M in cap savings for 4 years each, that no other team has. You can find the Robertson, Knies, etc... TOR's proven they can do that. $3.2M is a true advantage.

The hardest part (I'm guessing is Knies, because he's a more known commodity than picks). Swap him out for a different prospect. Maybe Topi because of Murph/Timmy/Sandin/etc...
Apr. 22, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.

If I’m Chicago I wouldn’t be trading Murphy, that contract is a massive steal and retaining half of it makes it even more if a steal.
exo2769 and ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Ajp_18

If I’m Chicago I wouldn’t be trading Murphy, that contract is a massive steal and retaining half of it makes it even more if a steal.

THIS RIGHT HERE. But the Hawks are rebuilding. I'd still do the trade.
Ajp_18 and ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 12:29 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: exo2769
I simply disagree. He's been really good. The team as a whole isn't good and when you have 70% Dzone starts on a sub par team...and you ignore the eye test...you might think he's not a $4M+ defender, but that would be wrong.

Then keep him. Knies is more valuable and Mrazek doesn't cost this much to move. Hard pass
Apr. 22, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs are much better signing Lubyshin for 2.2m and keeping Knies, and the picks. Mrzarek is buyout at 1m X 4 years.
As Leafs101 said above, the Leafs are going to need their ELCs players, Knies and the picks to make the team to make the cap work.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Owly

I love the classic used car salesmanship here. This is definitely your style of post. Put out an absolute massive landslide trade win for you and then explain how amazing the player you are sending out the door is to justify it. Doing it purely to get into arguments with leaf fans. If Murphy is so good, why are you moving him without replacing him.
Ritzy liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Danny Mr. GM Briere

you're right

considering the seth jones contract, hes a 10+ million dollar defender
Apr. 22, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: Sicksi
you're right

considering the seth jones contract, hes a 10+ million dollar defender

That's now how it works, Jones is a bad contract and Murphy isn't great either
Apr. 22, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 22, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
I love the classic used car salesmanship here. This is definitely your style of post. Put out an absolute massive landslide trade win for you and then explain how amazing the player you are sending out the door is to justify it. Doing it purely to get into arguments with leaf fans. If Murphy is so good, why are you moving him without replacing him.

It's because TOR and CHI are in different places. TOR needs to win now (soon). CHI is rebuilding. CHI can eat cap dumps and eat salary while developing players. There's zero guarantee Regula is a permanent NHLer. BUT if you're rebuilding like the Hawks are...then the result is either A.) he's and NHLer and good for him/Hawks or B.) You get a better draft position for a rebuild. TOR is in the same boat with Timmy, but very different results. Timmy is either A.) an NHLer, but not a given or B.) you miss your window because you we're willing to do what TBL, FLA, BOS, CGY were willing to do.

It's why Hagel was traded for (2) 1sts and TOR needs to get past the 1st round. TOR can absolutely rely on Timmy to be your defensive stopper RHD. TOR can absolutely start Mrazek in the playoffs. TOR can do a lot of things. If you're looking to win a Stanley cup...be prepared to do what other teams are doing. You're going to face a team in the 1st round that just punched TOR in the mouth and TOR crumbled. Maybe try fighting back more than just Simmonds fighting Maroon. Get better more proven players in their prime. That's what TBL, FLA, BOS, and CGY did. Let's see how this plays out.
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
Owly
It's because TOR and CHI are in different places. TOR needs to win now (soon). CHI is rebuilding. CHI can eat cap dumps and eat salary while developing players. There's zero guarantee Regula is a permanent NHLer. BUT if you're rebuilding like the Hawks are...then the result is either A.) he's and NHLer and good for him/Hawks or B.) You get a better draft position for a rebuild. TOR is in the same boat with Timmy, but very different results. Timmy is either A.) an NHLer, but not a given or B.) you miss your window because you we're willing to do what TBL, FLA, BOS, CGY were willing to do.

It's why Hagel was traded for (2) 1sts and TOR needs to get past the 1st round. TOR can absolutely rely on Timmy to be your defensive stopper RHD. TOR can absolutely start Mrazek in the playoffs. TOR can do a lot of things. If you're looking to win a Stanley cup...be prepared to do what other teams are doing. You're going to face a team in the 1st round that just punched TOR in the mouth and TOR crumbled. Maybe try fighting back more than just Simmonds fighting Maroon. Get better more proven players in their prime. That's what TBL, FLA, BOS, and CGY did. Let's see how this plays out.

You are just thirsty for battling leaf fans. TO has out played Tampa in 3 of 4 games against this season. 2-1-1 record. But let's ignore everything except what gives you a chance to get a dig in eh? Go to bed
Apr. 22, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
You are just thirsty for battling leaf fans. TO has out played Tampa in 3 of 4 games against this season. 2-1-1 record. But let's ignore everything except what gives you a chance to get a dig in eh? Go to bed

NO! It's not about a dig. The trade below. My team. The VAST majority of people say it's a bad trade. I love it. Bowman went for it. We tried to find a way to win every year and guess what. We did win on three occasions. Dubas knows what he's up against and that's not just from an on ice point of view, but also a cap point of view. Stamkos has an $8.5M contract, but Marner is $10.9m. Is 5 points worth an extra $2.4M? HECK NO. How about $7.8M for a 5x top 3 Norris candidate? Dubas has to find ways to get term players on good contracts. ELCs are maybe's, even Knies! I loved watching him play in MIN, I'd love to have him on the Hawks...If your expectation is ELCs come in to be Conn Smythe winners...I guess??? That's certainly a bold strategy. It's about going for a cup and knowing everyone else is pushing in the chips. Will TOR?

As for the trade results below. It's pure hindsight to say that pick was going to turn into anything. I want my team to go for a cup. TOR should want their GM to be someone understands what it takes. You have to be aggressive. Why wouldn't you? Maybe Bowman should have talked more to Q before Q just benched Weise, but that's history.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/12878
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.

Your comment is absolutely hysterical!!!! As if the regular season matters so much and is indicative of the post season LOL It's like you haven't learned anything the last 5 consecutive years laugh
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
Owly
NO! It's not about a dig. The trade below. My team. The VAST majority of people say it's a bad trade. I love it. Bowman went for it. We tried to find a way to win every year and guess what. We did win on three occasions. Dubas knows what he's up against and that's not just from an on ice point of view, but also a cap point of view. Stamkos has an $8.5M contract, but Marner is $10.9m. Is 5 points worth an extra $2.4M? HECK NO. How about $7.8M for a 5x top 3 Norris candidate? Dubas has to find ways to get term players on good contracts. ELCs are maybe's, even Knies! I loved watching him play in MIN, I'd love to have him on the Hawks...If your expectation is ELCs come in to be Conn Smythe winners...I guess??? That's certainly a bold strategy. It's about going for a cup and knowing everyone else is pushing in the chips. Will TOR?

As for the trade results below. It's pure hindsight to say that pick was going to turn into anything. I want my team to go for a cup. TOR should want their GM to be someone understands what it takes. You have to be aggressive. Why wouldn't you? Maybe Bowman should have talked more to Q before Q just benched Weise, but that's history.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/12878

This is entirely just a ploy to create drama. It's transparent
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
exo2769
This is entirely just a ploy to create drama. It's transparent

No it's not. It's mean to have a conversation. We can agree to disagree. I just like to provide support for my positions. Not just a two word blah.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: ChiHawk
Your comment is absolutely hysterical!!!! As if the regular season matters so much and is indicative of the post season LOL It's like you haven't learned anything the last 5 consecutive years laugh

Washington, Tampa, St Louis, etc etc. How many teams failed again and again and then won? Many. The Chicago Bulls lost several times before they finally made the jump. This is blatant trolling. If Murphy is so good, why is Chicago so bad at keeping the puck out of their net? And if he's so good, why trade him right after signing him? This is just a post to get leaf fans to argue with Chicago fans. It's ridiculous
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Owly
No it's not. It's mean to have a conversation. We can agree to disagree. I just like to provide support for my positions. Not just a two word blah.

You want to have a conversation? Then why is TO giving a top prospect and 2 firsts to get a 2nd pair defender and dump a goalie they could buy out for a million a season? Nothing here is remotely close to reasonable which makes any conversation just silly. So why would you make the post and do that? Because you want to have reasonable conversation? Nope, you want exactly this, arguments and drama and the chance to say "first round exits, blah blah blah". Just own it, because no one with any sense is going to see it any other way.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
exo2769
Washington, Tampa, St Louis, etc etc. How many teams failed again and again and then won? Many. The Chicago Bulls lost several times before they finally made the jump. This is blatant trolling. If Murphy is so good, why is Chicago so bad at keeping the puck out of their net? And if he's so good, why trade him right after signing him? This is just a post to get leaf fans to argue with Chicago fans. It's ridiculous

There are simple reasons for this, but I'm not sure you care to truly understand or listen. Bowman signed Murphy. He's gone. Davidson says we're rebuilding. That's why the Hawks should be open to trading anyone without a FULL NMC/NTC.

The reason they can't keep the puck out of their net is because practically zero of our forwards know how to defend in transition. It's WAY too easy to enter the zone and the centers defensively as a whole are atrocious. They have poor communicaiton with all the AHLers on the ice trying to learn on the fly.

I'm with you that TOR is a contender. It's going to be very hard when other teams are going all in and TOR simply isn't. Maybe the long approach works, but maybe it doesn't. \
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
exo2769
You want to have a conversation? Then why is TO giving a top prospect and 2 firsts to get a 2nd pair defender and dump a goalie they could buy out for a million a season? Nothing here is remotely close to reasonable which makes any conversation just silly. So why would you make the post and do that? Because you want to have reasonable conversation? Nope, you want exactly this, arguments and drama and the chance to say "first round exits, blah blah blah". Just own it, because no one with any sense is going to see it any other way.

I'm having reasonable conversations with some. From the Hawks point of view. If we could go back and trade Bickell, Plus Turbo and (2) 1sts (Joki and Boqvist) would I accept a #2C for 4 years for $2.2M. Hell ya! We had to trot out Tanner Kero as our #2C for the NSH series. We would have been able to keep Panarin if we had that kind of certainty and that changes everything on the Hawks.
ChiHawk liked this.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Owly
There are simple reasons for this, but I'm not sure you care to truly understand or listen. Bowman signed Murphy. He's gone. Davidson says we're rebuilding. That's why the Hawks should be open to trading anyone without a FULL NMC/NTC.

The reason they can't keep the puck out of their net is because practically zero of our forwards know how to defend in transition. It's WAY too easy to enter the zone and the centers defensively as a whole are atrocious. They have poor communicaiton with all the AHLers on the ice trying to learn on the fly.

I'm with you that TOR is a contender. It's going to be very hard when other teams are going all in and TOR simply isn't. Maybe the long approach works, but maybe it doesn't. \

Giordano? Last year with Foligno? Muzzin? I guess none of that happened did it? Blatant drama creating posts, thirsting for arguments.
Apr. 22, 2022 at 3:57 p.m.
Owly
I'm having reasonable conversations with some. From the Hawks point of view. If we could go back and trade Bickell, Plus Turbo and (2) 1sts (Joki and Boqvist) would I accept a #2C for 4 years for $2.2M. Hell ya! We had to trot out Tanner Kero as our #2C for the NSH series. We would have been able to keep Panarin if we had that kind of certainty and that changes everything on the Hawks.

Cool story, the proposed trade above is ridiculous and a blatant attempt to argue with Leaf fans. Murphy isn't worth half this package and TO doesn't need him.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 11:20 p.m.
Cool story, the proposed trade above is ridiculous and a blatant attempt to argue with Leaf fans. Murphy isn't worth half this package and TO doesn't need him.

Why you so upset? Does this really impact your life this much?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll