Forums/Armchair-GM

No PLD No Petry trade

Created by: rA9_Messiah
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 21, 2022
Published: May 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
PLD is not coming to Montreal, he's an essential part of the retool in Winnipeg and signing him to a 8x8M$ without knowing the situation with Price is putting us at risk of maybe getting offersheeted on Caufield. ( We need to get that contract done ASAP)

Since St Louis' arrival , Petry has regained a good portion of his production from last year. If he wishing to stay, I'd keep him because he's on a good contract if he manages to score 50 pts.

If Price and the doctors come to the conclusion that he's no longer fit to play and he becomes LTIRetired, I would like the habs to take on bad contracts and wait out our bad contracts before making a splash in the FA market. ( Drouin's and Byron's contract over , one less year on Armia's contract, and we'll see the situation with Gallagher's body as he seems to be breaking down )

I traded Hoffman just because, I can't see him play anymore , and the fewer who sees him the better, thus the trade to Arizona. My sincere and heartfelt apologies to the 5200 persons who will be in attendance.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,150,000
2$1,500,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
3$900,000
3$800,000
3$750,000
Trades
MTL
    Cap dump without retention with the 55th ish pick and 85th ish pick for NHL's most in demand player : Future considerations
    ARI
    1. Hoffman, Mike
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
    3. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    Mike Hoffman has somewhat bounce back during the St Louis interim , but he is such a liability on the defensive end. I know St Louis fans warned us when we signed him this offseason, but I thought the offensive would overcome defensive misshaps. But no, everygame I see him on the ice, he seems to make even dumber plays with the puck.
    MTL
    1. Hörnqvist, Patric
    2. 2022 3rd round pick (FLA)
    3. 2024 5th round pick (PHI)
    FLA
      Giving cap space to the Panthers to be able to re-sign players this offseason. With the Yandle buyout and Barkov increase, they have about 4 M$ to re-sign Marchment, Mamim and maybe other players. That 5.3 M$ could be put to way better use for the panthers. For MTL , acquire a player that can be sold at the deadline as a rental.
      MTL
      1. Monahan, Sean
      2. 2022 5th round pick (CGY)
      3. 2024 3rd round pick (CGY)
      CGY
        If the flames want to re-sign Tkachuk gaudreau Mangiapane and Kylington, something has to give. I would think they'd prefer to move Lucic, but i highly doubt that they'll be able to move him. So Monahan is the second in line. Coming off his surgery, I don't think that the Flames can roll the dice on him at his price tag.

Montreal next season won't be competing for anything, so might as well gamble on him to bounce back, to maybe resell at a profit at the deadline.
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the CGY
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the ANA
        Logo of the FLA
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the CGY
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the STL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the FLA
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the CGY
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the CGY
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the PHI
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the EDM
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        24$82,500,000$74,078,749$1,132,500$1,482,500$8,421,251
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        $7,875,000$7,875,000
        C
        UFA - 8
        $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $4,450,000$4,450,000
        C
        UFA - 3
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 5
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Calgary Flames
        $6,375,000$6,375,000
        C, LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Florida Panthers
        $5,300,000$5,300,000
        RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $3,400,000$3,400,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 3
        $1,700,000$1,700,000
        C
        UFA - 3
        $900,000$900,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $875,000$875,000
        LD/RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $2,343,750$2,343,750
        RD
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 3
        $2,875,000$2,875,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $4,150,000$4,150,000
        LD
        RFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
        RD
        RFA - 2
        $900,000$900,000
        G
        UFA - 2
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
        LD/RD
        RFA - 3
        $900,000$900,000
        G
        RFA - 3
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $750,000$750,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $10,500,000$10,500,000
        G
        NMC
        UFA - 4
        $3,400,000$3,400,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $7,857,143$7,857,143
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $750,000$750,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        May 3, 2022 at 10:51 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Price did return at the end of the season. Isn't it just wishful thinking his 10.5m cap disappears?
        I doubt if Montreal or any team with team is on Hornqvist's M NTC.
        May 3, 2022 at 10:56 p.m.
        Edited May 4, 2022 at 11:44 a.m.
        Quoting: palhal
        Price did return at the end of the season. Isn't it just wishful thinking his 10.5m cap disappears?
        I doubt if Montreal or any team with team is on Hornqvist's M NTC.

Maybe it is but at the end of the year press conference Price said that his knee situation is no longer tolerable :

When asked if Price believes he could go back to a heavier workload of around 60 games next season, Price said: "My honest opinion is no. I don't believe that the current state would be sustainable for a whole season. source : https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/carey-price-unsure-of-nhl-future/ar-AAWMR3Y
        May 3, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: rA9_Messiah
        Maybe it is but at the end of the year press conference Price said that his knee situation is longer tolerable :

When asked if Price believes he could go back to a heavier workload of around 60 gamex next season, Price said: "My honest opinion is no. I don't believe that the current state would be sustainable for a whole season. source : https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/carey-price-unsure-of-nhl-future/ar-AAWMR3Y

Well I guess the debate is whether a player (goalie specifically ) and team can claim LTIR for a whole season four years just because a goalie can't play 60 games.
        May 3, 2022 at 11:41 p.m.
        Well I guess the debate is whether a player (goalie specifically ) and team can claim LTIR for a whole season four years just because a goalie can't play 60 games.

He also said he has to undergo surgery again, and said he would retire if he can't come back as good as before. Not sure if PA would let him retire, or if they force him to go on LTIR.

He could come back next year if surgery went well and he's good to play. But i don't think he wants to go through MTL rebuild, and know he is untradable (see Kraken's expansion draft).
        May 4, 2022 at 12:09 a.m.
        Banned
        question.. what happens to the cap hit of prices salary if he were to retire ?
        May 4, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
        Bo Horvat enjoyer
        Bold of you to assume the Yotes will be selling out their arena
        rA9_Messiah liked this.
        May 4, 2022 at 12:53 a.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: LIRIK
        He also said he has to undergo surgery again, and said he would retire if he can't come back as good as before. Not sure if PA would let him retire, or if they force him to go on LTIR.

He could come back next year if surgery went well and he's good to play. But i don't think he wants to go through MTL rebuild, and know he is untradable (see Kraken's expansion draft).

Sorry, that's crazy talk ?? " Not sure if PA would let him retire, or if they force him to go on LTIR". Only Price can decide if he's retires. It certainly isn't up the PA to decide LTIR. It's not even up to Price. Independent doctors determine if a player is not medically fit and therefore LTIR. And a player has to put forth an effort to rehab in order get back to be medically fit and remove himself from LTIR. Now in some cases, a players medical condition is so bad even rehab won't allow him to get back into "playing shape."
        Just saying, being injured temporarily doesn't allows players contract to be put on LTIR permanently because the player wants to retire or the team doesn't like his contract
        May 4, 2022 at 12:59 a.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: skriko
        question.. what happens to the cap hit of prices salary if he were to retire ?

Montreal would would be subject to some recapture penalties because Price's contract was front loaded. I believe Price is owed 31m over the next four years, and his cap is 42m So the recapture penalty is 11 over 4 years or 2.75m a year for four years. Think that how it works.
        May 4, 2022 at 1:48 a.m.
        Sorry, that's crazy talk ?? " Not sure if PA would let him retire, or if they force him to go on LTIR". Only Price can decide if he's retires. It certainly isn't up the PA to decide LTIR. It's not even up to Price. Independent doctors determine if a player is not medically fit and therefore LTIR. And a player has to put forth an effort to rehab in order get back to be medically fit and remove himself from LTIR. Now in some cases, a players medical condition is so bad even rehab won't allow him to get back into "playing shape."
        Just saying, being injured temporarily doesn't allows players contract to be put on LTIR permanently because the player wants to retire or the team doesn't like his contract

If Price says his knee hurt, doctors will believe him. Doctors have to believe what you tell them. Hossa said he had eczema from playing hockey during his whole career, but when he wanted out, he just had to say it was now unbearable. Doctors believed him, and he was put on LTIR.

Thing is, he decided it was unbearable the same year his contract started paying 1M a year instead of 7,9M. So he kinda decided when he wanted to stop playing hockey. Doctors had to believe him. But i'm pretty sure he didn't care about those last 4 years at 1M a year. He wanted to retire, but PA stopped him. Same situation for Weber.

PA will make sure players are paid every penny they signed for. Do you remember a NHL player retiring before his contract ends? I don't.
        May 4, 2022 at 8:58 a.m.
        If Price says his knee hurt, doctors will believe him. Doctors have to believe what you tell them. Hossa said he had eczema from playing hockey during his whole career, but when he wanted out, he just had to say it was now unbearable. Doctors believed him, and he was put on LTIR.

Thing is, he decided it was unbearable the same year his contract started paying 1M a year instead of 7,9M. So he kinda decided when he wanted to stop playing hockey. Doctors had to believe him. But i'm pretty sure he didn't care about those last 4 years at 1M a year. He wanted to retire, but PA stopped him. Same situation for Weber.

PA will make sure players are paid every penny they signed for. Do you remember a NHL player retiring before his contract ends? I don't.

Yes you are right with the Hossa bit but he didnt retire he went onto LTIR thats the piece the NHL must approve. player can retire at any point for wte reason. They are free individuals lol. Its better to be placed on LTIR then outright retire and lose all that money, that why they need to be approved for LTIR status. If a player wants to walk away with nothing they need no one's approval to do so.
        palhal liked this.
        May 4, 2022 at 9:12 a.m.
        we miss leo k
        i love this ACGM because it makes some very good and salient points with a dash of "I can't stand Mike Hoffman, please just make him go away".

It's an interesting case - I think Monahan & Hornqvist are interesting players to target if you have the Price cap space available next season. As you said, if they both recover even some of their game, they can be easily flipped at the deadline (with 3 open retention slots, too!) and you can get back some more picks and/or young prospects. And nearly $30M available for the 2023 offseason? Impressive!
        rA9_Messiah liked this.
        May 4, 2022 at 9:18 a.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer

Sorry it nothing to do wth the PA. Insurance companies are on hook of most of Price's 31m amount if on LTIR. Their doctors, NHL doctors, team doctors, Price's doctors make the decision not, "Doctors have to believe what you tell them". C'mon don't be so others who think teams or players can go on LTIR, so their teams have a free pass to get out of their contracts for cap reasons.

Roberto Luongo retired (with an injury) with I believe two years years remaining on his and owed a total of 4m dollars. He had hip surgery and was out most of the previous season. But apparently he didn't want to go with the strict regiment of getting medically fit in order to qualify for LTIR. So sure he took rehab, but not the standards to the ensuring. he was as medically fit.
        If Luongo had gone on LTIR....no issue with the cap at all. But because he retired and he had a front loaded contract, the Vancouver Canucks have been on the hook for about 2.3m recapture cap penalties for a few years.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll