Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason moves with Price in limbo and 2022 starting lineup

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2022
Published: May 11, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Main issue here is that with Price's uncertain future, Habs can't spend his cap equivalency during the offseason. His cap hit counts until he can be placed on LTIR once the season starts.

So the main goal for Kent Hughes this offseason is unloading salary.

- Moving Weber will be easy, and can probably get the Habs a decent draft pick in the process.
- My reasoning for moving Hoffman to Nashville, is if Forsberg walks, NSH take a chance on Hoffman at a bargain price hoping to renew whatever chemistry he had with Duchene in OTT. Obviously if Forsberg re-signs, the deal is dead in the water.
- Petry is worth more than a 2nd rd pick in my opinion. However, to get his maximized value Hughes would have to retain sizeable salary. I don't want to do that. So odds are Petry stays with MTL. I moved him at a bargain process to prevent salary retention, and because I want to sign Letang. Obviously if Letang doesn't sign. Just keep Petry.
- Armia is the only deal I'll pay a premium to offload his contract. It would also open a roster spot for youth to come in. Not a lot of teams can just take salary, and it doesn't have to be CBJ.

Keep both Drouin and Byron. Pray they have a decent upcoming season. Try and get decent value for them at the trade deadline.

Draft Wright at 1st overall.

Roy is the "surprise" player who makes the team out of training camp.

Guhle beats out Harris for the last spot in the top 6.

Sign Romanov to a long term contract. You pay a premium now, hoping it becomes a bargain later.

(Optional) Would put Poehling on the trading block (try and get someone of similar age more suited for LW), and look to sign a veteran Left-handed C for depth/injury replacement (Eakin or Helm?)

Another thing to consider. Although the cap will be at $82.5mil. Habs will roughly have $2mil allocated to perfomance bonuses and Karl Alzner's buyout...

Finally.....Tank for Bedard, and hope to god FLA have a disastrous 2022-23 season to get another lottery pick :)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$4,000,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
2$1,750,000
1$950,000
1$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Wright, Shane
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
    Something
    MTL
    1. 2023 3rd round pick (NSH)
    MTL
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (DAL)
    CBJ
    1. Armia, Joel
    2. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
    3. 2022 4th round pick (TBL)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$65,122,499$1,132,500$1,482,500$17,377,501
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Wright, Shane
    $925,000$925,000
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 5
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $856,667$856,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 4
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $880,833$880,833
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 11, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
    Hire Dusty Imoo
    ngl habs should stay away from letang, let the youth develop
    Lenny7 liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: McSchleep

Just out of curiosity.... what youth are you thinking about that could slot on the top pair playing the right side?......
    Lenny7 liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
    Lenny7
    The idea that Weber gets the Habs a pick back is something that continues to befuddle me. With the amount of capped out teams out there, the likelihood that there's a lineup of teams out there that will pay to move a 1-2 year cap dump is pretty high. Future considerations similar to Boychuk? Sure. But "A decent draft pick"? I don't see it. Arizona is amassing futures. Yes, they need to get to the floor, but I don't know why they'd actually pay someone to do it, especially given that Weber actually has a negative impact on the Habs future cap (Being in LTIR is the reason why the Habs bonus overages are pushed to next year).

Not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't really make sense to me. The low AAV/High hit? Sure. Giving up assets to do it? Nahhh.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
    Hire Dusty Imoo
    Quoting: Blazingbat11
    Just out of curiosity.... what youth are you thinking about that could slot on the top pair playing the right side?......

i dont think hugo will be able to find a home for petry. put guhle and harris 3rd pair. and move savards contract
    May 11, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
    Lenny7

This! Find a stop-gap, or keep Petry. Aside from the close-to-the-heart "Bring our hometown boy home!!!" stuff, Letang leaving a contender to hit the basement and *likely* be declining by the time the Habs are competitive again seems like a poor investment (Plus, it'll cost closer to $8-8.5 x 3 or 4 to get him)
    McSchleep and uncle_toto liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: Lenny7
    The idea that Weber gets the Habs a pick back is something that continues to befuddle me. With the amount of capped out teams out there, the likelihood that there's a lineup of teams out there that will pay to move a 1-2 year cap dump is pretty high. Future considerations similar to Boychuk? Sure. But "A decent draft pick"? I don't see it. Arizona is amassing futures. Yes, they need to get to the floor, but I don't know why they'd actually pay someone to do it, especially given that Weber actually has a negative impact on the Habs future cap (Being in LTIR is the reason why the Habs bonus overages are pushed to next year).

Not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't really make sense to me. The low AAV/High hit? Sure. Giving up assets to do it? Nahhh.

I'm not saying it will be a great pick (1st or 2nd rd), but the thing is that there will be a market for his contract.

There WILL be teams looking to get to the cap floor, even in this cap strapped era we are in. ARI will be among them. Others will be OTT, SEA, maybe BUF.
    The benefit of going for Weber's contract is....instead of spending millions of dollars on players you might not even want in your line up taking a roster spot that could be better served on young guns, you get Weber's insured contract, and pay ZERO dollars. it's all about the money, and we've seen GMs pay for financial flexibility.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    i dont think hugo will be able to find a home for petry. put guhle and harris 3rd pair. and move savards contract

Yeah, I wrote as much in my description. Petry and Letang are honestly interchangeable in this lineup (although Letang is significantly better). Nobody is taking Savards contract.... Alzner 2.0...but I do have a little bit of hope Savard can turn things around.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
    Nah.
    CBJ pass. They have no need for Armia on the B6, and that is otherwise a lot of money and term to take on.

AZ got a (2025) 2nd for taking on 1.5 season of Ritchie. To take on three season of Armia who still has about $12M due to him? The bribe would have to be *much* better than a 3rd and 4th.
    Viqsi liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    Quoting: dopplsan
    CBJ pass. They have no need for Armia on the B6, and that is otherwise a lot of money and term to take on.

AZ got a (2025) 2nd for taking on 1.5 season of Ritchie. To take on three season of Armia who still has about $12M due to him? The bribe would have to be *much* better than a 3rd and 4th.

Yeah, I did mention it didn't have to be CBJ.... at best though I'd bump up my offer to include a 2nd rd pick, but that's it. His contract will be hard to move...no doubt about that.
    dopplsan liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
    This! Find a stop-gap, or keep Petry. Aside from the close-to-the-heart "Bring our hometown boy home!!!" stuff, Letang leaving a contender to hit the basement and *likely* be declining by the time the Habs are competitive again seems like a poor investment (Plus, it'll cost closer to $8-8.5 x 3 or 4 to get him)

And the same crowd trying to dump Petry because of his contract will start clamouring to get rid of Letang's deal in a season or two.
    Lenny7 liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
    Nah.
    Yeah, I did mention it didn't have to be CBJ.... at best though I'd bump up my offer to include a 2nd rd pick, but that's it. His contract will be hard to move...no doubt about that.

A 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th? I'd still pass. Preferably, I'd want a 1st; but, I know MTL wouldn't give that up considering the next few years.

You guys could probably move Petry and Hoffman, get something for them. You still have almost $15M in cap space. Probably would just be best to bite the bullet and keep Armia for another year.
    Blazingbat11 and Viqsi liked this.
    May 11, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh

That's exactly what Letang would be..... a stop gap..... You need someone for 2-3 years to shelter the kids and allow them to develop properly, hence why I signed him to a 3 year deal....so with that being said, why not the hometown boy?! I get the other side of things, not much reason for Letang to come here other than sentimentality....
    May 11, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh

The dilemma with that is... if Habs keep Armia in this situation, they in cap trouble (surprising I know). If Price isn't "LTIretired" and miraculously comes back..... Habs are over the cap. Take into account that MTL have to pay over $1.1mil in performance bonuses from this past season, and still over $800k in buyout to Alzner.....

*EDIT* So I see Alzner's buyout is already taken into account, but it would still have MTL up against the cap..... as a bottom feeder team....
    May 11, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
    Nah.
    The dilemma with that is... if Habs keep Armia in this situation, they in cap trouble (surprising I know). If Price isn't "LTIretired" and miraculously comes back..... Habs are over the cap. Take into account that MTL have to pay over $1.1mil in performance bonuses from this past season, and still over $800k in buyout to Alzner.....

*EDIT* So I see Alzner's buyout is already taken into account, but it would still have MTL up against the cap..... as a bottom feeder team....

What about burying him?
    May 11, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
    Molson beer is meh
    What about burying him?

would bury Byron over Armia.

Armia is still useful, and would actually be a great 4th liner, and if he can play up to his potential, be a legit 3rd liner that can play the PK. He's just overpaid.
    May 11, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
    Habs4ever
    I'm not saying it will be a great pick (1st or 2nd rd), but the thing is that there will be a market for his contract.

There WILL be teams looking to get to the cap floor, even in this cap strapped era we are in. ARI will be among them. Others will be OTT, SEA, maybe BUF.
    The benefit of going for Weber's contract is....instead of spending millions of dollars on players you might not even want in your line up taking a roster spot that could be better served on young guns, you get Weber's insured contract, and pay ZERO dollars. it's all about the money, and we've seen GMs pay for financial flexibility.

most people assume it’ll be a negligible return, or that it’ll actually cost the Canadiens something to get Weber off their books, but it’s really the opposite. Any team trading for his contract is doing so to reach the salary-cap floor, and any team trading to reach the floor is a budget team.

people say, “There’s only a total $6 million left in actual dollars to pay Weber over his remaining four years under contract, so a budget team can live with that,” but that’s actually wrong. No team acquiring Weber will be paying that $6 million, because his contract is insured.

Budget teams prefer paying zero. This is free cap space for any team that needs it, and the Canadiens might actually get a reasonable asset for it.
    dopplsan liked this.
    May 12, 2022 at 6:17 a.m.
    Lenny7
    That's exactly what Letang would be..... a stop gap..... You need someone for 2-3 years to shelter the kids and allow them to develop properly, hence why I signed him to a 3 year deal....so with that being said, why not the hometown boy?! I get the other side of things, not much reason for Letang to come here other than sentimentality....

Sure, I get that...but why wouldn't he want to play on a winning team (like the one he's on?)

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll