Forums/Armchair-GM

I want constructive criticism

Created by: EccE
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2022
Published: May 15, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are some ideas I spitballed for a Fiala trade. They are by no means perfect. Let me know what you think.

For context, I want to draft Kemell, but I'm not sure if he is available at #7, so that's why I'm trying to explore other trade options. Ottawa is the most likely destination imo.
Trades
MIN
  1. 2022 1st round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
#7 overall
OTT
    Kevin Fiala
    MIN
    1. 2022 1st round pick (NJD)
    Additional Details:
    #2 overall
    NJD
    1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
    2. Talbot, Cam
    3. 2022 1st round pick (MIN)
    Additional Details:
    Pick in the 20s, also solves NJD issues at G
    MIN
    1. 2022 1st round pick (PHI)
    Additional Details:
    #5 overall
    PHI
      Kevin Fiala
      2022 1st round pick
      What else? Talbot? Jost? Even Greenway? PHI wants somebody NHL-ready I'm sure

Don't know if PHI wants Fiala, but they have Fletcher making decisions so there's that. They also want to contend instead of rebuilding and bringing in Fiala is a win-now move.
      Buyouts
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the NJD
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the MIN
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$82,500,000$74,174,421$0$765,000$8,325,579
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Minnesota Wild
      $9,000,000$9,000,000
      LW
      UFA - 4
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $3,100,000$3,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LW, C
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $7,575,000$7,575,000
      RD
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD/RD
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,125,000$1,125,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      LD
      UFA - 3
      $855,000$855,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 15, 2022 at 10:55 a.m.
      There are better options in net than Talbot that can be had cheaper. I don't see who is giving up a high first for Fiala to set the bar that high. Who else has cap space, money to pay, ability to win soon? I want to see how many teams actually can he in on Fiala, otherwise the price won't be nearly this high...
      May 15, 2022 at 10:56 a.m.
      Representing the 505
      I would think any trade for Fiala would have to be a sign-and-trade or come with a guarantee that he'd sign long-term with his new club. I imagine some clubs were put off by his poor playoff performance but maybe he'd do better with a real 1C like Hughes.
      Personally I think Ottawa needs to add a good not great prospect to that deal like Jarventie, JBD, etc. 7th overall is great, but the Wild are taking all the risk in that trade since a prospect is not a guaranteed asset like Fiala.

Value is fine in the Devils trade, probably a bit of an overpayment with Talbot, but I just don't see why the Devils wouldn't take Slafkovsky or Cooley instead.

I think 5th overall for Fiala is good, just don't think the Flyers have the cap to do it. Like the Ottawa deal I still think an OK prospect should be added.
      Green4D4, EccE, MNCountryClub and 1 other person liked this.
      Dougie HIMilton
      Idk if the Devils make that trade but it's not terrible. Wouldn't be mad if they did but don't want them to, if that makes sense

Idk if Ottawa moves a high first but maybe they smell blood in the water with Bergeron potentially retiring and TBL being another year older.

Philly is dumb so maybe but he's not a player that screams "Philly" yaknow?
      EccE liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 11:03 a.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      Quoting: TanSor
      Personally I think Ottawa needs to add a good not great prospect to that deal like Jarventie, JBD, etc. 7th overall is great, but the Wild are taking all the risk in that trade since a prospect is not a guaranteed asset like Fiala.

Value is fine in the Devils trade, probably a bit of an overpayment with Talbot, but I just don't see why the Devils wouldn't take Slafkovsky or Cooley instead.

I think 5th overall for Fiala is good, just don't think the Flyers have the cap to do it. Like the Ottawa deal I still think an OK prospect should be added.

I'd be more than happy at the 7th and Jarventie or JBD IF Jiricek and Kemell are off the board at that point (which they probably will be).

Fletcher will spend money in some format and if he trades the 5th overall... man. Philly fans are gonna riot if they pass on Jiricek or Nemec because their D depth is GARBAGE... in all likelihood, the keep the pick and pickup Forsberg in FA.
      TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
      Gonna start leaving this in all the Fiala threads to hopefully stave off the really bad takes

TanSor, Green4D4, EccE and 1 other person liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
      From the Devils:

1. I think it would be highly unlikely that they trade out of #2 without getting a very high pick back. My guess is they keep their pick and use their other assets and free agency to address their needs.

2. Our GM has said that he wants "heavier skill" to be added to lineup. He is worried that many of our forwards have similar attributes. "I don't want more of the same", he said. While Fiala differentiates a bit from our current crop, I don't know that he represents the "heavier skill" that Fitzy covets.

3. Talbot on a 1-year deal will likely be more valuable to MIN or to a contender than he would to NJ. We are likely to add someone who will stick around a few years.

4. Unless MIN sees a fit in a "sum-of-the-parts" type deal with NJD (ie, player, prospect, pick), I just don't see a fit.
      EccE and Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
      ... We're a "Team"..
      Quoting: NHLfan10506
      From the Devils:

1. I think it would be highly unlikely that they trade out of #2 without getting a very high pick back. My guess is they keep their pick and use their other assets and free agency to address their needs.

2. Our GM has said that he wants "heavier skill" to be added to lineup. He is worried that many of our forwards have similar attributes. "I don't want more of the same", he said. While Fiala differentiates a bit from our current crop, I don't know that he represents the "heavier skill" that Fitzy covets.

3. Talbot on a 1-year deal will likely be more valuable to MIN or to a contender than he would to NJ. We are likely to add someone who will stick around a few years.

4. Unless MIN sees a fit in a "sum-of-the-parts" type deal with NJD (ie, player, prospect, pick), I just don't see a fit.

I'm jealous you guys are getting Slafkovsky...
      May 15, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
      Dougie HIMilton
      From the Devils:

I'm not gonna pretend to be an insider but I've heard from enough people that the Devils /do/ have interest in Fiala.
      Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 2:59 p.m.
      Quoting: HeadHighSauce
      I'm not gonna pretend to be an insider but I've heard from enough people that the Devils /do/ have interest in Fiala.

Michael Russo (Wild beat writer for the Athletic, and very connected person) said that the Devils wanted Fiala before they knew they had #2, but may still be interested now
      May 15, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
      Dougie HIMilton
      Quoting: Wildwinswhen
      Michael Russo (Wild beat writer for the Athletic, and very connected person) said that the Devils wanted Fiala before they knew they had #2, but may still be interested now

I'd be really upset if they traded pick 2 for Fiala.
      May 15, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
      I'd be really upset if they traded pick 2 for Fiala.

He vanished in the playoffs, but he was a 30 goal scorer this year and he's 25 with one year of salary control. So I don't know. He's a known commodity. I could see us sweetening it with a 4th.

Or if you want to send a tier 2 prospect back, we could add a D3 defenseman like Kulikov/ Merrill or a Talbot.
      May 15, 2022 at 7:04 p.m.
      Dougie HIMilton
      He vanished in the playoffs, but he was a 30 goal scorer this year and he's 25 with one year of salary control. So I don't know. He's a known commodity. I could see us sweetening it with a 4th.

Or if you want to send a tier 2 prospect back, we could add a D3 defenseman like Kulikov/ Merrill or a Talbot.

It’s not that he’s not good. It’s that he’s good but is gonna cost 8M and the devils can afford to be patient. Grab Cooley or Slafkovsky.
      Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
      Edited May 15, 2022 at 7:24 p.m.
      I think 2oa is off the table for Fiala even with adds. NJD is probably still interested, but that would be a future 1st or something built around a prospect.

I don't think PHI is Fiala away from the Playoffs. They'll keep their pick and overpay some UFA instead.

OTT still makes the most sense to me as where Fiala ends up. Maybe they add, maybe they don't. It's a trade made when they are on the clock at the draft.

Edit* Fiala could tank his trade value just by saying he's not going to sign anywhere long term. If that's the case then his value is that of a Playoff 1st + good (but not great) prospect
      Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.

Just speculation at this point.
      The furthest I could imagine it has gotten would be NJD requesting to speak with player.
      Everyone knows the Devils are interested in wingers and everyone knows the Wild are selling one.

Also, we have no idea where this is coming from. It could be from agent to drum up interest in client.
      If could be from Minnesota to create a market for him.
      It could be from NJD to distract from something else that is going on (ie, their 'interest' in Ristolainen was cover for efforts to land Dougie).

Too early to put too much stock into it.
      May 15, 2022 at 8:10 p.m.

But not sure if lottery would have changed anything as whomever they land at #2 or at #5 is not likely to impact their interest in Fiala.
      They probably have a similar list of guys for either pick.

So if they were interested before, they're likely still interested.
      Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 15, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
      Dougie HIMilton
      Just speculation at this point.
      The furthest I could imagine it has gotten would be NJD requesting to speak with player.
      Everyone knows the Devils are interested in wingers and everyone knows the Wild are selling one.

Also, we have no idea where this is coming from. It could be from agent to drum up interest in client.
      If could be from Minnesota to create a market for him.
      It could be from NJD to distract from something else that is going on (ie, their 'interest' in Ristolainen was cover for efforts to land Dougie).

Too early to put too much stock into it.

It’s more than speculation. At least their interest in him. As for trade talks, sure.
      Wildwinswhen liked this.
      May 16, 2022 at 9:12 a.m.
      Quoting: Green4D4
      I'd be more than happy at the 7th and Jarventie or JBD IF Jiricek and Kemell are off the board at that point (which they probably will be).

Fletcher will spend money in some format and if he trades the 5th overall... man. Philly fans are gonna riot if they pass on Jiricek or Nemec because their D depth is GARBAGE... in all likelihood, the keep the pick and pickup Forsberg in FA.

They very well might pass on Jiricek and Nemec because Fletcher apparently thinks Ristolainen is a top-tier dman. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
      Green4D4 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll