SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #1

May 16, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SevenLeg
Jake Allen is a lot better than Cam Talbot now...

Based on what? Both of them had a decent season, naturally Talbot's numbers are a bit better because he plays on a better team but I haven't really noticed anything that'd suggest Allen is a lot better of the two.
May 16, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
It depends if they value Allen more than a 4th round pick.

STOP!!!!!
May 16, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Alfie11
Even then, Marcus Foligno is elite defensively. Anderson sucks defensively lol

That's what I mean by glorified. People think he brings the same result to the table but he does not.
Alfie11 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: justaBoss
Based on what? Both of them had a decent season, naturally Talbot's numbers are a bit better because he plays on a better team but I haven't really noticed anything that'd suggest Allen is a lot better of the two.

Allen will be hottest on the market since
He is the best goalie able to play 40 games a year that comes at 1,4375m contract

Hes better than talbot because
A) younger than talbot
B) cheaper than talbot
C) has better pedigree
May 16, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Allen will be hottest on the market since
He is the best goalie able to play 40 games a year that comes at 1,4375m contract

Hes better than talbot because
A) younger than talbot
B) cheaper than talbot
C) has better pedigree

That wasn't my question. I asked why is Allen perceived to be better than Talbot.

Allen might have more value for the reasons you mentioned but the difference is only marginal. You're picturing Allen to be the most wanted piece of the entire market based on absolutely nothing.

In the order of UFA goalies there's plenty of other goalies that'll go before him precisely because acquiring them costs nothing.
May 16, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

EvolvingHockey is down right now and I have an assignment due for 16h30 but I'll come back to this later.
May 16, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
What in tarnation
EvolvingHockey is down right now and I have an assignment due for 16h30 but I'll come back to this later.

That'll do.
May 16, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
That wasn't my question. I asked why is Allen perceived to be better than Talbot.

Allen might have more value for the reasons you mentioned but the difference is only marginal. You're picturing Allen to be the most wanted piece of the entire market based on absolutely nothing.

In the order of UFA goalies there's plenty of other goalies that'll go before him precisely because acquiring them costs nothing.

Right.
But you want 5.5m Campbell or 1.4m Allen
The difference in quality of Campbell and Allen isn't alot, and it's 4m cap difference
I bet 9/ 10 teams rather have Allen at 1,4m than Campbell after 5,5m
May 16, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Right.
The difference in quality of Campbell and Allen isn't alot, and it's 4m cap difference

Ultimately it depends on Campbell's term. Allen will be 1.4 mil for only one year.
zk97, A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
First, fukc you lol, at least offer him so we get the 1st and 3rd, I am still licking my wounds of another exit. Offer sheets are so rare but this crop of FA RD's is looking pretty bad so I guess anything is possible.
FS44IxOWIAE_f2X?format=png&name=small

Friedman on 32 Thougths just suggested the Leafs think about splitting Matthews and Marner up and moving Mitch to Center. Which is crazy to me. I am totally against moving Nylander but he had no chemistry with Tavaras so either split them up JT and Marner have been great, or I guess you look at moving Nylander cause having him on the 3rd line is a waste (even though Keefe moves him around mid game). They were in on Garland before he got traded to VAN, maybe there is a deal there, multiple pieces, VAN new Swedish GM wanting to pair his superstar C with another Swedish player. The Leafs had scouted Höglander who seems to have fallen out of favor in VAN also, there could be some players there I would be interested in.

FA guys I would be in on are: Riley Smith, Ander Copp, Rickard Rakell, Max Domi, Frank Vatrano, Tyler Motte, Michael Raffl, Mark Jankowski
RFA (if available) Sam Steel, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Julien Gauthier,
I like the guys you have mentioned also.

This team is fukcin close, I still believe the core 4 is the path to continue on but the supporting cast NEEDS to be better. Obviously easier said than done, the flat cap f'd whatever long term plans they had envisioned for this group. But that's life now, need to adjust and figure it out like every other team needs to.

Edit:
forgot Dominik Kubalik and Dylan Strome

…I’m not sure I believe in Marner at centre. He didn’t even play C in junior (iirc he was the RW on that Knights mega line with M. Tkachuk and Dvorak). Matthews is so good it doesn’t matter who he plays with, so JT+Marner would be an interesting combo to go back to, and I agree Nylander on the 3rd line is a waste. If you could get Garland+Hoglander for Nylander I think that would be a solid deal for both sides. Bunting-Matthews-Garland // Hoglander-Tavares-Marner would look good. And then you’d just have Marner do most of the 2-way heavy-lifting and the young wingers would do the skating while Matthews draws the tougher matchups.

I think Smith and Rakell might want too much money for Toronto. Copp would be good if they do want to move Tavares to the wing next year. Vatrano, Motte, and especially Raffl (I thought he had a very good series against Calgary) would all be good bottom six pieces, but the problem is the Leafs will probably have to wait for a few days and see which one is left at the end and is willing to sign for a discount to get a contract, rather than offering a fair/slight overpay contract to get their preferred guy. I used to love Janko but I think he’s washed now, never lived up to his potential. And idk what to think of Domi anymore lol, I don’t even know what position he plays now. Kubalik is one of the more intriguing players this offseason. Chicago is weird with who they qualify, and his AAV could be anywhere from like 1.5-4mil. I get the feeling he gets traded/moves on in some way this summer and rebounds on his new team, we’ll just have to see where that is and what the number is. And Chicago would be stupid to move Strome after he showed chemistry with DeBrincat and Kane (and isn’t Toews’s future up in the air? Or did I just imagine that and mentally dismiss it because I don’t care about the Hawks lol) but that would also be a very Hawks move. Personally I hope Chicago decides to fully clean house and moves DeBrincat to the Sens to get back into the top 10 smile

I do agree the supporting cast needs to be better, but I think that’s more on the players than Dubas. He’s certainly tried out enough guys that should be good in theory, with a few successes, like Bunting and Kase and Kampf. It would help if anyone from within the system would actually challenge for a spot (looking at you Robertson and Abruzzese, Knies and Niemela probably need another year, and Hirvonen will probably need 1-2 but they’ll need to have good development years too) because I don’t think the Leafs have done a particularly good job of graduating homegrown talent the last couple years and it’s tough to constantly hit on the bargain bin shots (although Dubas is better than most GMs). I think part of that is their mid-round draft strategy isn’t great, too many tiny playmakers that are boom-bust types for my liking (sometimes they’re Gaudreau, more often they’re Bracco). Like, I’m not a big SDA or Abruzzese guy. Hirvonen was fine, but following that up with FIVE more sub-6 ft forwards that will either be top-sixers or never make it wasn’t the smartest move, you do need good depth. And I think they shoulda gone for a different type of player than Voit considering they only had 3 picks (and used one of them on a goalie).
capsfan2121 and MatthewsFan liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
If the leafs let Campbell walk it makes sense for the Devils to overpay to keep the term short. Something like 6.25 -6.75x 2
zk97 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Juiceman
What even happened to Chara

He had to play with a bum Noah Dobson
capsfan2121 and Juiceman liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Db1899
If the leafs let Campbell walk it makes sense for the Devils to overpay to keep the term short. Something like 6.25 -6.75x 2

for campbell?
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Man…Tkachuk and Fiala are going to get paid.

Brian2016 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Ultimately it depends on Campbell's term. Allen will be 1.4 mil for only one year.

Right.

missed this but what assets are being given to montreal to get them to retain 50% on allen next year? you know they like him there and theres no reason to move him for cheap to begin with... dont believe talbot is remotely available. retained or not. hes going to be paired with someone on a cheap deal whether thats wallsted or someone else.
May 16, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
for campbell?

Yes, he’s an above average goaltender and the Devils have a ton of cap space. I’d rather give Campbell 6.5 x 2 than 4 mill x 5.
May 16, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.

flames have 27m cap space they can pretty much run it back while paying johnny hockey and matty t... also sending monahan out. this is gunna be a fun offseason, a few names out there that should move around that everyone will be like WHAT!?! imagine malkin to say boston if bergeron retires?
Db1899 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: hanson493
missed this but what assets are being given to montreal to get them to retain 50% on allen next year? you know they like him there and theres no reason to move him for cheap to begin with... dont believe talbot is remotely available. retained or not. hes going to be paired with someone on a cheap deal whether thats wallsted or someone else.

Discussion started from Dom suggesting Leafs traded Nylander+Liljegren for Anderson+Allen+pick
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 2:59 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: hanson493

We are talking about a deal :
Jake Allen 50% retained + Oilers 2nd round pick + Josh Anderson for William Nylander + Timothy Liljegren [ RFA right ]
May 16, 2022 at 3:03 p.m.
retired

yes but evolving hockey are always high on the numbers.

kadri 7 years? thats an interesting take.
May 16, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
yes but evolving hockey are always high on the numbers.

kadri 7 years? thats an interesting take.

For the most part their contract projections have been pretty accurate. It’s impressive
May 16, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Probably goes to edmonton
But i could see him back in LA tbh

LA has Quick and Peterson so why would they want him?

Edmonton maybe but I got a feeling they gonna get Husso
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I dont think they let him walk as honestly when healthy he has fit in their system

With all he has accomplished here in terms of tying a record set by Price and all that I think moving away from him is nonsense.

Unless you bring in someone who you know is a sure upgrade makes no sense to let him go

And honestly from eyeing the goalie market bringing him back makes to much sense rn.
May 16, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
Go leafs go
We are talking about a deal :
Jake Allen 50% retained + Oilers 2nd round pick + Josh Anderson for William Nylander + Timothy Liljegren [ RFA right ]

Ehhhhhh........ that would be a good package for just Nylander MAYBE, but not Lili as well.
May 16, 2022 at 3:32 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont think they let him walk as honestly when healthy he has fit in their system

With all he has accomplished here in terms of tying a record set by Price and all that I think moving away from him is nonsense.

Unless you bring in someone who you know is a sure upgrade makes no sense to let him go

And honestly from eyeing the goalie market bringing him back makes to much sense rn.

It is just a guess, but Robin Lehner will be the Leafs starting goalie next year.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll