Forums/Armchair-GM

Patience

Created by: JustanIdea
Team: 2022-23 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: May 9, 2022
Published: May 9, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I get that nobody wants to be patient anymore and we all want to see a winning team in Ottawa.
Not even just Ottawa fans, there is probably some other fans that would love to see a competitive team there but we have to see what this team is like fully healthy. That was supposed to be this year but unfortunatly injuries happen.

I also don't see any big move from Sens management but I am going to assume that Giroux wins a cup this year and comes here to try and win another in a few years.

I also don't see Dorian moving the first round pick and I really hope he doesn't as we could use one more young player to help that line that is centered by Stutzle.

I would love if the Sens managed to get Jurai Slavkovsky as I think that he is the perfect fit for the Sens but I think that the Habs will scoop him up to play with Suzuki and Caufield and be a long term replacement to Anderson. That leaves Kemell and Lekkerimaki and I would be fine with either or but I think Kemell could hit another level playing with Stutzle. I also think that Kemell is able to come over right away whereas Lekkerimaki probably needs another year.

Murray LTIRetires as I don't know if 1. he wants to play after so many head injuries and 2. He will be cleared to play after so many head injuries.

Norris, Puljujarvi, Formenton, Joseph, Brannstrom, and Senshyne
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
3$2,500,000
3$1,500,000
6$8,000,000
5$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$5,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kemell, Joakim
3$925,000
Trades
OTT
BUF
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita ($2,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Pretty good heart and soul defensive defensivement to help Buffalo out and strengthen that RD side in limited minutes. His contract doesn't really impead Buffalo of signing any of there young forwards and it's actually a decent price as that is the price and cap hit that the rangers are paying Nemeth who is similar in skill and term but Zaitsev will go out there and block every thing that comes his way.

I THINK THAT HE GETS A BAD REP IN OTTAWA CAUSE HE'S NOT GREAT BUT HE DOES DO A LOT OF GOOD THINGS LIKE SHOT BLOCKING. JUST DON'T PLAY HIM IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE.
OTT
    Future Considerations
    BUF
    OTT
      Gone, somewhere, Montreal, Boston, Arizona, buyout just gone.

????? Don't know what you get back
      MTL
      1. White, Colin
      Additional Details:
      Great glue guy and would love to keep him but he doesn't really have a roster spot next year and is just being paid too much to help the team.
      OTT
      1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
      Additional Details:
      This would be a base but would already be pretty even considering that Brown comes with an extension and Puljujarvi is an RFA and there points are similar but it aids to diversify both teams forward groups and improves both teams.
      EDM
      1. Brown, Connor
      Additional Details:
      Come with a 4m 3y extension if that is possible in the Oilers Cap structure.

Ottawa is sending a player that could probably hit 50 points and is very consistent and is a great penalty killer and would help Edmonton's powerplay a lot. You could also pair him with Draisaitl and have him be a Hyman on that line as he can play similar. He would be a great player to diversify the forward group and now that you have Kane (and I gotta think long term) Puljujarvi is not needed all that much as they do similar things and Brown actually put up more points playing mostly with AHLers and 4 liners.
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the NSH
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the OTT
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$82,500,000$67,453,214$0$4,025,000$15,046,786

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Ottawa Senators
      $8,205,714$8,205,714
      LW
      UFA - 6
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      C
      UFA - 8
      $4,975,000$4,975,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 5
      Kemell, Joakim
      $925,000$925,000
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
      C
      UFA - 1
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      LW
      RFA
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
      C
      RFA - 1
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 3
      $762,500$762,500
      LW
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 6
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LD/RD, LW
      RFA - 1
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $787,500$787,500
      G
      UFA - 1
      $1,300,000$1,300,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $821,667$821,667
      C, RW
      RFA - 1
      $4,687,500$4,687,500
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $838,333$838,333
      LW
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      PJ Trade Yay or Ney
      The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 9, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      A Zaitsev apologist!? Blasphemy. The main reason he gets a bad rep in Ottawa is because he is actually terrible. His "blocked shots" stat is because he turns the puck over so many times in the D zone and the team spends the next 40 seconds attempting to clear the zone because he can't make a pass to save his life/his decision making is maddening! He leads the league in unforced icings per 60... It doesn't help D.J. has him pegged as "Elite" and plays him in every possible situation even though he is a black hole offensively.

I'm done being nice about him.

White is going to get bought out and sign for league min. It's the easiest and cheapest route due to his contract status. 850k for 5 and a cap credit of -625 for 1. Not a bad trade-out.

PJ for Brown would be a mistake for EDM. PJ brings a lot more to the table in advanced stats than a lot of people realize. He's pretty decent defensively and creates space for a lot of other guys to thrive. Brown is also good defensively and his transition skills are pretty decent off the rush. Sucks about his wrists but a healthy summer should be good for him.

As for the draft position: I'd love to get 1 or 2 overall but in all seriousness, I think 7th or 8th overall will turn into a top 6 forward regardless (Fiala or otherwise).
      JustanIdea and sensonfire liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
      Quoting: Green4D4
      A Zaitsev apologist!? Blasphemy. The main reason he gets a bad rep in Ottawa is because he is actually terrible. His "blocked shots" stat is because he turns the puck over so many times in the D zone and the team spends the next 40 seconds attempting to clear the zone because he can't make a pass to save his life/his decision making is maddening! He leads the league in unforced icings per 60... It doesn't help D.J. has him pegged as "Elite" and plays him in every possible situation even though he is a black hole offensively.

I'm done being nice about him.

White is going to get bought out and sign for league min. It's the easiest and cheapest route due to his contract status. 850k for 5 and a cap credit of -625 for 1. Not a bad trade-out.

PJ for Brown would be a mistake for EDM. PJ brings a lot more to the table in advanced stats than a lot of people realize. He's pretty decent defensively and creates space for a lot of other guys to thrive. Brown is also good defensively and his transition skills are pretty decent off the rush. Sucks about his wrists but a healthy summer should be good for him.

As for the draft position: I'd love to get 1 or 2 overall but in all seriousness, I think 7th or 8th overall will turn into a top 6 forward regardless (Fiala or otherwise).

I really don't want Fiala as he is already 25 and in his prime. I want a player that will enter and play his prime with the Sens core. Also the price would be absurd. And the Buffalo trade isn't bad if you shelter him.

As for the Oilers trade I saw you're earlier comment about PJ and though that he would be perfect for the line but it's really just a base but I could see true potential there as with Kane you don't really need PJ anymore and his relationship with Edmonton is probably still a bit rocky.
      Green4D4 liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:04 p.m.
      KFTW
      If the top 4 go in order,

My next order of preference is:
      1) Jiricek
      2) Savoie
      3) Kemell
      4) Lekkerimaki
      5) Lambert
      6) Gauthier
      Green4D4 and JustanIdea liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      Quoting: JustanIdea
      I really don't want Fiala as he is already 25 and in his prime. I want a player that will enter and play his prime with the Sens core. Also the price would be absurd. And the Buffalo trade isn't bad if you shelter him.

As for the Oilers trade I saw you're earlier comment about PJ and though that he would be perfect for the line but it's really just a base but I could see true potential there as with Kane you don't really need PJ anymore and his relationship with Edmonton is probably still a bit rocky.

Chabot is also 25. He's entering his prime. Fiala is a top 6 forward and will be for the duration of whatever gis contract turns into. The price is either going to be a first and a prospect from either OTT or NJD. NJD has a more favourable pick at #5 and a decent amount of prospects. The core isn't going to get any younger and are all aging together regardless so bringing in someone who's entering it now vs. entering it in a few years is moot. Ottawa needs to compete in this division. I'd rather not wait for teams to fall out. Ottawa needs to improve or is just another 5th place in the atlantic season.

PJ is under team control in EDM regardless and UFA for RFA straight up rarely happen. I'd like PJ because OTT's RFA depth is atrocious past Batherson and Brown. EDM would sooner anchor a pick to Kassians contract than trade PJ.
      CD282 liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      Quoting: csick
      If the top 4 go in order,

My next order of preference is:
      1) Jiricek
      2) Savoie
      3) Kemell
      4) Lekkerimaki
      5) Lambert
      6) Gauthier

No. Gauthier is Logan Brown 2.0. way too many similarities... I'd rather take one of the Russians or trade out of the top 10.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:12 p.m.
      KFTW
      Quoting: Green4D4

No. Gauthier is Logan Brown 2.0. way too many similarities... I'd rather take one of the Russians or trade out of the top 10.

Geekie is Logan Brown
      Green4D4 liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      Quoting: csick
      Geekie is Logan Brown

WOOPPS you be correct!
      csick liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
      Serf
      Quoting: JustanIdea

I can’t reply to that other guy because I have him on ignore, for good reason, but here’s the Senators defencemen giveaway numbers from Oct 15 on. Zaitsev had a terrible first game of the season, and it’s skewed his seasons numbers from, day one. Here are the teams final 81 games, among defencemen.

FSWa3cfWYAAdL8A?format=jpg&name=large
      gretzkyghosts liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
      There were rumours the Habs were sniffing around Colin White leading up to the trade deadline and I couldn't really understand why. All I could come up with is an Armia vs White swap - 2 underwhelming players with similar cap hits and term.

I'm not trying to be snarky or looking to dump a Habs burden onto the Sens, but does this make any sense to you guys? If not, do you have any idea who would have been involved in a White-to-Habs deal?
      I'm genuinely curious.
      May 9, 2022 at 11:17 p.m.
      Quoting: uncle_toto
      There were rumours the Habs were sniffing around Colin White leading up to the trade deadline and I couldn't really understand why. All I could come up with is an Armia vs White swap - 2 underwhelming players with similar cap hits and term.

That's the common consenssus and I can see why either GM would do it but I don't know if it would have been that. White's buyout is peanuts and doesn't hurt anybody but I really don't know but reportedly the deal was very close to finishing.
      uncle_toto liked this.
      May 9, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.
      Quoting: sensibleguy
      I can’t reply to that other guy because I have him on ignore, for good reason, but here’s the Senators defencemen giveaway numbers from Oct 15 on. Zaitsev had a terrible first game of the season, and it’s skewed his seasons numbers from, day one. Here are the teams final 81 games, among defencemen.

FSWa3cfWYAAdL8A?format=jpg&name=large

He's not terrible especially for the amount of money of a team buying on a retain.

He just has like one extremely dumb play a week or two weeks which hurts his rep. Other than that he is a very sold defensive defenseman and I'd be fine with him on the third pair at like 1-2 million.
      gretzkyghosts and sensibleguy liked this.
      May 10, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
      @sensibleguy I have many Sabre ACGM's on my DNR list for similar reasons. Hard to argue with facts my friend.
      @JustanIdea
      @ $2,250,000 AVV Nikita would look really good in a Sabre uniform.
      sensibleguy and JustanIdea liked this.
      May 10, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
      That's an easy "no" from Edmonton. Puljujarvi would sign that same contract you gave Brown and is the better player, while being bigger, younger with a MUCH higher ceiling, and physical.

Brown v Puljujarvi

There's absolutely no upside here for Edmonton.
      May 11, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
      Quoting: gretzkyghosts
      sensibleguy I have many Sabre ACGM's on my DNR list for similar reasons. Hard to argue with facts my friend.
      JustanIdea
      $2,250,000 AVV Nikita would look really good in a Sabre uniform.

He'd be fine and help both teams a lot as Ottawa would get out of his contract and Buffalo would get a fine defenseman for the third pairing. That's basically what you have to pay for the third pairing nowadays.
      gretzkyghosts liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Loading animation
      Submit Poll Edit