Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We wont tank for Bedard
But we also wont add UFA's to expedite a Rebuild

Price will remain as Allen's Back Up
He'll either gain some stability in that knee or he wont
Best way to find out is to play him before we decide to re-sign Allen
If Price goes on IR then IMO Allen/Primeau is the duo
Dobes in the AHL after next year as NCAA limited Schedule is hard on Goalie Development as seen in Primeau who's good for 1-2 games but doesnt have the conditioning or experience for long road trips where he racks up L'S

I think Selling off Pending UFA's makes sense
But i also moving out Hoffman or Savard isnt worth the cost
They both offer something unlike an Alzner so keeping them is still very much an option.
Armia had a bad year but it made sense with IR then covid then IR then New Coach all after not 1 but both his long time Centers got traded after a SCF run where his line was 2nd only to Suzuki's in offense.

Gally i know people want to trade,But i wont be doing that.
To them i say you can leave now if thats a problem
Although i think this team can compete
Its being built so its 100% on the youth and their veterans
If injuries happen its on them to step up with the stocked Laval Talent we got.

All that aside here's my Logic:

Dvorak under MSL has 17pts in 22 games after returning from IR to a new coach in MSL. His Faceoffs hit another League Leading level in those 22 games with 211/364 faceoffs with a 72.5% Faceoff Win Rate. He's a Left handed Draw behind 2 Right Handed Centers and he'll destroy bottom 6 competition like Sissons has for years in NSH at the bare minimum

If i got Wright and Suzuki Longterm Dvorak at his Cap with that Production is a Wet Dream Scenario. Plus the amount you can sell him off for as a pending UFA later rises as he rebounds under MSL on a team trending in the right position.

Centers all 25 or under who make 15m combined for atleast 3 years
Not Garbage Centers either we're talking 2nd only to LAK kinda depth
Now i did bring in Faksa to take Draws but Poehling is the Center there
He's just so bad at Faceoffs in the Defense Zone MSL stopped letting him take them
Faksa is one of the best DZ FO Centers in the NHL and available to teach Poehling

As Poehling adapts he'll be moved to Center full time
Until then its the Shaw Treatment he did with Chucky,Danault and Domi
He takes the draws then moves to wing until they dont need him to anymore

This gives MTL maximum time with Possession taking the Pressure of the young developing D Core while also building up the values of Faksa Dvorak who will both be up around the same time and will train their replacements. (Dvorak will train Kidney IMO and Faksa will Poehling)

Our Dcore is what it is
They have to Emerge as we have many LD and only 1 spot long term as is
If they want top 4 they'll have to push Petry out as he's the only top 4 capable player that wants out unless as we can always just move Eddy to 3rd pair with Savard

Xhekaj gets in over everyone else as he's an over achiever with a high compete level who can step into any role playing the most or the least minutes. He's exploded offensively since mastering his Weber like Cannon's Accuracy. While he may not be as accurate as Weber him now hitting the net has resulted in a lot more rebounds and therefore Offensive zone Time. More then that he's just as Physical and likely to Block a Shot as Weber also around the same size.

MTL's blessed as Struble and him are the same age still really young and will be just entering their prime as Romanov,Harris and Barron will become Veterans in their late 20's. Along with Mailloux and Ghule it gives MTL a 2nd wave that's deeper then the first with honorable mentions like Norlinder and Gawankee being left out as they're more Matt Taormina types who was a top AHL D into his mind 30s but that was really the threshold.

Could MTL go on a Cup Run ?
Sure as we're left in a position to be strong at the TDL whether we're buyers or sellers

Could MTL get the 1st OA pick again?
Sure for the same reason but why bother with the depth we have coupled with the picks we'll make this year just on there's a slim chance we'll be one of the few to get back to back 1st OA picks
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
3$1,350,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
2$1,050,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$1,200,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Wright, Shane
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Faksa, Radek
  2. 2022 4th round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
DAL gets
-Evans to replace Faksa at half the cap. He's a good faceoff Center but with Wright coming to MTL he's out as low man.(if he was better at DZ FO's then we'd keep him but he's like 42% in DZ)
DAL
  1. Evans, Jake
Additional Details:
DAL pays a 4th at the Draft to swap bottom 6 Centers removing 1.55cap long term

MTL get what they need and they dont care about cap
MTL
  1. Timmins, Conor
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
Timmins is injury prone likely will never play in the NHL but our AHL RD core is so much worse on its best day without him. The hope is he figures out how to take a hit and makes good pushing himself to the NHL proving me wrong. But either way Laval needs leaders to which is why we keep re-signing Oullette

3rd round pick is about as much as we'd get at 50% RS
They real payoff is to whoever can get him below 1m
ARI
  1. Byron, Paul ($1,700,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Byron to ARZ for Timmins and a 3rd round pick
ARZ then RS 50% making Byrons hit 835k (Phaneuf proved you can RS twice i know someone ALWAYS argues it on here)

ARZ then trades Byron to TBL for a Conditional 2nd and a prospect.
MTL
  1. Gawanke, Leon [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 4th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
AHL RD who's no long Waiver Exempt
WPG can always claim him when we waive him to start the year if they trully feel like he's their guy.

MTL need Quality AHL RD
Years past letting RD run on ECHL RD didnt matter.
Next year we got Ghule,Xhekaj(IRL not this post),and Norlinder in Laval playing LD. We need them to have atleast AHL level talent to help their development along

Gawanke is basically a forward playing D from the games i saw but for Ghule who hast to work on his Offense Transitioning maybe that's a good thing for the project stay at home D.

Oullette will join Timmons and Gawanke on RD
This is important as the NHL Dcore im skating relies on call ups
WPG
  1. Drouin, Jonathan ($2,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Drouin at 50% RS to WPG for
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,367,082$1,132,500$1,570,000$7,132,918
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
Wright, Shane
$925,000$925,000
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2022 at 7:49 a.m.
Edited May 16, 2022 at 7:56 a.m.
Drouin at $2.75m sounds like an offseason trade that a team like Arizona would take (Edit: and only if you pay them), not Winnipeg. If Drouin proves himself during the season, then I could see teams trading for him mid-season or at the TDL.
Windjammer liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 7:53 a.m.
TL;DR. Only thing I’m confused about is why Arizona, a tanking team, is giving a pick and a prospect for some guy only to potentially get something slightly better at the TDL. Even if you do believe Byron will get a 2nd and a better prospect at the TDL, it sounds to me like a Montreal fan needs to shed a little more cap to make this work and is trying to spin the narrative to make it seem unbiased
justaBoss liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 7:58 a.m.
I don’t agree with you in the description, but I understand where you wanna go. But no way on earth MTL trade Jake Evans for Radek Faksa and no way ARI trade Timmins for Byron
May 16, 2022 at 8:04 a.m.
If WPG trades Gawanke, that would be the poorest asset management ever and the last nail to the coffin of their draft and develop. Gawanke, a much needed RHD, flourishing in the AHL, even has good size. Instead you bring Schmidt and Dillon in to take those lineup spots.. meh. Hopefully both of them get moved this year so players like Samberg, Heinola, Gawanke or even Chisholm can get serious NHL opportunity.
May 16, 2022 at 8:06 a.m.
What in tarnation
DAL accepts
May 16, 2022 at 8:32 a.m.
WHat is this love affair everyone has with Radek Faska? I just dont see it. another 30 point producer, NO THANK YOU, stop mentioning him in trades, we are rebuilding not adding patches.
May 16, 2022 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: betahuman
If WPG trades Gawanke, that would be the poorest asset management ever and the last nail to the coffin of their draft and develop. Gawanke, a much needed RHD, flourishing in the AHL, even has good size. Instead you bring Schmidt and Dillon in to take those lineup spots.. meh. Hopefully both of them get moved this year so players like Samberg, Heinola, Gawanke or even Chisholm can get serious NHL opportunity.

I'm genuinely curious how the Jets manage the defensive prospect pool in the offseason.
Waivers exempt: Chisholm, Heinola, Kuzmin, Lundmark, Samberg
Waivers required: Gawanke, Kovacevic, Phillips

In terms of those needing waivers, Gawanke and Kovacevic are unlikely to clear but Phillips would. That leaves the Jets with a training camp of: DeMelo, Dillon, Gawanke, Kovacevic, Heinola, Morrissey, Pionk, Samberg, Schmidt, Stanley. It will be interesting to see who will be moved this offseason.
Billy739 liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 9:17 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
I'm genuinely curious how the Jets manage the defensive prospect pool in the offseason.

In terms of those needing waivers, Gawanke and Kovacevic are unlikely to clear but Phillips would. That leaves the Jets with a training camp of: DeMelo, Dillon, Gawanke, Kovacevic, Heinola, Morrissey, Pionk, Samberg, Schmidt, Stanley. It will be interesting to see who will be moved this offseason.

Gawanke is great , watched him in Junior here alot
But he's not a D who can make it work at the NHL level as he's a Turnover Machine
For every point he has, he's go almost 2 turnovers in Junior anyways
He spends more Energy trying to Fix his Mistakes rather then Reacting in a way to Prepare for the Future

Its why i compared him to Matt Tauromina who was an AHL All Star 3 years straight where he lead Syracuse Crunch to a Finals
They came up just short because thats the story of Tauromina's career.
He always was a finger tip away from touching his goals but never could win that AHL title or get that NHL job despite being REALLY Good

Gawankee is the same because as they age they choose not to evolve relying on what got them drafted and nothing more.
Into todays NHL or even AHL its not enough to win titles or get call ups

I could be wrong
I was about Mike Reilly being a top 4 D
That said i still feel it wasnt by much
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
May 16, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.

You think none is taking Gawanke from waivers? Interesting
May 16, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
Gawanke is great , watched him in Junior here alot
But he's not a D who can make it work at the NHL level as he's a Turnover Machine
For every point he has, he's go almost 2 turnovers in Junior anyways
He spends more Energy trying to Fix his Mistakes rather then Reacting in a way to Prepare for the Future

Its why i compared him to Matt Tauromina who was an AHL All Star 3 years straight where he lead Syracuse Crunch to a Finals
They came up just short because thats the story of Tauromina's career.
He always was a finger tip away from touching his goals but never could win that AHL title or get that NHL job despite being REALLY Good

Gawankee is the same because as they age they choose not to evolve relying on what got them drafted and nothing more.
Into todays NHL or even AHL its not enough to win titles or get call ups

I could be wrong
I was about Mike Reilly being a top 4 D
That said i still feel it wasnt by much

I've only watch a bit of Gawanke in the AHL, though definitely not enough to have a strong view on him.

Some takes from The Athletic on Gawanke...

Wheeler (Jan 2022): Leon Gawanke, RHD, 22 (Manitoba Moose). Whenever I’ve watched the Moose this season, Gawanke has caught my eye. His raw tools have always been noticeable. Shots come off his blade hard and he’s got pro size and strength with a powerful stride through his crossovers. He also manages the offensive zone blue line effectively, playing quickly when the play breaks down or slowly when he needs to. Plus he’s a righty. Now in his third season of pro hockey, it’s clear he wants to take control, play confidently, and use his feet wherever possible. And where his defensive game once lacked polish, it has looked more heady through his reads and timing this season, as evidenced by his strong underlying numbers. He appears to be behind Samberg, Heinola and Chisholm on the depth chart, which may make his path to the NHL in Winnipeg difficult, plus he’s an RFA at the end of this season, so I’ll be interested to see what they do with him.

Pronman (Aug 2021): Leon Gawanke, RHD, Manitoba-AHL: Gawanke is an intelligent puck-mover who can outlet pucks and has some power-play poise. His skating is just OK, and without a ton of offense it’s hard to see exactly what his NHL role would be.
May 16, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
You think none is taking Gawanke from waivers? Interesting

I said he is unlikely to clear waivers. Phillips would clear waivers.
May 16, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
I said he is unlikely to clear waivers. Phillips would clear waivers.

Why do you include them in the training camp then? I'm not a native speaker so I'm probably missing something in the translation
May 16, 2022 at 9:40 a.m.
Why do you include them in the training camp then? I'm not a native speaker so I'm probably missing something in the translation

It would be after training camp when players who don't make the team (and aren't exempt) would have to clear waivers before going to the Moose.
May 16, 2022 at 9:42 a.m.
Evans truther
Montreal management has basically made it clear that they'll use next year as a transitory one where no big acquisition will be made and assets will be moved out (Weber, Petry and likely all our pendings again), we won't tank but it's pretty clear they're looking for a lottery pick again (10-12ish) which I'm fine with considering the current state of the Atlantic division. People thinking we'll be a bubble team clearly undervalue the loss of Price, Chiarot and eventually Petry on the long run.

On the other hand I don't understand why we'd trade a homegrown fourth line center on a great contract away to acquire basically an older version of him making almost 2x his cap. 4C isn't really a problem that needs to gets solved immediately considering other things.
May 16, 2022 at 9:43 a.m.
It would be after training camp when players who don't make the team (and aren't exempt) would have to clear waivers before going to the Moose.

Ah stupid me, Thanks
May 16, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
Ah stupid me, Thanks

No worries. I hate the start of regular season waivers too (aside from the chaos, I love the chaos)
May 16, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
Zero chance Drouin returns two positive assets, no matter how much you retain. And it certainly won't be Winnipeg saddling themselves with him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll