SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Why A Nylander Trade makes no sense

May 16, 2022 at 10:10 p.m.
Please win the cup
He's on a good contract, 6.9 million. fresh off an 80 point year. 34 goals. who are we going to replace him with? Takes the 2nd Center position when Johnny or Matty are out. There really is no other comparable for a Nylander replacement. Took Tampa and Washington Years to win a cup. the core should not be broken up. we have time. they're young. Leafs fans love blowing up the leafs every year.
May 16, 2022 at 11:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
He's on a good contract, 6.9 million. fresh off an 80 point year. 34 goals. who are we going to replace him with? Takes the 2nd Center position when Johnny or Matty are out. There really is no other comparable for a Nylander replacement. Took Tampa and Washington Years to win a cup. the core should not be broken up. we have time. they're young. Leafs fans love blowing up the leafs every year.

Now im not gonna agree to disagree but

Lets say Nylander is traded for Zacha + Sharangovich and a 2022 2nd

If you trade Nylander it does not have to be for one guy but it could be for one-two or three good depth players

Now I know Willy is better than the both of them rn but those 2 would add depth.

Imagine you turn Nylander's 6.9 mill into Zacha who would be at around 3-3.5mill and Sharangovich who is making 2mill

To me if there is a good package out there for him then you should explore it

The difference in that series was depth

Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev not good enough

And our 4th line just was a mess and Spezza just could not carry them

I feel addressing that is a must going into 2022-2023
imawesome, Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
May 17, 2022 at 2:01 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Now im not gonna agree to disagree but

Lets say Nylander is traded for Zacha + Sharangovich and a 2022 2nd

If you trade Nylander it does not have to be for one guy but it could be for one-two or three good depth players

Now I know Willy is better than the both of them rn but those 2 would add depth.

Imagine you turn Nylander's 6.9 mill into Zacha who would be at around 3-3.5mill and Sharangovich who is making 2mill

To me if there is a good package out there for him then you should explore it

The difference in that series was depth

Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev not good enough

And our 4th line just was a mess and Spezza just could not carry them

I feel addressing that is a must going into 2022-2023

I agree with what Nick Kypreous and Justin Borne had to say about Leafs needing a true #1 D man. Reilly does alot things well but doesn't do any of those things at an elite level, including having a threatening shot from the point on the powerplay.

They suggested trading Nylander for such a D man or maybe trading Nylander and not taking on much salary so a D man can be signed.

I don't know who that may be but it's hard to argue with that.
Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
May 17, 2022 at 2:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
I agree with what Nick Kypreous and Justin Borne had to say about Leafs needing a true #1 D man. Reilly does alot things well but doesn't do any of those things at an elite level, including having a threatening shot from the point on the powerplay.

They suggested trading Nylander for such a D man or maybe trading Nylander and not taking on much salary so a D man can be signed.

I honestly think going forward depth should be priority

Let Rielly go back with Brodie and have Muzzin be with Liligren and Sandin on the right of Gio or pair him with Lybushkin if you bring him back. Heck maybe Niemela just tears through training camp and in the preseason he and Muzzin show chemistry. These are all possibilities

As remember Washington won with Carlson and the things were saying about Rielly were very similar to him before he won

Cause to me if you can get Zacha + Sharangovich+ or something like that for Willy do it

Split that cap and address the forward depth a bit
oneX and Trickster liked this.
May 17, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Everyone knows that Nylander is on a good deal 7m X 2 front loaded contract. But geez, it's cap league. I have hundreds of Leafs 22/23 posts. I certainly would like to see a lineup whether the Leafs can keep Nylander, and sign a capable NHL goalie. Don't think I have seen such a post yet.
I don't know why folks are so enamoured with the 59m spend on Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Reilly, Muzzin and Brodie ...eight players and think the Leafs. can fill the other 16 roster spots for 23.5m.
Muzzin, Brodie and Tavares....with their NTC...aren't being traded. So the only options the Leafs have is to trade one of Nylander, Matthews, and Marner
Trickster liked this.
May 18, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: palhal
Everyone knows that Nylander is on a good deal 7m X 2 front loaded contract. But geez, it's cap league. I have hundreds of Leafs 22/23 posts. I certainly would like to see a lineup whether the Leafs can keep Nylander, and sign a capable NHL goalie. Don't think I have seen such a post yet.
I don't know why folks are so enamoured with the 59m spend on Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Reilly, Muzzin and Brodie ...eight players and think the Leafs. can fill the other 16 roster spots for 23.5m.
Muzzin, Brodie and Tavares....with their NTC...aren't being traded. So the only options the Leafs have is to trade one of Nylander, Matthews, and Marner

Depends on whether you consider Campbell a capable NHL goaltender.
May 18, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf

Unlike previous playoff series, Campbell didn't lose this one vs Tampa. I don't know if that is a ringing endorsement to bring him back because clearly, cap hit will matter. He went head to head with the best goalie in the league and kept the team in games. It's about all you can ask of a goalie who really hasn't had the experience of carrying a team.
Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
May 18, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
Go leafs go
Unlike previous playoff series, Campbell didn't lose this one vs Tampa. I don't know if that is a ringing endorsement to bring him back because clearly, cap hit will matter. He went head to head with the best goalie in the league and kept the team in games. It's about all you can ask of a goalie who really hasn't had the experience of carrying a team.

Agreed, I wouldn't be mad to see him come back, as long as he costs less than 5 mil.
May 18, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Edited May 18, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.

I have been saying 4 to 5 seasons that Rielly is not #1 D man.
Hes really good #2, that's it.

Now whether to trade Nylander for D man, that is debatable.
It is easy to point to Nylander, the second you trade him guess what your gonna be looking for? It will Nylander level talent.

To me that best way to address the issue is look at was the problem.
Yes we had depth issues, who doesnt?
I think one glaring problem that is only gonna get worse is the injuries that plagued the Leafs this season.
I know you might say something to effect... injuries? Which NHL team doesn't have those??

The issue to me directly at key pieces that getting injured more than once hampered us.
Mzraek, this signing I was never happy with... yes it had potential to go well but what really happened should have been in the back on your mind considering Mzraek's track record.
Muzzin, this man is getting older and slower... and yes more prone to injuries.
I was never a fan of extending him.
Praying and hoping he would stay healthy is and was foolish and stupid.

Both of these two to me are big question marks for next season, I don't have magic pill to fix this but addressing this has to be priority 1 or 2 to me.

What do you think?
oneX liked this.
May 18, 2022 at 8:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Well I think he is. I just know that a signing a capable NHL capable goalie (whoever he is) is going to cost a lot more than Campbell's current 1.6m cap
Trickster and Saskleaf liked this.
May 18, 2022 at 8:48 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I have been saying 4 to 5 seasons that Rielly is not #1 D man.
Hes really good #2, that's it.

Now whether to trade Nylander for D man, that is debatable.
It is easy to point to Nylander, the second you trade him guess what your gonna be looking for? It will Nylander level talent.

To me that best way to address the issue is look at was the problem.
Yes we had depth issues, who doesnt?
I think one glaring problem that is only gonna get worse is the injuries that plagued the Leafs this season.
I know you might say something to effect... injuries? Which team NHl doesn't have those??

The issue to me directly at key pieces that getting injured more than once hampered us.
Mzraek, this signing I was never happy with... yes it had potential to go well but what really happened should have been in the back on your mind considering Mzraek's track record.
Muzzin, this man is getting older and slower... and yes more prone to injuries.
I was never a fan of extending him.
Praying and hoping he would stay healthy is and was foolish and stupid.

Both of these two to me are big question marks for next season, I don't have magic pill to fix this but addressing this has to be priority 1 or 2 to me.

What do you think?

You make some good points and fair questions that have to be asked. I personally don't have any answers because nobody could/should be mad about the effort in this series so last year's playoff collapse feels so much more frustrating right now.
Trickster liked this.
May 18, 2022 at 9:07 p.m.
Go leafs go
Well I think he is. I just know that a signing a capable NHL capable goalie (whoever he is) is going to cost a lot more than Campbell's current 1.6m cap

Yes, and signing Campbell can be solved by trading Kerfoot and buying out or trading Mrazek. Again, I agree a Nylander trade is a good idea, but it is absolutely possible to keep both.
May 18, 2022 at 11:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited May 19, 2022 at 5:36 a.m.
Yes, and signing Campbell can be solved by trading Kerfoot and buying out or trading Mrazek. Again, I agree a Nylander trade is a good idea, but it is absolutely possible to keep both.

I, have seen so many post have done the cap scenario....trading 3.5m, and then his 900,000 replacement saves just 2.6, No a big cap player like Nylander has to go. If Nylander is stays, there is just isn't cap to fill the goalie needs, other forwards positions and a Dman, It's just math really. Leafs top 8 cap player makes 58.7m...That leaves 23.8m for the other 14 players. If Nylander is traded for no cap returned, its 30.8m for 16 players. Sure the RW replacement isn't as good, four other positions can be filled with competent NHLers...instead of. just "hoping"
Saskleaf liked this.
May 19, 2022 at 1:09 a.m.
Go leafs go
I, have seen so many post have done the cap scenario....trading 3.5m, and then his 900,000 replacement saves just 2.6, No a big cap player like Nylander has to go. If Nylander is stays, there is just isn't cap to fill the goalie needs, other forwards positions and a Dman, It's just math really. Leafs top 8 cap player makes 58.7m...That leaves 23.8m for the other 16 players. If Nylander is traded for no cap returned, its 30.8m for 17 players. Sure the RW replacement isn't as good, four other positions can be filled with competent NHLers...instead of. just "hoping"

Agree to disagree, because as much as I hate it, I would be surprised if both of Nylander and Campbell ARENT on the team next year.
Jun. 2, 2022 at 11:10 p.m.
Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003

I totally agre. The only way I would trade him is if the return is substantial and must include a very high Draft pick, otherwise it's an astoundingly stupid idea to move him. I love Nylander, when he is "ON" he can change a game... when he's "off" it's frustrating and I understand why people get fed up with him. Yet he's never truly been "off" in the play-offs. If someone is going to bemoan his effort (sans food poisoning) in the first 2-3 games of the Tampa series, you have to bemoan every player on the team including Mathews and Marner who also disappeared at times. Nylander was a MONSTER in those last three games.
This guy protects the puck with his body like nobody I have seen since Jagr. If you cannot see this, you are either so biased your suffering from cortana or you just don't understand the game. He has the ability to break through the middle of the ice and defensive traps consistently, whereas everyone else just get's squeezed to the outside. Then there is his poise and patience. It may look like he doesn't care, but the reality is the guy is just stone cold. Getting emotional has it's place in the game, but losing your focus and allowing the other team to exploit your frustrations ie; Kadri, Marner... is a glaring weakness that has cost us in the past.
I've reached the conclusion that anyone who craps all over Nylander displays a pedestrian understanding of the game. They are driven by a desire for satisfaction at the cost of reality... or to put it another way - ask their girlfriend if they know the fundamentals of foreplay, or do they just go gunning for the main prize? It's a valid litmus test. grin

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll