Forums/Armchair-GM

I Might Be the Only WPG Fan that Wants to Keep Scheifele

Created by: Rooney
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 3, 2022
Published: May 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm a strong believer in seeing how this group can do with a full coaching change. Give it one more year and if the results are similar, blow up the core.

Also, wasn't sure the best landing spot for Dillon, NYI seemed like a decent choice but don't pay too much attention to the team. I'm assuming a 2nd/4th is fair value?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,000,000
2$1,500,000
1$1,250,000
1$900,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
1$775,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$2,750,000
3$3,250,000
Trades
WPG
  1. True, Alex [RFA Rights]
SEA
WPG
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
  2. 2023 4th round pick (NYI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$82,267,024$0$1,412,500$232,976
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 3, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Another reason why it’s too bad that Mr. Hawerchuk passed when he did, I’m sure he would have an interesting conversation with scheifele about possibly his regrets in his own career? Never quite the same when he left Winnipeg and as soon as you get moved once it seems like way more likely to get moved over and over again. Good bad or otherwise, I would predict his most term, possibly a little less money would come from Winnipeg. Jets are loyal possibly to a fault, but I don’t believe scheifele mature enough to realize how good he has it for a aging second tier star. If he had a Dubois type off-season and shelve the attitude I’m sure he would be loved once again. But a blue collar city like Winnipeg wants a hard working underdog team above most else and he’s left that category.
Jetsdood27, Mr_Canoehead, Rooney and 2 others liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Move Schmidt over Dillon IMO. As for scheifele Chevy will know best where his head is at if he feels this is where scheifele wants to be and it’s best for him to stay he won’t be moved, his effort this year shows me he’s pouting about something and that most likely means he’s not happy here in which case you have to get him out of that locker room ASAP but who knows.
Rooney and Wpgman liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Another reason why it’s too bad that Mr. Hawerchuk passed when he did, I’m sure he would have an interesting conversation with scheifele about possibly his regrets in his own career? Never quite the same when he left Winnipeg and as soon as you get moved once it seems like way more likely to get moved over and over again. Good bad or otherwise, I would predict his most term, possibly a little less money would come from Winnipeg. Jets are loyal possibly to a fault, but I don’t believe scheifele mature enough to realize how good he has it for a aging second tier star. If he had a Dubois type off-season and shelve the attitude I’m sure he would be loved once again. But a blue collar city like Winnipeg wants a hard working underdog team above most else and he’s left that category.

I think this is the best comment i have ever read on this site.
Birtle34, Mr_Canoehead and Rooney liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
I don't think you're alone. It is mostly the vocal minority that wants to move Scheifele.
jimmyjets, Rooney and Wpgman liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Quoting: Jetsdood27
Move Schmidt over Dillon IMO. As for scheifele Chevy will know best where his head is at if he feels this is where scheifele wants to be and it’s best for him to stay he won’t be moved, his effort this year shows me he’s pouting about something and that most likely means he’s not happy here in which case you have to get him out of that locker room ASAP but who knows.

It may not necessarily "pouting". Its tough to know what these guys are going through. It could be injuries, personal issues, Hawerchuk was a father figure to him and maybe he is just having a bad year. I say we should give him a summer to clear his head and then trade him at the deadline if he truly wants to leave. While his +/- stats were very bad, he was a very good player in the offensive zone. It took Ovi like 15 years to learn how to play defence. I say we give him another shot with a new voice behind the bench.
Jetsdood27, Birtle34, Mr_Canoehead and 1 other person liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
I believe that keeping Scheifele is probably what Cheveldayoff is planning on doing.

He'll hire a new coach, tell Scheifele that it is in everyone's best interest that he and the team have good seasons (for #55's next contract and making it easier for the Jets to get a good return). Probably the same speech he gave to Laine when he asked to be traded. So long as #55 is not the cancer in the room, it could work.
Birtle34, jimmyjets and Rooney liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
we miss leo k
My outside perspective is you keep Scheifele because he's going to be worth more to your team than the pieces you'll get back for him - he's not a perfect player, but his offensive production is going to be hard to replace. I think he's still young enough that you have a few years left of his prime to retool around him, Connors, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, and PLD. The Western Conference playoff picture is also in a good spot for them to bounce back - I don't see any of the teams below them making enough improvement to leapfrog them, and I think you can safely say that Nashville, Minnesota, Dallas, and Vegas all have enough going on that they could be very different teams next year, giving Winnipeg the chance to make up the 8-10 points they needed to get into the playoffs this season.
Birtle34, Mr_Canoehead, Rooney and 2 others liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: Cory
It may not necessarily "pouting". Its tough to know what these guys are going through. It could be injuries, personal issues, Hawerchuk was a father figure to him and maybe he is just having a bad year. I say we should give him a summer to clear his head and then trade him at the deadline if he truly wants to leave. While his +/- stats were very bad, he was a very good player in the offensive zone. It took Ovi like 15 years to learn how to play defence. I say we give him another shot with a new voice behind the bench.

That’s more or less what I was trying to get at from the outside looking in nobody really knows what’s going on with him.

Maybe unengaged would be a better word than pouting.
But that’s just my take on his work ethic this year seems like he’s pouting but I could easily be wrong about that.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Go Jets Go

Well said my friend!
Birtle34 and Cory liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Quoting: Windjammer
I don't think you're alone. It is mostly the vocal minority that wants to move Scheifele.

True, I've just seen SO many posts it's getting exhausting always giving the opposite view lol.
Windjammer and MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Jetsdood27
That’s more or less what I was trying to get at from the outside looking in nobody really knows what’s going on with him.

Maybe unengaged would be a better word than pouting.
But that’s just my take on his work ethic this year seems like he’s pouting but I could easily be wrong about that.

I think he felt like he was left to take the entire rap on that hit, without any shield of protection, he’s done a lot for the organization over the years, and possibly want somebody to get out in front of it for him. I’m not sure how would that have gone, but possibly appealed for him, or the team stepped up and found away to not fold the tent. He has also been running on a rather bargain contract so he may have felt slighted there, and the whole threats to his family wouldn’t have left a very good taste in anybodys mouth. Just wonder if he wants some obscurity that a change of scenery may provide.
Rooney and MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
My outside perspective is you keep Scheifele because he's going to be worth more to your team than the pieces you'll get back for him - he's not a perfect player, but his offensive production is going to be hard to replace. I think he's still young enough that you have a few years left of his prime to retool around him, Connors, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, and PLD. The Western Conference playoff picture is also in a good spot for them to bounce back - I don't see any of the teams below them making enough improvement to leapfrog them, and I think you can safely say that Nashville, Minnesota, Dallas, and Vegas all have enough going on that they could be very different teams next year, giving Winnipeg the chance to make up the 8-10 points they needed to get into the playoffs this season.

Appreciate the perspective and I definitely agree! smile
dannibalcorpse liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
I believe that keeping Scheifele is probably what Cheveldayoff is planning on doing.

He'll hire a new coach, tell Scheifele that it is in everyone's best interest that he and the team have good seasons (for #55's next contract and making it easier for the Jets to get a good return). Probably the same speech he gave to Laine when he asked to be traded. So long as #55 is not the cancer in the room, it could work.

I agree that that's the smart approach for both sides smile
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Shibbal18
Whats going on with Scheifele?
May 3, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Jetsfan
I am not exactly on the trade Scheifele train but if the other players dislike him, its difficult to win in a divided room. If its all fluff, then I totally agree to keep him as after the all star break his numbers were great, including only a -1 in that time (probably with a few EN goals behind him to make it worse)

His second half was fine but once again, if others in that room dislike him for some reason, he has to move on cuz that culture has to improve
MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Jetsfan
Quoting: Shibbal18

He had Covid and it wrecked him for a few months and made his defensive stats look bad. He came out of the all star break a different guy but there are reports of other players disliking him so who knows
Shibbal18 and MisstheWhalers liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

Being a hard working underdog team above all else that soooo many Jets fans want is a recipe for failure which will lead to an eventual move to Houston.
Windjammer liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18

He had some issues (some say he felt himself and Wheeler were not getting proper respect, it's all rumors) then his play declined especially on defense (Covid, injury, bad attitude, take your pick) now there are rumored to be meetings with (the team GM, his agent and his family as to where everything is going) the problem with trading him is his value has probably taken a big hit from last off season when he had 3 years on a cap friendly contract was 28 and was seen as a near franchise level talent and solid team player - this year just 2 years on his contract, almost the dreaded 30, his play level dipped and sometimes the word liability was used to describe his defense - and his description as a solid team play is in question - much of this may be unfair but people are going to look at the Eichel trade and drew conclusions.
WheEhlers liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 4:17 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Being a hard working underdog team above all else that soooo many Jets fans want is a recipe for failure which will lead to an eventual move to Houston.

100 percent agree, got to get over what ever the issue is that keeps Winnipeg from having anything nice. Do you think If jets and selanne stuck around that when he had his knee issues in his 1 year in colorado and then lock out, and got them scoped that Winnipeg would have booed him out of town also?
May 3, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.
At the end of the day there’s has to be change and it appears when Scheiefe talks to the media and and when stastny directly talked about him, it appears there’s gonna be change. He doesnt want to be here anymore
May 3, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Any thoughts on Boudreau as the next coach, sounds like Canucks moving on, you would think the jets are at a lightning in a bottle type deal and a offer of 2 years on coach and 3 on gm going forward.
May 3, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Any thoughts on Boudreau as the next coach, sounds like Canucks moving on, you would think the jets are at a lightning in a bottle type deal and a offer of 2 years on coach and 3 on gm going forward.

Boudreau is who I wanted them to hire so hopefully they pursue him.
Birtle34 liked this.
May 3, 2022 at 5:55 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Boudreau is who I wanted them to hire so hopefully they pursue him.

Ya I hope they stay clear of the franchise coaching tree, and don’t lame duck anyone, other than possibly a veteran coach that is looking for a short window to make good.
May 3, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
I hope they get the coaching search completed before the draft and free agency. The last possible day for the Stanley Cup final is June 30, the draft is July 7-8, and free agency starts on July 13 so there is plenty of time to chat with candidates and make a deal even if they are an assistant in the Cup finals. (dates from a NHL press release)
May 3, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
100 percent agree, got to get over what ever the issue is that keeps Winnipeg from having anything nice. Do you think If jets and selanne stuck around that when he had his knee issues in his 1 year in colorado and then lock out, and got them scoped that Winnipeg would have booed him out of town also?

As much as this fanbase has a boner for hard workin plug hockey they aren't going to pay to watch a team that's never ever in the cup conversation, Chipman better be careful with taking his fans for granted, they want hard work and to be entertaining, this team has been neither for awhile now.

Sorry I dont remember what you're referring to about Selanne.
Birtle34 and Windjammer liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll