Forums/Armchair-GM

Toronto offseason after losing round 1 in 5 games

Created by: The_Rocket
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 5, 2022
Published: May 5, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Maybe New Jersey adds something else good to the Nylander trade I don’t know.

Walsh and a pick maybe?

Main point is severson is the roster piece coming back
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
3$3,500,000
1$750,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$82,577,416$212,500$0-$77,416
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 5, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Read description before creaming over the NJD trade
May 5, 2022 at 11:58 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
TOR fans, this is bait. Don't fall for it.

Someone will, though.
aadoyle liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: Ritzy
TOR fans, this is bait. Don't fall for it.

Someone will, though.

Not b8, m8
May 5, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: The_Rocket
Not b8, m8

Hmmm, VAN fan telling TOR they're going to lose in 5 and immediately trades Nylander.

Total b8...m8.
aadoyle liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:01 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
I'm sure the Devils would be super interested in something like Severson, Walsh, and pick 37 or something.
Archiv3 liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Read description before creaming over the NJD trade

Doesn't really matter if the Leafs lose in round one or win the Cup, the cap situation is the same. Personally, I would like to see the Leafs trade Nylander for a pick and get cap to maybe resign Lubyshin and to go with a 22 man roster. But I understand the Severson trade . Actually the best situation for the Leafs is to win the Cup, Nylander is the Cup MVP, and the return for him is greater
May 5, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Me personally, if I was going to trade Nylander, I would trade him for a right shot top 6 NHL ready young winger, and a left shot bottom pair defence man. In my opinion, Muzzin probably goes, same as Mrazek. I wouldn’t trade Nylander unless you have to, and I don’t think they have to.

It’s only been two games, so we don’t know how well they will play, if they get eliminated or make it through. If Leafs fans are panicking right now, I would say to stop, and see how good next game is. If Tampa wins two more in a row to make it 3-1, then I would be nervous. Until then, I wouldn’t make any hasty decisions that you may regret.

Now for the off-season plans, I would say they only have to upgrade in a few areas. A top 9 left winger with grit is a must! A 3c, and depth may be beneficial, but it would be up to Dubas if he wants to do that much, and it would be up to if he has the cap. A tandem of Campbell, Kallgren would be good to start the next season, so there is no need to upgrade that. Just a few pieces missing from being a really solid team that can be good in both regular season, and playoffs.
May 5, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.
retired
no way to go with the same goalies again. everyone except matthews will be on the table.
PlusMinus is stupid
Don't Leaf fans panic and overreact on their own, enough? Trolling them just seems sick... like giving someone in AA a jello shot....
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: palhal
Doesn't really matter if the Leafs lose in round one or win the Cup, the cap situation is the same. Personally, I would like to see the Leafs trade Nylander for a pick and get cap to maybe resign Lubyshin and to go with a 22 man roster. But I understand the Severson trade . Actually the best situation for the Leafs is to win the Cup, Nylander is the Cup MVP, and the return for him is greater

Main reason I think Nylander is the piece to go: he is a luxury for Toronto. Toronto was top 5 for xGF, GF, scoring chances for, and high danger chances for. Generating offense is Nylander’s best attribute, but it’s the area Toronto struggles the least (in fact they don’t struggle at all).

Torontos biggest weakness is preventing high danger chances against. Even then, they are still pretty good at it, given they were 10th in the league 5v5 this year at preventing high danger chances. However, they gave up the 5th most High danger chances 5v5 per 60 in the league.

Goaltending is their biggest issue, however I think Jack Campbell is still probably their best option given lack of high profile UFA’s on the goalie market this year.

So, IMO, the best course of action is reducing high danger chances against.

Of any leafs forward who played 700 or more 5v5 minutes this season, Nylander was last at preventing high danger chances against per 60 at 5v5.

Because of this, I think trading away Nylander for a top pair D at an affordable cap hit while collecting some other assets on top is a way for them to a) shake up the core b) improve their in-zone Defense c) gain some cap space for re-signing Mikheyev and Campbell and d) aquire some futures after being mostly buyers the past few seasons
palhal liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: Ritzy
Hmmm, VAN fan telling TOR they're going to lose in 5 and immediately trades Nylander.

Total b8...m8.

Just because I cheer for the Canucks doesn’t mean I can’t post a legitimate AGM for a scenerio in which the leaves lose in the first round. It’s hypothetical (obviously) so if Toronto ends up making it pst the 1st round maybe they don’t try and shake things up. But if they do lose in the first round…
May 5, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Me personally, if I was going to trade Nylander, I would trade him for a right shot top 6 NHL ready young winger, and a left shot bottom pair defence man. In my opinion, Muzzin probably goes, same as Mrazek. I wouldn’t trade Nylander unless you have to, and I don’t think they have to.

It’s only been two games, so we don’t know how well they will play, if they get eliminated or make it through. If Leafs fans are panicking right now, I would say to stop, and see how good next game is. If Tampa wins two more in a row to make it 3-1, then I would be nervous. Until then, I wouldn’t make any hasty decisions that you may regret.

Now for the off-season plans, I would say they only have to upgrade in a few areas. A top 9 left winger with grit is a must! A 3c, and depth may be beneficial, but it would be up to Dubas if he wants to do that much, and it would be up to if he has the cap. A tandem of Campbell, Kallgren would be good to start the next season, so there is no need to upgrade that. Just a few pieces missing from being a really solid team that can be good in both regular season, and playoffs.

Trouble with opening paragraph is that 7m X 2 years Nylander probably can't get a young (maybe cheaper) top 6 winger and a NHL capable Dman. And certainly NTC Muzzin won't/can't be traded.
So with 6.6m tied up Muzzin and Mrzarek's buyout.....just for cap reasons, it appears Nylander has to go. And the cap situation doesn't change if the Leafs are eliminated in round one or win the Cup
Nhl_oilers and Archiv3 liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: DirtyDangle
no way to go with the same goalies again. everyone except matthews will be on the table.

There aren’t any good goalies available
May 5, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff

While this would be a better offseason, it also seems pretty unrealistic. No one is taking 2 years of Mrazek without significant compensation. Muzzin has an NTC and leafs would probably have to take a little money back for another team to be interested.

I don’t think they need to add a 3C. Kampf has been great for them and they can mover Kerfoot or engvall into that role if injuries pile up down the middle.

Nylander, IMO, is the biggest luxury in the leafs. Great offensive player, but not nearly as great as Matthews or Marner. He also holds a lot of trade value and his cap hit, while significant, is still small enough that it is moveable given his offensive skill.

Nylanders trade value may never be higher than it is this offseason. Toronto could collect some serious assets and upgrade their team at the same time with one trade
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Trouble with opening paragraph is that 7m X 2 years Nylander probably can't get a young (maybe cheaper) top 6 winger and a NHL capable Dman. And certainly NTC Muzzin won't/can't be traded.
So with 6.6m tied up Muzzin and Mrzarek's buyout.....just for cap reasons, it appears Nylander has to go. And the cap situation doesn't change if the Leafs are eliminated in round one or win the Cup

Oh interesting. For some reason I thought he had more term on his deal. I think you may be able to get a decent player back, or a draft pick if that’s what you choose to get, but not as much as I initially thought. I would try to trade Muzzin, but if you can’t, I agree Nylander may have to go then. I would try to move him to a team like Detroit and see if they will take him, but if not, they may have to go down the other route… leaf’s are on a tough spot cap wise, but I think Dubas can get them out, and make them competitive next year!
May 5, 2022 at 12:29 p.m.
While this would be a better offseason, it also seems pretty unrealistic. No one is taking 2 years of Mrazek without significant compensation. Muzzin has an NTC and leafs would probably have to take a little money back for another team to be interested.

I don’t think they need to add a 3C. Kampf has been great for them and they can mover Kerfoot or engvall into that role if injuries pile up down the middle.

Nylander, IMO, is the biggest luxury in the leafs. Great offensive player, but not nearly as great as Matthews or Marner. He also holds a lot of trade value and his cap hit, while significant, is still small enough that it is moveable given his offensive skill.

Nylanders trade value may never be higher than it is this offseason. Toronto could collect some serious assets and upgrade their team at the same time with one trade

They definitely will have to buyout Mrazek, but Muzzin may be movable. 2 years on his deal, maybe a team like Detroit will take him for Seider. My idea may be a little unrealistic, but they need to somehow shed Mrazek, and Muzzin if it’s through buyout which may be the most likely option, or through trade.

Nylander has been very good this season, and I think they can get a decent amount for him, but I did not know he only has 2 years on his deal, so he may not get as much as I thought, but maybe as much as you suggested. Severson would be a great guy, but I think they try and get a right shot forward back, or a pick. Severson would be good, but does New Jersey move him… I don’t know. Anyways, they may want Liljegren in the top 4. Your trade is definitely not terrible in anyway, and it could happen.
May 5, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
retired
There aren’t any good goalies available

big offer for kuemper or husso. otherwise maybe make a move for gibson, binnington, ullmark, swayman,
May 5, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: DirtyDangle
big offer for kuemper or husso. otherwise maybe make a move for gibson, binnington, ullmark, swayman,

No cap space for jusso or kuemper, they’ll both command $6 million. I guess if you trade Nylander for futures and take no salary back then it’s possible.

I though about the trade route as well. Gibson and binngton are overrated, I wouldn’t go near them if I was Toronto. Campbell has been better than both of them the past 2 seasons.

Ullmark maybe, though he has a NTC. Again though, that’s not a significant upgrade for Toronto.

Swagman I’d imagine is untouchable.

I wonder if Connor hellybyuk is available in Winnipeg? Looks like they might blow it up
May 5, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
They definitely will have to buyout Mrazek, but Muzzin may be movable. 2 years on his deal, maybe a team like Detroit will take him for Seider. My idea may be a little unrealistic, but they need to somehow shed Mrazek, and Muzzin if it’s through buyout which may be the most likely option, or through trade.

Nylander has been very good this season, and I think they can get a decent amount for him, but I did not know he only has 2 years on his deal, so he may not get as much as I thought, but maybe as much as you suggested. Severson would be a great guy, but I think they try and get a right shot forward back, or a pick. Severson would be good, but does New Jersey move him… I don’t know. Anyways, they may want Liljegren in the top 4. Your trade is definitely not terrible in anyway, and it could happen.

Maybe Puljujarvi and a pick back from Edmonton? Would probably have to be more since Edmonton is also cap strapped, but I’d bet they would like a guy like Nylander and JP seems to be in his way out.

Then you can add a d-man through other means
May 5, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: HeadHighSauce
I'm sure the Devils would be super interested in something like Severson, Walsh, and pick 37 or something.

Seams like a good deal for both side. I was thinking maybe adding Zacha or woods as well instead of 2 futures
May 5, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Buffbry
Wings pass, holl is worth 0
PredsWingsFan liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Detroit declines
PredsWingsFan liked this.
May 5, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Quoting: buffbry
Wings pass, holl is worth 0

Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Detroit declines

Holl is not a good d-man but he is better than Oesterle. Oesterle is subreplacement level. Holl would fill the hole left when stecher was traded, even be a bit better than stecher
May 5, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
Dougie HIMilton
Seams like a good deal for both side. I was thinking maybe adding Zacha or woods as well instead of 2 futures

I'm sure they probably consider that too.
May 5, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.

Its fair, but leaves NJD short a dman.
And there aren't any free agents as good as Severson.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll