SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Pittsburgh Penguins

Can you really say fleury is bad still?

Apr. 28, 2017 at 3:59 a.m.
Is he elite? Absolutely not. But fleury is a great starting goaltender and a team like Las Vegas or Calgary would be lucky to have him. The stupid argument from
Many people on this website has finally been put to rest. Fleury is not an overpaid backup goalie, he's a good starting goaltender
Apr. 28, 2017 at 7:35 a.m.
Defensive is playing well in front of him, but he made some really great individual effort saves. I really think he is making a case to McPhee to select him and help mentor a young goalie.
Apr. 28, 2017 at 8:36 a.m.
Quoting: Blynasty
Defensive is playing well in front of him, but he made some really great individual effort saves. I really think he is making a case to McPhee to select him and help mentor a young goalie.

Defense playing well in front of him? Wow. Yes they've limited the high-danger front net shots but their inability to break out of the d zone has meant that Fleury has been almost non-stop busy for periods on end. I'm loving Fleury right now.
Apr. 28, 2017 at 9:11 a.m.
exo2769
I think he's definitely making things interesting. There's still a lot of "negotiation" flaws that JR has to get past that has nothing to do with on the ice play, but certainly making things interesting.
Apr. 28, 2017 at 11:08 a.m.
Lenny7
I get that he's playing well. I get that he'd be a good pick for Vegas, or a solid guy to have in Calgary, but you guys aren't thinking from his point of view. Fleury holds all of the chips here. There's two big reasons why he shouldn't waive his NTC to go to Vegas:

1) Financially it doesn't make much sense. If he waives his NTC, he'll continue to be paid $5.75 for each of the next two years, for a total of $11.5 mil. If he doesn't waive, and instead gets bought out, He'll make $1.916 over each of the next 4 seasons, for a total of $7.66, a difference of about $3.8 million bucks, meaning, as long as he signed somewhere for more than $1.9 mil/season (Which is a no doubter), he'd make more money.

2) Do you think he actually wants to be the goalie on an expansion team? They aren't going to be good. He'll be 33 years old and really has no reason to willingly leave Pittsburgh to become the starter on a team that isn't going to be in the playoffs for at least a couple of years.
Apr. 28, 2017 at 12:09 p.m.
Lenny 7 well said. Of course many Fleury posts do not take in consideration that teams have other options, especially when teams can will have 30 protected goalies and at least 30 NHL goalies "unprotected". Some how many Pens fans think he's the only game in town.
And yes, Fleury has played well lately which may increase his desirable to other teams.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll