Forums/Armchair-GM

Trading Problems

Created by: jonh514
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2022
Published: May 16, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lots of teams have players who are not living up to their contracts or potential. Sometimes all those players need is a change of scenery. Maybe the Habs can work a few MSL miracles here.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
2$950,000
2$2,300,000
2$950,000
3$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Wright, Shane
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
    We get the player off our cap. They get 7.8 million closer to the cap floor at a cost of 1.5 million per season for 4 years.
    MTL
    1. Mantha, Anthony
    Additional Details:
    Habs get another enigmatic project player who would be amazing if he played that way every game
    WSH
    1. Armia, Joel
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    Caps get a pick and 2.3 million off their cap for 3 years and get a serviceable bottom 6 winger who would be amazing if he played like that every game
    MTL
    1. Dumba, Matt
    Additional Details:
    Wild shift some salary from defence to forward
    MIN
    1. Gallagher, Brendan
    Additional Details:
    Habs Retain $2,000,000/season
    Habs pick up a RD without term to replace Jeff Petry while some of the kids mature in the AHL
    MTL
    1. 2022 2nd round pick (DAL)
    Additional Details:
    Stars get a decent replacement for Klingberg on a palatable term
    DAL
    1. Petry, Jeff
    Additional Details:
    Habs move a player based on his trade request
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$74,094,999$1,132,500$1,357,500$8,405,001
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Wright, Shane
    $925,000$925,000
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $880,833$880,833
    RW, LW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 16, 2022 at 8:04 p.m.
    Caps, Wild, and Stars all say no.

Yotes are a maybe.
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
    v5 Minnesota GM
    Weber gets a 2nd + 4th in return, Weber would be on LTIR so it wouldn't do harm to keep him

Caps reject, teams think, of Armia as a cap dump (even though he isn't), but even then, it's nit enough for Mantha, maybe a good prospect should be added

I like the Gallagher deal, but the retention part isn't ideal, hasb aren't retaining 2m for 6 years, it's unrealistic. Maybe habs add a 3rd, adn the deal is fine without retention

I think Petry gets slightly more, maybe Gurianov + 3rd would make sense, as he does need a change of scenery

Then, maybe you'd trade Hoffman in an alternative deal

Overall, these trades aren't bad, but most need a couple tweaks
    raph222b and jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 8:26 p.m.
    Hire Dusty Imoo
    Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
    Weber gets a 2nd + 4th in return, Weber would be on LTIR so it wouldn't do harm to keep him

Caps reject, teams think, of Armia as a cap dump (even though he isn't), but even then, it's nit enough for Mantha, maybe a good prospect should be added

I like the Gallagher deal, but the retention part isn't ideal, hasb aren't retaining 2m for 6 years, it's unrealistic. Maybe habs add a 3rd, adn the deal is fine without retention

I think Petry gets slightly more, maybe Gurianov + 3rd would make sense, as he does need a change of scenery

could you please explain how a player who practically retired due to injury would get a 2nd and a 4th?
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 8:54 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM

I was looking at Mantha's numbers. He really has not done anything to live up to that contract. Very similar to Armia but with more pressure. What did you see in his past 2 seasons that make you say this is a bad deal? I think they're gonna be looking to cap dump him in another year so the 2nd and 2.3M off the cap is pretty good. I get the upside, but he's not shown it for a few years and has not been the same since his shoulder surgery so there's a lot of risk there.

I think the habs will have to leave something on the table to trade Petry, because even if he puts up 40+ pts next season, there's reason to believe he might slow in another year or two down at 36-37 years old.

I don't think anyone but Marc Bergevin is paying Gallagher 6.5 million. At 4.5 you look at him and think, maybe he can be the player he was again and I'm willing to take the risk.

I think Hoffman is gonna put up 25-30 goals next season and then he can be traded at the TDL or in the offseason fo a little more value. I'd hold him instead
    May 16, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    Quoting: RazWild
    Caps, Wild, and Stars all say no.

Yotes are a maybe.

Not gonna argue with you. I am just looking for teams with "distressed assets" and looking to make trades where possible. None of these trades is intended to be a home run for either team and that's the point. Everyone gets something and the players get a fresh start.
    May 16, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
    v5 Minnesota GM
    Quoting: McSchleep
    could you please explain how a player who practically retired due to injury would get a 2nd and a 4th?

Because, Arizona needs to reach the cap floor, and they need to get players with money. For the owner , it's very good to acquire a player with high cap hit, adn low actual money. That's what Weber is, he's only owed 1m or 2m over the remaining years of the contract. So it's very profitable because
    A) Arizona reaches the cap floor
    B) they do so without paying alot of money

It's extremely good for Arizona too, because of how low of revenue they'll have next year
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM

I have to agree. Weber's contract is a detriment to every team that does not want an excuse not to hit the cap floor. The only team who would want it is Arizona (and maybe Nashville for the control). They may take it but I doubt they pay for it.
    McSchleep liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
    Do it now!
    Mantha for Armia, 2nd

Caps counter with: 7th for Armia (-$1.7M), 3rd
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    Because, Arizona needs to reach the cap floor, and they need to get players with money. For the owner , it's very good to acquire a player with high cap hit, adn low actual money. That's what Weber is, he's only owed 1m or 2m over the remaining years of the contract. So it's very profitable because

It's extremely good for Arizona too, because of how low of revenue they'll have next year

The only fault in this logic is that Arizona may want this, but don't "need" it - and the contract is of no value to anyone else. The habs get to save 6 million over 4 years if Arizona do them this favour. Not everyone needs to profit in every deal. This would be good for both teams as a simple swap.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
    Hire Dusty Imoo

the picks go with weber to arizona not the other way around. Arizona can easily reach the cap floor by resigning guys like kessel, eriksson and stralman. arizonas not wasting valuable picks especially when they are rebuilding
    May 16, 2022 at 9:02 p.m.
    v5 Minnesota GM
    the picks go with weber to arizona not the other way around. Arizona can easily reach the cap floor by resigning guys like kessel, eriksson and stralman. arizonas not wasting valuable picks especially when they are rebuilding

Yeah, then they would have to sign them all for 3m
    Not ideal
    May 16, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
    Hire Dusty Imoo
    Yeah, then they would have to sign them all for 3m
    Not ideal

thats more reasonable than wasting picks
    May 16, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    Quoting: WhyWait
    Mantha for Armia, 2nd

Caps counter with: 7th for Armia (-$1.7M), 3rd

Meaning the Habs retain half of Armia's salary and add a 3rd round pick and receive a 7th back? I think the habs might take that deal. I think they would pay a 2nd and a 3rd to not have to retain any salary on Armia and just be done with the contract to be honest.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:09 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    thats more reasonable than wasting picks

If they decide to spend the money... they can probably do better than Kessel, Eriksson, Stralman. There's a lot of notable players who will be looking for new deals and Yotes could get a little younger in the process.
    McSchleep liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:14 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM

I really don't think the Habs will pay to save 1.5M/season not even on the cap. Their building is full. They don't have money problems. This should just be a straight swap.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:22 p.m.
    Quoting: jonh514
    Not gonna argue with you. I am just looking for teams with "distressed assets" and looking to make trades where possible. None of these trades is intended to be a home run for either team and that's the point. Everyone gets something and the players get a fresh start.

You aren't looking at it from any other teams point of view except Montréal's.

1) Capital's moved Vrana and other assets to acquire Mantha, more or less at a high cost. Mantha has played well for them, even when not producing.

A cap dump and a 2nd is piss poor return for the guy. And the only thing of interest for Washington is that 2nd. It sure isn't Armia.

2) The only reason why Dumba is possibly on the move is because we'd be looking to keep Fiala and re-sign him longterm. But in order to do it we'd have to clear enough cap space to sign him and everyone else that needs a new contract.

Taking back any cap, no matter if it's retained or not would defeat the entire reason and purpose of moving Dumba in the first place. In short, it would have to be strictly for futures. Picks and prospects.

Gallagher makes this a no go from the get go.

3) Petry isn't getting close to that type of return, and at his age the chances of him bouncing back are less... not more. You probably have to pay to move him at this point. You're certainly not getting a good return for him.

4) The Arizona trade is the only one with the potential of happening due to them potentially wanting that contract to hit the cap floor.
    jonh514 liked this.
    May 16, 2022 at 9:35 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    Quoting: RazWild
    You aren't looking at it from any other teams point of view except Montréal's.

1) Capital's moved Vrana and other assets to acquire Mantha, more or less at a high cost. Mantha has played well for them, even when not producing.

A cap dump and a 2nd is piss poor return for the guy. And the only thing of interest for Washington is that 2nd. It sure isn't Armia.

2) The only reason why Dumba is possibly on the move is because we'd be looking to keep Fiala and re-sign him longterm. But in order to do it we'd have to clear enough cap space to sign him and everyone else that needs a new contract.

Taking back any cap, no matter if it's retained or not would defeat the entire reason and purpose of moving Dumba in the first place. In short, it would have to be strictly for futures. Picks and prospects.

Gallagher makes this a no go from the get go.

3) Petry isn't getting close to that type of return, and at his age the chances of him bouncing back are less... not more. You probably have to pay to move him at this point. You're certainly not getting a good return for him.

4) The Arizona trade is the only one with the potential of happening due to them potentially wanting that contract to hit the cap floor.

Thanks for the response.

1) I agree with you in principal on Mantha. But he has not played well for the Caps. That's just you trying to make your point. Mantha has played as well for the Caps as Armia has played for the Habs. Yes they paid a lot for him and it would not be the politically correct thing to do to cut ties - so I can't fault you there.

2) I did not realize the Wild were so cap-strapped. Maybe this won't work after all.

3) Petry HAS rebounded. As soon as the coach got fired he started playing like himself again. He had 21 pts in 31 games after the coaching change. Put another way, in the past 5 seasons he's had 4.5 40+pts seasons and 0.5 bad seasons (during which his wife and kids abandoned him during the pandemic and his life fell apart). Petry is a STEAL at a 2nd round pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll