Nic Dowd Enjoyer
Joined: Nov. 2019
(Going to copy this over here to see if Isles fans agree with my thoughts on this game)
Caps Postgame Thoughts: 4-1 Loss vs New York (decided to go last minute today for the final home game)
- This was classic Trotz hockey, back to his glory days in Nashville and Washington. A slow, boring game that sucks the life out of the opposing team and the arena. With Washington missing the emotional leader and captain of the team, there was no one to hype up the team when it needed energy the most.
- Almost everyone had a bad night. Kuzy, Sheary, Fehervary (maybe) and Samsonov were the only 4 that I felt put in a solid 60 minute effort (samsonov is more debateable but the 1st and 4th goals were on screens, 2 was another failure by defense, and the third was just as much on Orlov as he didn’t communicate at all with Samsonov). Sheary was the guy Joel Ward was in the 2010s, the only guys sometimes that you could look at and say he had a solid preformance.
- These refs were straight up incompetent tonight. While a couple missed calls come to mind, the two worst offenders were the hooking call on Pelech, which was completely legal and was simply a stick lift. The other was not blowing the whistle when Oshie went down. He was very clearly in a dangerous position, being down right in front of the net, yet play was somehow allowed to continue. Oshie was invisible after that play so even though he continued, I wouldn’t be surprised if he may have an actual injury.
- Players just didn’t step up. No energy from McMichael or Wilson when they normally have it.
- Ice was pure garbage tonight (so Cap One in April every year it seems). No one on either side could stay upright or settle a puck. Jensen and Schultz really struggled with this tonight.
- The Islanders simply outplayed Washington today. An inexcusable loss, made only slightly better by Pittsburgh losing. Thursday will become a must win game, even more than before. If they don’t come in with some energy to UBS, you can kiss the 3rd seed goodbye.