Extremely in-depth plan

Created by: Kyle_Okposo_Lover
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2022
Published: Apr. 26, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a Stanley Cup winning lineup no doubt:

Nichushkin-Barzal-Wahlstrom--> Nichushkin signs 2 years to bet on himself for a big pay day in two years, line works well because it has scoring, speed and allows for Barzal to play more offensive because Nichushkin is very good defensively
Lee-Nelson-Beau--> This has worked well. Plain and simple
Bellows-JG-Palms--> Trotz said its time for Bellows to be a full-time guy. This does just that.
Parise-Cizikas-Clutterbuck--> Do not really like it but Parise could maybe find a way to get Cizikas back to 15-20 goal form

Pelech-Pulock: No explanation needed
Reilly-Dobson: Reilly elite. Dobson is king
Soucy-Mayfield: Probably one of the best 3rd pairs in the NHL

Sorokin: top 3 NHL goalie no debate. easily #3 this season
Varly: Back-up. If we get the right price, move him but it seems like Trotz wants to keep him. Hopefully we get Vanecek or Holtby to be #2

Martin comes in for Parise for physical games; Parise can move around in the lineup too
Czarnik was really good when he was in. Put in for injuries and back-to-backs
Salo comes in when players are tired. Hopefully he finds 15-30 games

I think that assuming Chara and Greene retire, Lou will be aggressive for our left side
Hopefully he has the guts to move Bailey

Early on we give Raty a handful of games. Unless he does really well, send him down until playoffs or so. Maybe give Dufour a shot, too. Would not be the end of the world if the bottom 6 started off the first 5-9 games:

Raty-Pageau-Palmieri
Parise-Cizikas-Dufour

Maybe use iterations of this and the original bottom 6 for the first 15 games. Only have Raty in Dufour in for 9 or less, though.
Raty is obviously a center but plays the left side due to a surplus of centers. Put him on PP2 where Bailey used to be?
4th line becomes more of an offensive unit that a shut down line that doesn't even shut down

Powerplay 1:
Wahly gets the one-timer, Lee in front, Nichushkin gets the opposing one-timer but can come in for screens and scraps around the net with Barzal skating. Barzal gets the point with Dobson. Dobson just fills in for where Barzal left when skating with the puck. More of a skate and shoot unit with a lot of screens on the goalie.
Powerplay 2:
Much more of a pass towards the net and find a rebound unit. Create chaos to shove one in. Pass back for a big shot at the point. A lot of fake/real passes to outlets with open nets. Get more of a cross crease mentality instead of being scared. Beauvillier is good at that.

Penalty kill 1 and 2:
I mean there is not much to be said here. All of these guys are good. Dobson>Mayfield but Dobby needs some rest time so Mayfield will do.

This also all gives us the cap space for Sorokin, Wahly and Barzal in a few years
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
1$775,000
1$750,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$872,915
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
2$760,000
3$750,000
3$5,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$5,500,000
Trades
NYI
    They need roster players. Easy way through waivers/trade.
    NYI
    1. Soucy, Carson ($1,375,000 retained)
    SEA
    1. Song, Andong [Reserve List]
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
    3. 2024 4th round pick (NYI)
    NYI
    1. 2022 5th round pick (BOS)
    OTT
    1. Bailey, Josh
    2. Machu, Tomas [Reserve List]
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    Senators have the cap, could add an additional middle 6 winger and take the extra pick.
    BOS
    1. 2022 3rd round pick (NYI)
    2. 2022 5th round pick (NYI)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$81,647,878$245,796$1,287,500$852,122

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $872,915$872,915
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $6,150,000$6,150,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 8
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Seattle Kraken
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $760,000$760,000
    LD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:29 a.m.
    DobsonIsUntouchable
    Can we hire you as GM?
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:31 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    Quoting: AndrewGoalie33
    Can we hire you as GM?

im honored smile
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:35 a.m.
    Daws is underrated
    Quoting: oliver_wahlstrom
    im honored smile

bro fr i see so much f***ing potential in this line up. really hit it on the spot
    Kyle_Okposo_Lover liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:37 a.m.
    we miss leo k
    I'd be fine giving Nichushkin term on that deal if he wanted. Ideally 5x$5.5M, takes him through his age-32 season and you're hopefully not getting stuck with too much of his decline on that. Grit your teeth and kick in the 6th season if that's a dealbreaker for him.

I just have the gut feeling that Lou isn't going to just dump Bailey's deal out of a sense of loyalty to him - say what you want about it but Lou loves his "good soldiers" and I can't think of any current Islander who fits that bill better than Bailey. It means you basically have to choose between Reilly or Soucy to play LD2 and then cycle in Salo/Bolduc?/The Ghost of Andy Greene into LD3. That pair can be sheltered if necessary - maybe double shift Pelech a couple times in the 3rd with Mayfield if you need that tight defense. You can free up the rest of the money you'd need to carry Bailey's contract by sacrificing one of Czarnik/Bellows and giving Dobson like $250K less (it's early and I am too tired to do accurate math right now.) I don't love it, but Bailey has shown some life skating with Pageau & Palmieri, so let that ride and see if it can keep momentum going next year.

Also, lol @ finding and trading AnDong Song's rights - is that dude even playing anywhere anymore? HockeyDB has him MIA since 2017-18 in the USHL.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
    DobsonIsUntouchable
    Quoting: dannibalcorpse
    I'd be fine giving Nichushkin term on that deal if he wanted. Ideally 5x$5.5M, takes him through his age-32 season and you're hopefully not getting stuck with too much of his decline on that. Grit your teeth and kick in the 6th season if that's a dealbreaker for him.

I just have the gut feeling that Lou isn't going to just dump Bailey's deal out of a sense of loyalty to him - say what you want about it but Lou loves his "good soldiers" and I can't think of any current Islander who fits that bill better than Bailey. It means you basically have to choose between Reilly or Soucy to play LD2 and then cycle in Salo/Bolduc?/The Ghost of Andy Greene into LD3. That pair can be sheltered if necessary - maybe double shift Pelech a couple times in the 3rd with Mayfield if you need that tight defense. You can free up the rest of the money you'd need to carry Bailey's contract by sacrificing one of Czarnik/Bellows and giving Dobson like $250K less (it's early and I am too tired to do accurate math right now.) I don't love it, but Bailey has shown some life skating with Pageau & Palmieri, so let that ride and see if it can keep momentum going next year.

Also, lol finding and trading AnDong Song's rights - is that dude even playing anywhere anymore? HockeyDB has him MIA since 2017-18 in the USHL.

Apparently Song is at Cornell right now, according to Elite Prospects, but he hasn’t played a game there.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
    NYI
    Lol at the andong song piece getting thrown at
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:51 a.m.

Also, lol finding and trading AnDong Song's rights - is that dude even playing anywhere anymore? HockeyDB has him MIA since 2017-18 in the USHL.

What makes Bailey a "good soldier" in your opinion? Bailey is usually the exact kind of player Lou has stayed away from most of his career.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 9:54 a.m.
    Farewell
    "Stanley Cup winning lineup" is a bit much, but there's no doubt that this is a vast improvement over what they have now, particularly on D.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
    "Stanley Cup winning lineup" is a bit much, but there's no doubt that this is a vast improvement over what they have now, particularly on D.

IMO this is an incredible defense. Analytically it is one of the best in the league. Sorokin is really really good and if the scoring shows up like how it has for the Islanders over the past 2 months, the Islanders become top 5. Hard to pass NYR or Tampa or Florida (depending on their offseason) Colorado and others, but we are up there.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
    we miss leo k
    Quoting: Db1899
    What makes Bailey a "good soldier" in your opinion? Bailey is usually the exact kind of player Lou has stayed away from most of his career.

Less about the on-ice, more about the being part of the org for 14 years and never once being any sort of issue. this is all just conjecture on my part, but I feel like Lou is one of those old-school guys(okay maybe that part isn't really conjecture) who puts a high price on loyalty like that. He showed up every day, gave you his 45-50 points per season, and vaguely acknowledged the concept of defense - I honestly can't think of any truly negative story about Bailey's personality or locker room presence or anything.

Not that this is necessarily the outcome I want, just being more realistic. At the end of the day, I think he still has some trade value and isn't a total cap dump, but he's going to be difficult to move. That thought combined with Lou's cryptic "hockey trades" quote from the trade deadline makes me feel like we're going to be seeing #12 back on the ice come October 2022.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
    Farewell
    IMO this is an incredible defense. Analytically it is one of the best in the league. Sorokin is really really good and if the scoring shows up like how it has for the Islanders over the past 2 months, the Islanders become top 5. Hard to pass NYR or Tampa or Florida (depending on their offseason) Colorado and others, but we are up there.

That D combined with Sorokin is terrific, no doubt, but the offense still isn't up there with those teams (Avs, Panthers, Lightning, Rangers, Canes) that you mentioned. It's not bad, but it's missing a piece or two. Then again, the Islanders have gone on deep runs primarily because of their D (without much offensive firepower) in years past, so if they would hypothetically put this together, they could be a dark horse, IMO.
    (It will NEVER happen, but if they could get a Giroux or a Rust or a Forsberg, THEN this scenario becomes that much more dangerous)
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
    Less about the on-ice, more about the being part of the org for 14 years and never once being any sort of issue. this is all just conjecture on my part, but I feel like Lou is one of those old-school guys(okay maybe that part isn't really conjecture) who puts a high price on loyalty like that. He showed up every day, gave you his 45-50 points per season, and vaguely acknowledged the concept of defense - I honestly can't think of any truly negative story about Bailey's personality or locker room presence or anything.

Not that this is necessarily the outcome I want, just being more realistic. At the end of the day, I think he still has some trade value and isn't a total cap dump, but he's going to be difficult to move. That thought combined with Lou's cryptic "hockey trades" quote from the trade deadline makes me feel like we're going to be seeing #12 back on the ice come October 2022.

Yeah I just think on the ice Bailey is the exact opposite of what Lou wants from a player and the fact that he left him exposed in expansion tells me he doesn’t feel the need to be loyal to Bailey. FWIW Friedman mentioned Bailey could be a part of one of those hockey trades.

That being said, I do believe Lou will make the wrong moves this offseason and they will have consequences sooner than later. Just reading between the lines, I don’t think Barzal wants to be an Islander if Trotz is head coach and there’s a really good chance the Islanders miss the playoffs next season. Lou isn’t the man for a rebuild and and Trotz is definitely not the coach for one.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:16 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
    That D combined with Sorokin is terrific, no doubt, but the offense still isn't up there with those teams (Avs, Panthers, Lightning, Rangers, Canes) that you mentioned. It's not bad, but it's missing a piece or two. Then again, the Islanders have gone on deep runs primarily because of their D (without much offensive firepower) in years past, so if they would hypothetically put this together, they could be a dark horse, IMO.
    (It will NEVER happen, but if they could get a Giroux or a Rust or a Forsberg, THEN this scenario becomes that much more dangerous)

i agree. If the Islanders move Varlamov to clear cap, then I would imagine we get a big FA. Unfortunately it seems impossible to move Varly because Trotz loves 1A and 1B goalies
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
    Ville Koho
    Idk why Isles fans want Reilly so bad. Tbh, Bruins will give him to you for free, he's really not worth the 3mill he makes. He's a decent player, but all the mistakes he makes result in a A+++++++ chance for the other team.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
    Serf
    NYI
    2022 5th round pick (BOS)
    OTT
    Bailey, Josh
    Machu, Tomas [Reserve List]
    2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    Additional Details:
    Senators have the cap, could add an additional middle 6 winger and take the extra pick.

Senators don't need another "middle 6 winger". After their best four (Stützle, Batherson, Norris, Tkachuk), they have;

Brown, Joseph, White, Formenton, Pinto

That's nine forwards

Ottawa is looking for a top6 foward, which would mean they already have one too many top9 forwards. Bailey just makes it worse.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 11:08 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    Edited Apr. 26, 2022 at 11:15 a.m.
    Quoting: sensibleguy
    Senators don't need another "middle 6 winger". After their best four (Stützle, Batherson, Norris, Tkachuk), they have;

Brown, Joseph, White, Formenton, Pinto

That's nine forwards

Ottawa is looking for a top6 foward, which would mean they already have one too many top9 forwards. Bailey just makes it worse.

If ant of Stutzle, Batheron, Norris, Tkachuk, Formenton and Brown are not getting top 6 minutes, then there is a problem. And the Sens need to hit the cap floor. I truly do understand why Bailey is not the forward you need, but he can shift around in the middle 6 and play anywhere with anyone.

Also there are a ton of centers in there. Its obviously pretty easy to just move one of them to the wing but you never know. Plus, after the Hamonic deal you really never know with these guys
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 11:18 a.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    Quoting: VilleKoho
    Idk why Isles fans want Reilly so bad. Tbh, Bruins will give him to you for free, he's really not worth the 3mill he makes. He's a decent player, but all the mistakes he makes result in a A+++++++ chance for the other team.

incredible advanced analytics. Plus I am used to having our defenseman make huge blunders. EX: Chara 15X a game. And I am not exaggerating
    VilleKoho liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
    Serf
    If ant of Stutzle, Batheron, Norris, Tkachuk, Formenton and Brown are not getting top 6 minutes, then there is a problem. And the Sens need to hit the cap floor. I truly do understand why Bailey is not the forward you need, but he can shift around in the middle 6 and play anywhere with anyone.

Also there are a ton of centers in there. Its obviously pretty easy to just move one of them to the wing but you never know. Plus, after the Hamonic deal you really never know with these guys

I stopped reading at "cap floor". It's obvious you don't know anything about the Senators

$59,055,714 total cap already alloted for next season

RFA's to sign
    Norris
    Formenton
    Joseph
    Gambrell
    Gaudette
    Brännström
    Mete

After Norris signs for $6MM-$7MM, and Formenton & Joseph receive about $3MM combined, three more forwards and that puts the Sens over $70MM

And you think Ottawa needs help getting over the cap floor, lol
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    I stopped reading at "cap floor". It's obvious you don't know anything about the Senators

$59,055,714 total cap already alloted for next season

RFA's to sign
    Norris
    Formenton
    Joseph
    Gambrell
    Gaudette
    Brännström
    Mete

After Norris signs for $6MM-$7MM, and Formenton & Joseph receive about $3MM combined, three more forwards and that puts the Sens over $70MM

And you think Ottawa needs help getting over the cap floor, lol

Brown is likely to be traded and you also have like 4 defenseman making over 10 mil who are gone in a year. Not that crazy to say that over two years of Bailey's deal, you will need productive players and hit the cap with cap lol
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
    Serf
    Brown is likely to be traded and you also have like 4 defenseman making over 10 mil who are gone in a year. Not that crazy to say that over two years of Bailey's deal, you will need productive players and hit the cap with cap lol

Your arguments are floundering

Defencemen are irrelevant to Bailey, and irrelevant to the Sens reaching the cap floor on opening day if you're considering them to be moved in a year. You're just pulling crap out of the air now.
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks

Defencemen are irrelevant to Bailey, and irrelevant to the Sens reaching the cap floor on opening day if you're considering them to be moved in a year. You're just pulling crap out of the air now.

dude what. Im saying that after next season, the Sens have like 4 UFAs getting off of significant contracts, therefore creating a need to add on cap. If yall go out and sign Giroux and Forsberg to make up for it then sure, but assuming you dont spend 15 mil in FA, you need cap for the next 2 seasons
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 12:19 p.m.
    Serf
    dude what. Im saying that after next season, the Sens have like 4 UFAs getting off of significant contracts, therefore creating a need to add on cap. If yall go out and sign Giroux and Forsberg to make up for it then sure, but assuming you dont spend 15 mil in FA, you need cap for the next 2 seasons

That's the year Stützle and Pinto get their raises, and that could be as much as $14MM between them

You don't know the Sens
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    That's the year Stützle and Pinto get their raises, and that could be as much as $14MM between them

You don't know the Sens

you just said Stutzle-Pinto will get 14 mil. “as much as”. What lmao. So 8 and 6? I love Pinto but unless he somehow goes off next year for like 70 points, he is getting a bridge deal. Almost 100%. anyways this is dumb. have a good one
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
    Serf
    Edited Apr. 26, 2022 at 2:22 p.m.
    you just said Stutzle-Pinto will get 14 mil. “as much as”. What lmao. So 8 and 6? I love Pinto but unless he somehow goes off next year for like 70 points, he is getting a bridge deal. Almost 100%. anyways this is dumb. have a good one

$9MM and $5MM

Stützle is getting more than Brady's $8.2MM, and Pinto is getting more than White's $4.75MM

BTW, "could be as much as $14MM" is an upper limit

Don't get upset that you don't understand the intricacies of the Senators, most Sens fans don't understand either.

I agree that your comments have been dumb, but it's because of ignorance. If you don't want to understand, that's fine too, I've heard that ignorance is bliss
    Apr. 26, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.
    Josh Anderson Sucks
    $9MM and $5MM

Stützle is getting more than Brady's $8.2MM, and Pinto is getting more than White's $4.75MM

BTW, "could be as much as $14MM" is an upper limit

Don't get upset that you don't understand the intricacies of the Senators, most Sens fans don't understand either.

I agree that your comments have been dumb, but it's because of ignorance. If you don't want to understand, that's fine too, I've heard that ignotrance is bliss

i love people like you. who think you know everything. at least you are over exaggerating their salaries. better than thinking that Stutzle will get 8 years 5 mil and Pinto will get 8 years 2.5 lol

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll